Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Not to be that guy, but even the clear and concise answer is not exactly correct. It's not even a suggested option to wear a tie, though of course some people always wear a tie when they wear a jacket. However, it is a perfectly acceptable style to not wear a tie for whatever reason.

From the FAQ on Celebrity's site:

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

This applies to only the main dining room and only on formal nights. There is a sticky with the full dress code at the top of the message board, and the first post goes into more detail (and matches what is on the Celebrity website).

In my observation, very few people wear the tux anymore, so that shouldn't be a consideration unless you really want to dress up.

The number of formal nights depends on the length of cruise you take. If you have a specific sailing in mind, people might be able to give you a better idea of how many and on what nights if it's an itinerary that has regular sailings.

Not to be that guy, but even the clear and concise answer is not exactly correct. It's not even a suggested option to wear a tie, though of course some people always wear a tie when they wear a jacket. However, it is a perfectly acceptable style to not wear a tie for whatever reason.

From the FAQ on Celebrity's site:

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

This applies to only the main dining room and only on formal nights. There is a sticky with the full dress code at the top of the message board, and the first post goes into more detail (and matches what is on the Celebrity website).

In my observation, very few people wear the tux anymore, so that shouldn't be a consideration unless you really want to dress up.

The number of formal nights depends on the length of cruise you take. If you have a specific sailing in mind, people might be able to give you a better idea of how many and on what nights if it's an itinerary that has regular sailings.

n which case the sports jacket won't do either as it clearly says Diner Jacket.

Oh BTW all three TUX Suit and Diner Jacket are normally worn with a tie.

And in spite of your reliance on the FAQ a sports jacket is acceptable.

I know a sports jacket is acceptable because you could argue that it is a suit jacket. Celebrity doesn't split hairs as long as you are wearing a suit-style jacket of some sort.

The point still stands that you don't have to wear a tie. You're not required to uphold any sort of traditional style of dress or adhere to a published style guide. Styles change. I regularly attend formal events, and the attire that uses the basic tuxedo jacket as a base runs the gamut.

Thank you for the quick answers.

We're looking to get away on a last minute, very relaxing cruise. We've had a very stressful 6 months at home. If anyone wants to argue that wearing a suit is "important," let them. We're not looking to be shleppy but we just want to relax and a tux is not relaxing to MH.

dorito:

No need to quantify your reason for cruising.... just go and have fun.... and RELAX! No need to pack a tux, or a suit OR a jacket. DH can wear a nice dress shirt and tie, (easy to pack) and they MAY (or may not) hand him a jacket at the MDR entrance. He can then hang it off his chair like all the rest. You will NOT be refused entry, and you do NOT need to stress.

We were on the Summit 2 weeks ago. Formal night isn't very formal. A few men wore tuxedos. Most men wore sports jacket and slacks. Some men wore shirt and pants. Ties on the first formal night. Fewer ties and fewer jackets on the second formal night. Each time I cruise, it seems that formal night is less and less formal. Dress code doesn't seem to matter. I also saw short shorts in the MDR at dinner. The world is changing. Most people are happy with smart casual. It would be timely to change the code. Perhaps, a dress up night would be more appropriate than a formal night. Many cruise lines are completely casual.

Just off Summit. Was the most casual cruise I've ever seen. People in shorts, t-shirts and shower sandals allowed into the MDR for dinner. Formal nights are Monday and Friday. On our cruise we saw many men go into the MDR on formal night wearing slacks and sport shirts. Don't worry about clothing as it appears that the Bermuda cruises are very casual. Normandie, Blu and Luminae are no formal wear required restaurants, but no shorts are allowed. The buffet is totally casual, and really quite good in terms of food for dinner.

At the very least I wear a tie. It doesn't take up much room in ole luggage either :)

The luggage thingy is bogus. People pay $3-4K for a cruise but can't afford to bring the luggage along with them for formal night? Maybe it's just plain laziness. :rolleyes:

The world overall is getting much more casual, almost by the day! We went out to dinner last night at a classy local restaurant, and the dress code of some diners was VERY casual, outfits you would have never seen a few years ago (t shirts, rumpled shorts and jeans). Times are changing. I still say that on my recent Celebrity cruises, most men have worn at least a sport jacket on formal nights, but other people seem to have different experiences. I think the OP's question has been answered --- a sport coat for her husband will be fine.

On the first morning of my 2014 cruise on the Summit, I was getting off the elevator on my way to BLU and a gentleman and his SO were getting onto the elevator, complaining that they would not allow him into BLU for breakfast as he was wearing a tank top. Blu requires that gentlemen wear shirts with sleeves at all times, not just for dinner.

Other than that, I saw every type of shirt (except T-shirts) being worn for dinner in Blu, whether it was for formal night or e any other night.

Also be aware that smart casual is the "required" dress for attending any presentations in the theatre as well, although I have seen the enforcement of this policy being "hit and miss".

Steve

Think the problem was tank top not t shirts. I have worn t shirts in Blu for every day on my Blu cruise and so did the majority of people, men and woman. They know people don't want to go back and change before going ashore.

Just back from The Summit. My dh wore dress pants and navy blazer with shirt and tie - many men were dressed the same. There were some who appeared to flaunt the rules (including a couple with two teenager girls who wore hoodies and cut-offs), but I did not see anyone being refused entry to the dining room. Saw only 2 tuxedos - and one of those was in Normandie.

