Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

You are indeed correct, it is not required. The policy doesn't say socks--or shoes even--are required, as long as one isn't wearing flip flops. I could wear sandals and a ratty old ball cap with my tux and still be following policy.

Folks need to stop worrying about what they can get away with and what is just this side of acceptable, etc, and instead consider meaning and intent. No, ties are not required. They are, however, a typical accoutrement to a suit, tuxedo, dinner jacket, or nearly* anything else a well-dressed gentleman is wearing. They want people to be dress to impress. If that's not your thing, there are plenty of venues to accommodate you.

* some military dress uniforms lack neckwear, which in no way takes away from their appropriateness

Your right and I do choose to dine where I am accommodated... The MDR without a tie!! [emoji57]

They'd make you remove the hat when entering the MDR. It's hapened to me, but I was wearing a fedora.

I have never been asked to remove mine, nor has my son. Upon arriving at the table, we place them under our chair, where they remain until leaving the table.

I have never been asked to remove mine, nor has my son. Upon arriving at the table, we place them under our chair, where they remain until leaving the table.

After the first night the same happened with me. I'd just tell them I'd remove it once seated. There was never a problem after that.

Considering the amount of forum traffic generated by dress regs, you would have thought that Celebrity could be completely unambiguous. However, judging by the rest of their website, it is not the only conflicting information. The literature we read about the Alcoves didn't mention that you pay for the picnic baskets in there. After we booked (and paid nearly £100), we found an entirely different page informing us that we did. Back to the dress, on our only previous Celebrity cruise on the only formal evening, our table of 6 consisted of 3 women; 2 in formal dresses, the other in casual and 3 men; one in Dinner suit (Tux), one in what I would call smart i.e. suit but no tie and one in Chinos and a polo shirt. The 4th couple left because they felt so underdressed. Nothing was said by the maitre'd. I'm all for dress codes on formal nights but they must enforce it properly.

My partner and I have been on a handful of cruises. When dining in the MDR on formal night have always worn a tuxedo (with tie, LOL).

Last few cruises, when staying in Aqua Class or in a Suite, we don't Tux-it-Up on formal nights, as formal wear is not required in specialty dining. We're not dressed in ratty jeans either, but are more business casual with slacks and button down. Sometimes a nice pair of dark jeans, button down and a dark blazer / sports coat, or Khakis and a sports coat - no tie.

What's that expression, "Fashion fades but style is eternal"? I think most formal wear represents a particular style. Ladies and gentlemen most always look amazing when dressed up.

Edited by Mermen

Good idea!

The original post should be amended with Celebrity's wording for the Specialty restaurants in that they are Smart Casual every night. The way the Celebrity quote reads makes it sound like there are 2 codes--"Smart Casual and Above and Formal" in "all restaurants." Not a big deal but could confuse some new cruisers.

Thanks!

We will be cruising in October - Aqua Class - so we can dress smart casual? Hope so. Have cruised Azamara twice. Love Smart casual.

We will be cruising in October - Aqua Class - so we can dress smart casual? Hope so. Have cruised Azamara twice. Love Smart casual.

Any many other will also... [emoji4]

As stated many times, when in Rome... (yes, cruise ships are in Rome)

Celebrity is actually owned by a Scandinavian company (Royal Caribbean International). It's Norwegian. Formerly Celebrity was owned by Greeks.

Did you know that? I didn't.

Regarding hats in the MDR. As a retired solider,we were taught that only time you kept your cover(hat)on in doors was when you were carrying a weapon. Read gun. I don't think there are many cruisers carrying. Take your hat off when you are not on deck outside.

Regarding hats in the MDR. As a retired solider,we were taught that only time you kept your cover(hat)on in doors was when you were carrying a weapon. Read gun. I don't think there are many cruisers carrying. Take your hat off when you are not on deck outside.

My great grandmother would have been likely to knock the hat off the head of any man who wore it indoors.

I'm not personally a fan of jeans on board at night, but it does pass muster as far as smart casual goes. The 2 jackets & trousers should do him fine for formal nights. Even 1 jacket is fine, just mix & match ties & he's good to go.

Great, the Armani jeans will travel even if they are in the company of the polyester m&S wannabes

This is the dress code directly from the Celebrity Cruises website. It is the same for ALL ships and ALL itineraries (except for the Expedition, I believe). It is THE dress code - there is no "realistic" dress code. If you don't feel it is "realistic", or don't feel it is right for you, perhaps check into another cruise line.

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

So are you saying I can't wear a frock on smart casual nights ? This dress code thing gets more bizarre by the week.

So are you saying I can't wear a frock on smart casual nights ? This dress code thing gets more bizarre by the week.

Of course you can wear a frock. The list is intended as a guide to acceptable dress, not an all inclusive list. Men, for example, do not have to wear a golf shirt; a dress shirt would be completely acceptable.

LOL - I personally didn't say a darn thing. I simply copied the dress code from the Celebrity website.

Whatever a "frock" may be, as long as it is at least smart casual based on Celebrity's dress code, you can wear it.

:eek:

LOL - I personally didn't say a darn thing. I simply copied the dress code from the Celebrity website.

Whatever a "frock" may be, as long as it is at least smart casual based on Celebrity's dress code, you can wear it.

:eek:

Some frocks would even look good on Formal Night, especially picture #2 in the upper left-hand corner. :D:D

https://www.google.com/search?q=What+does+a+frock+look+like&biw=1920&bih=934&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDwQ7AlqFQoTCIuV24XR9MYCFZP2gAod1lwApA&dpr=1

Some frocks would even look good on Formal Night, especially picture #2 in the upper left-hand corner. :D:D

https://www.google.com/search?q=What+does+a+frock+look+like&biw=1920&bih=934&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDwQ7AlqFQoTCIuV24XR9MYCFZP2gAod1lwApA&dpr=1

Despite how much I do not like formal nights, I would rent a tux just to watch the reactions in the MDR.

We ate in Luminae, Blu, Qsine, buffet - there was never a meal that someone was NOT wearing a baseball cap - even on both formal nights.

Please enlighten me. Why on earth would anyone wear a baseball cap to dinner? I can understand if it is worn at lunchtime because people are coming in out of the sun. But at dinner time?