Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Honestly, from what I have seen it really depends on where the ship is sailing from.

For example, we were on a 2-week Baltic from Southampton England and at lest 95% of the men wore a tux and all but 2 men wore dark suits. Very formal group of people. Oh, the 2 were Americans and really stuck out. I'm not flaming them but I would have been uncomfortable if I did not have a suit - and even with that I felt underdressed a little.

On the other hand, shorter cruises from Florida it was very different. No tux on men, about 75% wore a suit or sport coat, and the rest were much more casual.

Check with the others on your roll call to get their opinions.

Either way, I hope all of you enjoy your cruise.

We travel on Celebrity often. We also travel with family and close friends. In the past few years, we have noticed fewer men are wearing formal attire. Many have given up ties and jackets. Most wear nice shirts and trousers. While not exactly what I would consider as formal, many men come to MDR that way. Friends of ours asked us if they should bring a jacket for formal night. They are traveling independently before the cruise and are trying to take the absolute minimum. Not packing a jacket would cut down what to pack. It makes sense to me. However, I didn't know what to say. Would they be allowed to dine on formal night in the MDR? What would you suggest?

Your friends "could" stopped by the Maitre 'D, and asked to abide by the evenings guidelines to wear a jacket.

It's a possibly.

We travel on Celebrity often. We also travel with family and close friends. In the past few years, we have noticed fewer men are wearing formal attire. Many have given up ties and jackets. Most wear nice shirts and trousers. While not exactly what I would consider as formal, many men come to MDR that way. Friends of ours asked us if they should bring a jacket for formal night. They are traveling independently before the cruise and are trying to take the absolute minimum. Not packing a jacket would cut down what to pack. It makes sense to me. However, I didn't know what to say. Would they be allowed to dine on formal night in the MDR? What would you suggest?

According to Celebrity's Dress Code for Formal Nights a jacket is required. Whether that is enforced by Celebrity is anyone's guess.

Additionally, will your friends feel out of place if they are not wearing a jacket and everyone else is dressed up? Whilst you may have observed that many have given up on Jackets and Ties that was not our experience on the Eclipse last year in the Med. I don't recall anyone in the MDR not dressed according to the Dress Code on Formal Night. Certainly not 95% Tuxedos though roughly half tuxedos and half dark suits

Edited by DYKWIA

Does your friend know all the options?

Tuxedo rental

Specialty restaurants (smart casual every night)

Room service (can order from the MDR menu)

Buffet

I'd suggest that you lay all those out for your friend -- they might solve the dilemma with one of those

My experience over the last three years of cruising on Celebrity is the same as what was observed by the OP. On cruises in Europe, Caribbean and Bermuda, I have observed more and more men without jackets in the MDR on formal nights. They really don't stand out any more because the numbers are increasing.

The one exception was our cruise last October out of Southampton, England. The passenger make-up was more than 50% Brits and I saw more tuxes on formal nights than I have in years. There were men in shirtsleeves on formal nights, but on that cruise they did stick out like sore thumbs.

Why should cruisers who want to enjoy an upscale cruising experience need to accept a downgraded "win win" experience that erodes the overall cruise experience?

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

You can have your upscale cruising experience without imposing upon others. Dress as formal as you like but show some respect for those who prefer not to.

You can have your upscale cruising experience without imposing upon others. Dress as formal as you like but show some respect for those who prefer not to.

You want him to show you some respect, yet you refuse to show Celebrity some respect by dressing appropriately for Formal Night in the MDR. How does this work? :rolleyes:

You want him to show you some respect, yet you refuse to show Celebrity some respect by dressing appropriately for Formal Night in the MDR. How does this work? :rolleyes:

That is the exact way I feel.

I really enjoy dressing formal and being around everyone else who is formal. It adds to my experience.

cle-guy - You and I are on the same page! I don't post that much on Cruise Critic, but read many of the threads on a regular basis. And, you seem to be a person with very reasonable opinions. When you book a cruise on Celebrity, the dress code for formal nights is spelled out fairly clearly, (yes, could have a few more details). However, for someone cruising on Celebrity who doesn't agree with the policy, they have several options. 1) comply with the dress code 2) eat at another venue on formal nights that does not require formal dress 3) cruise another line that does not have a formal night dress code. Maybe I'm old fashion or just "old", but we all have choices and if you do not like the Celebrity formal night dress code, make a different choice. Celebrity is a for profit business, and if people don't like what they offer, don't buy. Ignoring their rules may make some people feel they are making a statement for change, however I feel it is somewhat arrogant to ignore a stated condition of a cruise line's policy. If you haven't guessed, my wife and I enjoy the formal nights!

You're not old fashioned or old, you just have a sense of style.

