Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Explain to me how "it's all about 'me'"' doesn't also apply to a person who would expect a casual buffer-diner to be confined to their cabin for the evening. Seems to me that's a far more selfish attitude.

GeK

I think its obvious that they did not know what the dress code is and expected the person to stay in their room for the evening as they were under false impression that the dress code applied to the rest of the ship.

It used to be that way years ago but then there were no specialties or a dinner buffet on Celebrity. You either dressed up or ate in your room and stayed there for the night. Those days are long gone. I just got a kick out of them saying any continuation of this thread is ridiculous when they gave out incorrect, long outdated information.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm sure the cruise lines would kick the formal nights into touch if it was not for one main event

The formal photos

Recent cruise on Anthem , they have had to back track and create royal nights

Over the years less and less people are dressing formal on formal nights, its seems watered down every time i go on a ship.

for me it just feels wrong to be walking around in your finest to have teenagers and others walking the ship, in bars etc in the same poolware they have had on all day ( or even all week)

Plus its too hot to be all buttoned up and wearing a jacket.

I like to dress smart in the evenings and always long pants but not wearing a suit, although do so when the rules suggest (but cannot wait to get it off afagin ):rolleyes:

Cruise Junky is absolutely correct in one respect, formal in the rest of the ship went out at least five years ago and only applies to the Main Dining Room, it does not apply to any of the other dining rooms. Specialties and Blu are 'smart casual and above" every night.

Did you miss that I said Anytime dining room and not Specialty? ;) I thought adding in the Select/Anytime (even though it is part of the MDR) would elevate any question that Select was less formal than the MDR.

You're missing my point. Celebrity allows folks to dress in certain ways either by accepting payment or simply allowing it. If Celebrity allows it then it's nobody else's business. Wear your tux and enjoy your evening with your partner.

Not true at all. The specialty dining has a different dress code by not having formal nights. Blu and the Suite Dining Room also don't have formal nights. It's just the Main Dining Room that has formal nights.

If people not in Aqua class or Suites don't wish to dress formally and don't wish to pay they can always have room service or go to the buffet.

The dress code only applies to the MDR.

Not true at all. The specialty dining has a different dress code by not having formal nights. Blu and the Suite Dining Room also don't have formal nights. It's just the Main Dining Room that has formal nights.

If people not in Aqua class or Suites don't wish to dress formally and don't wish to pay they can always have room service or go to the buffet.

The dress code only applies to the MDR.

Exactly folks pay Celebrity for the privilege of not having to wear formal clothes on formal night. Why did Celebrity specifically change the dresscode for those higher paying customers in Aqua and Suites? Because they don't want to wear suits.

Did you miss that I said Anytime dining room and not Specialty? ;) I thought adding in the Select/Anytime (even though it is part of the MDR) would elevate any question that Select was less formal than the MDR.

Misunderstanding since you made it plural I thought you were referring to specialties. I never heard anyone refer to Select portion of MDR as anytime dining rooms

Exactly folks pay Celebrity for the privilege of not having to wear formal clothes on formal night. Why did Celebrity specifically change the dresscode for those higher paying customers in Aqua and Suites? Because they don't want to wear suits.

When did Celebrity start charging to eat in the buffet in the evening or order room service?

A lot of people in Aqua and suites still get dressed up, it probably has more to do with money. Those in suites still had their assigned dining in the MDR until a few months ago and many of them would choose to go to Specialties. I know some in suites who only ate in Specialties.

A lot of people in Aqua and suites still get dressed up, it probably has more to do with money. Those in suites still had their assigned dining in the MDR until a few months ago and many of them would choose to go to Specialties. I know some in suites who only ate in Specialties.

I'm sure. I like getting dressed up, so does hubby. But I don't think fellow pax should care what we wear. Packing the suit and the shoes to go with it takes up space and weight in the suitcase. When you travel to Europe, Delta charges $100 if you go over. I'm going to Bermuda in a week, and I'm going to count the no suit wearers on the two formal nights. Then report back here just so folks can have conniptions. <evil grin>

I'm sure. I like getting dressed up, so does hubby. But I don't think fellow pax should care what we wear. Packing the suit and the shoes to go with it takes up space and weight in the suitcase. When you travel to Europe, Delta charges $100 if you go over. I'm going to Bermuda in a week, and I'm going to count the no suit wearers on the two formal nights. Then report back here just so folks can have conniptions. <evil grin>

Actually, I went to Bermuda late May and I reported at the time that most men did dress up however for the first time we saw more men in Sport jackets than in suits. Very few in tuxes. You will have probably less in suits since at the time I went there were very few families with kids. If you are going in a week you will have a lot of families with kids and the tendency for some parents is not to dress up.

