Summit Aqua Class mini review

galavant3

I hope to do a full review but, in the mean time, I thought I'd mention a few things that have been discussed recently. This cruise departed from San Juan and included the ports St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, and St. Thomas.

Cabin 9104 - we did get the sparkling wine, fruit, tea and bottled water. The fresh flowers appeared around day 2 or 3. However, my in laws did not get the flowers so maybe that was an Elite perk? The afternoon canapes are by request and you must be in your cabin to have them delivered. Since we were never in our cabin from 4:30 to 5:30, we never requested them. We received a total of three bags and I'm not sure which were from AQ and which were not. In one of the bags were lip balm and spa slippers. Robes (not to keep) were in the closet. Also in the cabin were binoculars and an umbrella (again, not gifts)

Perryton was our attendant and, for us, he was perfect. He was efficient, friendly and the few requests we made were addressed quickly. The pool deck was above us and a few mornings, I heard chairs being moved. However, I was up and on the balcony so I can't say if I would have heard the noise if I were in the cabin and my husband (who was still sleeping) never mentioned it.

We received the chocolate covered Oreo and towel animal one night (first formal night) which was fine by us.

Blu - was outstanding. Since we sat in the same general area each night, we saw mostly the same staff. Alvin, Simean, Andres and Oksana were extremely attentive and a pleasure to meet. I have to also mention Sofjia who was also great but we saw her mostly at breakfast. We felt the food was excellent. Highlights for us were the lamb chops (a double chop perfectly cooked and also braised lamb wrapped in phyllo with a wine reduction - excellent) and the short ribs which were amazing. A favorite of mine is the braised lamb shank. I didn't eat a lot of desserts but a warm chocolate cake with coffee ice cream was the absolute perfect bit. Just a tiny cake with a scoop of ice cream.

We ate breakfast in Blu most mornings and it was also very good. I'm fairly boring. Poached egg on rye toast. However, the egg was always perfect which isn't always the case elsewhere. We had a smoothie most mornings and they were very good. We did eat in Normandie one morning and it was fine. The plates were pre-assembled and the service was very fast. There were only a handful of people there. There were no hot options, just cold plates of cheese, cold cuts, smoked salmon etc and pastries. It was a nice change of scenery.

In Blu, most people were dressed in suits or blazers on formal night. I noticed one man in a short sleeved shirt but it didn't appear to be an issue.

We didn't eat dinner in the Main Dining Room but I did notice this in the Celebrity Today: Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, sports caps and pool wear are not allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require & enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice.

Maybe the wording has always been there and I just noticed it.

We had the premium beverage package (after much contemplation) and it was great. Our sommelier in Blu (Onur - who was fabulous) selected wines each night based on our dinner choices. I was concerned that service would be lacking because of the beverage packages but that wasn't the case at all. The martini bar was crowded a lot - mostly the before dinner crowd - but the bartenders (and at one time there were 5 behind the bar!) were working frantically to make sure everyone was served.

We did the extra cost wine tasting (which we NEVER do) and it was done a bit differently. You received a listing of 12 wines and there were 6 stations set up, each with 2 of the 12 wines. You tasted as many as you liked. Or you could just keep drinking a few. So, if you had no interest in a Riesling, you just didn't go to that station. Even though we did not have Eren as a sommelier, our few dealings with him stood out. He has very professional, accommodating and went out of his way to help you appreciate the wines. He also "taught" the free wine tasting - I'm not sure at what level this is offered but we went to that also and enjoyed it. (the wines were better at the "for fee" tasting, no surprise).

We went to the Elite cocktail hour (Revelations on deck 11) one night for just a few minutes. We missed the passed hors d'oeuvres and we had the beverage package so I'm not sure what drinks were included. It was not crowded at all. In fact, there were no Elite drink vouchers on this cruise. I also attended the Elite tea which was very nice. Small tea sandwiches and pastries and of course, tea. We didn't attend any of the evening events.

We were never offered a discount on specialty dining as we have been in the past. It didn't matter because we like Blu and wouldn't have taken advantage of it any way.

We took advantage of Persian Gardens once and we were the only ones in there the entire time.

Overall, it was a wonderful cruise. My only regret is that I never got a chance to use my free Gelato coupon....

Edited by galavant3

Hi, this is a lovely review. I've just booked Aqua class and have been given a seating time of 6.30 for evening meal. I thought it would be anytime dinning in there.

Were you given a time to use Blu restaurant ?

Catherine

Edited by north east girl

Hi, this is a lovely review. I've just booked Aqua class and have been given a seating time of 6.30 for evening meal. I thought it would be anytime dinning in there.

Catherine

You select a time when you book but you won't have a pre-assigned dinner time when you get on board. The first night, they might request that you dine at a certain time but even that isn't enforced.

