Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

So, to be clear, at which seating did you see people being turned away from MDR?

On our recent cruise, no one wearing shorts was turned away for lunch seating in MDR.

I believe , the no shorts rule in MDR only applies for evening dining. Is that correct?

Please be specific. Is that no shorts rule in MDR (other than dinner seating) cited anywhere in Celebrity Cruises FAQ?

No saying you, but, there are people on this board that spread FUD, mistruths, can't read, offer non-specific antidotal examples, quote out of context, or plain flat out lie.

Shorts, sandals, and t-shirts are allowed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch -- not dinner.

Shorts, sandals, and t-shirts are allowed in the MDR for breakfast and lunch -- not dinner.

Wine-o is correct, here's the paragraph from the same FAQ noted in the post a few posts up.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#2

The problem works both ways, when someone says they saw shorts in the dining room, they don't give circumstances like did that person not get their luggage at all. Did this occur on the first night when Celebrity has traditionally for at least 20 years looked the other way because they know people may not have received their luggage. We never see that explained.

On my last cruise which actually was with Wine-O, I saw people turned away in Select dining for not wearing shorts and also not wearing a jacket.

Edited by dkjretired

Wine-o is correct, here's the paragraph from the same FAQ noted in the post a few posts up.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#2

The confusion is caused by the inclusion of T-shirts, which are commonly worn to breakfast and lunch on Celebrity ships by many passengers of both genders with no problem whatsoever.

Whenever this question comes up on a Celebrity ship, the explanation is that the prohibition was intended to apply to what are commonly called "wife-beaters" or sleeveless type undershirts rather than t-shirts, but unfortunately the wording in the dress code description was never corrected to make that distinction clear.

Say we are going to dinner and my wife wears a mini skirt and open type shoe that barely stays on her foot that is ok right????

Now I wear shorts and flip flops

She will be welcomed

But I guess my feet smell and my legs are too hairy to be in public

Stop being a bunch of prudes we are not in the dark ages anymore vacations are for everyone not just for the "privileged class"

If you want to be that apart from the classes then don't go on cruises

that the not rich can afford

In my case, the people I saw turned away were at the evening sitting and were wearing tail Red shorts, as opposed to beach/sports-type shorts. This was a couple of days into the cruise so I guess the Maitre d' would expect all luggage yo have been delivered. I guess we all have choices though and if the rules of the ship don't suit then don't go on that ship/line. It's not like Celebrity are the only cruise line going to these ports - there are plenty of choices.

Say we are going to dinner and my wife wears a mini skirt and open type shoe that barely stays on her foot that is ok right????

She will be welcomed

Stop being a bunch of prudes we are not in the dark ages anymore vacations are for everyone not just for the "privileged class"

Nobody is being a prude, you need to understand the purpose of this board. Someone asked a question based upon Celebrity's rules and it was answered. The only one giving opinion's is you, we are answering a question with facts.

She will be welcomed

Certainly the "not rich" can afford a polo shirt and a nice pair of slacks without frays and holes in them in the MDR for dinner. :rolleyes:

Shorts & hairy legs are still allowed during breakfast and lunch, so you "not rich" folks are good to go. :D

The confusion is caused by the inclusion of T-shirts, which are commonly worn to breakfast and lunch on Celebrity ships by many passengers of both genders with no problem whatsoever.

Whenever this question comes up on a Celebrity ship, the explanation is that the prohibition was intended to apply to what are commonly called "wife-beaters" or sleeveless type undershirts rather than t-shirts, but unfortunately the wording in the dress code description was never corrected to make that distinction clear.

You're right, I guess they can't write everything into the rules, have to rely on people having some common sense.

There are many cruise lines to choose from. Celebrity has a stated dress code. I don't understand the bizarre attitudes I'm seeing about this issue. You can dress as Celebrity requests, you can eat in your room, you can eat at the buffet. Those are YOUR choices to make. Seems easy enough to me. If you don't like it you also have the CHOICE to sail on a different line. Why do people feel entitled to change or alter the rules of the cruise line when they know (or should know) those rule before boarding?

