Set for Trad. Dining, but what if we want Anytime Dining one night?

CurlyGold

We have signed up for Late Traditional Dining on our upcoming 11-day Coral Princess cruise. I am sure this timing will be best for us, but what if one night we're hungry early and still want the MDR experience? Can we go to the Anytime Dining room (and wait for a table to be available)? Would we need to make a reservation earlier in the day? Or would our only option for waiter service be Sabatini's and Cafe Bayou-- if they have a table available (I realize they might be full with reservations)?

I know the Early dining times are far more popular and it would likely not be easy for us to get in for even one night. But is it even possible?

First time Princess cruiser-- I haven't seen this addressed on the CC board.

TIA,

Rhonda

You're not a prisoner of your table in the traditional dining room. People don't show up all the time. If you know ahead of time, let your waiter know, but I wouldn't hesitate to go wherever I wanted to...and that would include any of the alternative dining venues.

You signed up for Traditional so if you want to dine elsewhere it is the specialty restaurants, buffet, grill or pizza up by the pool.

It's not like I can go up to the Traditional dining room and just take a table from one of those diners.

The reason that Anytime diners have such long waits is because the staff at the door are not verifying that the passenger is an Anytime diner rather than Traditional.

I would hope that if you attempt to make a reservation that they explain to you that those particular venues are reserved for those who either chose or were forced into Anytime dining.

There are passengers who really want Traditional Dining but don't get it because it is already full.

Anytime Dining as not always been offered on cruise ships. There was time time not so long ago that Traditional was all there was for waiter served meals. If you missed your dining time you went to the buffet or ordered room service.

Please use your assigned dining time or chose the alternate venues but don't add to the congestion that is already happening a the Anytime Dining rooms.

You're not a prisoner of your table in the traditional dining room. People don't show up all the time. If you know ahead of time, let your waiter know, but I wouldn't hesitate to go wherever I wanted to...and that would include any of the alternative dining venues.

And Alternative Dining venues do not include the Anytime dining rooms. These are the assigned dining for many on the ship.

We have signed up for Late Traditional Dining on our upcoming 11-day Coral Princess cruise. I am sure this timing will be best for us, but what if one night we're hungry early and still want the MDR experience? Can we go to the Anytime Dining room (and wait for a table to be available)? Would we need to make a reservation earlier in the day? Or would our only option for waiter service be Sabatini's and Cafe Bayou-- if they have a table available (I realize they might be full with reservations)?

I know the Early dining times are far more popular and it would likely not be easy for us to get in for even one night. But is it even possible?

First time Princess cruiser-- I haven't seen this addressed on the CC board.

TIA,

Rhonda

The simple answer is 'normally yes', just speak with a Head Waiter, Maitre d' or just to the host at the ATD entrance. But, if you get seated at the time you wish is always a question. Tables to share are usually easier to get than tables for two.

Explanation: The Coral has 2 MDR's, Provence on Deck 6 and Bordeaux on deck 5. When I was on the Coral and also the sister Island, the deck 6 DR was used for both early and late traditional seatings. A section of the Deck 5 DR was also used for traditional very early seating, making it difficult for those in ATD that wished to dine early. You have to show up between 5:30 and 6. If you wished to dine around 7:30 or later, no problem getting seated.

Since you mostly wish to dine late have you consided using ATD for the entire cruise. You should not have any issues getting seated.

Demand for seating during certain times does change depending on the passenger demographic, and on the evening's activities. You should not have any difficulty getting an early table at Sabatini's and Cafe Bayou, just call the DINE line. They are seldom full.

Thanks so much for the quick responses, especially the link from Chrysalis to the earlier discussion on the topic. I'd searched the forum, but everything I saw was off the mark-- poor keyword search choice on my part.

I truly expect for every evening the LD to be perfect timing for us, but wondered what my options were if one night it was not, and we preferred not to do the buffet, as I've never been on a Princess cruise.

Thanks to all who responded.

Rhonda

You chose your time, stick to it. If you are hungry go for a snack.

Unless a excursion causes you to miss yiur schedulled time (which shouldn't be the case since you have later seating), why should others wait longer because of you.

Change to anyytime dining since they are not usually busy later at 8, it will be busy between 530-730, and usually dont take reservations between those times.

Speak to your Head Waiter in your Fixed dining room in advance.

If you have early seating but know you will be late the next evening, sometimes he will tell you they can seat you at late seating. Usually not full. Sometimes if lucky you can have your own waiter.

