14 year old daughter denied boarding due to fever.

Would trip insurance even help this man? It would have to be a "cancel for any reason" plan wouldn't it? He wasn't denied boarding, he chose not to get on the boat...(no, he had no other choice) but it seems like most insurances would say "sorry 'bout your luck"

This scenario was my worst nightmare when we took 4 adults and 6 children cruising during the h1n1 fiasco (not cause we were scared of the flu but we figured it would be a minor miracle if none of the 6 young children had but a sniffle and we were allowed to board with ask the extra screening-- miracles happen I guess ;) )

Anyway I started thinking about it after this was posted and joking with my husband that I was boarding without him if he got sick for our upcoming cruise when I realized....I guess I'd have to-- I purchased what I think was pretty decent insurance, but I don't think they'd pay because I "didn't feel like going alone" even though that would pretty effectively ruin the vacation...

Anyway, interesting thread.

The policies I have studied (and there are many that I have not) cover cancellation due to the illness of a passenger or his/her immediate family. But one needs to read each company's policies to know if this is the case for the OP.

People keep talking about insurance.

"Hello, is that the insurance company? My daughter has caught a cold and so I would like all the money back for our holiday as we've decided not to go".

A pause accompanied by commotion in the background.

"Sorry for the delay there sir, I laughed so much that I inadvertently spilled my cafe latte all over my lap so had to run over to the drinks fountain and bath my crotch in ice cold water to avoid scrotal scalding. So you want us to refund the trip because your daughter has caught a cold? That probably isn't going to happen. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

This isn't a family wanting to cancel their cruise, it's royal Caribbean choosing to refuse entry on grounds of their own making. When have you ever been refused entry somewhere because you've got a cold?

If Royal Caribbean want to decide who gets on and who doesn't then I'm afraid they need to put their money where their mouth is and refund passengers. They probably have to refund travel costs as well. I would be incredibly surprised if an insurance company would pay out for a common cold.

Henry

She didn't have a cold, she had the flu, which is a lot more serious, especially in a closed environment like a cruise ship where loads of elderly and immune-compromised people are in close contact. If both the OP and his daughter had insurance, then they should be made whole because their vacation was cancelled because of her illness. Had they voluntarily cancelled prior to the cruise, they would have had to provide documentation from their doctor, but if RCI gave them something in writing, then they could use that. And I think that, if the entire family had decided no to go, then I think that the policies that I've read would cover them all.

Of course I had to go check my policy...I was pleasantly surprised to see that most covered incidents apply to both myself AND my travel companion. Now I feel a little better... I'll have to let hubby know I've had a change of heart and wouldn't leave him on the pier ;)

For illnesses it applies to "covered sickness" so not sure of the cold/ a fever applies...

If a Dr. decides that you should not travel and fill out the ins forms, it should be covered. We have had to cancel, but a Dr must state that you are unable to travel because of being sick. For each person the degree of sickness can be different. I let our Dr make the decision.

We have never been sick just before or at the start of a cruise, but DH has caught colds on 3, including the GR one we just got off of today. He was very congested, etc for 4 days, but never had a fever, etc. He just wouldn't shake anyone's hand and washed his frequently. He didn't want to give it to anyone else. We always buy insurance, but we've never had to use it.

OP, I'm glad you told the truth on the form, as the flu can be dangerous for the elderly (and others) onboard. And as for the person who said she had a "cold". A high fever is not a symptom of a cold. A low grade one is, but a high fever indicates something more serious. It also sounds like the OP had a good attitude about it. It was no one's fault.

She didn't have a cold, she had the flu, which is a lot more serious, especially in a closed environment like a cruise ship where loads of elderly and immune-compromised people are in close contact. If both the OP and his daughter had insurance, then they should be made whole because their vacation was cancelled because of her illness. Had they voluntarily cancelled prior to the cruise, they would have had to provide documentation from their doctor, but if RCI gave them something in writing, then they could use that. And I think that, if the entire family had decided no to go, then I think that the policies that I've read would cover them all.

Children often have a fever when infected with a cold as opposed to the flu. Given she was able to travel I would wager a small sum that it was a cold.

Might I suggest that if you are immune-compromised or at risk of dying from the flu then it isn't wise to squeeze yourself into a small metal flying box with hundreds of other citizens, then get into a slightly larger metal box with thousands of other stinky humans for several days. The risk of catching something on a cruise is huge.

You think they would be covered. I think I'm good looking. The difference is if I'm wrong it doesn't cost me 5 or 10 grand. As for turning up and waiting to be refused entry to claim on the insurance, it's a lot of hassle to make the claim and what if the insurance company still refuses to pay out on the grounds they feel Royal Caribbean were wrong to refuse entry?