What does style and class have to do with formal wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those who have no class or sense of style,would most likely not follow the cruiseline's dresscodes. Seeing that your icon shows Carnival..When was the last time you saw anyone dressed to the nines?(not including staff)on that line? It's not a dressy line. That's their schtick..casual. If you (and others)can't(or won't) adhere to a cruiseline's dresscode, then you & others should stick to those lines where casual is the norm..Carnival/NCL etc.

I have been on several different cruise lines. The latest was Celebrity. I can't say I saw much difference in Carnival passengers and Celebrity passengers. Just because one chooses to wear a tie does not mean he has class just as one who chooses to not wear a tie on vacation is not low class or trash. However I would say that who chooses to cause a scene and embarrass somebody simply because he chose not to wear a tie would indeed be lacking class.

Those who have no class or sense of style,would most likely not follow the cruiseline's dresscodes....

Like wearing a working hat to evening meal for example?

Bowler hats are not For wearing indoors and not for Formal Night, they're as relevant to formal night as a Stetson, busby or cap.

Bowler hats are not For wearing indoors and not for Formal Night, they're as relevant to formal night as a Stetson, busby or cap.

I don't know..the Brits on Cunard certainly loved it. Not something I'd wear on Celebrity.

A nice shirt & dressy(or khaki style pants) are fine any time in the specialty rest. On formal nights a jacket is required in the MDR. A sport coat is all they need to meet the standard. This should not be rocket science..We ALL get the brochures,so we ALL should know what is appropriate & what is not. Those who refuse to follow the dresscodes are classless in my opinion & can flame me all they want. Simply follow the dresscode or stick to a line where casual is the rule..NCL/Carnival!

According to Celebrity's Dress Code for Formal Nights a jacket is required. Whether that is enforced by Celebrity is anyone's guess.

Additionally, will your friends feel out of place if they are not wearing a jacket and everyone else is dressed up? Whilst you may have observed that many have given up on Jackets and Ties that was not our experience on the Eclipse last year in the Med. I don't recall anyone in the MDR not dressed according to the Dress Code on Formal Night. Certainly not 95% Tuxedos though roughly half tuxedos and half dark suits

We find the Eclipse to have a more formal following,which is why we like that ship.

Edited by keithm
Spelling

I have been on several different cruise lines. The latest was Celebrity. I can't say I saw much difference in Carnival passengers and Celebrity passengers. Just because one chooses to wear a tie does not mean he has class just as one who chooses to not wear a tie on vacation is not low class or trash. However I would say that who chooses to cause a scene and embarrass somebody simply because he chose not to wear a tie would indeed be lacking class.

Just where did I say anything about a tie?? I said on formal nights a jacket is required in the MDR. Smart casual is the norm in the specialty rest. & elsewhere. I do feel a tie just brings the whole ensemble together a bit more. If someone is dressed like a slob on formal night,(shorts & tank top fit that bill) I will make a scene & get that person booted. I don't really care a damn about your opinion on that. trust me, you'd never see me on a line like NCL/Carnival with their type of dress style. Those who choose to dress that way at formal dinner, should stick to the casual lines,period!

Another point..I wear a nice hat to the MDR,like going to any fine dining establishment, I then remove it. I don't wear a hat while dining. You may feel wearing a hat on board is like wearing it indoors. I look at it more like walking down the street to the restaurant. Then taking it off.That too hard to figure out?

I've always advocated dressing to the code. I've also advocated changing the dress code to formal optional to more accurately reflect today's changing conditions.

That is the exact way I feel.

I really enjoy dressing formal and being around everyone else who is formal. It adds to my experience.

I do not believe that one should condition their enjoyment upon how others dress. Nor should one dictate how another dresses just to enhance one's own enjoyment. That does not indicate respect of the other and one cannot ask for respect when one does not give respect.

Another point..I wear a nice hat to the MDR,like going to any fine dining establishment, I then remove it. I don't wear a hat while dining. You may feel wearing a hat on board is like wearing it indoors. I look at it more like walking down the street to the restaurant. Then taking it off.That too hard to figure out?

Some people advocate very strongly on this thread that those who do not follow the dress code should be barred from entering the MDR and should they make it as far as the table they should be ordered away.

I'm sure wearing a Bowler Hat has a certain sense of style (mcdougall flour man meets 1974 Brirish Civil Servant) but don't confuse style with class.

I've often wondered how those who feel that it shouldn't bother anyone that others fail to follow the dress code weigh in on kids in "adult" areas. As long as the kids aren't having a meltdown in Murano or doing cannonballs in the T pool, how is kids being there taking away from others' cruise experience? Why should some cruisers be expected to follow the rules when others aren't, simply because they don't agree with them?

Note: I'm not trying to advocate for dragging my kids everywhere. We've only ever done lunch with them in Murano, and only then in the wine cellar room, and a curt, "This pool's only for grownups," curtails any further discussion about the T pool or solarium with my kids.

Achievement unlocked: Dumpster fire lit. Now I just need to work gratuities into it and I win the trifecta.