Understanding how NCL fares are set, and why they go up and down

pokerpro5

This is a very informative thread! A question: once fares start rising again for a cruise that's only three or four weeks away, is there any chance they'll go lower again before sail date?

We're looking VERY late in the game this year, and I want to know if my window for price-dropping has officially closed.

This is a very informative thread! A question: once fares start rising again for a cruise that's only three or four weeks away, is there any chance they'll go lower again before sail date?

We're looking VERY late in the game this year, and I want to know if my window for price-dropping has officially closed.

I'm not PokerPro, but here is my take.....prices are dictated by supply and demand. Since the prices are rising, the theory would be either greater demand and a decrease in supply. Based on how late in the game it is, I would say that it would be more on the supply side. Basically, I think the price would only go back down if they stopped selling rooms at the current rate and (my assumption here) that they would rather sail with as many non empty rooms as they can. This all being said, it wouldn't hurt to keep monitoring and see if they start to back off the current price.

Here's a hypothetical question based on the situation I'm in, which is that I booked our very first cruise before reading this thread, and now wish I had waited and learned more first (rookie mistakes!).

Couldn't you theoretically book a room at a category lower than the one you really want and take advantage of a really great promo before the magical 55-day window, then upgrade to the room you want when prices drop significantly? If I'm understanding people right, you can do this and still hold on to the promo perks if you get the right person on the phone. Do I have that correct?

My wife and I booked an Oceanview room for our trip to Alaska in May, and now I'm watching to see if rates for a balcony room drop to our price range. From what I understand, I can upgrade with no penalty, right?

NCL sure has pricing/booking policies that are not the norm for the kind of travel I'm used to. Thanks for this VERY informational thread!

This line of thinking is based on assumptions. Yes, you can upgrade for a small price (or even possibly free) IF there is a cabin available and IF the prices drop. There are no guarantees. Promos may or may not carry over to the upgrade depending on the promo. Is it possible to do everything you mentioned, yes, but you may get stuck in a cabin you don't like by following that course of actions hoping things will work out the way you want.

Edited by Out to sea!

This line of thinking is based on assumptions. Yes, you can upgrade for a small price (or even possibly free) IF there is a cabin available and IF the prices drop. There are no guarantees. Promos may or may not carry over to the upgrade depending on the promo. Is it possible to do everything you mentioned, yes, but you may get stuck in a cabin you don't like by following that course of actions hoping things will work out the way you want.

Precisely what I'm going through! I booked a less expensive Obstructed Oceanview (I've always done balconies) to take advantage of the UBP promo in late Jan and took a gamble that prices would come down on balcony cabins to make the upgrade. Prices went down a little last week on my sailing, and now they're back up. Demand is so high that the Haven cabins are now over $10,000. I can always wait and hope for another price drop, but have to accept that I may be "stuck" with the OK cat. cabin I selected.

Yep, right now through April I am watching them go up up up. Liekly from spring break I'd guess. I'm glad I booked when I did. Although Im thinking I will have no chance of upgrading now. At least I got a good deal while it was down!

How do you get this information?

Ncl site only shows a maximum of 15 cabins per category. If you noticed that there are less than 15 displayed, chances are that's all that's left in that category. If 15 is displayed, chances are good there are more available. Hope that makes sense.

Ncl site only shows a maximum of 15 cabins per category. If you noticed that there are less than 15 displayed, chances are that's all that's left in that category. If 15 is displayed, chances are good there are more available. Hope that makes sense.

So what does it mean if they are not showing any particular cabins, but only offering the "guarantee" option for insides? Except that they are offering particular cabins for family insides?

Edited by theloo

BTW, as an informed cruiser, you should be HAPPY that NCL has this highly fluctuating pricing structure.

I had a friend brag to me that she bought a Saturn and that the experience was so great "because they have no-haggle pricing."

My buddy told me that buying a Saturn was a good deal because no-haggle pricing meant you could just pay the price on the window.

I told him that he could do that at any dealership in town. Just walk in and point at the window and tell them that was price you wanted to pay and see what happened.