Where do we stop? Do we ask people if they have ever not washed their hands after using the toilet and refuse entry if they say no? Better still monitor the toilets and if someone fails to wash confine them to barracks and have them off at the next port. They are more likely to risk the health of their fellow cruisers.

Henry :)

It is truly my pleasure to read your post Herman. I am also very sorry that your daughter was ill. This has happen to us (not on a cruise) on a Disney vacation that we were anticipating for a year. I was the one who came down with pneumonia and like you I sent my family on their way while sobbing like a baby. LOL. With all the little kids running around Disney I simply couldn't live with myself if some one had gotten sick due to me. ON top of the fact I felt and looked like crap on a cracker.

I hope RC comes through for you and that you and yoru family enjoy many future cruises.

Would trip insurance even help this man? It would have to be a "cancel for any reason" plan wouldn't it? He wasn't denied boarding, he chose not to get on the boat...(no, he had no other choice) but it seems like most insurances would say "sorry 'bout your luck"

This scenario was my worst nightmare when we took 4 adults and 6 children cruising during the h1n1 fiasco (not cause we were scared of the flu but we figured it would be a minor miracle if none of the 6 young children had but a sniffle and we were allowed to board with ask the extra screening-- miracles happen I guess ;) )

Anyway I started thinking about it after this was posted and joking with my husband that I was boarding without him if he got sick for our upcoming cruise when I realized....I guess I'd have to-- I purchased what I think was pretty decent insurance, but I don't think they'd pay because I "didn't feel like going alone" even though that would pretty effectively ruin the vacation...

Anyway, interesting thread.

Not sure that's correct (I work for an insurance company here in the states). If a minor child gets sick, we would most definitely expect that a parent or guardian would assist the child. In fact, they would probably insist as most medical facilities request a parent or guardian to get the child help and we definitely don't want to be put in a position where some one says they didn't get the kid help because the insurance only applied to the minor child. Oy Vey, talk about bad publicity.

I am sorry your daughter was ill and you missed your vacation. The flu may be more serious than a cold, but you are exposed at your local grocer, church, restaurant, etc. To all those potential cruisers, please take the time to get a flu shot which helps protect those who are elderly or immune compromised.

I am sure there are many who come down with illness during the cruise because they boarded during their incubation period. I work around sick people in a hospital all the time. Wash your hands and hope for the best.

Edited by KKMurphy2

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my original post. I emailed Royal Caribbean on the 24th October explaining my situation, and received an automated reply saying that I should hear back from them within 28 days. I have had no further contact from them since.

I have filed an insurance claim but I'm not certain that my insurers will accept my argument that I was forced to curtail my holiday as a result of RC refusing to allow my daughter (a minor) to board the ship in, what was to us, a foreign country.

I feel that RC should be encouraging its customers to be totally honest when completing its health declarations (especially in these troubled times of Ebola), and if it becomes generally known that parents risk losing their holiday without any form of compensation, this could be seriously compromised.

I shall keep you posted with any further developments.

To me - this is what travel insurance is for. RCL is a business - not a charity. If you are sick, it's your issue - not the cruise line's. Look, I've gotten sick (sinus infection) while on a cruise and spent two days in bed (no fever, just head in a vice). I didn't ask the cruise line for a refund for those days. If you choose not to purchase insurance and you're sick and not allowed to board, that's a risk you took and lost. This may sound harsh but RCL is in the business of making profits, not refunding money to ill paxs.

To me - this is what travel insurance is for. RCL is a business - not a charity. If you are sick, it's your issue - not the cruise line's. Look, I've gotten sick (sinus infection) while on a cruise and spent two days in bed (no fever, just head in a vice). I didn't ask the cruise line for a refund for those days. If you choose not to purchase insurance and you're sick and not allowed to board, that's a risk you took and lost. This may sound harsh but RCL is in the business of making profits, not refunding money to ill paxs.

Yes, but a business doesn't exist in isolation. It gets money from its customers. And especially if RCL - which is in the business of experiences - treats its customers badly and unfairly then it will lose that custom - and its business.

The passenger did not decide to request a refund themselves. The issue is that RCL turned them away at RCL's decision, when there were other options for the passenger to still sail.

RCL didn't deliver what was agreed, and potentially are at fault for breaking that sale without just cause. As such, there is justification for them reimbursing the customer.

Yes, but a business doesn't exist in isolation. It gets money from its customers. And especially if RCL - which is in the business of experiences - treats its customers badly and unfairly then it will lose that custom - and its business.

The passenger did not decide to request a refund themselves. The issue is that RCL turned them away at RCL's decision, when there were other options for the passenger to still sail.

