Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Hello, quick question on shirts for Blu (or MDR, or Speciality).

I noticed a while back that someone mentioned long sleeves.

Are short sleeved dress shirts a no no?

I understand that dress codes are a divisive subject, so I would appreciate observations rather than opinions if that doesn't sound too cheeky.

Thanks.

Short sleeves (dress or otherwise) in Blu and most specialty restaurants are common. So long as it has a collar it should pass muster.

Short sleeves are fine...."short sleeve dress shirts" are silly! Wear a golf/polo shirt, if you want short sleeves!

There are plenty of short sleeve shirt styles available for men that are not golf/polo style. For example http://www.amazon.com/Joes-USA-Wrinkle-Resistant-Shirts-XL/dp/B00SNO36V0

They are not silly, they look nicer than golf/polo shirts (especially when those are a getting a little out of shape as they are prone to do being knits) and are fine on non-formal nights.

Hubby is wondering whether he should bring a tux. We are sailing on a 12 night Northern European cruise on the Silhouette with 3 formal nights. My thought is this cruise might be a little more formal. He is torn between tux, suit or blazer. Any thoughts on what the majority of guys favor for formal wear for this type of cruise. Thanks, everyone.

Or eat in specialty restaurants on all three formal nights and just wear an open collar with a blazer and you'll more than fit the dress code there and feel pretty good about being "with" the ambiance of the ship when you're out and about in the ship. That's what my husband does. We eat in Blu (or Luminae) on formal nights so it's not required.

Besides, I've always felt that the MDR is just not as special as a specialty, so on formal night that's what we've done since our first cruise. Plus as a bonus you get to avoid the napkin waving and waiters parading around.

I have to make three comments about my recent Summit cruise to Bermuda. What I do since I am known on this board is ask my wife questions on dress on the ship. She does not do Cruise Critic and has very little knowledge about the controversies over dress. Remember this is a Bermuda cruise.

More and more men not wearing ties.

First time we believe that there were more men in Sports Coats then in suits and Tuxes combined. Remember Sports Coats are technically not in the dress code.

Very few tuxes, probably between 5 to 10 %.

Haven't been on a cruise for 12 years and I thought I should ask what is the dress code for dinner for Celebrity's Infinity on Alaska cruises - and what is the "realistic" dress code? For SS America, qSine, and the main restaurant?

Sailing on the Infinity again in a few weeks. Thx!

Edited by Golfingmoron

Haven't been on a cruise for 12 years and I thought I should ask what is the dress code for dinner for Celebrity's Infinity on Alaska cruises - and what is the "realistic" dress code? For SS America, qSine, and the main restaurant?

This is the dress code directly from the Celebrity Cruises website. It is the same for ALL ships and ALL itineraries (except for the Expedition, I believe). It is THE dress code - there is no "realistic" dress code. If you don't feel it is "realistic", or don't feel it is right for you, perhaps check into another cruise line.

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Did Alaska last year and it was much more informal than other cruises even my cruise last week on Summit to Bermuda. Very few tuxes, men did wear jackets to the MDR on formal nights. Specialty restaurants were mostly the smart casual dress code and we ate in Blu which also was smart casual.

Tuxedo isn't a requirement. Only a jacket. IMHO, men are overdressed in tuxedos, but it's formal night - if he wants to wear a tux, wear a tux. I'd say formal nights were 40ish% sport coat and 50ish% suit, with fewer than 10% in either tuxes or 'out of compliance'.

Also, the people commenting about napkin waving and waiter parades -- those don't happen anymore.

Also, the people commenting about napkin waving and waiter parades -- those don't happen anymore.

They happened on our recent eclipse Norwegian fjords cruise... Unfortunately [emoji57]

Going to keep watching this thread but so far the "realistic" dress code seems to be tuxedo is optional on formal nights. Certainly more tuxedos on formal nights years ago.

Correct - Tux is optional. Dinner jacket or suit would be just fine. There were very few men in a tux on our May 17 Bermuda cruise, but they looked very good.

Oh, and napkin waving was also (surprisingly) happening on our cruise on the last night in the MDR.

I thought (hoped) it would not have happened.

I actually was sick by the time I got back home - and now that I think of it.....I am wondering if I might have caught something that way. (I did NOT wave my napkin, and neither did my partner. We both were more than a little surprised they were still doing that.)

Napkin waving shouldn't be allowed. It's bad enough folks don't cover their mouth when they cough. Waving napkins around after folks have wiped their mouth with them is a pretty disgusting thing to do.

Correct - Tux is optional. Dinner jacket or suit would be just fine.

Dinner Jacket is British for what American's call a Tuxedo jacket. So really, the suggested dress for men is a Tuxedo or suit. Key word being "suggested", not required.

Edited by DWhit

I know there are thousands of posts on dress code on celebrity but instead of reading through all of them I am hoping someone can summarize what you can "acutally" wear in the dinning room and not what is recommended/preferred. People debate back and forth what they feel is acceptable but I want to know what I can comfortably wear and am perfectly okay if I am slightly under dressed.

Is it appropriate for a man to wear either khakis, dress pants, or jeans in the dinning room with a nice polo shirt?

Formal night: Is slacks and a button down dress shirt appropriate? Or does one need a tie or jacket?

Thanks for your help in advance - deciding if I should give X a try.

I know there are thousands of posts on dress code on celebrity but instead of reading through all of them I am hoping someone can summarize what you can "acutally" wear in the dinning room and not what is recommended/preferred. People debate back and forth what they feel is acceptable but I want to know what I can comfortably wear and am perfectly okay if I am slightly under dressed.

Is it appropriate for a man to wear either khakis, dress pants, or jeans in the dinning room with a nice polo shirt?

Formal night: Is slacks and a button down dress shirt appropriate? Or does one need a tie or jacket?

Thanks for your help in advance - deciding if I should give X a try.

You need a jacket on formal night. You don't have to wear the tie.

Other nights, nice khakis or dress jeans are allowed. No holes or rips.

Here is the actual dress code from the Celebrity website:

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all time onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

The interpretation, compliance, and enforcement of this will vary.

I,m an elite cruiser and I never wear a jacket to formal night. People who tell you that are trying to advance there own adjenda. Your on vacation wear what you want and forget these "suggestions" they are just stating hat they want to see. Just remember to dress respectively. Oh yeah I only book suites. So I pay for my choices.

My wife are repeating this year the cruise we did on the Eclipse to the Med last year. Last year Formal night was very well followed with a lot of people dressing up for the occasion, no obvious code breaking, and a good percentage wearing the full Dinner suit garb.

Will be interesting to see what a year does and whether there is any noticeable change.

I,m an elite cruiser and I never wear a jacket to formal night. People who tell you that are trying to advance there own adjenda. Your on vacation wear what you want and forget these "suggestions" they are just stating hat they want to see. Just remember to dress respectively. Oh yeah I only book suites. So I pay for my choices.

This is the Celebrity board.

Just to start off its "I'm an elite cruiser..."

Somewhere within this post I'm sure I have made a comment on the fact that for formal nights a jacket is required in the MDR... Now this was not posted to influence anyone it was posted as I had asked on the 3 previous celebrity cruises I have been on and that's what I've been told! [emoji57] personally I don't like wearing jackets so why would I be trying to tell people they should wear one just to please me!!

I'm guessing more to the point you are trying to encourage people to lower the dress code to make you feel more at home in whatever you choose to wear!! [emoji33]

Enforced or not the dress code does include a jacket in the MDR on formal nights...

Maybe you should dine in your suite then you can dine in whatever you like!! [emoji57]