BTW, an article in the WSJ said the reason no-haggle pricing was so popular was people knew they were paying the same price as everyone else even if that was higher than it should be. They did not want to hear that some one's brother paid less for the same car.

Love this thread. Explains so much.

So as I have read this correctly no real price protection on Norwegian. Looking to book POA for Hawaii 2016 for six of us. So if the price drops we have to cancel lose deposit and rebook for any pricedrops Yes I have read the faqs and this is what it says so now I am nervous to book so far out. Thankyou for this info I really appreciated this thread. My dates in January are flexable to feb so I will continue to watch this cruise.

So as I have read this correctly no real price protection on Norwegian. Looking to book POA for Hawaii 2016 for six of us. So if the price drops we have to cancel lose deposit and rebook for any pricedrops Yes I have read the faqs and this is what it says so now I am nervous to book so far out. Thankyou for this info I really appreciated this thread. My dates in January are flexable to feb so I will continue to watch this cruise.

Ncl price protection works just like the other cruiselines. If your price drops, you can get the price adjustment and whatever the current promotions are. So do the math and then decide if its worth it. And you don't lose the deposit if there's a price adjustment. Only the promo codes if applicable will change.

I only book when the 3rd-8th passengers sail free. Price won't drop enough to beat that promotion as I don't book the higher categories like the suites where prices can drop lower than the sail free promotion.

Edited by SJ

Wow! What an informative thread. I found this while deciding to book my Alaska May trip or wait until after final payment is do to see if there is a further price drop. I am looking at a Seattle return and I am not picky about my cabin. I will be okay with an inside. It will be myself and my husband, no children on this trip, therefore the KSF does not interest me, nor does UBP. After reading this, I am thinking it is probably better for me to wait until the 55 day mark. I already have my flights so that is not a concern. Got them when Southwest had a fabulous sale. There is also a few other ships running a similar itinerary on the same dates, so I would think I would be bound to get a cabin on one of ships. I am a little nervous about waiting so long to book, but I figure if I can save some money I can take another cruise in the fall.

Edited by mnjcruiser

You need to check the deposit policy. It would be a long time before you'd lose your deposit on a 2016 cruise. Until then, you can cancel and rebook at will, with no penalty.

Hi Peg,

I'm assuming you're a TA. I'm really waffling on what to do. I want a suite for a cruise 4 weeks from today, thought about booking on the 28th to see if the price dropped at all (lots of my suites left) but now with your post I wonder if I should wait that extra day and book on the 1st.

I really don't want to lose the promo as I'm taking all of my staff on this trip as a thank you, and to cover their drinks and all meals would be really great.

When do you usually get the terms & conditions sent to you?

Thanks so much for your help.

I'm not a TA but I know a few thru Facebook. I don't know when they get the T&C's but I'll be on the Gem starting Friday so I won't be around to help you out. If you have a favorite TA or PCC, give them a call and maybe they can help you. Tell them you know starting on March 1st the Freestyle Spectacular Promo will be starting and see if they can give you more details.

So what does it mean if they are not showing any particular cabins, but only offering the "guarantee" option for insides? Except that they are offering particular cabins for family insides?

This would likely mean the cheapest inside cabins are selling but not the more expensive family insides. I would go for the cheaper guarantee and hope it gets upgraded to a higher floor/category when the room is finally assigned.

I almost didn't book mine and was going to wait, but Im glad I didn't. Today is the 56th day mark and the rooms suddenly shot up $100pp. Im so glad I booked when I did!

We usually look for big sales & last minute deals/offers, with some exceptions and had been watching ours for a while and put a hold on it @ T-49 days, with last month's big promo & sales transition into Feb. on the Breakaway - ours sailing just before the Easter break & usually, get some great deals.

Luckily, it paid off instead of waiting closer to the 30 to 40 days mark for further price drops - the popular Oceanview GTY prices went up by about $400 for 2. We kept our $200 OBC for the OV-GTY, applied our Cruise Reward & made final payment.

