Balcony a must in Alaska?

Tiffany18

I really agree with AryMay's comments (She has a spectacular trip review also) I have splurged on a Coral mini for our Northbound next June 10th, as with the current sale I got a mini for about $200 more than a regular balcony on the other dates we were considering. I was able to get the last aft mini with the curved balcony and next to aft viewing deck. We have cruised 4 times and always had a balcony. I could do it happily in an OV or inside, and spend my time in public rooms/decks. However not DH, he wants privacy on vacations, and really enjoys watching the scenery go by even if it was just the open water on our Caribbean cruises. He wakes up during the night, and is usually up early. He loves those private times on the balcony. If we didn't have a balcony I don't think I could get him to go :D. We can't do every high end excursion on our wish list but that is okay there is plenty to see and do and experience.

We have made many trips to Alaska and have sailed balcony as well as inside cabins. For us, we can go either way --- we just want to cruise to Alaska.

Many people have express their opinions here and now it is up to you to make your own decision. The one thing that I would like you to consider is will you be OK if it rains the entire week of your cruise and you can't use your balcony. This is an important when thinking about purchasing a balcony. For example, we did a back to back cruise to Alaska last year and it rained almost every day the first week. I heard MANY people complaining about their balcony purchase and wasted money. For us, it didn't bother us but for others, it was a big issue. Just something to consider.

........ The one thing that I would like you to consider is will you be OK if it rains the entire week of your cruise and you can't use your balcony. This is an important when thinking about purchasing a balcony. For example, we did a back to back cruise to Alaska last year and it rained almost every day the first week. I heard MANY people complaining about their balcony purchase and wasted money. For us, it didn't bother us but for others, it was a big issue. Just something to consider.
This is exactly why we pick a cabin with a covered balcony.

It is right there for us to enjoy in any kind of weather, day or night, without needing to first start getting dressed to appear presentable and then go running out to a public deck.

Besides which, in bad weather the open public decks are often unusable so the indoor public viewing areas become very crowded.

A private balcony is especially appreciated when one is tired, or not feeling well, or has physical disabilities, or is a slow starter in the morning, or just enjoys the simple pleasures of having breakfast, or even a cup of coffee out on the balcony in your bathrobe first thing in the morning.

AryMay wrote an excellent post on reasons for getting a balcony for an Alaska cruise.

Also remember that the cost of a balcony is a lot more reasonable on some ships than on others.

Excursions are wonderful, but an excursion lasts only a short time and is soon over, while the balcony is yours to enjoy for the entire cruise.

Even on a tight budget, it would never come down to a choice between a balcony or excursions for me.

I would do both and economize somewhere else.

So my answer to the question "Balcony a must in Alaska?" is no,

a balcony is not a must, but having one greatly enhances my enjoyment of the entire cruise.

I've cruised Alaska every year except this year, and only twice had a balcony. I tend to agree that you should be all over the ship and a balcony for Alaska is not necessary. Let me relate this little story to you..... last September I left my DH on our balcony when we were cruising back to Vancouver in the Inside Passage and I went up top and over on to the "other side" where I enjoyed the wonderful experience of watching a large pod of Orcas, and then an incredible view of around 150 dolphins in our wake! I ran back down to our cabin to tell hubby and shared with those on adjoining balconies. They had no idea and were just enjoying scenery with no wildlife.

It's something like the Panama - you absolutely have to be all over the ship to get the best advantage in viewing.

My DW and I have been to Alaska several times and we normally book an inside cabin. We decided to treat ourself with a balcony and were traveling from Vancouver to Seward. Leaving port the balcony was great and we enjoyed it very much. The next morning we woke up and decided to go out onto the balcony. I opened the door and it was a light rain and heavy fog and you couldn't see anything. The fog lasted for the entire cruise. Therefore, a balcony was a complete waste of money for us and now we always book an inside room and enjoy the public areas and are able to see much more. We are returning to Alaska next May and have booked an inside cabin. Just remember weather in Alaska is unpredictable and go prepared for any type of weather conditions.

