Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Whoa, I think you may have opened up a can of worms here. Hats and caps are not considered prosthetic devices. A prosthetic device is defined as "an artificial replacement for a body part such as an arm, leg, knee, etc.". Your insurance company "might" reimburse you for a wig, but I'm pretty sure they'll deny your claim for a Chicago Cubs or Red Sox cap.

I think most of us know he was joking.

What you don't seem to realise is that for some people hats and caps are prosthetic devices decided to disguise the appalling disability of a rapidly receding hairline. Are you truly advocating that these poor people openly display the shameful truth of their follicly-challenged scalps at the dinner table?

Receding? Sorry,baby! It's gone & went! Why, if Don Rickles & I put our heads together,We'd get an ass!

But from what I'm to understand, Celebrity will turn you away if not conforming to the recommended dress attire for the evening. Don't really want to miss a nice dinner in the main dining room because I didn't bring along a suit and tie.

Suit and tie is not the minimum standard. A jacket perhaps but that is becoming more and more debatable. A tie is definitely not required.

Suit and tie is not the minimum standard. A jacket perhaps but that is becoming more and more debatable. A tie is definitely not required.

There is no "perhaps" about a jacket. Please stop giving incorrect information. That may be your desire but it is not true. Suit and tie is actually the minimum standard according to Celebrity but they are not enforcing it. People are being admitted with sports coats but it is not the official dress code. The great majority of passengers do as requested.

Edited by Ma Bell

There is no "perhaps" about a jacket. Please stop giving incorrect information. That may be your desire but it is not true. Suit and tie is actually the minimum standard according to Celebrity but they are not enforcing it. People are being admitted with sports coats but it is not the official dress code. The great majority of passengers do as requested.

My point about enforcement is exactly that. Do not agree that the "majority" are suit and tie or higher. "Times they are a changing"

My point about enforcement is exactly that. Do not agree that the "majority" are suit and tie or higher. "Times they are a changing"

Ma Bell is correct, this board is for correct information. I certainly do not want to give false info and have someone go on a cruise and not be allowed entry to the MDR based upon something I told them. I saw it happen five weeks ago.

Well follow the code as established or choose another line.Simple as that. The world does NOT revolve around you!

You'll find that most European cruises DO follow the dress code. No "debatable" jacket issue...and ties were worn.

Respect for dress code guidelines were followed.

perhaps we are in the minority . we go on a cruise to enjoy ourselves . have been on a few now and have always had a great time and met fabulous people. I havent encountered any issues with fashionistas or chair hogs or tipping inspectors .

we like to dress up on formal nights but not bothered what others do - if someone is way out if line i am sure the wonderful staff will deal with it in a calm and quiet way without the anger being displayed on here.

i will never wear a 'Tuxedo' though but always wear a Dinner Jacket' on formal nights.

Edited by LA_Design

Jackets are permitted on Formal Nights, as long as they are Dinner Jackets, which these days come a wide variety of styles and colours.

A 'Dinner Jacket' is a satin lapelled jacket (like what you'd see in a Tuxedo).

A suit jacket and a blazer (or sport coat) are pretty much exactly the same thing in 2015, the only difference being the suit jacket comes with matching pants. If you wear the suit jacket without its matching pants it's, incredibly, a blazer.

You guys throw so many terms around without even knowing what you're talking about :P That only becomes clear when you actually GO on a cruise and look around and everyone's wearing mall 'gowns' and 30 year old suits worn to a sheen. A tiny handful of people standout. Most everyone else looks like your average suburban wedding.

A 'Dinner Jacket' is a satin lapelled jacket (like what you'd see in a Tuxedo).

A suit jacket and a blazer (or sport coat) are pretty much exactly the same thing in 2015, the only difference being the suit jacket comes with matching pants. If you wear the suit jacket without its matching pants it's, incredibly, a blazer.

You guys throw so many terms around without even knowing what you're talking about :P That only becomes clear when you actually GO on a cruise and look around and everyone's wearing mall 'gowns' and 30 year old suits worn to a sheen. A tiny handful of people standout. Most everyone else looks like your average suburban wedding.

Dinner jackets are mentioned way back probably in the first five pages of this thread. When you think of a Dinner Jacket, think James Bond movies. Sports coats are not dinner jackets, its really an age thing at this point.

Edited by dkjretired

We just got off the Solstice 7-day RT Seattle Alaska loop. We skipped first formal night to go to Tuscan Grill. Second formal night we saw exactly one gentleman in a tux. Majority of men in suit and tie. Sizable minority of men in jacket but no tie or tie but no jacket, and another small number of men in a nice shirt with no tie or jacket.

The only time we saw someone turned away was on a smart casual night when a man in a sleeveless t-shirt and flip-flops was asked to leave. He stalked out with an angry look on his face.

