Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

On formal night recently' date=' on the Constellation in the MDR, a man wearing khaki shorts was seated near us. At another table across from us was a teenager wearing short shorts and a tank top with sequins on it. No one at either table was dressed in formal or dressy attire. My husband always wears a suit/tie and I wear semi formal. I guess packing is an issue for those that fly.[/quote']

We always have to fly to our Port of embarkation and packing is never an issue for us!

People...Moses did not bring Celebrity's dress codes down from the Mount! There are no "dress police" on patrol and nobody really cares what you wear. Just use good judgment and enjoy the cruise

No but they do ask that you meet certain standards and ignoring that request by your host is plain rude in my opinion.

Edited by GUT2407

People...Moses did not bring Celebrity's dress codes down from the Mount! There are no "dress police" on patrol and nobody really cares what you wear. Just use good judgment and enjoy the cruise

There are no dress police but the cruise line has the authority and the right to refuse you entry into a dining room.

.....There are no "dress police" on patrol ....

but there are some "dress vigilantes" who may report you and boot you off "their" table apparently

..... and nobody really cares what you wear.

You'd like to think so wouldn't you. Read this entire thread and you'll realise otherwise

Edited by DYKWIA

but there are some "dress vigilantes" who may report you and boot you off "their" table apparently

You'd like to think so wouldn't you. Read this entire thread and you'll realise otherwise

How about addressing the subject rather than the people.

On the other hand, if you are dining on formal night at a table with strangers or anyone you know is fussy about dress codes then why would you willingly antagonise them by ignoring the dress code?

If you are at a separate table then what you wear is between you and the Maître D' but at a large table you must have some consideration for the other guests.

On the other hand, if you are dining on formal night at a table with strangers or anyone you know is fussy about dress codes then why would you willingly antagonise them by ignoring the dress code?

Totally agree, and I suspect most people wouldn't wish to either.

As we have seen in the last 1100 posts this is a strange subject area - a small number of people have very passionate views on the issue from both sides. If this thread was just "what is the dress code" it would have finished about 1050 posts ago...and perhaps not helped by Celebrity's inconsistent approach to the enforcement of their Dress Code.

Edited by DYKWIA

If you are at a separate table then what you wear is between you and the Maître D' but at a large table you must have some consideration for the other guests.

How exactly does one boot someone else from the table because they showed up in shorts and tee shirt on formal night?

What if they are already seated when you arrive? Do you say "yo dude, y'all ain't dressed right. Get up and leave, don't let the door hit you in the ass"

If they arrive after you are seated gets a little easier. You politely and with a modicum of respect say "bro, what's with the Seaside Heights boardwalk look? Don't you know this is a classy place. Go sit somewhere else"

Would love to be there for these discussions.

Since each individual is responsible for their own reactions, the "fussy" ones are 'antagonizing' themselves.

Just as others at the large table "must have some consideration for the other guests" who desire to dress differently.

No but they do ask that you meet certain standards and ignoring that request by your host is plain rude in my opinion.

It seems to me that how you see this depends on how you see your relationship with Celebrity. Some see X as their "host" and themselves as guests, as you would if you were invited to a private party. So it seems rude to them to disregard X's dress request. Others see X as a business, themselves as paying customers and the relationship as a purely business one. So they expect that "the customer is always right " as with any quality customer-oriented business.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

How exactly does one boot someone else from the table because they showed up in shorts and tee shirt on formal night?

What if they are already seated when you arrive? Do you say "yo dude, y'all ain't dressed right. Get up and leave, don't let the door hit you in the ass"

If they arrive after you are seated gets a little easier. You politely and with a modicum of respect say "bro, what's with the Seaside Heights boardwalk look? Don't you know this is a classy place. Go sit somewhere else"

We've never booted anyone from a table BUT we did refuse to be seated at a table once :eek: I know, I know this sounds snobby and truthfully we aren't those kind of people - I love everyone but I was trying to save everyone from an awkward situation.:o I certainly did not wish to embarrass them or us but in retrospect my abrupt about turn before we reached the table probably was noticed and if it was I am deeply sorry. In a split second I just bolted because we were in tux and full ball gown - the table of two couples, who may have been traveling together, were not up to the bare minimum of the dress code - while I'm sure that these people where very nice - I was going to feel extremely out of place with them and I would guess (but of course do not know for sure) that they may have felt the same. I would liken it to eating in full formal at McDonalds - and as it was formal night I didn't feel that I should have to be made to feel bad. Instead we opted for a table for two and did so on all formal nights to avoid the same situation. Flame away, call me whatever you will but until that has actually happened to you - you have no idea how awkward it is.

It seems to me that how you see this depends on how you see your relationship with Celebrity. Some see X as their "host" and themselves as guests, as you would if you were invited to a private party. So it seems rude to them to disregard X's dress request. Others see X as a business, themselves as paying customers and the relationship as a purely business one. So they expect that "the customer is always right " as with any quality customer-oriented business.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Perhaps. But it's more likely that some enjoy dressing up and others don't. All the arguments for/against are simply attempts to justify individual preferences which should not have to be justified. I really don't care whether someone shows up in a ball gown or in shorts. Dress as you like and don't try to dictate what someone else wears. Everyone will be much happier.

Perhaps. But it's more likely that some enjoy dressing up and others don't. All the arguments for/against are simply attempts to justify individual preferences which should not have to be justified. I really don't care whether someone shows up in a ball gown or in shorts. Dress as you like and don't try to dictate what someone else wears. Everyone will be much happier.

Knowing what the dress code is, I think it is just pure arrogance for someone to show up in shorts and/or t-shirt on formal night. Follow it or attempt to follow it, or head to the buffet.

It's too bad some folks have the attitude it's my cruise so I'll wear what I freaking want. :rolleyes:

Knowing what the dress code is, I think it is just pure arrogance for someone to show up in shorts and/or t-shirt on formal night. Follow it or attempt to follow it, or head to the buffet.

It's too bad some folks have the attitude it's my cruise so I'll wear what I freaking want. :rolleyes:

While I would never show up in shorts for any dinner in the MDR (especially formal nights), it wouldn't bother me the least if someone else did.

You do what I've done..You complain to the Maitre D. We get tables for 2 to avoid this for the most part. If I see someone on formal night dressed in tank top shorts & sneakers(crappy sneakers,mind you)I'll complain. On Cunard I complained directly to the person & yes, got him booted out.I mean really, bathing shorts & tattered tank top. We found this slob had planned this on purpose. Trust me, I really bitched out the Maitre D for allowing him entry in the first place.."Oh we're afraid to upset paying customers." Was his reply"Well, how about those of us who choose the line for it's adherance to formal dresscodes." was mine! Sorry, all you PC folks. I pay good money to travel in reasonably nice attire, I don't need a bunch of sloppy dressed pax who like to shove it everyones else's face. There's a dresscode..either follow it of choose another line that caters to pax who have no respect for others or a sense of decorum.

While I would never show up in shorts for any dinner in the MDR (especially formal nights), it wouldn't bother me the least if someone else did.

Unfortunately, that's the attitude that is causing the sloppy downward spiral of dresscodes.

To all you people who complain about people and are proud to get people kicked out of a dining room. Get a life. Enjoy YOUR vacation. I could care less what anyone else does.

No one really cares what YOU wear on YOUR vacation. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the dress code policy. It's a virtue some were taught growing up. :rolleyes:

I mostly agree by the way. I just think taking it to the extreme of being proud of getting people kicked out of the dining room IS a bit extreme. Unfortunately respect has mostly gone the way of the dinosaur. I have read threads that jeans in the dining room on formal night ruined a persons experience etc etc. that's just nuts.