Anyone else abandoned by RCCL at Venice airport.

Easyjet has been an airline that requires you to check yourself in prior to travel for a few years now.

I don't think it's their fault unfortunately.

Hope you got back ok in the end though :(

As OP clarified, the reason for being bumped was not that they didn't check in, but that they didn't re-confirm their flight. I have never re-confirmed a flight in over 40 years of air travel (although I frequently check to make sure that my flights haven't changed). All one normally needs to do is check in by a certain time, usually 30 minutes to a couple of hours prior to the flight's departure. Perhaps OP missed that window, but my guess is that EasyJet personnel were scrambling to accommodate the passengers from the day before, so unless OP checked in late, I do think it's their fault.

OP, I'm sorry that happened to you. I'd be hopping mad, too.

This tale horrifies me. We have often booked the RCCL/Celebrity package for a fly cruise from the UK. Yes, it costs more than doing it yourself but we always felt the security in travel arrangements made it worthwhile.

I sincerely believe you have a comeback on the cruise line. EU consumer law is very clear on this, which partially explains why our deposits are non-refundable.

Please do not accept this disgraceful lack of care. A Fly/Cruise package will be subject to consumer law. Try contacting ABTA perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sincerely believe you have a comeback on the cruise line. EU consumer law is very clear on this, which partially explains why our deposits are non-refundable.

Please do not accept this disgraceful lack of care. A Fly/Cruise package will be subject to consumer law. Try contacting ABTA perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I kinda thought you had all kinds of consumer laws for this....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry this happened to you OP. Funny policy with Easy Jet to reconfirm flights. I have not reconfirmed a flight with any airline since at least 10 years now. If this was a requirement of Easy Jet, you should have been made aware of this policy by who ever booked your flight.

Edited by travelberlin

OP: Someone gave you incorrect information about the reason you were denied boarding. It could NOT have been because you failed to reconfirm your flight. Did you read the EasyJet Terms and Conditions?

Check out Article 7, which says:

Your Booking is confirmed when We, or a licensed third party booking system, makes a Booking for You. This Booking is then forwarded to You via email, or via a Confirmation Document where the Booking is made at the Sales Desk or Customer Services Desk, or via a letter for Your records. It is not necessary for You to reconfirm a Flight for which a Booking has been made.

See the link, which is on their website:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions

OP: Someone gave you incorrect information about the reason you were denied boarding. It could NOT have been because you failed to reconfirm your flight. Did you read the EasyJet Terms and Conditions?

Check out Article 7, which says:

Your Booking is confirmed when We, or a licensed third party booking system, makes a Booking for You. This Booking is then forwarded to You via email, or via a Confirmation Document where the Booking is made at the Sales Desk or Customer Services Desk, or via a letter for Your records. It is not necessary for You to reconfirm a Flight for which a Booking has been made.

See the link, which is on their website:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions

Interesting.

In an earlier post, the OP says Easyjet helped with hotel and meal vouchers. Perhaps the airline did so because they were at fault (not likely out of the goodness of their hearts).

After our recent cruise on Spleandour of the Seas to the Greek Isles we were bumped from out Easyjet flight to Gatwick from Marco Polo in Venice because the cruise company (we had booked a fly/cruise package) had not checked us in. We tried to get help from the RCCL staff at the airport so that we could get home but the RCCL staff said that they were only there for the incoming passengers for the next sailing. They said that they couldnt help us. We were shocked that this could happen. We were stuck in Venice for 4 days before the airline could get us home.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you manage to resolve this with RCCL.

Not sure what this has to do with RCI, you are responsible for your own Check-In for flights....

Not sure what this has to do with RCI, you are responsible for your own Check-In for flights....

I wish people would read the whole thread before they comment. If you did you would see the OP says he misspoke and has clarified his post.

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't blame either of you for being furious.

I wish people would read the whole thread before they comment. If you did you would see the OP says he misspoke and has clarified his post.

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't blame either of you for being furious.

I also wish people would read more of the thread before responding. That the OP confused the words here does make one wonder if perhaps the words might also have gotten the words confused when talking with the Royal Caribbean reps, especially since that must have been a high stress time. I know I make more wording errors when stressed.

