Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Just found a good cruise with Celebrity X more less on the Infinity for a caribbean one

I just read it is a very formal cruise? traditional? have to dress up nice all the time?

or one can be on barefoot and shorts whole time still? feedback please

It doesn't have to be as formal as some make it out to be. That being said, even the buffet requires shirts and footwear as do they on all the other cruise lines.

Most people on Celebrity enjoy dressing up for dinner. If you don't, you can stick to the buffet, dress respectfully without getting super dressed up, or pick a cruise line that will better suit your needs.

Just found a good cruise with Celebrity X more less on the Infinity for a caribbean one

I just read it is a very formal cruise? traditional? have to dress up nice all the time?

Are you saying that particular cruise is very formal?? Or are you implying

Celebrity cruises in general are?

We are on the Infinity

Oct 29th sailing and I guarantee you we are not going very formal. Shorts during the day and slacks at night to eat then back into shorts. We are in Aqua

so we eat in Blu just so we don't have to do formal.

"Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

That's from their FAQ on dress code. "Smart Casual & Above" means you're supposed to wear pants (no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt with sleeves. Jeans and a polo do qualify as such, so I don't consider that overly formal. The age range will depend on the itinerary and time of year.

"Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

That's from their FAQ on dress code. "Smart Casual & Above" means you're supposed to wear pants (no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt with sleeves. Jeans and a polo do qualify as such, so I don't consider that overly formal. The age range will depend on the itinerary and time of year.

The dress code was NOT enforced on our July cruise. Adults in shorts and t shirts in MDR were the norm at dinner on smart casual evenings. We sat at the bar waiting for a table in BLU several nights and one evening 30 minutes. We were shocked at the number of men in shorts and t shirts. During that time frame we saw more than 50% waiting in line to enter in shorts and tees. No one was turned away.

The dress code was NOT enforced on our July cruise. Adults in shorts and t shirts in MDR were the norm at dinner on smart casual evenings. We sat at the bar waiting for a table in BLU several nights and one evening 30 minutes. We were shocked at the number of men in shorts and t shirts. During that time frame we saw more than 50% waiting in line to enter in shorts and tees. No one was turned away.

On our Summit cruise to Bermuda in May we did see one man in shorts in the MDR. They did not turn him away either.

I guess July being warmer than May you would get more of that. It's a shame Celebrity has lowered their standards and doesn't even enforce their own guidelines.

on the Silhouette now--British Isle cruise....We eat in Blu, so can't comment on how they dress in the MDR.....but when one is walking around the ship during the day, people are nicely dressed, but you do see people in jean shorts, sweat pants, normal shirt (no collar), blue jeans.....its not as if people are walking around in suits/tuxes all the time....1 could wear jeans/golf shirt the whole cruise and u can eat everywhere onboard every night...except the MDR on formal night....which is the only dining venue on the whole ship that has to "dress up" on formal nights, and no clue if they enforce that..depending on who you believe, some say they do, some say they do not...... I find people dress nicely, but not overboard. Mind u I did see 1 gal wearing some kind of fur wrap, so that was a bit overboard,lol

I am sailing on the Celebrity Solstice from Honolulu to Sydney on 2nd October. Can anyone tell me what passengers on formal nights mostly were. Is it tux or suits. Dont want to be the odd one.

Cheers

They were Hawaiian shirts for the gentlemen. And mumus for the ladies. No sandals or flip flops,though.

On our Summit cruise to Bermuda in May we did see one man in shorts in the MDR. They did not turn him away either.

I guess July being warmer than May you would get more of that. It's a shame Celebrity has lowered their standards and doesn't even enforce their own guidelines.

I did see shorts going into the MDR in the evening on our Aug Bermuda cruise. Maybe his suitcase did not make it. In Blu in the morning I saw hats, t-shrits, tank tops. I even saw t-shirts in Blu in the evening. I follow the dress code and it is not my place to judge.

You do NOT want to be barefoot on the pool deck...it gets hot enough to actually BURN your skin!

I learned that the hard way. There is no way to look cool while walking as fast as you can on your heels carrying a cold beer.

LOL -- Been there, done that -- flipflops ARE your friend! :p

(Thanks for the chuckle, this morning. ;))

LOL -- Been there, done that -- flipflops ARE your friend! :p

(Thanks for the chuckle, this morning. ;))

Same here, or water shoes, I went just a few feet barefoot and damn it was hot.

You will see shorts in the MDR on the first night as some don't get their luggage. Have also seen some not get their luggage all week and they are in shorts during the cruise. Shorts being the norm are not something you will see on a Celebrity Cruise, ever...

Edited by dkjretired

Mostly adults, low key middle aged 40 somethings and up

Close to our 25th Celebrity cruise and 40 and up is putting it mildly. Much closer to 60 and up, which in most cases will be 5-10x the number of 40-60 on the itineraries we do.

I did see shorts going into the MDR in the evening on our Aug Bermuda cruise. Maybe his suitcase did not make it. In Blu in the morning I saw hats, t-shrits, tank tops. I even saw t-shirts in Blu in the evening. I follow the dress code and it is not my place to judge.

The dress code rules are pretty much non-existent in Blu at breakfast. I've seen people dressed in gym gear at breakfast - hopefully they were going to the gym afterwards rather than having just been.

My husband and I are packing for an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice.

Questioin, are jeans acceptable wear in the MDR on smart casual nights?

Yes,but thee can be NO holes or tears in the fabric(and this includes purposely torn jeans, that come that way from the mfgr.)

Interestingly I was on Celebrity Eclipse recently sailing out of Southampton and noticed that everyone at the Martini Bar on the one formal night made the effort...

20733869735_6e7f5dcb6c_z.jpg

But I guess it was mainly Brits onboard. ;)

Nice to see they still enjoy properly dressing for the occasion.

My wife and I worried about the same things. We had mainly cruised on Carnival before and thought Celebrity would be a little too formal for us. Not so much. We loved Celebrity and it was not really different in any significant way ( other than the amazing food ).

I think each and every line has gotten an image, usually perceived by those on other lines. I have never not enjoyed a cruise whether it be Carnival, RCCL or Celebrity ( so far ). People who cruise share a bond and that bond usually is shared by people on all ships whether they be so called entry level or top of the line companies. Enjoy experiencing a new cruise line and meeting some great people.