Fort Lauderdale Debarkation Debacle

doublebzz

I have always found the debarkation from Fort Lauderdale to be a lengthy and disorganized mess, particularly Sunday arrivals. Today, we picked up some friends debarking from the Eurodam. The ship arrived at 7am and my friends along with many others didn't debark until after 11:30. There were only two immigration agents to service the 2,500 guests. Driving outside the terminal was shear chaos. Private, inexperienced security guards were directing traffic and giving conflicting directions so cars didn't know whether to proceed or stop. Cars were not instructed to form multiple lines at the passenger pick up point so a long single line of angry drivers ensued. Finally, the single Broward County cop I observed came to the area and expedited traffic. Being so late in the morning, there was a mix of departing and arriving vehicles which led to me being directed to the arrival lane after picking up my friends. This situation is in stark contrast to the Port of Miami where my experience just a week earlier was a picnic by comparison. For those that are booking early flights out of Fort Lauderdale on debarkation day, you might want to reconsider.

Ft Lauderdale was a mess last December when we got off a Princess ship and it got worse at the airport. The Oasis/Allure ships have had a huge impact, presumably one was in port today. Hotels in FLL are routinely selling out as well and we ended up at a dumpy hotel precruise.

I agree with the comment about the port of Miami being much easier.

Edited by sammiedawg

I have always found the debarkation from Fort Lauderdale to be a lengthy and disorganized mess, particularly Sunday arrivals. Today, we picked up some friends debarking from the Eurodam. The ship arrived at 7am and my friends along with many others didn't debark until after 11:30. There were only two immigration agents to service the 2,500 guests. Driving outside the terminal was shear chaos. Private, inexperienced security guards were directing traffic and giving conflicting directions so cars didn't know whether to proceed or stop. Cars were not instructed to form multiple lines at the passenger pick up point so a long single line of angry drivers ensued. Finally, the single Broward County cop I observed came to the area and expedited traffic. Being so late in the morning, there was a mix of departing and arriving vehicles which led to me being directed to the arrival lane after picking up my friends. This situation is in stark contrast to the Port of Miami where my experience just a week earlier was a picnic by comparison. For those that are booking early flights out of Fort Lauderdale on debarkation day, you might want to reconsider.

Ft Lauderdale has gotten terrible the last couple of years.

They have cut back to 2 immigration officials after all the self-disembarkation have gotten off the ship.

A person posted on today's sail-away for the Eurodam that they were off the ship by 7:30 -- self disembarkation.

I have to have wheelchair assistance to get off the ship and last spring even that was a mess. I was suppose to get assistance at 8:15 but never got help until nearly 9:30.

Ft Lauderdale was a mess last December when we got off a Princess ship and it got worse at the airport. The Oasis/Allure ships have had a huge impact, presumably one was in port today. Hotels in FLL are routinely selling out as well and we ended up at a dumpy hotel precruise.

I agree with the comment about the port of Miami being much easier.

The airport is a zoo on Saturday and Sunday because of the allure and oasis. I sure hope the don't bring another one of those ships to Fort lauderdale.

We have disembarked HAL ships in Port Everglades on both Saturdays and Sundays in February the last couple of years and have not had any issues. We tend not to fly home the same day we disembark.

We've disembarked Fort Lauderdale many times on both Saturday and Sunday. The process has always gone smoothly.

Our last mess in Ft Lauderdale was the Nieuw Amsterdam -- on a Sunday in April.

Thankfully we have no choice but to fly home the next day.

Totally agree with the OP

We have had long linES getting out of FLL

They could learn some things from Tilbury, England and Athens where cruisers are appreciated, lots of people on and disembarkation as smooth as silk.

Fortunately next two times we will not be disembarking there. Will it be worse or better, who knows, but so far I have found no cattle crawl compared to FLL

We have disembarked HAL ships in Port Everglades on both Saturdays and Sundays in February the last couple of years and have not had any issues. We tend not to fly home the same day we disembark.

I agree - the key to not having to worry about it is to stay an extra night. Our disembarkation last December was long - at least one hour in line just to see one of the two agents.

We have been on several cruises where disembarkation in San Diego didn't start until after 10:30 AM.

Many people missed their flights.