The luggage thingy is bogus. People pay $3-4K for a cruise but can't afford to bring the luggage along with them for formal night? Maybe it's just plain laziness. :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps it is something like this:

We are doing a 70 day trip in January, February and March of next year. A tiny bit of that trip is a 14 day cruise on Millennium. There is absolutely no way that I am carrying formal clothes and move them all over Asia so that someone can not be "offended" by my dress on a formal night. May wear a tie. Won't be wearing a jacket. Have been to too many formal nights and met the code each and every time to stress out about someone else's opinion.

Just off Summit. Was the most casual cruise I've ever seen. People in shorts, t-shirts and shower sandals allowed into the MDR for dinner. Formal nights are Monday and Friday. On our cruise we saw many men go into the MDR on formal night wearing slacks and sport shirts. Don't worry about clothing as it appears that the Bermuda cruises are very casual. Normandie, Blu and Luminae are no formal wear required restaurants, but no shorts are allowed. The buffet is totally casual, and really quite good in terms of food for dinner.

[emoji23] My guys might have been the polo shirt guys on the second formal night. Sorry but even I did not want to dress up formally after an excursion day. By that point in the cruise, I was completely relaxed & stated that way. Ahhhh, it was nice!

1. Which nights are they?

2. What are our dining options if we choose not to go formal on one night?

3. How formal does MH need to be? He refuses to bring his tux or full suit. Will a sport jacket suffice? Does he need a tie?

Sport jacket & tie with nice pants is fine.

Or, perhaps it is something like this:

We are doing a 70 day trip in January, February and March of next year. A tiny bit of that trip is a 14 day cruise on Millennium. There is absolutely no way that I am carrying formal clothes and move them all over Asia so that someone can not be "offended" by my dress on a formal night. May wear a tie. Won't be wearing a jacket. Have been to too many formal nights and met the code each and every time to stress out about someone else's opinion.

You should explain to Celebrity your predicament and request a loaner jacket be placed in your Stateroom to borrow for the formal nights. This is a simple solution to your dilemma.

Just back from The Summit. My dh wore dress pants and navy blazer with shirt and tie - many men were dressed the same. There were some who appeared to flaunt the rules (including a couple with two teenager girls who wore hoodies and cut-offs), but I did not see anyone being refused entry to the dining room. Saw only 2 tuxedos - and one of those was in Normandie.

I was on that cruise. Saw guys in shorts, tee shirts and hats on backward on the formal nights. No one said a word to them.

I was on that cruise. Saw guys in shorts, tee shirts and hats on backward on the formal nights. No one said a word to them.

So much for good taste & style. We as pax, who don't like it, should address our complaints to both the Maitre D & guest services. If it's around the ship, unfortunately not much will be done. If it's in the MDR, well then, a good complaint to the Maitre D is in order.

So much for good taste & style. We as pax, who don't like it, should address our complaints to both the Maitre D & guest services. If it's around the ship, unfortunately not much will be done. If it's in the MDR, well then, a good complaint to the Maitre D is in order.

Perhaps you should check out circumstances, how do you know that maybe this person did not get their luggage, I have seen that happen. MYOB

Perhaps you should check out circumstances, how do you know that maybe this person did not get their luggage, I have seen that happen. MYOB

I undserstand that & it's fine, but if it's say a week out, I'd say there's something wrong there.

The question of the dress code in the specialty restaurants and Blu on formal nights has been hashed out before on these boards. In late December 2012 and early January 2013, there was a long discussion of the issue because several ships were requiring formal wear on formal nights in the specialty restaurants. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757572&highlight=dress+code+formal) Using the Wayback Machine, I compared the text of the Packing section on the website posted by Host Andy with the same section as it existed in October 2012. The two Packing sections were identical. Then as now, the dress code FAQ noted that the dress code in the specialty restaurants and Blu was smart casual and above at all times regardless of the dress code in the main restaurant.

Host Andy and another poster asked for clarification from Celebrity. The official Celebrity Cruises poster ("Celebrity Cruises") wrote:

Celebrity Guests,

Our dress code for specialty restaurants remains smart casual for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the Main Dining Room. Thanks to all who have participated and this discourse to make us aware of any inconsistencies. Please keep us updated on the issue.

Thanks

Celebrity Cruises Manager (E.S.P)

(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36516897&postcount=167)

A reply on behalf of Mr. Bailey said in part:

Our Specialty Dining Venues onboard have a dress code of Smart Casual or

above. The definition of Smart Casual is as follows. Guest of course can

choose to dress more formally on Formal nights if they so wish.

(http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36544945&postcount=188)

So in spite of the language in the Packing section, the FAQ on the dress code prevails and officially, Celebrity only requires smart casual and above in specialty restaurants and Blu at all times. Clearly, the Packing section text needs to be modified to bring it into compliance with the Celebrity dress code.

Finally, if you explore each restaurant via the restaurant description section (http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants), all of the specialty restaurants and Blu indicate a smart casual dress code at all times. Only the main restaurant indicates a variable dress code. Its dress code is shown as "Smart Casual and Above most days; Formal Attire on Formal Nights."

Hope this helps.

Dave

Looking for a simple YES or No answer. Is Dave's answer still the case?

Yes...only the MDR requires formal attire. Blu and Specialty restaurants are smart casual and above every night

We were going to rent DH a tux and white jacket but we will instead eat in Blu or a Specialty restaurant on those nights. So glad to hear that we have options that are more than acceptable to us without having to bend any Celebrity rules. Well done Celebrity!:)

On formal night recently, on the Constellation in the MDR, a man wearing khaki shorts was seated near us. At another table across from us was a teenager wearing short shorts and a tank top with sequins on it. No one at either table was dressed in formal or dressy attire. My husband always wears a suit/tie and I wear semi formal. I guess packing is an issue for those that fly.