I think they assign a dining time just so that you don't get assigned "select" dining.

We dined at a different time each evening with no problem.

Edited by galavant3

Hi GALAVANT3

Great Review.

Care to share more on the Ports of Call, or your time ashore ? As this is The Summits alternate Itinerary we have not done yet

Catherine

Ya it is just a "set up" issue for your Dining Preference.

Although some claim it is also to ease all the stress that the DR Staff has to go thru on E-Day in regards to change over set ups, new Pax, Muster Drill etc.

Especially so if one is on a Sailing like the Summit where Muster Drill & Sailaway happens in the middle of the Dinner

Blu is indeed anytime dining...

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I wonder what happened to Elena in Blu? She along with Oksana and Sofia were our trio of angels at all meals, and it was only Elena's first stint on board so she should have still been there.

Do you remember who she worked with? Perhaps we just didn't get seated in her section. I think Alvin and Oksana were a team and Simean and Andres also.

I've never heard of the other three you mentioned (besides Oksana). She worked as a team with Sofia. But Oksana was always at our table, too, so we considered them as 3 together.

Elena was a slight, thin pretty Russian girl, light brown hair up in a bun, pale blue eyes.

Care to share more on the Ports of Call, or your time ashore ? As this is The Summits alternate Itinerary we have not done yet

Happily. It seems we are an oddity because, in general, we book through the ship. It is just easier for us and to date, we have been pleased. We took advantage of the Celebrity promotion and since we booked 4 tours each, we had a total of $80 on board credit applied.

In St. Croix, we did the Coastal Bike tour. It was very good but for the three hours, about an hour was actual biking. The rest of the time, we stopped and our guide provided us with island information. Not at all strenuous.

St. Kitts, we did the essentials tour and liked that as well. Highlight of the trip was Fort Brimstone. If you do this tour, bring walking shoes because it is quite a hike up the side of the fort.

We did the River and Ocean Kayak in Dominica and enjoyed that. Just enough "white water" to make it fun. We were early in the season so the river will be a bit higher going forward. It will be just as fun but you probably won't have to worry so much about rock. In the end, we were able to kayak in the ocean for a while and go for a swim.

We hiked to the Seven Sisters Falls in Grenada and we really liked it. However, it is a very steep hike and very muddy and slippery. Several people seemed to be struggling with the hike back up and the only option is to hike it...no vehicles could possibly get to the trail. We had a nice swim in the falls. This is one of those times when "strenuous" really does mean strenuous. When you complete the hike, there are men waiting to wash off your shoes. We were happy to tip them for this service because our shoes were caked with mud! Take old shoes if you choose this activity.

We didn't do the volcano hike on another stop (St. Kitts??) but we heard from other passengers that it was even more muddy and slippery and at least one person had a fall. If you aren't sure, but want to hike, I would recommend the Seven Sisters.

By St. Thomas, we decided to go on our own and I printed out a self guided walking tour. We had never really seen the historic section of Charlotte Amalie and it was awesome. We did a small bit of shopping and then took a cab to Megan's Bay for a swim.

I loved the itinerary and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I've never heard of the other three you mentioned (besides Oksana). She worked as a team with Sofia. But Oksana was always at our table, too, so we considered them as 3 together.

Elena was a slight, thin pretty Russian girl, light brown hair up in a bun, pale blue eyes.

I'm not sure but there were several staff members working the back of the restaurant that we never met. I bet they just change teams and she was assigned to work with others on this trip.

Thank you.

We have found we too do a mix of Ship Tours & DIYs... The latter mostly in countries we have been to before and therefore know the lay of the land already.

The majority of these countries we have not been to... So getting your info is quite valuable (will bookmark it for future reference).

Not sure about the hiking activities, but the biking & kayaking ones appeal.

As for St-T we never tire of this island, always find something new to do everytime we visit (although I must admit water / beach time is our usual priority) Have made a note to consider adding on a walking tour around the Historic District of CA for next time

Thanks

As for the Summit's Southern Itineraries hard to beat... We also would go back in a heartbeat. In fact we met a lot of people who cruise on her every year, some even spend 2 weeks doing a B2B. Say they never tire of the ship, service or the islands that offer up tons to see & do... And oh ya that FABULOUS weather.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I came across the wine selections for the $20 wine tasting that we attended on the one sea day. I am certain the selections change from cruise to cruise, but this will give you an idea of the offerings. As I mentioned, you could try as many or as few as you wanted. And, if you liked one particularly well, you could just keep going back to that station. Not that I know anyone that did that......

Please pardon any spelling errors.

