Stateroom attendants dishonesty

Guern69

There was half a can of Club soda in her fridge.

She was mistakenly charged $9.50 for "something", but it was refunded.

She decided not to give her attendant an extra tip, even though he was fantastic all week, because he was "dishonest".

How does this make sense/add up to anyone?

Having heard this terrible tale of woe,I have decided to cancel my next three cruises lest something so terrible might happen to me. I am going instead to East Africa and will take my chances with the ebola virus rather than risk being treated so outrageously on a cruise vacation.

My questions would be if the OP WAS CERTAIN that the $9.50 was for the club soda (which as stated costs a lot less than that) AND if the OP was CERTAIN that the $9.50 was for the mini-bar. I've had "mis billings" for various bars throughout my cruising life. Sometimes I've had a pre-paid beverage package so shouldn't have had a bar charge at all. Sometimes there will be charges for bars that I've never been to (but then I wonder if it could be the MDR bar service, the theater bar servers, etc where they went to a different less crowded bar).

Sometimes the line item was on a day I never got ANYTHING from ANY bar all day. I've spoken to guest services about this on a (very) few occasions, and usually we can figure out what the bill was for (i.e.: the charge actually appeared on the bill as one date but service was rendered the previous evening). Once in a blue moon I've had the charge removed.

So perhaps the bill, though dated stamped about the time of the Club Soda Incident, was actually for a previous day. I had a friend who kept EVERY SINGLE drink chit (pre packages) and I always thought it was needless effort, but it may have helped in this situation. I could never be bothered to have such a massive collection of receipts.

OTOH I tend not to worry about one $9.50 charge. Granted, if they overcharge everyone $10, that's a lot of overcharges. I'm on vacation and $10 isn't something I would normally even look twice at. I just have a hard time thinking that the steward would jeopardize, not just his TIPS, but his JOB for a club soda. They work w/ the doors open and I've never seen any of them drinking anything in my cabin. Ever.

I have no reason to doubt there was an open can of Club Soda in the cabin. I have no reason to doubt there was a $9.50 charge. I am confused as to how and IF they were related.

This thread reaks of interrogation of the OP.

Probably because he accused his cabin attendant of being dishonest. That doesn't sit well with most people. Also, his "facts" don't add up. The mini bar does not charge $9.50 for a can of club soda.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

I looked but he wasn't around to ask and I wanted to sort it out before the inevitable rush on the last evening or last morning.

You do know that you can call housekeeping, if you need to see your room steward, don't you? Personally, on the last day of a cruise, I've never had much problem finding any of my room stewards. Before I would accuse someone of dishonesty -- to their bosses, and on a public forum -- I would at least have the courtesy of asking them for an explanation.

For the record, we have returned home several times to find erroneous min-bar charges on our credit card bill -- both on RC and X cruises. Two of these have occurred after we had the mini-bar emptied, upon embarkation. Each time we have been able to have the charge removed, with one phone call. I really wish that RCCL would do away with the mini-bar on all of their ships -- and just leave the refrigerator.

Edited by wwcruisers

This thread is a perfect example why these boards can be TERRIBLE. Most of the people posting haven't even read all the OP's posts and further explanations and are so fast to blame the OP as being dishonest or a drunk. I get so mad when ppl can't just listen and respond to the question or issue without jumping in and saying "I've cruised 6 billion times and left 6 billion in cash around the room and my cabin attendant has been like a fair godmother who is so deserving of tips that even if she poops on my face I know that she deserves 6 billion dollars in tips - no questions asked."

No one is infallible. A little more respect for an OP who has stuck around to explain the situation, I believe, is warranted. This isn't some one post wonder troll.

Bravo !!!!

The lack of reading comprehension exhibited by many of those folks bashing the OP is appalling.

This thread is a perfect example why these boards can be TERRIBLE. Most of the people posting haven't even read all the OP's posts and further explanations and are so fast to blame the OP as being dishonest or a drunk. I get so mad when ppl can't just listen and respond to the question or issue without jumping in and saying "I've cruised 6 billion times and left 6 billion in cash around the room and my cabin attendant has been like a fair godmother who is so deserving of tips that even if she poops on my face I know that she deserves 6 billion dollars in tips - no questions asked."

No one is infallible. A little more respect for an OP who has stuck around to explain the situation, I believe, is warranted. This isn't some one post wonder troll.

So true, I said the same thing in my post and someone said where did a $100.00 come from. A perfect example of people not reading the posts.:confused:

Some people need to build a bridge a get over it.

Possible scenario:

The OP asked that the fridge be emptied. A few things were taken out, to make room for water but others left in. At some point, the mini bar person (I believe this is not the stateroom attendant, as I've had a dedicated mini bar person come around before to check the fridge) came around, didn't realize the missing items were in a cabinet, and entered a charged for a couple of sodas that equaled 9.50. Later, the stateroom attendant maybe doesn't feel well, and is carrying around a can of club soda to help keep his stomach settled, because in all likelihood he cannot afford to miss a day of work. It starts to get warm, so he puts it in the fridge to chill while he cleans the room and then accidentally forgets about it and leaves it there. Does this sound too far fetched or could this or something similar possibly explain things? Who knows, because the OP never talked to the stateroom attendant. :rolleyes:

To continue this joke.

This left a bitter taste in the mouth, was that from the soda.

