Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
We always enjoy formal night with all the accouterments and formalities. It is just as easy to relax in a tux as in jeans so why not comply and have a good time.

Not everyone finds it easy to relax in a tux. Not everyone owns a tux (or even a suit and tie for that matter). Not everyone enjoys "formalities".

On Celebrity I comply and have a good time by wearing jeans and eating elsewhere on formal nights.

Not everyone finds it easy to relax in a tux. Not everyone owns a tux (or even a suit and tie for that matter). Not everyone enjoys "formalities".

On Celebrity I comply and have a good time by wearing jeans and eating elsewhere on formal nights.

That's exacrly how my husband and I feel. In addition, now that we are older, the extra weight of formal wear makes our luggage harder to handle.

I'm still confused why people who don't dine in the MDR worry whether or not there is rule breaking going on in the MDR.

If you believe other recent "rumour" threads - Formal dress is perhaps on the way out or perhaps worse will still be required but no longer "enforced" - which is just daft and will probably create more problems.

Is a TIE required on Formal night, or may a man wear a sport jacket, dress shirt and slacks

Greetings

Let me try to touch all the bases on this seemingly simple question.

The purest will answer that a sport jacket is not allowed under the dress code and a tux, dinner jacket, or suit is all that's allowed. They also insist that suit implies a tie must be worn.

The moderates will answer that a sport jacket is fine and if you wear it with a dress shirt and slacks (with or without tie) you will have no problems.

The radicals will tell you "wear whatever you wish".

IMO you will be fine if you follow the moderate position.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

The purest will answer that a sport jacket is not allowed under the dress code and a tux, dinner jacket, or suit is all that's allowed. They also insist that suit implies a tie must be worn.

The moderates will answer that a sport jacket is fine and if you wear it with a dress shirt and slacks (with or without tie) you will have no problems.

IMO you will be fine if you follow the moderate position.

Good Sailing

Tom

And the realists will say they have never seen anyone refused entry for not wearing a tie.

Greetings

Great post!

You just summed up over a thousand posts and 90 pages of diverse opinions here in that one reply. :D

Is a TIE required on Formal night, or may a man wear a sport jacket, dress shirt and slacks

Normally, the dress code says tux or suit with tie for men, but it's rarely really enforced, except on the Eclipse(older pax & longer trips.)The coat & dress shirt & slacks as you mentioned are fine. We however wear a coat & tie nearly all nights. We like to dress up.

And the realists will say they have never seen anyone refused entry for not wearing a tie.

Try that in the Eclipse & you might get turned away(which I've seen frequently)Judging by the way you dress (or lack of)You could expect to be refused entry. This isn't Carnival/NCL, or have just flat out refused to realize that?? You certainly seem to toot the horn of dressing down.

Normally, the dress code says tux or suit with tie for men, but it's rarely really enforced, except on the Eclipse(older pax & longer trips.)The coat & dress shirt & slacks as you mentioned are fine. We however wear a coat & tie nearly all nights. We like to dress up.

I see no mention of tie in any Celebrity Dress Code. So there is no reason for Celebrity to enforce the wearing of it as it is not required.

Furthermore, if you look at Celebrity's publicity material try and spot anyone wearing a tie.

I agree with you that on some cruises people do still seem to dress up. Our experience on the Eclipse when sailing from Southampton is that people do dress up and do seem to go the extra mile for Formal Night. I don't recall any man without a tie in the MDR on Formal Nights. So whilst it might not be required it depends how you might feel if you were the only one not wearing a tie.

Dress code has never in the last 20 years said anything about a tie. Most men assume by using common sense that a tie is part of dress. With that being said, nowadays realistically you will not be refused entry without a tie.

Dress code has never in the last 20 years said anything about a tie. Most men assume by using common sense that a tie is part of dress. With that being said, nowadays realistically you will not be refused entry without a tie.

I agree totally, there should be no more a requirement to list a tie than to list socks, a belt or underwear. But you and I come from a different era, and a tie is no longer an assumed article of dress with a suit. From the President down, you see politicians daily without ties, just as you do business leaders and people from all walks of life. It looks sloppy to me, but I'm sure that those of previous generations thought the same of our style of dress.

I agree totally, there should be no more a requirement to list a tie than to list socks, a belt or underwear. (or shoes for that matter)... It looks sloppy to me, but I'm sure that those of previous generations thought the same of our style of dress.

What amazes me is how many guys wearing suits and ties don't even tuck in their shirts, so that shirt tails hang out from under their suit coats.The other trend is wearing beat up sneakers with dress suits.

But back when I was younger and entering the business world, the big outrage was businessmen who failed to wear hats (remember when straw hats were de rigeur after Memorial day and were not done after Labor day?)

Don't get me started on the current trend of stubbly three day whisker growth.

But times they are achangin'. Best get used to it.

Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

Note that T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The appropriate dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. Additionally, you are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

I've read on a Facebook Celebrity Fan site (not an official page) that there are people on the Reflection transatlantic that are reporting they were told that being mid November that formal nights are being changed to "Chic" nights ---- whatever that is. I have no way to verify so can only say - another rumor.

I did ask on the official Celebrity FB page but of course they do not answer.

And so the slippery slope of "anything goes" will have started if this rumor is true. Another denigration of standards that kept Celebrity a step above among mass market lines.

People that tried to skirt the guidelines of Formal will now skirt the guidelines of "Chic" -- whatever those may be. I sincerely hope that this rumor is not true.

I've read on a Facebook Celebrity Fan site (not an official page) that there are people on the Reflection transatlantic that are reporting they were told that being mid November that formal nights are being changed to "Chic" nights ---- whatever that is. I have no way to verify so can only say - another rumor.

I did ask on the official Celebrity FB page but of course they do not answer.

There was a "rumour" post on here a couple of weeks ago, didn't mention which ship. They were reporting (second hand) that persons onboard had been told by an unnamed member of staff that Formal Night was going.

You never know, Chic night might have the same dress code as Formal Night.

Edited by DYKWIA

There was a "rumour" post on here a couple of weeks ago, didn't mention which ship. They were reporting (second hand) that persons onboard had been told by an unnamed member of staff that Formal Night was going.

You never know, Chic night might have the same dress code as Formal Night.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2273722&highlight=rumour

Here it is.