This is exactly why we pick a cabin with a covered balcony.

It is right there for us to enjoy in any kind of weather, day or night, without needing to first start getting dressed to appear presentable and then go running out to a public deck.

Besides which, in bad weather the open public decks are often unusable so the indoor public viewing areas become very crowded.

A private balcony is especially appreciated when one is tired, or not feeling well, or has physical disabilities, or is a slow starter in the morning, or just enjoys the simple pleasures of having breakfast, or even a cup of coffee out on the balcony in your bathrobe first thing in the morning.

AryMay wrote an excellent post on reasons for getting a balcony for an Alaska cruise.

Also remember that the cost of a balcony is a lot more reasonable on some ships than on others.

Excursions are wonderful, but an excursion lasts only a short time and is soon over, while the balcony is yours to enjoy for the entire cruise.

Even on a tight budget, it would never come down to a choice between a balcony or excursions for me.

I would do both and economize somewhere else.

So my answer to the question "Balcony a must in Alaska?" is no,

a balcony is not a must, but having one greatly enhances my enjoyment of the entire cruise.

I think you missed the point of my message --- not worth taking the issue further in my opinion.

I on the other hand would never miss a great excursion just so I can have balcony --- my excursion memories have been priceless and definitely trump what I have seen on my balcony over our 14 cruises to Alaska.

Getting a balcony for an Alaskan cruise is a splurge, but I totally felt it was worth the added cost. My husband is cheap and actually loves inside cabins but even he admitted by the second day that he was glad we spent the extra money to have a balcony.

Unlike a Caribbean cruise where you only see open water most of the time, on an Alaskan cruise you are almost always in site of land...and very scenic land at that! Having the balcony meant we could look out from minute our eyes opened at morning until we hit the bed at night. Actually I will confess I often got up in the middle of the night to look out...and in June it was still light!! And talk about surreal...being able to see waterfalls pass by as I was drying my hair and getting ready for dinner!!

I know many people argue that you see so much more by being out on deck, but I will disagree. Your eyes can only go one direction at a time so regardless of which direction you are looking, you will miss something on the other side of the ship! I'm convinced that by having our balcony we spent much, much more time watching for wildlife just because it was so much more comfortable to have our own space with chairs, a bathroom close by, the chance to step inside the cabin warm up, quick access to cameras, binoculars, etc. I can't even begin to tell you how many whales, sea otters, seals, etc. we saw from our balcony.....

So true, but in addition having the balcony makes the entire cabin much more attractive and appealing because you get those huge expanses of glass instead of just a solid wall or a small window.

You don't even need to step outside to enjoy the balcony.

We spend time every day sitting or lying on the couch in the cabin enjoying the view looking out, especially when one person is waiting while the other is getting ready.

But even those of us who love having a balcony set limits on how much we are willing to pay for one.

The prices can be outrageous on some of the older ships that have very limited balconies.

We all make personal choices as to where we will spend our money and where we will save it.

Most of us who get a balcony also take the excursions we want, even if we are on a tight budget. The balcony has nothing to do with excursions, but some people like to use that as an excuse.

There are so many other ways to save money instead, but we all have our own priorities.

Me and my boyfriend (age 27 and 32) did my second (his first) Alaska cruise through Hal. We originally booked an inside cabin, but as the date got closer prices keep dropping. I kept calling and got refunded money or upgraded(I did not use a travel agent) We went from a inside cabin to a balcony. There are pros and cons to both. I liked the balcony when we were changing outfits or getting dressed, wildlife is everywhere and you never know when you will see whales, sea lions, or sea otters(I seriously would run outside half naked a little too excited) But I like being able to go back and forth between sides as scenery is very different on both sides of the ship. We missed a pod of orcas in glacier bay, as we had kinda slept in (we got up around 9am) we were just enjoying the view outside of our balcony as the captain came on the intercom to announce there presence on the opposite side of the ship. I Was super upset I missed them.