1. Mollydooker, Verdelho

2. Cakebread Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc

3. Les Brugueres, Garnacha Blanco

4. Louis Jadot, Pouilly-Fuisse

5. Ca'rugate, San Michele, Garganega

6. Essence, Riesling

7. Byron, Pinot Noir

8. Les Terrasses, Grenache

9. Enamore, Malbec blend

10. Chateau-Mont Redon, Chateauneuf du Pape

11. Blacksmith, Cabernet Sauvignon

12. Pian di Nova, il Borro, Tuscany blend.

Have made a note to consider adding on a walking tour around the Historic District of CA for next time

Thanks

Cheers!

We get a lot of beach time on our non-cruise vacations but I certainly do understand the lure of the beach.

We saw a cab giving a tour of the historic section - if you don't want to take the time to walk. One of the highlights for us was the oldest continuously operating Synagogue under the US flag. (We are not Jewish). There is still sand on the floor to silence footsteps during a time of Jewish persecution.

The walk is very hilly. At one point you walk up "99 Steps" (really 103 steps). You can google "99 Steps" for more info.

I came across the wine selections for the $20 wine tasting that we attended on the one sea day. I am certain the selections change from cruise to cruise, but this will give you an idea of the offerings. As I mentioned, you could try as many or as few as you wanted. And, if you liked one particularly well, you could just keep going back to that station. Not that I know anyone that did that......

Please pardon any spelling errors.

1. Mollydooker, Verdelho

2. Cakebread Cellars, Sauvignon Blanc

3. Les Brugueres, Garnacha Blanco

4. Louis Jadot, Pouilly-Fuisse

5. Ca'rugate, San Michele, Garganega

6. Essence, Riesling

7. Byron, Pinot Noir

8. Les Terrasses, Grenache

9. Enamore, Malbec blend

10. Chateau-Mont Redon, Chateauneuf du Pape

11. Blacksmith, Cabernet Sauvignon

12. Pian di Nova, il Borro, Tuscany blend.

Thanks for the mini review, we were on the same cruise and had a great time as well. Service in Blu was exceptional and Onur is terrific.

We did the world wine tasting the previous week and many of the wines were the same, I think the only difference was the Pinot Noir (ours was Foley) and maybe #5. I wish we had kept our list so I am happy to see yours!

This tasting is well worth it and as you say you can go back and re visit any of your favorites. ;)

I wish San Juan was not such a long travel day, as we would love to do this itinerary or the alternate more often.

Thanks so much for your review! We are on the same cruise in January and in the same cabin. Please tell us how you liked the cabin, did you notice any noise from about? Thanks!

We really liked the location, close - but not too close - to stairs and elevator. Also, if you walk to the end of the hallway, aft, and go up one flight of stairs, you are at the Sunset Bar. At that point, you are also in back of the Ocean View Buffet. You can grab a late afternoon snack, order a drink and enjoy sail away and the sunset.

I did hear some noise in the morning but I was on the balcony. My husband was sleeping and he didn't mention it so it couldn't have been too bad. Other than that I didn't notice any noise whatsoever.

There is a considerable overhang over the balcony which we didn't mind at all. It is still possible to get sun on the balcony if that's your goal.

For us, the cabin was perfect. I hope you enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

There are only a few meals that I like in Blu and their short ribs is one of them. I prebooked 2 nights in specialty restaurants and want to make sure that it isn't on short rib night---On the Reflection, Blu was nice enough to serve us the short ribs the night after it was on the menu, by special request- as I didn't want to cancel a reservation. So if anyone has an idea, especially on Bermuda sailing, please let me know! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

No one asked this specifically yet, but very recently I sailed on Summit in one of the 'new' AQ cabins on Deck 11. Absolutely love it. Very quiet, a quick ride down to Blu or the buffet for lunch. We already booked a similar location on Infinity for a future cruise. Only issue at all was due to lack of cover on the balconies, the room got warmer than we liked during the day, although not unbearable.

No one asked this specifically yet, but very recently I sailed on Summit in one of the 'new' AQ cabins on Deck 11. Absolutely love it. Very quiet, a quick ride down to Blu or the buffet for lunch. We already booked a similar location on Infinity for a future cruise. Only issue at all was due to lack of cover on the balconies, the room got warmer than we liked during the day, although not unbearable.

Thank you! We're on deck 9 so I'm hoping to have a similar experience, with a little more shade maybe. :) I'm wondering if I should have moved to deck 11 but the only rooms were aft and I was worried about boat movement.

We are sailing Summit in April and are on Deck 11 - I am a tad worried about the balcony not being shaded. However, we are on a port intensive cruise so think I will keep the curtains pulled while we are out so the room does not get too warm. I think the open balcony will be nice in the evening to see the stars :)

We have not sailed Millennium class ships before so looking forward to being on the Summit.

Thank you for the information you have shared!