Curious about partially empty ship

twinkle toes

There is a reason those "Bargains" can be had for such a low price.

I went on a Mexican Riviera cruise 5 years ago the first week in January on another cruise line. It was almost cold in Mexico and windy-cold at sea. Being out on the balcony or the ship deck was unpleasant so everyone got cabin fever being inside all the time. Two of the port stops had weather too coolish-cold to really enjoy it.

I understand that weather can be variable, but I wouldn't do it again that time of year. The Caribbean is reliably much warmer in January - I'd go there instead. Either that or wait a couple months for reliably warmer weather on the Mexican Riviera. The cheap price was no bargain.

- Just my two cents

If you look at average temps for Puerto Vallarta in January you'll see 79 or 80 degrees. I think you were unlucky, as we were a few years ago in the Caribbean where it was downright cool in March. Weird, I know.

Help me understand why Princess offers lower prices for new bookings only after final payment - when I have sailed on them more than 15 times and booked my cruise back in July 2014. I would think they would take better care of their loyal cruisers.

Same reason a new car dealer has a sale on models that are about to be replaced with newer ones.

If you had bought a new car the week before, they will not give you any money back when they go on sale.

I love an empty ship.

I mean no disrespect. But I have to ask....How do you rack up 62,000 post??? I did the math, thats on avg. 14 post per day, everyday for over 13 years ! Amazing. Are you a Travel agent ? You have far more than the next closes I've seen which is around 45,000. Ill understand if you choose not to respond to my question.

Some members posts a comment on everything anyone says.

I made the final payment yesterday for Jan. 18 sailing of the Emerald. I have an outside obstructed view and a Vista suite booked. I looked at the deck plans today and see an almost empty ship. Just for grins I counted the unsold balcony cabins-388 are empty and unsold. And the majority of the mini suites, outsides, and insides are unsold.

I hope my 2 brothers booked in the OV outside will get a nice upgrade to a balcony cabin.

There are 17 unsold suites so maybe my 2 sisters and I will also be upgraded to a bigger suite. We'll see.

I am goiong on the Grand in 10days and there are still alot of inside and ocean view available,especially obstructed ocean view.Can't foresee that they would sell 100 cabins in that short a time.I have a balcony guarantee and still don't have a cabin,though the balconies are sold out.My TA guaranteed we would get a balcony cabin.Will wait and see.

I usually wait until after the final payment date to book our cruises. One of the things is that I can't plan my vacation a year in advance. I have friends who have just booked one of the Coral's Panama Canal cruises at a bargain price for next week. I'm happy that they're able to get away and have fun--and a little jealous that they were able to go at the spur of the moment as well because DH's teaching schedule sets when we can take cruises. From what I hear, the next two years until we retire will go quickly.

I made the final payment yesterday for Jan. 18 sailing of the Emerald. I have an outside obstructed view and a Vista suite booked. I looked at the deck plans today and see an almost empty ship. Just for grins I counted the unsold balcony cabins-388 are empty and unsold. And the majority of the mini suites, outsides, and insides are unsold.

I hope my 2 brothers booked in the OV outside will get a nice upgrade to a balcony cabin.

There are 17 unsold suites so maybe my 2 sisters and I will also be upgraded to a bigger suite. We'll see.

Again, this is a far from reliable prediction of sales for the ship, because you can't see how many GTY bookings there are.

Sailed numerous times never seen a ship empty

Of course not, your ship wasn't empty, you were on it. You have to use a telescope from shore to see the empty ships going to and from their scheduled ports.

Help me understand why Princess offers lower prices for new bookings only after final payment - I would think they would take better care of their loyal cruisers.

Sailing with empty cabins doesn't generate revenue. They have very sophisticated computer programs adjusting prices up or down depending on how they are doing at filling the ship by the sailing date. If they aren't on track they include the sailing on their next sale or just outright cut the price.

Are there any sales perks on your sailing such as Three for Free? These perks rarely or more likely never apply to the "New Bookings Only" pricing.

A recent Pacific Princess cruise showed close to 100 out of just over 300 cabins (small ship) unsold at final payment date. It wasn't until about 5 or 6 weeks before sailing date that the "new bookings only" prices started. We grabbed an OV for $699 that was over $2000 just before the sale started. Two weeks before the sailing date, the ship was sold out. IE: They do what they have to do to fill the ship.