Don't go and crowd up anytime dining as those people may also arrive later. Not fair to them.

The reason that Anytime diners have such long waits is because the staff at the door are not verifying that the passenger is an Anytime diner rather than Traditional.

Anytime Dining as not always been offered on cruise ships. There was time time not so long ago that Traditional was all there was for waiter served meals. If you missed your dining time you went to the buffet or ordered room service.

Had to respond to this in particular-- I am really shocked that there are long waits at ATD for someone who signed up for ATD. That is so not fair! I had no idea.

I've only cruised twice before. First on NCL, it's all ATD, and as long as we didn't show up 6:30-8pm, we didn't have a wait time at all. The wait time at 7pm was about 20 minutes. Second cruise on Carnival, but we were part of a huge group and wanted our assigned time to be able to see our friends. I've had absolutely no experience with TD vs ATD.

Thank you very much! Glad now I signed up for LTD and have been confirmed (and hope that stays confirmed!!!).

On an upcoming cruise we wanted traditional dining but can't get it so we had to accept anytime dining.

How is it fair for people like you to block people like me from traditional dining and then decide to make me wait in a freaking line to get into the anytime dining room because you decided to switch out one night (or more)?????????

On an upcoming cruise we wanted traditional dining but can't get it so we had to accept anytime dining.

How is it fair for people like you to block people like me from traditional dining and then decide to make me wait in a freaking line to get into the anytime dining room because you decided to switch out one night (or more)?????????

Hey, keep in mind I'm NEW TO PRINCESS, and I ASKED. I didn't do it, I wanted to know what ALL my options are should the situation come up (not that I expect it to) .

You're absolutely right it's unfair, but I didn't know the deal when I asked the question-- and that is exactly why I asked. Now I know. I assure you I will either be at my scheduled LTD, one of the specialty restaurants, the buffet or room service.

I guess I'd better get some armor for the hot can of worms I innocently opened here. I thought someone had to mention smoking to get this kind of anger out of the CCers! :eek:

Thank you for asking the question. I, for one, appreciate it. It's apparent to me that you wanted advice, rather than telling people what you "intend" to do. Not everyone on CC will jump down your throat. Most of us are here to learn and help.

I assure you I will either be at my scheduled LTD, one of the specialty restaurants, the buffet or room service.

You could also ask your headwaiter in your assigned dining room if you could eat there at the early seating that evening. Chances are there will be some seats available.

People like you????? A bit harsh isn't it? They asked a simple question and you usually are very nice about answering questions.

Had to respond to this in particular-- I am really shocked that there are long waits at ATD for someone who signed up for ATD. That is so not fair! I had no idea.

I've only cruised twice before. First on NCL, it's all ATD, and as long as we didn't show up 6:30-8pm, we didn't have a wait time at all. The wait time at 7pm was about 20 minutes. Second cruise on Carnival, but we were part of a huge group and wanted our assigned time to be able to see our friends. I've had absolutely no experience with TD vs ATD.

Thank you very much! Glad now I signed up for LTD and have been confirmed (and hope that stays confirmed!!!).

I am happy my response helped you understand since you are new to Princess. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I guess I'd better get some armor for the hot can of worms I innocently opened here. I thought someone had to mention smoking to get this kind of anger out of the CCers! :eek:

Unbeknownst to you this topic ranks right up there next to the smoking issue. Sorry you had to endure the flames:(

People like you????? A bit harsh isn't it? They asked a simple question and you usually are very nice about answering questions.

True. I've never seen "Thrak" be anything but nice. In fact, I've thought about complimenting him on his positive, upbeat posts. He must have had a bad day, so I'm forgiving him for this one. I hope the OP can, too. (Enjoy your cruise! I'm glad you asked the question. We are all still learning here, no matter how long we've been cruising or on Cruise Critic!)

There is more demand for early TD than for late TD so Princess uses two of three DRs for early TD or 67% of capacity. On the Coral and Island there are only two DRs but they often use part of the second DR for early TD so only about 33% of the DR capacity may be available for TD. With that limited capacity, IMHO, late TD diners should not go to early ATD, even if allowed.

As others have said, after 7:30 there is typically not a problem getting a table in ATD because only one DR is used for TD. You should be able to make a reservation in ATD and even get the same table every night if you plan to go around 8:00. On one or more nights, you could try out the early ATD. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app