Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

I appreciate that we live in a more and more "informal" world, where people have less and less opportunity, or reason to even bother getting dressed properly (I'm British), but for me, one of the nice things about cruising with a "better" cruise line, is that people will not only abide by the dress rules, but also want to have the opportunity to dress up a bit rather than dress down a lot.

That doesn't mean "starchy" and "old fashioned", but it also doesn't mean turning up for dinner dressed like you've just been doing the garden, or been to the gym.

Pet hate.........apart from people who won't accept the rules,.....

men wearing baseball caps in the MDR, ughhhh :mad::mad::mad:

I love Celebrity because the dress code is sensible (and for many other reasons)

No offence meant and hopefully none taken ;)

I appreciate that we live in a more and more "informal" world, where people have less and less opportunity, or reason to even bother getting dressed properly (I'm British), but for me, one of the nice things about cruising with a "better" cruise line, is that people will not only abide by the dress rules, but also want to have the opportunity to dress up a bit rather than dress down a lot.

That doesn't mean "starchy" and "old fashioned", but it also doesn't mean turning up for dinner dressed like you've just been doing the garden, or been to the gym.

Pet hate.........apart from people who won't accept the rules,.....

men wearing baseball caps in the MDR, ughhhh :mad::mad::mad:

I love Celebrity because the dress code is sensible (and for many other reasons)

No offence meant and hopefully none taken ;)

I agree.

I hate that Celebrity even has the word "casual" in their dress code because most people take that to mean they can wear whatever they want and don't even read the dress code.

It doesn't help the fact that Celebrity is not at all consistent on enforcing the dress code on their ships, etc. I've been on some ships where it is strictly enforced and other where they let anything go.

Edited by CruisingChick

I agree.

I hate that Celebrity even has the word "casual" in their dress code because most people take that to mean they can wear whatever they want and don't even read the dress code.

It doesn't help the fact that Celebrity is not at all consistent on enforcing the dress code on their ships, etc. I've been on some ships where it is strictly enforced and other where they let anything go.

The problem is that on some sailings, I understand that some passengers can become confrontational if challenged about their dress and rather than cause a scene, staff will back down....which is a great pity for the majority of us who understand and play by the "rules"

Some years ago for a special birthday we went for a weekend break to London. I had no idea what the birthday treat was but my wife told me I had to pack not only a jacket, but also a tie! Otherwise the Saturday night surprise couldn't happen.

I complied, and much to my surprise and pleasure, the taxi magical mystery tour ended at the Ritz, where we were booked in for the Saturday night dinner dance. Fabulous, even though I had to wear a tie!

Yes,but thee can be NO holes or tears in the fabric(and this includes purposely torn jeans, that come that way from the mfgr.)

so how does one get ones legs in them ? [emoji41]

'mfgr' ???

Edited by LA_Design

I agree.

The venue makes a big difference. Celebrity and all lines have a difficult situation. The object is to try to please all guests. Some want strict enforcement. Some resent any rules. I've seen some very unruly people when even the simplest request is made. The fact that this thread is so long speaks for itself. People seem to need hundreds of inputs to understand the rules. The Celebrity written dress code is really quite clear and has been fine tuned for the thousands of questions over time. It is a living document that has been edited and clarified as the culture on board changes. Bottom line. The cruiseline wants the greatest number of cruisers possible to enjoy each venue. Of course, even more attention is given to loyal, frequent cruisers, as Mwould be the case in any business. They have designed suitable alternatives for just about every taste. Up to, you can eat in the nude in your cabin.

I think anyone making just the effort to read and follow the rules will be totally accepted and just fine. It almost takes deliberate disregard to cause any kind of stir. Really, dressing to the nines or minimal compliance with what is acceptable in each venue works great. Most people err on the side of bringing too much. I don't think this thread continuing to grow ad finitum will add any new enlightenment. What more can really be said? :-)

The venue makes a big difference. Celebrity and all lines have a difficult situation. The object is to try to please all guests. Some want strict enforcement. Some resent any rules. I've seen some very unruly people when even the simplest request is made. The fact that this thread is so long speaks for itself. People seem to need hundreds of inputs to understand the rules. The Celebrity written dress code is really quite clear and has been fine tuned for the thousands of questions over time. It is a living document that has been edited and clarified as the culture on board changes. Bottom line. The cruiseline wants the greatest number of cruisers possible to enjoy each venue. Of course, even more attention is given to loyal, frequent cruisers, as Mwould be the case in any business. They have designed suitable alternatives for just about every taste. Up to, you can eat in the nude in your cabin.

I think anyone making just the effort to read and follow the rules will be totally accepted and just fine. It almost takes deliberate disregard to cause any kind of stir. Really, dressing to the nines or minimal compliance with what is acceptable in each venue works great. Most people err on the side of bringing too much. I don't think this thread continuing to grow ad finitum will add any new enlightenment. What more can really be said? :-)

Very well said [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being properly dressed and enjoying it are two entirely different things. I really don't see a lot of 'enjoying' going on.

