Has anyone ever cruised at Thanksgiving?

Yes! And again this year. Last year was my favorite. We were in San Juan, laying at the pool with the parade and football games on the poolside TVs and then got dressed up for dinner in the dining room. Dinner I did NOT have to cook. Or clean up after! HEAVEN!!

The turkey meal has gotten better over the years too!

The mood on the ship is very relaxed and happy (no one HAS TO COOK!) and they put up the Christmas decorations at some point during the week so you can get a family pic in front of the tree and use it as a holiday card too.

I'm not a big fan of Turkey, and love that they serve both ham in the Main Dining Room on Thanksgiving. The pumpkin pie was so so, but everything else is good. Hope you decide to book and find the cruise pleasant and relaxing.

Edited by julesbeara

Sorry for your loss. We have cruised the past several years over Thanksgiving. It is a great way to spend the holiday if you are by yourself. It is really relaxing not having to cook or clean up. We will be in Key West this year on Thanksgiving. Enjoy your cruise if that is what you decide to do.

Yes, several times. Weather is always gorgeous and we have a great time. They do serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner as well. We leave on the Liberty on Thanksgiving next month. We'll be the group boarding in Pilgrim hats!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I, too, am sorry to hear of your loss.

My family cruised on the Jewel at Thanksgiving a few years ago to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary and we had a wonderful time. It was so much fun watching them put up the Christmas decorations during the week, and the dinner in the main dining room on Tgiving itself was excellent. They also had a beautiful harvest arrangement of fruits and vegetables on deck 6 near the atrium railing - we were thrilled to see rutabaga there (we love it, but not many know what it is)

I have cruised every year since 2001. The ship goes all AUT with displays. RCCL has in the pas presented menu printed,rolled and with a gold bow on your plate. Princess incorporates traditional Thanksgiving meal into the menu giving you more choices.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

My sincerest condolences on your loss. I've done several cruises over Thanksgiving (this year is our fifth). Our parents are gone and our sibilings have their own families so we just skip town. We've been fortunate enough to travel some years with family, some with friends and sometimes on our own. Regardless, love love LOVE cruising this week. Though it's a holiday it has never felt "overrun" with unruly kids. Thanksgiving day they serve a turkey dinner which isn't spectacular but does feel festive, and the next morning we wake to the ship being decorated for Christmas! They even have their own "Black Friday" sales on the ship. So we love it and try to do it every year. You will love it.

Edited by epoulsen

So sorry for your loss. Holidays are never easy,

We've been sailing on Thanksgiving for several years now, and LOVE it.

I don't know why, but the Allure of the Seas prices for the year are dropping! Going for almost half of what we paid a year ago.

We were only able to get cabin upgrades since it is passed the final payment, but it is so cheap now, I highly recommend it.

I lost my husband seven years ago and cruised over Thanksgiving the year after he died. I cruised solo and would cruise over that holiday again in a heartbeat. I made some friends thru the Meet and Mingle board and was "adopted" by a lovely family who got me away from the table I had been assigned (one couple who didn't speak much English and an American couple on their honeymoon who only wanted to talk to each other) and added to their table. The family also invited me to go on tours with them. My husband's death was not something I discussed on the board before we sailed. Once on the ship and people learned that I was a recent widow, they could not have been nicer.

The mood on the ship is very relaxed and happy (no one HAS TO COOK!) and they put up the Christmas decorations at some point during the week so you can get a family pic in front of the tree and use it as a holiday card too.

I concur! Cruised the transatlantic last year (Spain to New Orleans) and the ship was relaxed; the food was good the commpany was stellar. (Add to that I was cruising solo).

The bonus were the Christmas Decorations that were popping up all over the ship. If I am reading right you experienced a loss. I find that a cruise is a great way to celebrate and reflect. Hope you have a similar experience.

We used to cruise almost every Thanksgiving week but because of the extra children ( not a huge issue) and the cost we started doing the week after, so we could get a small suite instead of a just a balcony. Also love flying a few days early to the port, Thanksgiving is a great day to fly airport's are not crowded. Last few years we switched to Sandals to avoid screaming kids at the pool.

How was it? I lost my husband this and cannot be home. We thought a cruise would be nice.

Sorry for your loss.....we have cruised over Thanksgiving weekend many times, never on Thanksgiving Day. I can only imagine it being a great way to spend the day. No shopping to do, no cooking to do, no clean up to do -- not even any thinking about a gift to bring if you go elsewhere on Thanksgiving normally....sounds good to me.

Enjoy, whatever you plan to do....start a new tradition perhaps!

We cruised last Thanksgiving week. It was wonderful. I am so sorry for your loss. We were experiencing a lot of drama last year, in both my husband and my families. Frankly, I just couldn't fathom the thought of more of it at Thanksgiving. So, we went on a 5 day cruise and did the Pub Crawl I sunny Key West. We had the absolute best time. So, we are doing it again this year, just he and I, on the Oasis. I think you will love it.

Edited by rosielou2