Now the $9.50, was that for the half can? Do we know what happened to the other half of the soda?

Still don't know where the $100.00 came from, was that the tip on the soda?

Then there's the person with 6 billion cruises and 6 billion dollars and the fairy godmother poops on this persons face. Then we have the various scenarios, could be this, could be that. None of the replies suggest wrapping the can and sending to NCIS or Colombo for finger prints. So as you can tell I'm still confused.

To make a criminal case over a can of coke is ridiculous.

Particularly IF the OP stiffed the cabin steward out of their tip and potentially got the cabin steward fired.

Some people shouldn't travel.

And some should not comment without reading first. The OP clearly stated that gratuities were pre-paid so no one was "stiffed". The OP elected to not give additional gratuity based on the incident in question.

On our last cruise, I found a slip of paper in my 'mailbox' that was a receipt for a mini bar charge. We have never used anything out of the mini bar and had not consumed the beverage. I just took the receipt to the steward and told him we had not taken the can of coke or whatever it was, and the charge was removed. End of story.

But has anyone considered that the steward had brought his own drink with him on his shift, and left it in the fridge to keep cold, assuming the op wouldn't be back for a few hours?

To make a criminal case over a can of coke is ridiculous.

Particularly IF the OP stiffed the cabin steward out of their tip and potentially got the cabin steward fired.

Some people shouldn't travel.

Try reading - and comprehending. You will be amazed the difference it can make in your life. Perhaps then you would not respond with a statement like you did

I've gone back and read the first post again.

She mentions "dishonesty" 3 times.

Please, OP...what was dishonest? That he took a can? That he didn't own up to it? (Did you ask him what happened?).

And again, the mention that he is not going to get his tip...did you REMOVE all auto tips at that point, or just not give him any "extra"? I'm not sure I'm as clear on that as some are.

And getting an apology from CS means sounds like you did come down pretty hard on the RS, rather than just saying "have this charge, didn't do it" which they always just take off. If you went into CS mentioning your RS's "dishonesty", chances are good that you did do something to jeopardize his job, maybe not lose it, but definitely cause him to have some sort of punishment or probation.

But has anyone considered that the steward had brought his own drink with him on his shift, and left it in the fridge to keep cold, assuming the op wouldn't be back for a few hours?

I made that same assertion, as have a few....

I do not doubt what the OP found.....I just have a hard time with the "assumption" that the stateroom attendant stole the drink.....it is always so easy to blame...when frequently a different explanation is there if a little research is done, rather than running to Guest Relations and reporting a "theft" immediately.

Why in the world would ANYONE risk their job stealing a soft drink....come on people....really?

Possible scenario:

The OP asked that the fridge be emptied. A few things were taken out, to make room for water but others left in. At some point, the mini bar person (I believe this is not the stateroom attendant, as I've had a dedicated mini bar person come around before to check the fridge) came around, didn't realize the missing items were in a cabinet, and entered a charged for a couple of sodas that equaled 9.50. Later, the stateroom attendant maybe doesn't feel well, and is carrying around a can of club soda to help keep his stomach settled, because in all likelihood he cannot afford to miss a day of work. It starts to get warm, so he puts it in the fridge to chill while he cleans the room and then accidentally forgets about it and leaves it there. Does this sound too far fetched or could this or something similar possibly explain things? Who knows, because the OP never talked to the stateroom attendant. :rolleyes:

Or how about the previous passenger drank part of the club soda and put it back in the mini bar, so they wouldn't be charged and the the mini bar person noticed it was opened and thought the current passenger did it and left it on the counter and charged the passenger for it.

This thread demonstrates quite clearly that billing mistakes do happen. These mistakes are not just limited to minibar charges. It is also quite clear that once a mistake is reported it is removed. I've had personal experience with this as well. The important lesson for new cruisers is that you should check your account via your stateroom TV frequently. The sooner you discover an error the greater the chance of getting it resolved. Can't even estimate how many cruisers have told me that they either did not know they could check their account or confessed that they never checked.

Or how about the previous passenger drank part of the club soda and put it back in the mini bar, so they wouldn't be charged and the the mini bar person noticed it was opened and thought the current passenger did it and left it on the counter and charged the passenger for it.

Then wouldn't the attendant have noticed the half empty can when the OP asked him to clear out the mini bar?

This thread demonstrates quite clearly that billing mistakes do happen. These mistakes are not just limited to minibar charges. It is also quite clear that once a mistake is reported it is removed. I've had personal experience with this as well. The important lesson for new cruisers is that you should check your account via your stateroom TV frequently. The sooner you discover an error the greater the chance of getting it resolved. Can't even estimate how many cruisers have told me that they either did not know they could check their account or confessed that they never checked.

Hi Orator! I suspect that you are right -- billing mistakes happen, regularly. It amazes me that we have had minor mini-bar charges show up on our credit card, post-cruise -- when we've had the steward empty the mini-bar on day one! It must just be a re-stocking issue: anything missing automatically gets charged to the cabin's previous occupant. :eek:

What makes this really aggravating is that we tell the cabin attendant to let us know if there is any problem, when they remove the mini-fridge contents. We also check our on-line account daily, and insist on getting a final bill the last night. Sadly, none of that is sufficient protection from "inventory mismanagement". :(

Edited by wwcruisers