This is my first time cruising with Celebrity, but not my first cruise. This topic drags on over and over on all the mass cruise ship boards. Which is quite alright because it is a discussion.

I just got off the phone with a Celebrity agent yesterday.

I asked "Do you have to wear formal wear in the specialty restaurants on formal night?"

His reply was much more than what I asked, he replied "You don't have to wear formal wear in any restaurant or the MDR on formal night" "As long as you look neat and presentable, with a collared button down or pullover collar

for men, and women have many options"

So as the years go on, and the older generation no longer cruises things will continue to change.

Personally, My husband wears a suit or jacket and tie, and I dress in a pant-suit or skirt. I'm not the evening gown type, but I just wanted to let you know my experience on the phone yesterday.

Thanks for listening! Looking forward to Celebrity!

His reply was much more than what I asked, he replied "You don't have to wear formal wear in any restaurant or the MDR on formal night" "As long as you look neat and presentable, with a collared button down or pullover collar for men, and women have many options"

I'd be curious to know how many cruises (specifically, Celebrity cruises) he's been on.

Yes, you don't have to wear formal wear on formal night. Similarly, the MDR doesn't have to allow you to be seated when you're not wearing formal wear on a formal night. You probably will be, but that's all up to the maitre d'. Once you stop following the rules, it's at their discretion.

Folks have received all manner and sort of errant advice from CSR's on the phone. Fortunately for you, being barred from the MDR for one night for not having formal wear ranks pretty low. There are plenty of tales all across CC of folks who have been denied boarding and have missed ports because of incomplete/incorrect advice from CSR's. The unfortunate thing is that all too often, it's for things that they could have found clearly laid out online on their own.

This is my first time cruising with Celebrity, but not my first cruise. This topic drags on over and over on all the mass cruise ship boards. Which is quite alright because it is a discussion.

I just got off the phone with a Celebrity agent yesterday.

I asked "Do you have to wear formal wear in the specialty restaurants on formal night?"

His reply was much more than what I asked, he replied "You don't have to wear formal wear in any restaurant or the MDR on formal night" "As long as you look neat and presentable, with a collared button down or pullover collar

for men, and women have many options"

So as the years go on, and the older generation no longer cruises things will continue to change.

Personally, My husband wears a suit or jacket and tie, and I dress in a pant-suit or skirt. I'm not the evening gown type, but I just wanted to let you know my experience on the phone yesterday.

Thanks for listening! Looking forward to Celebrity!

Sorry, don't buy it. Easy to give your side of a phone conversation. After 23 cruises on X the dress code for the MDR has been and remains jacket or suit and tie for men. Dresses for women. There are all kinds of interpretations but this the minimum. Men will in all probability be seated if they have slacks and dress shirt. Lot depends on itinerary. Caribbean from Miam is different than Europe from London.

Sorry, don't buy it. Easy to give your side of a phone conversation. After 23 cruises on X the dress code for the MDR has been and remains jacket or suit and tie for men. Dresses for women. There are all kinds of interpretations but this the minimum. Men will in all probability be seated if they have slacks and dress shirt. Lot depends on itinerary. Caribbean from Miam is different than Europe from London.

Replies like this, are why I was debating whether or not to share my info., "Easy to give your side of a phone conversation." (quote above). That was the phone conversation, I have no reason to lie especially since my husband and I have never broken the "Rules".

?.......After 23 cruises on X the dress code for the MDR has been and remains jacket or suit and tie for men. Dresses for women. .

Unless those 23 cruises have all been in the last 3 years or so then the dress code has changed - didn't it used to be stricter with 3 different levels of dress?

Trousers for women are also acceptable, Celebrity's website explicitly mentions dressy trouser suits as been acceptable for Formal Night.

Tie for men is also not required, although most men do wear them.

Celebrity don't make their rules on Formal Dress easy. Two of their web sites pages offer different advice. On one they state "examples of forma attire INCLUDE"

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/book/important-sailing-information.html

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/learn/dining/attire

I suspect Formal Dress is Celebrity's equivalent of the embarrassing uncle, airbrushed out of the photos but still part of the family. The Brochures show no one wearing it, on a lot of the ships it doesn't seem to be enforced, and does it fit in with their Modern Luxury philosophy? But a lot of their guests still like it so they keep it. I'm sure at some stage it will be watered down further perhaps, "Formal preferred"

Edited by DYKWIA

Unless those 23 cruises have all been in the last 3 years or so then the dress code has changed - didn't it used to be stricter with 3 different levels of dress?

Trousers for women are also acceptable, Celebrity's website explicitly mentions dressy trouser suits as been acceptable for Formal Night.

Tie for men is also not required, although most men do wear them.