Our cruise that disembarked in San Diego didn't start until after 12:30 pm!!! Many many people misssed their flights and all because people who were continuning on the cruise after ours to Alaska didn't show up to customs. They kept calling and calling the names. Sometimes I think the customs needs to fine people who don't show up.

Lucky for us m sister had warned us not to book our flights until the next day as the same thing happened to her the year before!

Disembarkment in Ft Lauderdale off the Zuiderdam last December was also a mess, but not as bad as San Diego!

Edited by Hflors

We had Expedited disembarkation so were able to leave our cabin at 0730. We made our way to deck two without difficulty and everyone was affable. We proceeded to the customs area quickly and then the whole scenario turned to crap. Although there were less than 100 folks in front of us, the line was NOT moving. There was a SINGLE federal agent on duty and he was NOT in a hurry. The grumbling was universal and audible. Soon there were several hundred folks behind us and the line snaked back and forth about six rows deep. Eventually, a second agent appeared but he was VERY slowly taking his position. At no time was there any effort on the feds to expedite the process and it was obvious that they had an attitude. The agent that checked us was somber and obviously was not having a good day.

We have many cruises under out belts and can never remember the indifference we encountered in FLL today.

To top things off, about 50 feet from being cleared by the feds, my wife stopped to put her passport in her purse and a fellow in a white shirt (?HAL agent) started hollering at her to NOT STOP but keep moving.

The bottom line is that I agree with the initial post that disembarkation at FLL today was a disaster. Hopefully things will improve...

Hi

I was in Florida last November Oh the I was out in street around 8:10. No problem It was a sunday akso. Zuiderham, Just be warned Pul Ryan keeps saying he will shut down the government and if you coming into port I have no idea what will happen

Mary

The worst we ever encountered was New Orleans a few years ago. After we disembarked, it too over 3 hours to get thru customs. It wasn't even a huge ship. Norwegian Spirit about the size of an S or R class HAL ship

If I remember correctly we had a breeze going through New Orleans, both in and out. We drove, parked right across from the terminal and went right in and got right out after the cruise was over. Had a lovely time on the the Spirit as well, and really enjoyed the port there.

I wish they would have more CBP Officials. That would help move the line along.

Totally agree with the OP

We have had long linES getting out of FLL

They could learn some things from Tilbury, England and Athens where cruisers are appreciated, lots of people on and disembarkation as smooth as silk.

Fortunately next two times we will not be disembarking there. Will it be worse or better, who knows, but so far I have found no cattle crawl compared to FLL

There was a time when we would have 4 - 6 agents checking the passports at immigration -- depended on how large the ship was.

But when the government cutbacks kicked in -- down to 2 agents.

Our cruise that disembarked in San Diego didn't start until after 12:30 pm!!! Many many people misssed their flights and all because people who were continuning on the cruise after ours to Alaska didn't show up to customs. They kept calling and calling the names. Sometimes I think the customs needs to fine people who don't show up.

Lucky for us m sister had warned us not to book our flights until the next day as the same thing happened to her the year before!

Disembarkment in Ft Lauderdale off the Zuiderdam last December was also a mess, but not as bad as San Diego!

On our cruises when we were continuing onto Seattle, it was not us causing the problems. It was the foreigners who were not reporting to a certain lounge before the ship was cleared. And they would keep calling the same names and cabin numbers over and over.

Last year both embarcation and Debarkation were a mess. I had looked on line that morning to see what terminal the ship would use. The people at the gate insisted we go to a different pier. Even the signs were wrong. We finally got to the correct pier only to find complete chaos. People for another cruise line were being told they were leaving from the same pier. DH wanted to drop me off as I was getting over a broken foot and still had a large boot and limited mobility. He was not allowed to. We were told no people could be dropped off, only luggage. After driving around we found a place where I could sit and wait.

Debarkation was no better. We arrived at a different pier and were told we could get a shuttle to where the car was parked. We never could find the shuttle. Eventually locating a taxi we were dropped off at a garage. By this time people were arriving to depart and the few attendants on duty were overwhelmed. We are going out of Ft Lauderdale the end of November and sure hope they have their act together by then.

There was a time when we would have 4 - 6 agents checking the passports at immigration -- depended on how large the ship was.

But when the government cutbacks kicked in -- down to 2 agents.

I haven't noticed any "cutbacks" in government tax and port fees that are added to our cruise fares.