Also there is a guide that comes on board that points wildlife in glacier bay (wildlife that might be hard to see without someone telling you it was there such as bear or goats) he/she will set up in the crows nest. Also you can turn your tv to a channel that also shows them talking which is nice to listen to while standing on your own balcony with no crowd. It would be nice if hal placed speakers of the guide talking on the lido deck. Or inside the ship. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

For anyone who cares, we decided on an interior room at the front of the ship on a deck that has an outside viewing area. Our room is only steps away from the door outside. We have chosen rooms like this on past cruises. It's nice to wake up and immediately go outside to look around. Seeing as how these viewing decks are located on floors that just have rooms, there are much less people on them. I think it is a nice compromise for us. Thanks again for all your input!

In reading through your responses, OP, it seems to me that you are trying to save as much money as possible but you are afraid you are going to miss out on the balcony experience. I had the same concern when booking our Alaska trip. We ended up with an interior and I believe that it was the right decision for us.

Consider these points:

1. Alaska has amazing views no matter where you are on the ship. I was in photog heaven. No matter where I stuck out my camera, there was something awesome to see. I remember how excited I was to see a whale for the first time from the ship...However, it was way out there and even with a 200mm zoom (and digital zoom after) it was hard to see. In fact, even though you can see the water spouts, there really wasn't much more than a black dot in the distance that you could attribute to a whale. In addition, the cruise ship purpose is to get you somewhere. Very rarely will it stop so you can enjoy a few whales. Ultimately, the best way to see/experience any marine wildlife is from a small boat excursion.

2. I found that the front of the ship was the best place to spy for wildlife and views. It was easy to move to the left or right side depending on what is around. Personally, I hate the idea that I may be missing out on something happening on the other side of the ship, so I found the front of the ship the best place to scan the horizon.

3. Having a camera with me was a great way to bond with others who have a camera. I have good memories of "the morning crew", a few early rising camera enthusiasts that would start our day up on the front of the deck with a hot cup of coffee in one hand and our camera in the other. We would help scan the horizons for activity. Throughout the cruise, we would see each other and share what we saw/did. It was a nice way to meet others.

4. Excursions in Alaska are not cheap.

5. IMHO, unless you enjoy shopping, the typical cruise port in Alaska is not that spectacular (there are some exceptions, like Icy Strait). You really have to get out of the ports to experience Alaska. Take a small boat tour like Adventure Bound or rent a car and drive into the Yukon.

So based on all that...for our cruise to Alaska in May 2012, the money we saved by going with an inside (over a balcony) paid for ALL of our excursions (and we still came out ahead...even after souvenirs and a couple nice port lunches). For reference, we:

- took an 8 hour tour to Tracy Arm via Adventure Bound- a must do btw!

- kayaked in Orcas Cove in Ketchikan (amazing)

- went whale watching in Icy Strait Point (awesome)

- went hiking in Skagway (I wish we would have rented a car).

- took a train ride from Seward to Anchorage (nice, but next time we are renting a car and driving)

- ate lunch at Tracy's Crab Shack (overrated btw)

- ate lunch at the fish and chip place on the Ketchikan dock (not bad)

- gifts for the kids/grandparents/co-workers (cheap Chinese stuff ftw!)

Oh and by the time we got back from our excursions, we were so tired that some times we just skipped dinner and went right to bed.

So, if I could have afforded a balcony and done all that I did, then the answer would have been simple...get the balcony. However, at my stage in life (3 young kids, mortgage...) I have to make sacrifices.

My advice to the OP, if you can afford it, then yes, get the balcony...however, don't get the balcony at the expense of excursions.

Have a great time!