Celebrity don't make their rules on Formal Dress easy. Two of their web sites pages offer different advice. On one they state "examples of forma attire INCLUDE"

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/book/important-sailing-information.html

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/learn/dining/attire

I suspect Formal Dress is Celebrity's equivalent of the embarrassing uncle, airbrushed out of the photos but still part of the family. The Brochures show no one wearing it, on a lot of the ships it doesn't seem to be enforced, and does it fit in with their Modern Luxury philosophy? But a lot of their guests still like it so they keep it. I'm sure at some stage it will be watered down further perhaps, "Formal preferred"

It's always a mystery to me that if someone has been on a lot of Celebrity cruises they don't seem to be believed but those with one or two under their belts are experts on the subject.

The two examples of the dress code you gave were basically the same. I find it interesting that people interpret the lack of a specific mention of a tie as meaning they shouldn't be worn. If someone is actually going to abide by the written dress code it seems that a tie is part of the package when wearing a suit, tux or dinner jacket. There seem to be a few men that don't know what a dinner jacket is and interpret it to be a sport coat. It is a tuxedo jacket of a different color than black.

Obviously there are men who wear sport coats and are admitted to the MDR as well as a few in various stages of dress who may or may not be admitted.

I will admit that very few of my cruises are to the Caribbean but I spend about 6 weeks a year on Celebrity and have done so for a long time. I still see the vast majority of cruisers abiding by the dress code. Most people don't read Cruise Critic and do read the information given to them by Celebrity and do their best to look nice if they are dining in the MDR on formal nights.

Edited by Ma Bell

It's always a mystery to me that if someone has been on a lot of Celebrity cruises they don't seem to be believed but those with one or two under their belts are experts on the subject.

The two examples of the dress code you gave were basically the same. I find it interesting that people interpret the lack of a specific mention of a tie as meaning they shouldn't be worn. If someone is actually going to abide by the written dress code it seems that a tie is part of the package when wearing a suit, tux or dinner jacket. There seem to be a few men that don't know what a dinner jacket is and interpret it to be a sport coat. It is a tuxedo jacket of a different color than black.

Obviously there are men who wear sport coats and are admitted to the MDR as well as a few in various stages of dress who may or may not be admitted.

I will admit that very few of my cruises are to the Caribbean but I spend about 6 weeks a year on Celebrity and have done so for a long time. I still see the vast majority of cruisers abiding by the dress code. Most people don't read Cruise Critic and do read the information given to them by Celebrity and do their best to look nice if they are dining in the MDR on formal nights.

One of those dress codes seems less clear than the other. One states men's dress should comprise Dinner Suit or Tuxedo. No mention of Dark Suit or suit. If you'd never been on a cruise before and didn't know about Cruise Critic and read that you'd incorrectly assume that was all that was allowed. The second introduces "suit" not just dark suit. It also says "includes" which implies a wider range will be acceptable.

I disagree that these are basically the same. Many people, particularly those new to cruising, I doubt have a tuxedo or dinner suit in their wardrobe, but will probably have a perfectly acceptable smart suit. Some may be put off at the thought that they "must" buy or rent a Dinner Suit in order to comply with the dress code when according to different guidance put out by Celebrity that isn't the case.

The lack of the mention of something ( e.g. Tie) doesn't mean that something shouldn't be worn, who is interpreting that way? Many people these days are completely comfortable with the concept of dressing smartly / for work in a suit without a tie. I used to have about 100 ties I now have about 20 the rest have gone to the charity shop.

Edited by DYKWIA

One of those dress codes seems less clear than the other. One states men's dress should comprise Dinner Suit or Tuxedo. No mention of Dark Suit or suit. If you'd never been on a cruise before and didn't know about Cruise Critic and read that you'd incorrectly assume that was all that was allowed. The second introduces "suit" not just dark suit. It also says "includes" which implies a wider range will be acceptable.

I disagree that these are basically the same. Many people, particularly those new to cruising, I doubt have a tuxedo or dinner suit in their wardrobe, but will probably have a perfectly acceptable smart suit. Some may be put off at the thought that they "must" buy or rent a Dinner Suit in order to comply with the dress code when according to different guidance put out by Celebrity that isn't the case.

The lack of the mention of something ( e.g. Tie) doesn't mean that something shouldn't be worn, who is interpreting that way? Many people these days are completely comfortable with the concept of dressing smartly / for work in a suit without a tie. I used to have about 100 ties I now have about 20 the rest have gone to the charity shop.

Dark used to be in the description of a suit but was removed about five years ago.

Replies like this, are why I was debating whether or not to share my info., "Easy to give your side of a phone conversation." (quote above). That was the phone conversation, I have no reason to lie especially since my husband and I have never broken the "Rules".
I sympathise. I was quite taken aback by that reply to your post! If you scroll back through this thread there are several people who declare they know about etiquette, but clearly don't know enough about good manners! I wouldn't want to be stuck on a table with them! 😔

I believe everything you said however you should know that Celebrity phone customer service has for many years been notorious for giving incorrect info. This individual was just plain wrong.