All the enjoyment for those who don't want to properly dress is probably being held up there at the buffet -- lots of enjoying going on up there. You can be comfortable wearing your t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. :rolleyes:

Being properly dressed and enjoying it are two entirely different things. I really don't see a lot of 'enjoying' going on.

And just how does one "see" enjoyment? Perhaps they should be scratching their crotch?, sporting their wife beater t shirts with smiles?, drunkenly gazing at the camera while holding their glasses up?:eek:

And just how does one "see" enjoyment? Perhaps they should be scratching their crotch?, sporting their wife beater t shirts with smiles?, drunkenly gazing at the camera while holding their glasses up?:eek:

Precisely my point. One cannot tell from looking at a picture whether people are enjoying the situation or not. Wearing a tuxedo does not automatically mean you're going to experience 'enjoyment'. I wore my first tuxedo in 1964 and it's been my experience that 'enjoyment' is dependent upon much more than what you or someone else is wearing.

Looks to me as if they are waiting for drinks to be served. Also looks fairly early in the afternoon.I don't see anyone looking PO'd. If YOU do, well not sure what lens you see the world through.

mfgr(manufacturer)some make them purposly ripped & torn(and get more $$ for them!)

think you will find that the shortened version if manufacturer is mfr (and mfg for manufacturing )[emoji41]

Any way I have holes in all my jeans - otherwise I wouldn't be able to get feet through the bottom of the legs [emoji12]

I am not 100% sure what the dress code is like in the main dining room on non formal nights? do most guys were trousers and a jacket? or I can it be a bit more casual than that? for instance could I wear jeans & a polo shirt or would I look out of place? does this also apply to the speciality dining rooms if we decided to go on a couple of nights ? I don't want to pack excessively if I can help, but at the same time I like to dress accordingly.

I have waded through 6 pages of this thread and found a lot of posts about US and European cruises.

If anyone has done a Pacific cruise out of Sydney could they please post how formal formal night is. We are sailing on Solstice in November. Our first cruise was Princess 14 days to NZ. I did pack my suit and ties. We did the first formal night but skipped the second (bombe alaska night) purely because we wanted to see the Crew show and knew we would have problems getting a seat after 2nd sittting.

Our Solstice cruise departs Sydney and we have to fly there so luggage restrictions. Also learnt on first cruise not to overpack (we took 5 pieces of luggage for the 14 days!!!).

Any advice on formal night sailing Pacific greatly appreciated (what I really want to know is can I get away with shirt/tie and no jacket).

Thanks

I have waded through 6 pages of this thread and found a lot of posts about US and European cruises.

If anyone has done a Pacific cruise out of Sydney could they please post how formal formal night is. We are sailing on Solstice in November. Our first cruise was Princess 14 days to NZ. I did pack my suit and ties. We did the first formal night but skipped the second (bombe alaska night) purely because we wanted to see the Crew show and knew we would have problems getting a seat after 2nd sittting.

Our Solstice cruise departs Sydney and we have to fly there so luggage restrictions. Also learnt on first cruise not to overpack (we took 5 pieces of luggage for the 14 days!!!).

Any advice on formal night sailing Pacific greatly appreciated (what I really want to know is can I get away with shirt/tie and no jacket).

Thanks

On any Celebrity cruise a jacket is required on formal nights in the MDR only, not the Specialties or the buffet. Celebrities enforcement is known for being consistently inconsistent, on some cruises they won't let you into the dining room without a jacket and on others you can walk right in.

On any Celebrity cruise a jacket is required on formal nights in the MDR only, not the Specialties or the buffet. Celebrities enforcement is known for being consistently inconsistent, on some cruises they won't let you into the dining room without a jacket and on others you can walk right in.

Thanks Don, I know that is the "norm", but cruising from Australia can be different which is why I asked the question. Btw I meant in the MDR, I get about the other dining options.

Thanks

Yes you can. On Formal Nights I saw gents in dressy Hawaiian shirts with a sport coats in the MDR. Once in, they took off their jackets. Unfortunately, no shorts or flip flops allowed at dinner.

Thanks

I have done three cruises out of NZ on the Solstice and the Century. Whilst there a many who wear tuxes and female equivalents there are more that don't. A lounge suit for men is also common as is a sports jacket without tie. I am of the latter persuasion. Once seated I have removed my jacket and placed it on the back of my chair. I have never had an adverse comment passed nor even a snide remark or disapproving look. People on holiday are too busy enjoying themselves to be concerned what fellow passengers may or may not be wearing. Suffice to say if hubbie brings a sports jacket for wearing on formal nights in the MDR he wont feel or look out of place. To be honest the standard of dress is generally higher in the specialty restaurants. Whilst I didn't wear them I am sure that if one wore dress jeans and a jacket one would be admitted to the MDR on a formal night.

Informality is becoming more the norm by evolution rather than revolution and in my opinion Maitre'ds are only buying a fight they have no wish for by being picky over dress standards.

One has to remember that the end of cruise report is a significant deciding factor on staff future employment and no staff member wants adverse reporting.

On one occasion we did see a teenager wearing a baseball cap and graphic slogan T shirt on one formal night but a quiet word after dinner saw the cap disappear and a plain T shirt next formal night.

Hope that helps