I just checked again this evening, OV is nearly soldout and prices even higher now, same price as Balcony (BD as BX is soldout ?? as the lowest price tier within) With 23 days to go, the ship is nowhere near selling out or full to capacity, counted about 90 balcony staterooms listed by cabin # in practically all categories, including plenty of large balconies on deck 10 (AFT Bal. are gone) and last minute prices are even higher than 5 to 10 days ago. *

I don't know what NCL is thinking - not dropping prices to attract last minute folks looking for bargains & CAN take a week off (from work, with approval last minute - not all employers do THAT unless you are your own boss) and just pack-n-go. Easter sailing that is following our return to NYC isn't sold out either, and priced even higher. Lowest balcony/oceanview for 2 is $2,1000 in total for 7 nights, select your option for the "Perks" like UDP or UBP as value-added choices - still not exactly a bargain.

We are fine with sailing on a less than full Breakaway, less crowd & shorter lines and easier to do walk-in dining without reservations, etc.

By "giving" away UBP, UDP and KSF, etc. to attract earlier booking, but how's NCL going to fill those remaining 90+ cabins in 2 to 3 weeks ??? Offer deals to TA and Friends & Families deal last minute - those ain't exactly good for corporate bottom lines.

The other move by NCL actualy really surprised us and at least 2 or 3 other on the same sailings, our OV booking got free upgrades to the lower/est Balcony category, locations is okay - so "no complaints" from us as happy campers with a nice view, still scratching my head every time I think about it, what on earth ??? What kind of logic is that - maybe NCL's computer system is randomly giving us Plantinum cruisers something extra :D

So, what if they don't drop prices on/after March 1st. with these fast approaching sailings - dozens of cabins remaining empty as the ship sail ... Stay tuned for an interesting watch in a few days. :confused:

Hi , really interested to read the "how to work the system " info, had always wondered etc.

Apologies if this isn't the right place, but can you tell me if a non US resident can book through a US travel agent for a round trip cruise from Miami?

The price we've paid , £2931, for two adults and two teenagers for a B6 , sound way more e pensive than the $prices I'm seeing on here? Wondering if I can cancel for our July sailing and book via a US agent??

Seem to recall reading restrictions about this??

Thanks for any comments

Hi , really interested to read the "how to work the system " info, had always wondered etc.

Apologies if this isn't the right place, but can you tell me if a non US resident can book through a US travel agent for a round trip cruise from Miami?

The price we've paid , £2931, for two adults and two teenagers for a B6 , sound way more e pensive than the $prices I'm seeing on here? Wondering if I can cancel for our July sailing and book via a US agent??

Thanks for any comments

Sorry , should have said, we're travelling on Getaway, 7nights Eastern Carib.

Thanks for any comments

Not with NCL you don't even need a US TA book direct on the NCL US site.

http://www.ncl.com/vacations (to avoid a redirect back to .co.uk)

Problem is you lose your UK deposit or you could try to move it to another cruise that is cheaper/similar price through UK like Jade and Spirit Epic EU trips .

July 18, todays prices

US B6 4pax $5033 or around £3240

UK B6 4pax £3166

Most US prices talked about won't include the taxes over $100pp on your trip

Hi Insidecabin, thank for your reply. I can see it is cheaper to book via a U.S. travel agent or the cruise line, I will know in future. It's almost the same in dollars as I've paid in pounds- ouch😬

This site is such a great tool, thanks for the tips and advice.

Hi Insidecabin, thank for your reply. I can see it is cheaper to book via a U.S. travel agent or the cruise line, I will know in future. It's almost the same in dollars as I've paid in pounds- ouch

This site is such a great tool, thanks for the tips and advice.

If I got your cruise correct(18 july) it looks like it is more expensive in the US. I did those prices this morning(10:30 uk time) direct on NCL.co.uk and .com

US B6 4pax £3240

UK B6 4pax £3166

you paid less.

you have to be carefull as the 3-4 pax 1/2 price/free offerin the US did have a lot of price rises.