Fort Lauderdale Debarkation Debacle

doublebzz

We will be disembarking on December 21st which, in addition to being a busy Sunday in Port Everglades, is a day the airport will be doubly busy due to the Christmas season.

We decided to just book into a hotel when we get off the ship and take an afternoon flight the next day. It will still be busy at the airport but it won't be compounded by multiple ships in port.

We won't be in a hurry to get off the ship and won't have the angst of wondering if we will make our flight or not. It is actually a strategy we adopted a few years ago to reduce the stress of travel days and if you have the luxury of time I highly recommend it.

This is very smart thing to do. Have a relaxing day in FLL and avoid the stress.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

I hear you. We were also on a Zuiderdam cruise this past winter, same thing, maybe same cruise.

Anyway something I wanted to say. Something odd happened when we were leaving the ship. After waiting about a half hour a man with a couple of kids came into the line and kept saying excuse me and going past the people in the line, then about 4 more people did the same thing, then another 4 people Then about 3 or 4 adults came by doing the same thing. We could see them all ahead of us. And where it really got interesting was where the line narrowed to allow just one person. They all had caught up together and about that time a staff member could see the commotion that was starting to occur. She went up to where the commontion was happening. The group (extended family) were all jumping the line and trying to get up to near the front of the line to the one member of their party that came down when the section was originally called and some of the people in line were blocking their way. The staff member didn't seem too happy and we could see her motion the family to go back to the back of the line which at this time was really really long.

Now I can see saving a place for your husband and maybe a child who had to go to the restroom or forgot something and had to go back for it, but save a place for a whole family! Come on! When we got thru Customs Grandma (the one person in line near the front) was sitting off to the side waiting for the rest of the family to catch up! (I'm sure she had a long wait) We were one of the first sections to be called and we didn't get out and on our way (by car) until about 10:30 am.

I wish now I had thanked that staff member for doing what I feel is the right thing!

Good for that staff member!!! I remember disembarking in Rome and having a group do that to all the people in line. It's been two years and I still remember their taking their privilege over everyone else.

We experienced similar problems in port. We had a porter helping us with our bags and he stayed with us. We asked why only 2 agents on duty. He quickly answered the government budget cuts - sequester- was when this situation changed. Lines were like Disney during spring break! I believe it. Now I check ship traffic at port to get a feel for congestion in- and outbound. We were victims of this inconvenience in other places This year- returning to US IN Boston and a year ago, reduced hours at national parks.

We decided to just book into a hotel when we get off the ship and take an afternoon flight the next day. It will still be busy at the airport but it won't be compounded by multiple ships in port.

We won't be in a hurry to get off the ship and won't have the angst of wondering if we will make our flight or not. It is actually a strategy we adopted a few years ago to reduce the stress of travel days and if you have the luxury of time I highly recommend it.

By far, the smartest option. Airport security can really "harsh the mellow" that you work all vacation to achieve. As long as you remember to get early check in at your post cruise hotel, or at least make arrangements to drop off your baggage, you can have a relaxing day.

I know HAL does not go to San Francisco, but they are the WORST! They do not show up to the port until 8am, then have to set up. Like everywhere else, they are slow. Ask for your passport, then take your declaration form without even looking at it. Then you get to deal with the street to get to your car, (no real parking garage or area nearby, or wait to be picked up. Numerous times we have not gotten off a ship before noon.

Really nasty looks for people waiting to get on.

We will be disembarking on December 21st which, in addition to being a busy Sunday in Port Everglades, is a day the airport will be doubly busy due to the Christmas season.

We always stayed at lease one night post cruise. My DH liked the transition day(s) between cruise and hit the ground running when he returned home. I liked not stressing about airport issues. :) A win -win.

Now I can see saving a place for your husband and maybe a child who had to go to the restroom or forgot something and had to go back for it, but save a place for a whole family! Come on!

Funny how people who do that never think to join their family at the back of the line. Moving the entire family to the front is their only option. :rolleyes:

I must be too laid back. I always wonder why everyone in is such a hurry to leave the ship. We plan our flights and/or hotels so we can enjoy a leisurely breakfast aboard, and embrace the ship till we have no choice but to disembark. Why spoil all that wonderful time ON the ship with a chaotic OFF the ship?

