Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I've often wondered how those who feel that it shouldn't bother anyone that others fail to follow the dress code weigh in on kids in "adult" areas. As long as the kids aren't having a meltdown in Murano or doing cannonballs in the T pool, how is kids being there taking away from others' cruise experience? Why should some cruisers be expected to follow the rules when others aren't, simply because they don't agree with them?

Note: I'm not trying to advocate for dragging my kids everywhere. We've only ever done lunch with them in Murano, and only then in the wine cellar room, and a curt, "This pool's only for grownups," curtails any further discussion about the T pool or solarium with my kids.

Achievement unlocked: Dumpster fire lit. Now I just need to work gratuities into it and I win the trifecta.

Kids -- now that topic deserves its own thread. :rolleyes:

Edited by Wine-O

Kids -- now that topic deserves its own thread. :rolleyes:

Wine-O I don't know if you were around then but a real hot topic years ago was "taking kids out of school to go on a cruise." Priceless and thankfully have not seen one in years. It combined the kids and school aspects both.

Wine-O I don't know if you were around then but a real hot topic years ago was "taking kids out of school to go on a cruise." Priceless and thankfully have not seen one in years. It combined the kids and school aspects both.

I don't recall seeing that thread. Whenever I'm on a TA and see children of school age, I like to tease them by asking why they are not in school. I get all kinds of looks, stares, and answers. Very amusing. :D

I don't recall seeing that thread. Whenever I'm on a TA and see children of school age, I like to tease them by asking why they are not in school. I get all kinds of looks, stares, and answers. Very amusing. :D

Seen a lot of that lately, kids being home schooled. The threads I mention go back to 90s when kids really started showing up on cruises, it was much worst then with the comments.

I have no problem changing into slacks for dinner. I'll even pack a jacket since that's required for formal nights. But, I usually change back into shorts right after dinner. If I'm reading the Celebrity policy correctly, I've go to stay in slacks if I intend to go to a show in the theater later that evening since it specifies "smart casual". I'm not asking if this is enforced, but is the dress code in the theater actually followed by most guests?

We dress well on celebrity but do not go formal. Our past cruise our dining room was Luminae , food and service exceptional. And we dressed as we would for a fine dining restaurant. No formalwear needed.

A nice shirt & dressy(or khaki style pants) are fine any time in the specialty rest. On formal nights a jacket is required in the MDR. A sport coat is all they need to meet the standard. This should not be rocket science..We ALL get the brochures,so we ALL should know what is appropriate & what is not. Those who refuse to follow the dresscodes are classless in my opinion & can flame me all they want. Simply follow the dresscode or stick to a line where casual is the rule..NCL/Carnival!

A sport coat does NOT meet the standard. Tux, suit, or dinner jacket only.

Why do you criticize others for being "classless" when you do not know what the written guidelines are?

Why do you criticize others for being "classless" when you do not know what the written guidelines are?

You are correct however in reality Celebrity has allowed sport coats for several years. On my last cruise I saw more people in sport coats than suits and tuxes combined.

You are correct however in reality Celebrity has allowed sport coats for several years. On my last cruise I saw more people in sport coats than suits and tuxes combined.

Was just making a point about what they stated.

I was not trying to describe the reality of the dress code situation or state my opinion on what it should be.

I've often wondered how those who feel that it shouldn't bother anyone that others fail to follow the dress code weigh in on kids in "adult" areas. As long as the kids aren't having a meltdown in Murano or doing cannonballs in the T pool, how is kids being there taking away from others' cruise experience? Why should some cruisers be expected to follow the rules when others aren't, simply because they don't agree with them?

Note: I'm not trying to advocate for dragging my kids everywhere. We've only ever done lunch with them in Murano, and only then in the wine cellar room, and a curt, "This pool's only for grownups," curtails any further discussion about the T pool or solarium with my kids.

Achievement unlocked: Dumpster fire lit. Now I just need to work gratuities into it and I win the trifecta.