I don't care what people wear and it will not effect my cruise, Celebrity gives enough options all around so everyone can be happy.

Edited by dkjretired

That dog won't hunt. People spend thousands of dollars + airfare for a European cruise or transatlantic but think the extra $100 to bring an extra suitcase with their formal wear just plain costs too much. :rolleyes:

This is a good point. We're just off the Solstice. On the first formal night we went to Tuscan Grill. Most of the men wore jackets. Either they did not realize that specialty restaurants do not require them even on formal night in the MDR

or they just felt it was a special occasion.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

Will be my Sister and Brother-in-laws 1st cruise, we will choose to dine in the MDR on formal nights, just for the experience. He's a serving Officer so used to formal both enjoy the tradition. I carry my shoes, bags and heavy beaded dress's in my carry on, so hubby has room for his suit.

But Celebrity allows those who wish to spend extra money to eat in specialty restaurants the option of never having to dress for formal night and still eat high quality food. So as long as you're willing to pay for the privilege it's ok to break the rules?

it costs nothing extra to eat in the buffet on formal nights for this who don't wish to comply to the formal dress code. The buffets on the Silhouette are terrific, unlike on some cruise lines. It has nothing to do with paying more money so one can opt out. By the way, many, even the majority, of people eating in specialty restaurants would meet the formal standards in the MDR, which are quite broad. A suit or evening jacket, with or without tie will get you in to any place on the ship, so what is all the nonsense about.

That dog won't hunt. People spend thousands of dollars + airfare for a European cruise or transatlantic but think the extra $100 to bring an extra suitcase with their formal wear just plain costs too much. :rolleyes:

unlike the 1930's, a steamer trunk or tux with tails, etc is not required. The standard to meet the definition of formal can mean as simple as a lightweight (even washable) dark jacket or suit. I own a tux, but don't bring it on cruises any more. Regular black shoes and a jacket packed in plastic and a tie or two does not require an extra suitcase. Most people pack way too much stuff! My wife and I have learned how to be ready for anything on board or off with one suitcase each, regardless of the length of cruise. Woman can carry off a formal look with simply wearing pearls and earrings with just about anything. Of course, if you have been invited to Buckingham Palace for dinner with the Queen, that might require an additional suitcase. To each their own, but to me, the less luggage, the more ease and fun traveling can be. Suggest you look at all the information on packing rather than fretting about the "rich" paying to avoid dressing up. Nonsense!

Edited by benchdex
Typo

I skipped a formal night on an Azamara cruise once and they were serving beef Wellington in the buffet. It wasn't available at any other time or place the entire cruise.

Since when does Azamara have formal nights? I thought they had always been smart casual.

traveling on cruises to tropical and very warm areas is always less formal, but the culture in Europe is traditionally more accustomed to dress code. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in California, go ahead and be surfer dude. There are no rules in some places. People should have "conniptions" only when the setting calls for a degree of decorum. I know these terms are fast disappearing from our society. Respect for customs, civility, respect for elders, etc. is disappearing. Pity, really. I agree with what some have written, this is a pleasure cruise. I doubt most of us who cruise frequently give a damn what you wear. Just relax and enjoy yourself. This thread is much too tiring for me. Got to rest up for our vacation. Bon Voyage to each and every one of you! I hope you are all starting to get excited. Pack less, enjoy more!

Edited by benchdex
Typo

It's not that it costs so much. It's that it isn't worth what it costs.

Edited by RocketMan275

We love to dress for dinner and always stay in suites. In Luminae in July I was by no means ther only man in black tie (Tuxedo in American).

I realise some on this board some seem to think by paying more one can save on weight in your packing and avoid dressing up.....

We tend to fly Club or Business and on BA Club Europe the checked baggage allowed is 2 bags at 23kg (51lbs) per bag per passenger. That means between my DW, DD and I we are allowed 306lbs:eek:.

So by paying more we feel duty bound to pack a couple of formal outfits and at least use a part of our baggage allowance:cool:

Edited by groryjm

It was their third ever cruise back in 2007 I think. It was the best meal of the weeks. The cruises sucked big time early on

Thanks for that. I never knew they started out with formal nights. They seemed to want to be an Oceania clone at the beginning