I must be too laid back. I always wonder why everyone in is such a hurry to leave the ship. We plan our flights and/or hotels so we can enjoy a leisurely breakfast aboard, and embrace the ship till we have no choice but to disembark. Why spoil all that wonderful time ON the ship with a chaotic OFF the ship?

We enjoy a leisurely breakfast too, but after a while, I notice the hustle and bustle and the stewards trying to get things done and don't want to hold them up. so, we tend to get off around 9:00 am. Works out well and if there is a line (uggher), there is a line. We usually stay post cruise at least one day.

As others have said, why face the stress of trying to catch a flight. It's sad enough leaving the ship ;)

for some reason (perhaps due to only 2 immigration / custom officers) it was a mess this past sunday even with no luggage when leaving the Eurodam. The hugh floating hotel from RCI was also in port at same time. Rather than spending an extra night @ port we have started using luggage direct and just walk off ship w/ only carry-on bag.

By far, the smartest option. Airport security can really "harsh the mellow" that you work all vacation to achieve. As long as you remember to get early check in at your post cruise hotel, or at least make arrangements to drop off your baggage, you can have a relaxing day.

Last time we not only got early check in at the Embassy Suites, they told us to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet.

Last time we not only got early check in at the Embassy Suites, they told us to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet.

That was really nice of them. We stay at the Embassy too - good to know how amenable they are if you check in early. Many hotels will only let you store your luggage there until room are ready in the afternoon.

We also noticed significant delays last Saturday when we disembarked the Westerdam. Our time was supposed to be 9:15 and we weren't allowed off the ship until after 10 because of delays in customs. By the time we reached our car at Park n Go, it was almost 11. Was glad we didn't have a flight to catch!

We've disembarked quite a few time in Ft. Lauderdale. The worst time we had was after one of our HAL cruises, but the problem was on the ship, not in the terminal.

But I think we've always had lines ... sometimes they've moved okay, and sometimes not. We usually have flown home immediately, 11:30 am flights, with no problems getting to the airport in time.

Next winter, we have three (yay!) more-or-less consecutive cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale, and no flight to catch after the last one, so we'll be able to take our time each disembarkation day ...

If you choose to do self-assist, and assuming the ship (Westerdam) docks on time, what is the earliest one can debark?

Self-disembarkation is the first group to leave the ship. Assuming there are no hold-ups, that is about 7:30. I have heard it as early as 7:15, and as late as 7:40.

Edited by RuthC

Self-disembarkation is the first group to leave the ship. Assuming there are no hold-ups, that is about 7:30. I have heard it as early as 7:15, and as late as 7:40.

I've also seen self-debark begin roughly 7:15 but most commonly 7:30 until the first person actually has their key card scanned off.

Have disembarked many times at Fort Lauderdale without problems. Certainly not the worst port in the US when compared to San Diego :eek:

Never sailed out of San Diego. Ft. L. not a problem so far for us. We always fly in the day before to make sure.

So for a 1230 flight out of Fort Lauderdale, would self-disembarkation be the smart thing to do?

Also, can you self-disembark and still use the airport transfer bus? I guess that would just guarantee being on the first bus to leave.

Edited by jess8328

We can't understand why U.S. Customs and Border Protection can't get Global Entry in place for cruise arrivals, especially in places like Port Everglades.

Every time we asked an official, they've indicated that it has to do with "labor relations" i.e. the Union doesn't want to lose jobs.

If they've only got 2 people working, that's not that many jobs to lose, is it?

That said, we use the Luggage Direct service, and/or carry off, and on our last 2 cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale this year, we made flights before 10:30am. (we do book back-up flights, just in case.) Both of these cruises were on the 2 largest cruise ships at sea...

We can't understand why U.S. Customs and Border Protection can't get Global Entry in place for cruise arrivals, especially in places like Port Everglades.

There are only 3.5 million passengers coming through Port Everglades per year. They're probably putting the effort into places like Fort Kent on the Maine / New Brunswick border. ;)