Some members posts a comment on everything anyone says.

Sometimes just to say "I don't know the answer but someone on here will". I could have posted this as four separate posts but chose to combine my thoughts into one post.

Again, this is a far from reliable prediction of sales for the ship, because you can't see how many GTY bookings there are.

Agreed. On the above mentioned Pacific Princess cruise I watched as for a couple of days categories showed sold out then came back as available. They came back as available with 20 or 30 cabins in the category to choose from and then disappeared again. When one or two cabins sold out of the 20 or 30 the availability dropped to the minimum to fill the guarantees so the category returned to sold out.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

My TA said that because we have already booked, we can't get further reductions and/or OBC. I haven't made the final payment yet (due12/6) . Can I call Princess directly and negotiate with them? Or am I locked in because I booked with a TA? First time cruiser here ...

I have a balcony guarantee and still don't have a cabin,though the balconies are sold out.My TA guaranteed we would get a balcony cabin.Will wait and see.

We did that 2 years ago (booked a guaranty balcony on the Golden). Didn't get assigned until a day before the cruise but ended up with the highest category (BA- midship with the larger 4-chair balcony). Have heard though that the longer you have to wait the better you'll end up.

Until we were assigned I just told the other people that were sailing with us that I was going to sleep in the lifeboat !

Check the final payment date vs. the cancellation penalty schedule. Princess doesn't charge a cancellation penalty until 75 days before sailing for itineraties under 30 days in length. Is final payment due at/before 90 days before sailing?

I'm wondering if Princess has decided to change things up . Last week we booked

our first Princess cruise which offered "free" gratuities BUT the deposit

(20% of the cabin cost ,pre port fees) was non refundable.

Is this a new strategy to reduce a rash of cancellations around final payment date ?

The Princess agent said I didn't have to choose a non refundable deposit but I wouldn't

get included gratuities if I wanted a refundable deposit. I went for the deal.:p

BTW - Edited to add that this seems to be an idea from Carnival's Early Saver rates but even more restrictive!.

I believe with the Early Saver rates you can transfer to another cruise losing only 50 or so P.P.

Edited by richstowe
Another Thought

My TA said that because we have already booked, we can't get further reductions and/or OBC. I haven't made the final payment yet (due12/6) . Can I call Princess directly and negotiate with them? Or am I locked in because I booked with a TA? First time cruiser here ...

If it's before final payment, you usually can get the price reductions. However, Princess wont' talk to you if you used a TA, so you are stuck going through him/her. I'd call my TA back and tell them to get in touch with Princess on your behalf.

I'm wondering if Princess has decided to change things up . Last week we booked our first Princess cruise which offered "free" gratuities BUT the deposit (20% of the cabin cost ,pre port fees) was non refundable.

Is this a new strategy to reduce a rash of cancellations around final payment date ?

Some sales have this restriction, some do not.

If I remember correctly, Princess started using this restriction more often about a year ago.

When you are on the ship, you can purchase ($100 each) Future Cruise Certificates in the names of people on the ship (in other words, not for relatives and friends not with you).

This FCC can be used as the full deposit for a future cruise, so if the future cruise also has that no refund restriction, all you would lose is $100/person if you cancel.

When you are on the ship, you can purchase ($100 each) Future Cruise Certificates in the names of people on the ship (in other words, not for relatives and friends not with you).

This FCC can be used as the full deposit for a future cruise, so if the future cruise also has that no refund restriction, all you would lose is $100/person if you cancel.

Sounds great although it will be hard to get my head around committing in advance

to a future cruise. How long do you have to use these Future Cruise Certificates ?

Are there any restrictions to using them ?

Edited by richstowe

Sounds great although it will be hard to get my head around committing in advance

to a future cruise. How long do you have to use these Future Cruise Certificates ?

Are there any restrictions to using them ?

An FCC is good for two years. After that they will refund your money.

No restrictions.

In addition to the $100 deposit, you get OBC based on the type cabin and length of cruise.

I am new to princess....I booked the regal during the free tips push....my deposit is refundable....called yesterday to see if the $1200 deal was better....got a lovely person who encouraged me to call after final payment if there is another sale and I would get some obc. She patiently figured out my current booking is the better deal than the one I called about...very confusing....certainly pays to make sure your ta is doing their job....you can certainly get changes made before final payment!