Kids in adult areas is a predicament and I accept that. IMO there is nothing more pleasurable to the air than happy laughing kids at play enjoying themselves. That said angry, tired, bad tempered ill disciplined and crying youngsters is enough to put one off kids for life. Having adult only areas is a good thing providing there is adequate provision for the youngsters. On S class ships there is a happy medium where kids have areas where they can mix with mum and dad and there are areas where those who are anti kids can escape. I am of the view that now our kids are off our hands I prefer to holiday when kids are few and far between, hence we holiday out of school holidays and cruise out of holiday time as well. When our kids were young we probably complained about the grumpy old farts looking down their noses at our youngsters crying or behaving not as we would want at times. Now that I am a grumpy old fart I can appreciate where they were coming from. The old adage of being seen and not heard goes a long way. If youngsters are conforming to the oldies ways and wants then its amazing what they can get away with, but buck the system and good night nurse. A bit off track I know but at times a little latitude is required to make the world go around. If everyone stuck hard and fast to the regime of the day nothing would change. Just imagine if the men of the early 1900's stuck to their guns women wouldn't have the vote and would still be classed as their husband's chattel. Now there's a thought to wind someone up

Some people advocate very strongly on this thread that those who do not follow the dress code should be barred from entering the MDR and should they make it as far as the table they should be ordered away.

I'm sure wearing a Bowler Hat has a certain sense of style (mcdougall flour man meets 1974 Brirish Civil Servant) but don't confuse style with class.

I'll give you that point,my error!

Ohh! You crazy you!(tip of the hat to Joe Besser!)

I have no problem changing into slacks for dinner. I'll even pack a jacket since that's required for formal nights. But, I usually change back into shorts right after dinner. If I'm reading the Celebrity policy correctly, I've go to stay in slacks if I intend to go to a show in the theater later that evening since it specifies "smart casual". I'm not asking if this is enforced, but is the dress code in the theater actually followed by most guests?

Pretty much,yes. Not totally,however. Some take off the formal wear after dinner & go smart casual with dress shirts & khakis.

Yes, you're right about the sport coats. I was trying to be middle of the road. When I mean "classless", that would be someone showing up to the MDR.dressed like "Onslow". I've seen it happen. I hope you all know who "Onslow" is.

Being familiar with cruising in general, the missus and I will be going on our first Celebrity cruise next January (celebrating our 30th anniversary - yep, with each other). After sailing on Royal Caribbean for the last 13 cruises, we felt it was time to "move up". The upscale ambiance and laid back atmosphere that Celebrity offers really appeals to us.

While we both would prefer casual and much more comfortable clothing options for dinner, we feel we are obligated to honor the lines requests. If this means I pack my tux and dinner jacket, then (ugh!) so be it.

That being said, we have a couple of questions (that we hope won't start World War III). These would be considered general questions (i.e. what Celebrity would prefer to see) and not personal opinion questions.

1) We read a lot about what men should (or should not) wear on formal nights, but what about women? Formal gown, nice dress, slacks/blouse?

2) After dinner, what is the typical attire while walking around the ship or going to a show on any night (formal or casual)?

1) We read a lot about what men should (or should not) wear on formal nights, but what about women? Formal gown, nice dress, slacks/blouse?

Most ladies wear a nice dress. Some are a little more formal, some are a little less so. You see gowns, but probably even fewer than tuxedos on men. Some women wear a pantsuit or a skirt with a nicer top, but typically they'll embrace the "dress to impress" notion.

2) After dinner, what is the typical attire while walking around the ship or going to a show on any night (formal or casual)?

Some change into more comfortable clothes (or never were in formal clothing), but it's not like Cunard where you better be dressed in formalwear if you dare to set foot outside your cabin on a formal night.

If youngsters are conforming to the oldies ways and wants then its amazing what they can get away with, but buck the system and good night nurse. A bit off track I know but at times a little latitude is required to make the world go around.

That's entirely too reasonable of an approach! So just like a jacket and tie on formal night is acceptable to most and shows some modicum of effort(though falling short of THE RULES), a polite and well-behaved ten year old should be similarly embraced in Murano. I'm sure most reasonable folks would rather be seated next to that ten year old than an ill-behaved thirteen year old or a surly, drunk, thirty year old.

Most ladies wear a nice dress. Some are a little more formal, some are a little less so. You see gowns, but probably even fewer than tuxedos on men. Some women wear a pantsuit or a skirt with a nicer top, but typically they'll embrace the "dress to impress" notion.

Some change into more comfortable clothes (or never were in formal clothing), but it's not like Cunard where you better be dressed in formalwear if you dare to set foot outside your cabin on a formal night.

