Elite Laundry Change?

Av8tor

* Princess should only provide 3 bags per elite cabin on 14 day cruise - a surcharge should be applied for additional bags
I strenuously disagree with this. Because of the laundry perk, I can pack much lighter than I would otherwise. Even on a longer cruise, I pack most things as though I'm on a 7-day cruise and bring three pairs of pants. If the perk was a bag only every 4-5 days and takes 3-4 (or more) days to get back, I'd have to pack 2x as much as I do now or I'd be SOOL.

I think one bag per day is very reasonable. On the Royal last year, my steward told me that some of his passengers were sending out 5-7 bags a day, every day, in a variety of sizes. It's unfortunate but a reality that a few will ruin it for everyone else.

It sounds to me that some people are abusing the system by sending out the laundry from their non-elite member friends in different rooms under their account. During my 14-day cruise including a 3-day pre-cruise and 3-day post-cruise, I only needed to use the laundry service 3 times (one bag each time) during the cruise. I am a light packer traveling with one suitcase and "recycling" my outfits. I can't imagine how someone can have 5-7 bags a day, every day. Even a family with small children won't produce that much dirty laundry in a day!

If the abuse keeps up, then PC will either limit the number of times for free laundry or cut the benefit totally. As you mention Pam, it is sad a few will ruin it for the rest. :mad:

If the abuse keeps up, then PC will either limit the number of times for free laundry or cut the benefit totally. As you mention Pam, it is sad a few will ruin it for the rest. :mad:
What's even sadder is that Princess could control the abuse without offending passengers. I know they have in the past but like so many other issues that escalate into a big deal due to abuse by a few, Princess is wimpy when confronting passengers or reminding them what the limits are. They're like parents who give in to toddler tantrums.

We just became Elite on our last b2b cruise and looked forward to the free laundry benefit. We were told verbally (no written notice, as a matter of fact the laundry list said next day service) that it would take three days.

We sent a bag out on day 4, mainly socks a couple of shirts/tops and a pair of slacks each. Another small bag on day 7, and same again on day 9. We were leaving the ship on day 14. Each time we were reminded by the steward it could take three days, once it was returned in two days.

On day 13 I left a bag with one of the Princess bathrobes inside and a note with a big smiley face inside.

Our steward told us later he saw the bag, knew it was too late and then saw the note. Told us we changed his mood for the whole day!

I would have no problem with Princess limiting the service to one bag per passenger every three or four days. On the ship I change clothes at least twice, sometimes more per day so it is often possible to wear some items more than once. I know I don't wash every thing I wear only once when at home so don't always need to when sailing unless conditions are very hot.

Your suggestions for Elites using the laundromat, hand washing, packing more clothes and "rethinking clean," absolutely negates the benefit that we earned! It is up to Princess to fix the problem they created.

They're not fixing it at all, they're making things even worse with all the short cruises. Pretty soon some ships will be sailing with 50 to 75% eligible for free laundry service. Not that we use it that much but it's being watered down to the point of almost being useless.

I would have no problem with Princess limiting the service to one bag per passenger every three or four days.
Which means that I'd have to bring clothing for a minimum of ten days. Unlike you, I don't re-wear underwear, t-shirts, tops, etc. even at home. If I wear jeans and they get dirty on a tour and wanted to send them out, I might not get them back for a week. Which means I'd have to pack at least two or maybe three pairs. I strongly object to having the laundry perk reduced that much.

What's even sadder is that Princess could control the abuse without offending passengers. I know they have in the past but like so many other issues that escalate into a big deal due to abuse by a few, Princess is wimpy when confronting passengers or reminding them what the limits are. They're like parents who give in to toddler tantrums.

Agree 100% with you Pam. All I know is, that I have spent a TON of time in the Princess laundry rooms in the past AND have spent good money for dry cleaning (before I was Elite). Now that I am retired and taking much longer cruises, I'm supposed to go back to that? All I know is, if I heard people talking about getting all their family's laundry I would probably have to say something (especially if paying single supplement).

Too bad Princess can't figure these things out. I made Elite before DH and never sent any of his laundry under my ticket.

Tammy

The Princess laundry bags are not huge and hold only about two days worth of clothing per bag. I usually send in about two to three bags per week so I do not have to carry a lot of luggage on board. I would certainly not object to some limits on elite laundry usage so all ships can get back to next day service. Three bags per week would be reasonable to me.

Limiting the elite laundry service would certainly put a quick end to some passengers offering various friends and family free laundry service they have not earned.

The "unlike you I don't rewear underwear" etc. remark is offensive to me, rude, and unnecessary to this discussion.

Just like others here I was just giving the opinion on what I personally could live with, if necessary. I don't see anything in my post that tears down anyone else and I would like to be treated with the same respect, thank you.

Enjoy the perk while it is in effect, but don't cry if it disappears! Elite cruisers most likely can swing a few bucks for cleaning!

Not Elite on any line, but laundry is really not that big of an expense in the grand scheme of things. I admit I felt very odd ironing while on vacation the one time I didn't send my tuxedo shirts out for pressing.