She will be welcomed

Yes, but you can go in the pool topless and your wife can't. Gender-specific dress codes are hardly unique to Celebrity.

She will be welcomed

How old is she?

And does she have nice legs? :cool:

So, to be clear, at which seating did you see people being turned away from MDR?

On our recent cruise, no one wearing shorts was turned away for lunch seating in MDR.

I believe , the no shorts rule in MDR only applies for evening dining. Is that correct?

Please be specific. Is that no shorts rule in MDR (other than dinner seating) cited anywhere in Celebrity Cruises FAQ?

No saying you, but, there are people on this board that spread FUD, mistruths, can't read, offer non-specific antidotal examples, quote out of context, or plain flat out lie.

Shorts are fine at breakfast & lunch. The dress code applies for evening in the MDR & is posted in your daily paper.

Yes, but at least wear ones of decent quality. Armani or Versace will do nicely.(sarcasm for the hard of humor)

I can find no mention in the Celebrity Dress code regarding the quality or manufacturer of Tee shirts.

Hard to keep the fashion police's zealousness in check on this forum at times .

Edited by LA_Design

I can find no mention in the Celebrity Dress code regarding the quality or manufacturer of Tee shirts.

Hard to keep the fashion police's zealousness in check on this forum at times .

Kidding aside, simple t shirts without rips etc. are ok for breakfast/lunch

We are D+ on RCL and will be Elite on Celebrity - this will be our 2nd cruise on Celebrity - Solstice 10 Day Hawaiian - 26 Apr 2016 -

We are A2 so Blu is open to us - is Coat and tie required on formal nights or is shirt and tie okay? DH gave up tux back in 2011 and sports coat in 2013 -

Do we need to carry the sports coat for 2 formal nights?

Thank you for your help with this -

We are D+ on RCL and will be Elite on Celebrity - this will be our 2nd cruise on Celebrity - Solstice 10 Day Hawaiian - 26 Apr 2016 -

We are A2 so Blu is open to us - is Coat and tie required on formal nights or is shirt and tie okay? DH gave up tux back in 2011 and sports coat in 2013 -

Do we need to carry the sports coat for 2 formal nights?

Neither coat nor tie is required in Blu on any night.

On Celebrity ships, the formal night dress code applies only to the main dining room, nowhere else on the ship.

The dress code for Blu is smart casual and above every night of the cruise (as it is for all the specialty restaurants), although there will likely be some passengers who do choose to dress formally.

So for men, "smart casual" means only that long trousers and a collared shirt are required.

Anything beyond that (such as tie or jacket) is optional.

There are usually more passengers who dress formally on European cruises than on Alaska, Hawaii or Caribbean cruises.

Neither coat nor tie is required in Blu on any night.

On Celebrity ships, the formal night dress code applies only to the main dining room, nowhere else on the ship.

The dress code for Blu is smart casual and above every night of the cruise (as it is for all the specialty restaurants), although there will likely be some passengers who do choose to dress formally.

So for men, "smart casual" means only that long trousers and a collared shirt are required.

Anything beyond that (such as tie or jacket) is optional.

There are usually more passengers who dress formally on European cruises than on Alaska, Hawaii or Caribbean cruises.

Thank you so much for your quick response - from what I have read also just jacket and shirt (no tie) required for formal nights in MDR?

I did go online to the "Chat with a Professional" and got a very nice gentleman - 20 years cruising with Celebrity and Elite + - although he did remind me of the dress code - it basically comes down to the staff -

"IF you are dressed appropriately (may dress slacks - shirt - tie - dress shoes) without a coat - most like MDR will NOT turn you away!:cool:

As your Aqua class your assigned restaurant is Blu, there is no need to worry about the dress restrictions in the Main Dining Room, Blu is smart casual every night.

Do they serve the same 'formal night' menu in Blu or the same old Blu menu?