There are no rules for after dinner, the dress code applies only to the dining rooms and very loosely to the theater. You have to remember that many people will eat in the buffet with their shorts and t shirts and will wear that for the rest of the evening. Many others will change after dinner.

Being familiar with cruising in general, the missus and I will be going on our first Celebrity cruise next January (celebrating our 30th anniversary - yep, with each other). After sailing on Royal Caribbean for the last 13 cruises, we felt it was time to "move up". The upscale ambiance and laid back atmosphere that Celebrity offers really appeals to us.

While we both would prefer casual and much more comfortable clothing options for dinner, we feel we are obligated to honor the lines requests. If this means I pack my tux and dinner jacket, then (ugh!) so be it.

That being said, we have a couple of questions (that we hope won't start World War III). These would be considered general questions (i.e. what Celebrity would prefer to see) and not personal opinion questions.

I think it is easier for ladies to formalise an outfit than a guy. A casual dress for example, a bit of bling, nice make up and quality shoes and whammo we are off to a formal function. Our female Prime Minister some years ago broke tradition by wearing a pants suit to a State Dinner for the Queen. The only people who it upset apparently were the media women editors. Standards have changed over the years and formal is now less formal than it once was. I am one who now never wears a tie because I don't have anymore and rarely wear a jacket or sports coat. If I was the centre of attention then perhaps I may change my ideas but I am not, because no one cares what I am dressed like, which is fine by me. My better half likes to get dressed up with a bit of glam and that's also cool by me. If she feels comfortable then that's cool.

The only exception I take in the MDR formal night or otherwise are males wearing headwear to dinner. By headwear I mean baseball caps etc not turbans, Jewish skull caps and the like which are culturally important. A baseball cap whilst it maybe cultural on a ball park it isn't kosher in doors at dinner.

Some as others have and will testify wear full formal gear every night and that's cool too. Me I take the more casual approach, will leave my tux and especially a tie at home and have a great holiday. I may or may not bring a jacket. It will depend upon how much room I have in my suitcase. It is amongst the least important item of clothing for me to take on a cruise

The only exception I take in the MDR formal night or otherwise are males wearing headwear to dinner. By headwear I mean baseball caps etc not turbans, Jewish skull caps and the like which are culturally important. A baseball cap whilst it maybe cultural on a ball park it isn't kosher in doors at dinner.

What you don't seem to realise is that for some people hats and caps are prosthetic devices decided to disguise the appalling disability of a rapidly receding hairline. Are you truly advocating that these poor people openly display the shameful truth of their follicly-challenged scalps at the dinner table?

I think it is easier for ladies to formalise an outfit than a guy. A casual dress for example, a bit of bling, nice make up and quality shoes and whammo we are off to a formal function. Our female Prime Minister some years ago broke tradition by wearing a pants suit to a State Dinner for the Queen. The only people who it upset apparently were the media women editors. Standards have changed over the years and formal is now less formal than it once was. I am one who now never wears a tie because I don't have anymore and rarely wear a jacket or sports coat. If I was the centre of attention then perhaps I may change my ideas but I am not, because no one cares what I am dressed like, which is fine by me. My better half likes to get dressed up with a bit of glam and that's also cool by me. If she feels comfortable then that's cool.

Some as others have and will testify wear full formal gear every night and that's cool too. Me I take the more casual approach, will leave my tux and especially a tie at home and have a great holiday. I may or may not bring a jacket. It will depend upon how much room I have in my suitcase. It is amongst the least important item of clothing for me to take on a cruise

But from what I'm to understand, Celebrity will turn you away if not conforming to the recommended dress attire for the evening. Don't really want to miss a nice dinner in the main dining room because I didn't bring along a suit and tie.

What you don't seem to realise is that for some people hats and caps are prosthetic devices decided to disguise the appalling disability of a rapidly receding hairline. Are you truly advocating that these poor people openly display the shameful truth of their follicly-challenged scalps at the dinner table?

Whoa, I think you may have opened up a can of worms here. Hats and caps are not considered prosthetic devices. A prosthetic device is defined as "an artificial replacement for a body part such as an arm, leg, knee, etc.". Your insurance company "might" reimburse you for a wig, but I'm pretty sure they'll deny your claim for a Chicago Cubs or Red Sox cap.