If the Royal Caribbean reps thought it was a "check in" issue, they rightly would refer client to the airline. On the other hand, if they understood the airline bumped the passengers while trying to blame Royal Caribbean/passenger for some bogus "confirmation" issue, maybe the cruiseline could have tried to protect it's reputation by doing more. personally, I rather think the airline decided to bump the Op and to make the OP low priority:rolleyes:. I doubt the cruiseline could fix the airline's bogus policies, but I wish they had tried hard to do so. just my guess, anyway.

I also wish the OP would have titled the thread "Stranded by EastJet in Venice" rather than abandoned by Royal Caribbean. i really think the airline is the main issue, though that does not totally let the cruise line off the hook....If Easy Jet has a history of treating Royal Caribbean passengers this way, certainly the cruise line should stop booking passengers on that airline, unless all the other airlines treat passengers just as badly, Perish the thought.

We had just completed 2 back to back cruises. We had four suitcases. I have had open heart surgery so cant pull suitcases. Taking a train/bus etc and trying to pull 4 suitcases all over rome and then the uk was not an option hence booking a package. Our car was at a hotel at Gatwick so we couldnt go to another airport in the UK. Etc Etc........

I'm confused. How would booking your own flight home from Venice result in pulling 4 suitcases all over Rome? :confused:

You were already at the airport; book a flight. If an available flight went to, say Heathrow, could you not then get a cab from Heathrow to Gatwick? I'm just finding it difficult to understand why you would stay in Venice for 4 whole days rather than try to get home earlier, however possible?

I'm confused. How would booking your own flight home from Venice result in pulling 4 suitcases all over Rome? :confused:

You were already at the airport; book a flight. If an available flight went to, say Heathrow, could you not then get a cab from Heathrow to Gatwick? I'm just finding it difficult to understand why you would stay in Venice for 4 whole days rather than try to get home earlier, however possible?

There are a ton of flights leaving Marco polo daily , at least 6 or so going to London, no reason to hang around

http://www.veniceairport.it/en/flights/todays-flights/international-departures.html

Edited by setsail

Op I am terribly sorry this happened to you and glad you made it home safely. I have always called the airlines and Hotel to reconfirm our Reservations 1 month from departure and also either check to verify departure/arrival times or receive an email from the airline if a change is made.

That is not how it works with uk bookings.

Most TA package cruise only with air hotel options.

they olso sell cruise only and cruise line packages.

:confused: I am from UK and have done a fly cruise:confused:

A "Fly Cruise" is not a cruise with an optional air package:confused:

A "Fly cruise" is a complete package including air!

No matter the root cause, I am very sorry this happened to you. It sounds terrible. I am glad you are now safely home.

From afar, it sounds like the airline has an insane confirmation policy and/or an exceptional willingness to bump passenger from original flights to accommodate others. I would not be willing to fly an airline with such policies; I'd book my own air tickets to avoid such an airline (but I am in USA).

Perhaps the extra protection offered to package bookings made on your side of the pond make such a package booking worth the risk. If so, I hope you fully avail yourself of each and every consumer protection that came with your package.

All cheap airlines all over the world over book seats, they expect a percentage of "no shows" every flight. travellers are bumped all the time even in USA, full service airlines and national carriers do not purposely over book but all budget airlines do as common practice:)

They did check in? they were first in queue! The airline bumped them because of a previous air strike and gave their seats away to others waiting to fly out.

The fly cruise package was through RCI so it has everything to do with RCI.

If you booked airport transfers through RCI and they didnt arrive to pick you up on time and then you missed the cruise because of it who would you blame? Yourself for waiting too long and not getting a cab instead?

If RCI staff then said sorry nothing to do with us take it up with the transport company they own the bus who would you blame? yourself? nothing to do with RCI!:rolleyes:

:confused: I am from UK and have done a fly cruise:confused:

A "Fly Cruise" is not a cruise with an optional air package:confused:

A "Fly cruise" is a complete package including air!

In many cases it will NOT be a cruise line "fly cruise" the ATOL number will tell you who packed the deal.

Really important to understand the difference.

It took 4 days to get home because there had been a strike by easyjet the day before and the airline was trying to get these passengers home before us. Because of this there wasn't an available seats to get us to our destination for 4 days.

Sounds like an easyjet problem. Also sounds like the rep there maybe didn't know what was going on with your situation.

Someone before mentioned a train. Maybe that's what the OP is referring to?

They did check in? they were first in queue! The airline bumped them because of a previous air strike and gave their seats away to others waiting to fly out.

That's the question for me. When they mean checkin, if the airline is responsible, then the OP means online checkin. Confirming a flight would mean calling in. Was the OP standing in line to check bags, or to actually check in, or what?