RCL didn't deliver what was agreed, and potentially are at fault for breaking that sale without just cause. As such, there is justification for them reimbursing the customer.

1. RCI are treating the customer fairly in this instance. They make the rules known when booking, and they have a qualified medical professional make these decisions. You say badly and unfairly. Please explain how treatment was bad or unfair? If an hourly pier worker made the decision, yes, I'd say unfair. But a medical professional, whose allegiance should be to health and safety, made the decision based on the facts at the time.

2. RCI did not deny boarding to the father. They denied boarding to the daughter. As mentioned numerous times, this is an event that comprehensive travel insurance should cover with a parent having to care for a dependent child.

3. Please tell me what RCI agreed to that they did not deliver? RCI, any cruiseline really, basically agrees to have a ship at X spot on Y date, and if you pay Z dollars there is a room held in reserve for you. How about the thousands of other guests to which RCI agreed, to the best of their ability, to provide a safe and sanitary environment and not embark those it knows to have a contagious illness?

4. Whether someone misses a cruise, can not embark, is turned away; it is never RCI that remunerates the person. That, again, is what third party insurance is for. It is quite simple; in the event of unforeseen circumstances and you can not travel, insurance reimburses you. No insurance, no reimbursement. That is the risk one takes in either opting for insurance or not. The OP has insurance, and so should be made whole by the insurance company, not RCI.

I'm far from a blind faith RCI cheerleader. I've got plenty of opinions, some negative, about the way they handle things. But in this instance all I really see is RCI applying their well known policy and doing so in an even handed manner. If it is something else I'm willing to hear it out.

I trust that OP's insurance will sort this out. I hope OP gets reimbursement of their hard earned money from their insurance provider. RCI does not owe them however.

You say badly and unfairly. Please explain how treatment was bad or unfair? If an hourly pier worker made the decision, yes, I'd say unfair. But a medical professional, whose allegiance should be to health and safety, made the decision based on the facts at the time.

"should be"

Yes, that may be the case. However, "Should" does not mean "always is and has." Otherwise your belief is that everything always is done perfectly correctly, which is well known does not happen.

Especially in these cruise boarding cases, where I've heard of previous experiences where the examiner does things quickly, sometimes with high volume, and limited genuine inspection. These are contractors, not employees, and it is well known that commitment and motivation can be variable.

As for the rest about the general approach, my position is as stated in my post.

1. RCI are treating the customer fairly in this instance. They make the rules known when booking, and they have a qualified medical professional make these decisions. You say badly and unfairly. Please explain how treatment was bad or unfair? If an hourly pier worker made the decision, yes, I'd say unfair. But a medical professional, whose allegiance should be to health and safety, made the decision based on the facts at the time.

2. RCI did not deny boarding to the father. They denied boarding to the daughter. As mentioned numerous times, this is an event that comprehensive travel insurance should cover with a parent having to care for a dependent child.

3. Please tell me what RCI agreed to that they did not deliver? RCI, any cruiseline really, basically agrees to have a ship at X spot on Y date, and if you pay Z dollars there is a room held in reserve for you. How about the thousands of other guests to which RCI agreed, to the best of their ability, to provide a safe and sanitary environment and not embark those it knows to have a contagious illness?

4. Whether someone misses a cruise, can not embark, is turned away; it is never RCI that remunerates the person. That, again, is what third party insurance is for. It is quite simple; in the event of unforeseen circumstances and you can not travel, insurance reimburses you. No insurance, no reimbursement. That is the risk one takes in either opting for insurance or not. The OP has insurance, and so should be made whole by the insurance company, not RCI.

I'm far from a blind faith RCI cheerleader. I've got plenty of opinions, some negative, about the way they handle things. But in this instance all I really see is RCI applying their well known policy and doing so in an even handed manner. If it is something else I'm willing to hear it out.

I trust that OP's insurance will sort this out. I hope OP gets reimbursement of their hard earned money from their insurance provider. RCI does not owe them however.

Travel Insurance states a claim can be made if reimbursement/compensation cannot be gained through original carrier.

How does OP know if a refund/compensation from RCI is in order or not if the question is not asked of the carrier first:confused:

Your only line of action it seems would be your travel insurance and if claim was denied you would suck it up with no further action:confused:

Children often have a fever when infected with a cold as opposed to the flu. Given she was able to travel I would wager a small sum that it was a cold.

Might I suggest that if you are immune-compromised or at risk of dying from the flu then it isn't wise to squeeze yourself into a small metal flying box with hundreds of other citizens, then get into a slightly larger metal box with thousands of other stinky humans for several days. The risk of catching something on a cruise is huge.