If you are Elite on a cruise line, I would think you might have status on an airline and be able to bring extra luggage at no charge.

Edited by HUNKY

My very tall husband's jeans take up half the bag.So wouldn't be fair to limit amount of bags.

I think that Princess is doing everyone else's laundry in the 24 hrs (paying customers).Holding our laundry for 3 days may discourage us Elites to use the service.As others have mentioned , clothes I wear in the evening for a few hours, I wear at least twice on cruise and aren't sent out on a 14 day cruise.

However, tee shirts that we wear in hot weather ports, have to be washed after one use. My husband use to like to send his shirts out toward the end of cruise so he will have them clean for our next trip. Now I wait till we get home

and send them out.Having our laundry for 3 or more days may have more of a chance of being lost.

On a recent cruise I saw our room steward walking down the hall with a huge load of clothes on hangers. I didn't think it was for one cabin but asked anyway and it was. People that turn in laundry for others should have their rights removed. The clue is many sizes and bags at one time. The room stewards do go through the bags and count items before they give them to laundry. I know this because I miscounted and room steward told me he corrected the form.So this can get reported when there is abuse. Then someone higher up on the chain can confront passenger, not the room steward.

Hunky,

You have missed the point. It isn't whether we can afford to pay for the laundry, it the perk we earned by being Elite. This is a loyalty reward. We continue to cruise Princess because of our status. And of course we enjoy our cruises. However, I enjoy other cruise lines too but

when things are equal, I always chose Princess.

Even if I could take more luggage flying, I don't want the burden of dragging excess luggage through airports, hotels etc.We don't fly first class so wouldn't even have this option. We went from very large bags to lightweight 24inch suitcases to be able to handle ourselves.

Edited by san diego sue

Elite cruisers most likely can swing a few bucks for cleaning!

Very true and you will get it back much quicker than 3 days if you do it yourself in the laundry room. It won't be a huge loss if they eliminate this perk entirely. But I sure would miss getting my blue jeans back pressed and on a hanger though! So extravagant!

Edited by Princess Patches

I tend to send out 2 bags every 2-4 days or so. Depends on what I've gone through already, and how many days are left (that includes both our laundry in that 2 bags). I don't really feel that it's excessive, especially considering how small the bags are. Especially on warm weather cruise, I tend to sweat a lot, so my evening clothes are different from my day clothes, and heck, sometimes I come back from a day on shore and change into day clothes because it's too early to change for dinner. Heck, the med cruise I took on the suite, it was a brutally hot summer, and going through 3 sets of clothes during the day wasn't uncommon at all.

Enjoy the perk while it is in effect, but don't cry if it disappears! Elite cruisers most likely can swing a few bucks for cleaning!

Not Elite on any line, but laundry is really not that big of an expense in the grand scheme of things. I admit I felt very odd ironing while on vacation the one time I didn't send my tuxedo shirts out for pressing.

If you are Elite on a cruise line, I would think you might have status on an airline and be able to bring extra luggage at no charge.

I beg to differ with your "logic". I am Elite, but the ship's laundry is not inexpensive. Sending clothes out and having to pay for it is not in my everyday budget. The same goes for "status on an airline". Not everyone has free luggage allowances when they travel (or choose not to).

The basic premise here is that one of the perks for reaching Elite is having laundry. Princess needs to find a good balance between number of bags, number of times, number of days to return. I can see 48 hours but 3 days is really long. Is it truly 72 hours later? Or somewhere between 48-72?

You're making some sweeping assumptions here that have no basis in reality.

Very true and you will get it back much quicker than 3 days if you do it yourself in the laundry room. It won't be a huge loss if they eliminate this perk entirely. But I sure would miss getting my blue jeans back pressed and on a hanger though! So extravagant!

We have earned the gift of free laundry, so I don't feel I should have to spend my time in the laundry room. Been there, done that. It would be a huge loss for most of us to lose this loyalty perk.

I just read on my roll call thread that one person sent out over 30 bags of laundry!

Princess needs to grow a pair and address the abusers instead of punishing those of us who follow the rules.

I agree and for what it's worth these are the types who turn auto tip off anyway so there is nothing to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee-Shirt $2.75, underpants $1.25, socks $1.25. So, $5.25/person per day just for these three basic items.

Socks are a small enough item that you can pack at least 15 pair for a 30 day cruise and wash them in the sink. I lose shock in the machine at home so I don't imagine it would be different sending them out on a cruise ship.

I just read on my roll call thread that one person sent out over 30 bags of laundry!

Princess needs to grow a pair and address the abusers instead of punishing those of us who follow the rules.

Amen Sistah!

Those passengers leaving their laptops connected to the internet 24/7 and sharing their password with others is what let to the elimination of free internet for suite passengers.

Mike:)

Socks are a small enough item that you can pack at least 15 pair for a 30 day cruise and wash them in the sink. I lose shock in the machine at home so I don't imagine it would be different sending them out on a cruise ship.

15 pair of socks ! :eek:

Surely your joking. I take 2 pair & think that's 1 to many. :p

Never trust Princess laundry to wash them. Either they'll shrink them or lose them.