All cheap airlines all over the world over book seats, they expect a percentage of "no shows" every flight. travellers are bumped all the time even in USA, full service airlines and national carriers do not purposely over book but all budget airlines do as common practice:)

I have worked in the airline industry for a very long time. Virtually every single airline overbooks flights. This includes every full service airline and national carrier I have ever heard of. The amount they overbook may vary a bit. I know that Easyjet and Ryan are known for overbooking at a higher amount and then using absolutely any slight misstep as a reason to cancel the customer's reservation - which looks to be the case here.

Sounds like an easyjet problem. Also sounds like the rep there maybe didn't know what was going on with your situation.

Someone before mentioned a train. Maybe that's what the OP is referring to?

That's the question for me. When they mean checkin, if the airline is responsible, then the OP means online checkin. Confirming a flight would mean calling in. Was the OP standing in line to check bags, or to actually check in, or what?

It was a package tour, tour operator is responsible for confirming flights OP is only responsible for checking in at airport desk with bags to get on that confirmed flight. If there is a problem with carriage then the tour operator should have notified the OP and arranged alternative carriage.

OP was first in queue to physically check in at airport for a confirmed flight that was no longer confirmed.

OP has said this was an RCI organized flycruise so RCI are in the wrong because there tour operator did not re confirm the OP,s flights home during a strike,so ezi jet bumped OP for other people in line who missed their own flights due to the strike and before the OP was even off the cruise!

RCI employed staff should have given some sort of assistance/information/help to OP at the airport.

Remember Italy is foreign country to OP and a foreign speaking country not a domestic state to state or city to city flight.

I have worked in the airline industry for a very long time. Virtually every single airline overbooks flights. This includes every full service airline and national carrier I have ever heard of. The amount they overbook may vary a bit. I know that Easyjet and Ryan are known for overbooking at a higher amount and then using absolutely any slight misstep as a reason to cancel the customer's reservation - which looks to be the case here.

Appreciate your first hand knowledge:)

Some may not even realize airlines overbook, but at least with full service airlines they usually get you on the next available flight or compensate! some budget airlines only offer a refund.

A cheap $50 fare may look great compared to a full service flight price until you are bumped on the cheap flight and only given a $50 refund.

Some may not even realize airlines overbook, but at least with full service airlines they usually get you on the next available flight or compensate! some budget airlines only offer a refund.

A cheap $50 fare may look great compared to a full service flight price until you are bumped on the cheap flight and only given a $50 refund.

Depends on which laws they are operating under, but in the US if you are bumped involuntarily then they MUST provided you cash compensation (the amount varies on a few factors) and they MUST provide you with travel on the next available flight by that carrier. The airline cannot legally refund you and leave you without a flight. The European Union has similar laws.

Also there is a common misconception that the cheapest ticket is the one bumped. That is also not legal - they must bump in order of check-in, so whomever checked in last gets bumped (even if they have the most expensive fare).

The eu has set levels of competition over the flight cost for delays/cancellations

It was a package tour, tour operator is responsible for confirming flights OP is only responsible for checking in at airport desk with bags to get on that confirmed flight. If there is a problem with carriage then the tour operator should have notified the OP and arranged alternative carriage.

OP was first in queue to physically check in at airport for a confirmed flight that was no longer confirmed.

OP has said this was an RCI organized flycruise so RCI are in the wrong because there tour operator did not re confirm the OP,s flights home during a strike,so ezi jet bumped OP for other people in line who missed their own flights due to the strike and before the OP was even off the cruise!

RCI employed staff should have given some sort of assistance/information/help to OP at the airport.

Remember Italy is foreign country to OP and a foreign speaking country not a domestic state to state or city to city flight.

The airlines own web site indicates that reconfirming is not necessary. What I suspect is that with the strike the airlines had some passengers to get out and made the decision to get them out. After all a canceled ticket due to a strike is refundable. I suspect that they took a look at fares paid and just started replacing those with the cheapest fare with those that they had waiting that had paid higher fares. The couple didn't know better and let the airline get away with it (they should have referenced the no need to reconfirm when they checked in).

The problem was with the airline. They dropped them, even though they were in accordance with the airline procedures.

If the tickets were through RCI they should have stepped up to get them out sooner. Clearly the RCI people at the airport are not the ones to go through.

The contact number for the air services for RCI should have handled it much better.

Edited by RDC1