You think they would be covered. I think I'm good looking. The difference is if I'm wrong it doesn't cost me 5 or 10 grand. As for turning up and waiting to be refused entry to claim on the insurance, it's a lot of hassle to make the claim and what if the insurance company still refuses to pay out on the grounds they feel Royal Caribbean were wrong to refuse entry?

Where do we stop? Do we ask people if they have ever not washed their hands after using the toilet and refuse entry if they say no? Better still monitor the toilets and if someone fails to wash confine them to barracks and have them off at the next port. They are more likely to risk the health of their fellow cruisers.

Henry :)

Post a picture and I'll tell you what I think.:D

I read from the original post that the child's nurse "thought" she had the flu, not just a cold. There are only 3 questions on the form (although Princess have now added Ebola-related questions to theirs) and OP's family answered "yes" to one of them.

I hope OP will come back and let us know which of us is correct.

Travel Insurance states a claim can be made if reimbursement/compensation cannot be gained through original carrier.

How does OP know if a refund/compensation from RCI is in order or not if the question is not asked of the carrier first:confused:

Your only line of action it seems would be your travel insurance and if claim was denied you would suck it up with no further action:confused:

Sure, let them ask RCI and when RCI says no, they go to their insurance company. You've got it figured exactly correct.

Post a picture and I'll tell you what I think.:D

I read from the original post that the child's nurse "thought" she had the flu, not just a cold. There are only 3 questions on the form (although Princess have now added Ebola-related questions to theirs) and OP's family answered "yes" to one of them.

I hope OP will come back and let us know which of us is correct.

RCI has also updated the form asking about travel to Ebola countries. This is something I think ALL the cruiselines now do. We just cruised on 1 Nov and the question was there and had been talked about on here for a couple of weeks before we cruised.

This is pure paranoia this statement...Give me a break really?Wow

Most children wouldnt see the light of day growing up with this statement.Kids are sick all the time untill their immunity builds being exposed to these viruses.

It is? Tell that to my job. Working in the health care industry if we have a fever we are not to come to work until we are fever free for 24 hours. Typically when you have a fever your body is producing an immune response to either a bacterial or viral infection, both of which are contagious

Royal Caribbean have replied to my email, they had stated at the time of the cruise that my daughter would receive a "cruise credit" as she had been denied boarding due to medical reasons. I was very pleased to see that RC have extended this credit to include me, as the adult responsible for a 14 year old, and therefore obliged to curtail my trip to accompany her. I'm not sure whether we will ever get around to using the credit, but I think this is a fair outcome, and it sends a positive message about completing health declarations in a truthful manner.

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean have replied to my email, they had stated at the time of the cruise that my daughter would receive a "cruise credit" as she had been denied boarding due to medical reasons. I was very pleased to see that RC have extended this credit to include me, as the adult responsible for a 14 year old, and therefore obliged to curtail my trip to accompany her. I'm not sure whether we will ever get around to using the credit, but I think this is a fair outcome, and it sends a positive message about completing health declarations in a truthful manner.

I am glad to see that you feel that the resultant outcome from Royal is fair. Why are you saying you are "not sure whether we will ever get around to using the credit"? It is money you paid for a cruise that you were unable to take, and is the outcome you sought.

I am glad to see that you feel that the resultant outcome from Royal is fair. Why are you saying you are "not sure whether we will ever get around to using the credit"? It is money you paid for a cruise that you were unable to take, and is the outcome you sought.

Pretty sure the credit has to be used within one year. Maybe the OP cant take off from work. Could be other reasons as well.

Even with a cruise credit there are other costs involved. Money could also be a factor. I don't see where that is anyone's business :)

Thanks for your comments, when I said that I wasn't sure whether we would get around to using the cruise credits, I was basing that on that last experience. As I think I mentioned before, my main concern at the time was that my wife's medical condition could have given cause to cancel, bearing in mind that the decision to book a cruise is usually taken some time ahead of travel, in the event she was fine but my daughter's fever came out of left field. I shall leave it to my wife to decide whether she feels that we need another "adventure", and whether she spots a cruise that offers something that is appealing to us.

As a retired airline employee I still have access to (discounted) flights which have the drawback of travelling on a standby basis (if the plane is full, we don't go), but the benefit is, if we don't travel, the airline gives me my money back! :)

With two cruise credits in your pocket, and free standby airfare, you're actually looking at a free cruise for all four of you. Just sit back and wait until the next "Third & Fourth" or "Kids Sail Free" sale.

Who says honesty is not rewarded? And, on that note, doing the right thing, because it's the right thing, is a rewaqrd in itself. Plus, look at the valuable "life lesson" for your children (and all the readers here at CC). :)