Great summary, ikirumata - we are just in the planning stages. Yours plus all of the info on this thread has helped tremendously. Booking Alaskan excursions is a bit overwhelming to me, for some reason, but reading your info has nudged me into doing some research.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A balcony is nice but I would not pay much extra for it. The problem is that Alaska is a 360 degree viewing cruise and on a balcony you only see 180 degrees. What do you if the best view of the whale breaching or the glacier calving is on the other side of the ship?

DON

Having sailed in balconies and ocean views, though not in Alaska, I'd have to say this question is like asking if people prefer white or wheat bread. The answer is very subjective and subject to personal needs. My first three cruises were in balconies and I thought I could never do without one. I then had the chance to cruise NZ/AUS in an obstructed OV. I was a bit leery but couldn't pass up the chance. Much to my pleasure, it was fine! I did another cruise in an obstructed OV and will be in one in Alaska in June. Saving the money to spend on other things works out well for me. Would I sail in a balcony again? Probably not unless the price was too good to pass up. I might even consider an inside one day.

Another vote for a balcony here, for several reasons. I've only sailed to Alaska once, but it was in an aft wrap SB8147 on the Westerdam.

First, I tend to get sea sick and the worst is being inside an enclosed cabin or room with no window. Having a balcony allows me to step outside, get some fresh air, and stare at the horizon. The immediate relief means a lot as opposed to racing through those long enclosed hallways and elevators when I'm trying to not toss my cookies lol

Second, I was experiencing a lot of back pain and all the walking in ports as well as getting around the ship was making it much worse. Having a balcony, especially in Glacier Bay, helped a lot. I would not have been able to enjoy the scenery as much if I was attempting to race around the upper decks to see everything. From our aft corner, neither of us felt like we missed anything. I've since had surgery and am relatively pain free so I'm eager to get back to Alaska so I can really enjoy it without all the pain :)

If you decide to splurge on a balcony, I really recommend an aft facing for Alaska because you can see both shores at the same time so you don't miss any scenery, and what you don't see going in, like the panorama of the glaciers, you'll see going back out. Also the aft was way better because we were protected from the wind. The side balcony was always very cold and windy. We mostly used the aft facing area because we were out of the wind and were much more comfortable.

Amen.

You will also not have to compete for access to a public restroom.

I have been lurking here for a while, but I can't resist.....

when was the last time any man waited in a long line up for a rest room???::D:p:p

I have been lurking here for a while, but I can't resist.....

when was the last time any man waited in a long line up for a rest room???::D:p:p

Hahaha! Good one Kazu! Welcome to the Alaska forum. There are many very knowledgeable experienced Alaska cruisers AND residents on this forum -- it will be a great resource for you as you prepare for your upcoming Alaska cruise.

Edited by CowPrincess

Amen.

You will also not have to compete for access to a public restroom.

What cruise line was this on, that you needed to "compete for access to a public restroom"?

IMHO that kind of statement (the one I quoted) is not in the spirit of Cruise Critic. We are supposed to be helping other cruisers with accurate information. Just because you prefer to have a balcony does not mean it is the best cabin for everyone. Not everyone can afford a balcony, and others who can possibly afford a balcony may have other priorities. Does that mean they shouldn't cruise to Alaska? No, it means they know what they are comfortable spending. It is up to us, the people who have cruised to Alaska, to encourage them to make the right choice for their particular circumstance. A comment about competing for public restrooms is IMHO irresponsible, and certainly in the case of Holland America, inaccurate.

Hahaha! Good one Kazu! Welcome to the Alaska forum. There are many very knowledgeable experienced Alaska cruisers AND residents on this forum -- it will be a great resource for you as you prepare for your upcoming Alaska cruise.

Thank you very much for the welcome Cow Princess. I have been here reading madly. I remember you posting on our roll call. This is a great forum and I am learning a lot from the knowledgeable CC members here.

Ikirumata makes good points. I generally found if you sat on your balcony you would only have about a third of the view (you do not see in front or on the other side). I often found myself going from side to side on deck. Also, in T. Arm and Glacier Bay HAL opened the bow, which IMHO was the best place to be.