Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Don't worry about what the others are wearing. Wear what you want to wear, and enjoy. Never lower your standards to fit the standards of others. My tux will be there, and I will enjoy wearing it. Styles come and go, but class never changes.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Wear what you want? :confused: That's not the right message to send to someone concerning Formal Night. Formal Night is just that -- it's Formal. I certainly understand that not everyone has formal wear, but one should at least attempt to dress up to a minimum of a coat & tie.

Wear what you want? :confused: That's not the right message to send to someone concerning Formal Night. Formal Night is just that -- it's Formal. I certainly understand that not everyone has formal wear, but one should at least attempt to dress up to a minimum of a coat & tie.

Correct, when someone tells others to wear what they want, they don't realize that by doing so they might as well be telling them, you might not be allowed into some venues. I saw it happen five weeks ago.

They were encouraging someone who wanted to dress formal but were concerned about others not being so dressed up, so in this case wear what you want was quite appropriate.

Just back today from Celebrity Summit Bermuda cruise. The dress was all over the map on both casual and formal nights. I asked the MDR front desk/reservationist about the ultra casual dress I was seeing since it did not conform to the signs posted. Saara indicated that they (dont know if it is sip or Celebrity wide) was trying out a more relaxed dress code but it wasnt posted yet because too many people were complaining about not being able to wear jeans in the dining room. I saw t-shirts and shorts in the dining room by adults (not many but enough) as well many nights. Percentage-wise, I would say about 5-10% were wearing shorts or jeans at dinner. It was so odd as I expected that on NCL (as I had experienced it 6 months ago on Breakaway) but not on Celebrity (my first time on that line).

Considering taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Summit. My husband wears a dress shirt and tie, no jacket, on formal night as do most of the men cruising out of Galveston, a 40 minute drive for us. I'm going to have a hard enough time convincing him to fly to San Juan and if he has to bring a jacket it might be a deal breaker. Is there any chance we will be turned away from the dining room?

Considering taking our first Celebrity cruise on the Summit. My husband wears a dress shirt and tie, no jacket, on formal night as do most of the men cruising out of Galveston, a 40 minute drive for us. I'm going to have a hard enough time convincing him to fly to San Juan and if he has to bring a jacket it might be a deal breaker. Is there any chance we will be turned away from the dining room?

Its more likely they will offer to give him a jacket which he doesn't have to wear, just put on the back of his chair. I did however see a couple of men turned away without a jacket last month on Summit.

Its more likely they will offer to give him a jacket which he doesn't have to wear, just put on the back of his chair. I did however see a couple of men turned away without a jacket last month on Summit.

All up to the maitre 'd. We were on the Summit June 21st to Bermuda. On a non formal night a guy came in wearing shorts, ratty ones, sleeveless tee shirt and a ball cap worn backwards. The two "suits" standing by the door didn't say anything.

No chance he will be turned away. Wearing a tie will help.

I haven't seen loaner jackets given out in a number of years.

On our June 7 Summit cruise there were people in Select Dining on a formal night in shorts. No one stopped them.

I haven't seen loaner jackets given out in a number of years.

On our June 7 Summit cruise there were people in Select Dining on a formal night in shorts. No one stopped them.

The week before in Select Dining on the Summit they were giving out loaner jackets....I always laugh because most people don't put them on, just place them over their seat.

It may be a British thing, but I am taking a DJ and Mrs S2B intends to dress up for the formal nights on our western med, 30th August. If we are the odd ones out, so be it. It's my cruise and I have paid for the privilege!

It may be a British thing, but I am taking a DJ and Mrs S2B intends to dress up for the formal nights on our western med, 30th August. If we are the odd ones out, so be it. It's my cruise and I have paid for the privilege!

Nope not just British. We'll do the same.

Can my husband wear a lounge suit rather than a dinner suit on formal nights in the MDR ?? We don't really want to go to the expense of buying a dinner suit that he may never wear again. :confused:

You mean a leisure suit circa 1968? Don't forget the shirt collar goes on the outside of the jacket.

Can my husband wear a lounge suit rather than a dinner suit on formal nights in the MDR ?? We don't really want to go to the expense of buying a dinner suit that he may never wear again. :confused:

Yes he can with or without a tie.

Can my husband wear a lounge suit rather than a dinner suit on formal nights in the MDR ??

A lounge suit, as in a dark business suit, is perfectly acceptable. While the official attire guidance says nothing about a tie, most reasonable folks assume that if you're going to put on a suit, appropriate neckwear completes the outfit.

The week before in Select Dining on the Summit they were giving out loaner jackets....I always laugh because most people don't put them on, just place them over their seat.

If Celebrity would just place jackets over the back of the chairs in the MDR, this thread could be closed.

Edited by RocketMan275

Wearing a tie is a matter of preference, as stated a gazillion times in this thread alone.

I think Celebrity would be better off opening one of the speciality restaurants for formal night and letting those who want to wear tuxes and gowns (and even mandate ties with the tuxes!) have a little party on their own. I'm not opposed to dressing up as it warrants but a lot of people these days don't think that dressing up is something you should have to do on vacay.

ETA: I think fewer and fewer people are really dressing up these days, which is why I advocate a smaller affair.

Edited by bEwAbG

I've asked on my last 4 celebrity cruises if a tie was required on formal nights in the mdr and all have said no but a jacket is...

You are indeed correct, it is not required. The policy doesn't say socks--or shoes even--are required, as long as one isn't wearing flip flops. I could wear sandals and a ratty old ball cap with my tux and still be following policy.

Folks need to stop worrying about what they can get away with and what is just this side of acceptable, etc, and instead consider meaning and intent. No, ties are not required. They are, however, a typical accoutrement to a suit, tuxedo, dinner jacket, or nearly* anything else a well-dressed gentleman is wearing. They want people to be dress to impress. If that's not your thing, there are plenty of venues to accommodate you.

* some military dress uniforms lack neckwear, which in no way takes away from their appropriateness

I'm not opposed to dressing up as it warrants but a lot of people these days don't think that dressing up is something you should have to do on vacay.

Personally, I don't think I should have to dress at all on vacation, but I'll do you all the curtsey of putting on something.

Folks need to stop worrying about what they can get away with and what is just this side of acceptable, etc, and instead consider meaning and intent. No, ties are not required. They are, however, a typical accoutrement to a suit, tuxedo, dinner jacket, or nearly* anything else a well-dressed gentleman is wearing. They want people to be dress to impress. If that's not your thing, there are plenty of venues to accommodate you.

Yes! Thank you! If you don't want to dress up on formal night, feel free to go to any of the other choices for dinner other than the MDR.

This is a decidedly out-dated mode of thinking. Formal wear etiquette was reinvented in the 1970s and no longer hews to any specific convention. Unless the invitation specifies classic black tie, then you're allowing all sorts of interpretations, including the use of no tie.

This is a decidedly out-dated mode of thinking. Formal wear etiquette was reinvented in the 1970s and no longer hews to any specific convention. Unless the invitation specifies classic black tie, then you're allowing all sorts of interpretations, including the use of no tie.

Interpreting what they mean by "formal attire" seems to be the problem. To some, it means a tuxedo, to others, it seems to mean putting on whatever they want.

I think most of us agree that formal attire includes some type of tie.

Edited by patty1955

You are indeed correct, it is not required. The policy doesn't say socks--or shoes even--are required, as long as one isn't wearing flip flops. I could wear sandals and a ratty old ball cap with my tux and still be following policy.

* some military dress uniforms lack neckwear, which in no way takes away from their appropriateness

They'd make you remove the hat when entering the MDR. It's hapened to me, but I was wearing a fedora.