Sailing Saturday.....have any of you......

Lois R

I understand it is an effort to ease crowding, but at the same time does anyone else feel like I do in that it is not fair to tell some people to board early and others as late as 2:30 or later? (unless there is some specific complication on that sailing) As it is, the 'seven' day cruise is somewhere around 6 3/4 actual days. If you don't get there until 2:30, you may not actually be in your room and ready to enjoy the cruise until 3:30. That shortens the '7 day' concept even further. In addition, earlier boarders have advantages over later ones in booking dates for specialty restaurant packages, and spa treatments (if not pre-booked). If you don't like your MDR table location, if you board late you are last in line to speak to the Maitre d'. If you have a liquor package you are missing several more hours of value for your money (and even if it is 'included' as a perk, believe me you are paying for it within your fare). When someone makes the choice to board later, or has a later flight, then that is their decision. But I don't like this new paradigm as it does not strike me as fair for the reasons stated.

Edited by phoenix_dream

I understand it is an effort to ease crowding, but at the same time does anyone else feel like I do in that it is not fair to tell some people to board early and others as late as 2:30 or later? (unless there is some specific complication on that sailing) As it is, the 'seven' day cruise is somewhere around 6 3/4 actual days. If you don't get there until 2:30, you may not actually be in your room and ready to enjoy the cruise until 3:30. That shortens the '7 day' concept even further. In addition, earlier boarders have advantages over later ones in booking dates for specialty restaurant packages, and spa treatments (if not pre-booked). If you don't like your MDR table location, if you board late you are last in line to speak to the Maitre d'. If you have a liquor package you are missing several more hours of value for your money (and even if it is 'included' as a perk, believe me you are paying for it within your fare). When someone makes the choice to board later, or has a later flight, then that is their decision. But I don't like this new paradigm as it does not strike me as fair for the reasons stated.

Life is not fair.

It would be physically impossible to board everyone if everyone showed up at 11:00. There would be traffic snarls, horrendous lines, short tempers, yada, yada. This represents Celebrity's attempt to smooth out the boarding process. There are people who will not follow the suggested boarding times. Is that fair? See above.

I've been cruising way too many years to even entertain the thought of everyone showing up at 11am to board.

Although I have to admit, it would be rather interesting if that happened.

Lots of people fly in the day of the cruise. We've done it.

Honestly, it's a ridiculous concept to board people by deck location. If they are going to implement this type of boarding concept, they should use the concept of date of booking. You book 15 months before the cruise you get to be in the 11am line. You book 15 days before the cruise, you get to be in the 3pm line.

At least you will know where you stand. Rather than a text message/email/voice mail two days before the cruise leaves.

I dont' think people who planned early morning flights on Saturday have the opportunity to change that now.

I really don't understand the argument about flight times here.

We're talking about difference between 11 am boarding and 3 pm boarding....

We're also talking about wasted time standing in lines versus moving rather swiftly through the process.

How many extra flights are there that would stagger in from all these locations and still allow one to board in time to leave...? I":m not aware of too many that have flights arriving every 30 minutes from multiple cities from 11 am to 3 pm into either MIA or FLL

From Cleveland, on United, I get 1 flight choice in the morning and 1 at night. The night one arrives too late. Most airlines operate this way to florida from here, and I imagine from many other locations, probably even the biggest of airports.

What's the real loss here anyway, an extra trip to the buffet?

I've been cruising way too many years to even entertain the thought of everyone showing up at 11am to board.

Although I have to admit, it would be rather interesting if that happened.

Lots of people fly in the day of the cruise. We've done it.

Honestly, it's a ridiculous concept to board people by deck location. If they are going to implement this type of boarding concept, they should use the concept of date of booking. You book 15 months before the cruise you get to be in the 11am line. You book 15 days before the cruise, you get to be in the 3pm line.

At least you will know where you stand. Rather than a text message/email/voice mail two days before the cruise leaves.

I dont' think people who planned early morning flights on Saturday have the opportunity to change that now.

No, we don't and it is crazy to expect people to just hang around for 5-6 hours with luggage etc. I printed my express pass and it says board anytime between 11:30-3. I'm going into the fray and taking my chances. Having travel plans that can not be changed and that were booked through Celebrity, they left me no choice.

We're also talking about wasted time standing in lines versus moving rather swiftly through the process.

How many extra flights are there that would stagger in from all these locations and still allow one to board in time to leave...? I":m not aware of too many that have flights arriving every 30 minutes from multiple cities from 11 am to 3 pm into either MIA or FLL

From Cleveland, on United, I get 1 flight choice in the morning and 1 at night. The night one arrives too late. Most airlines operate this way to florida from here, and I imagine from many other locations, probably even the biggest of airports.

Hi. My flight booked through Choice Air, comes in at 8:30am tomorrow.

I am honestly and respectfully asking you if you have any suggestions for what we should do until 2 or 3pm with luggage etc in Miami. If there's somewhere to go, I'll go so please let me know if you know the area.

I am honestly and respectfully asking you if you have any suggestions for what we should do until 2 or 3pm with luggage etc in Miami. If there's somewhere to go, I'll go so please let me know if you know the area.

Take taxi to pier, drop luggage (you can drop luggage at any time, no need to immediately board after dropping it), do some shipping, grab lunch etc. at the Bayside market place that is walkable for some, from the cruise terminal, or take taxi back there. Also the neighborhood outside bayside has lots of "local flavor" type restaurants to try out.

Could also take one of the busses (or taxi) to south beach and spend the afternoon there walking lincoln road, Collins Avenue, Ocean drive and the beach etc.

Edited by cle-guy

......receieved an email from Celebrity with an entire new boarding process

by decks?:rolleyes:.......a bunch of us on our roll call all got emails......

When did X start this process?:eek:...........it says what time for certain

decks and then it says "Our Suite, Zenith, Aqua, and Elite Plus Guests

can board anytime between 12-3"........just curious if any other recent

cruisers have received this email too?

Anyway, going on REFLECTION:D

Hi Lois:

Have a FABULOUS cruise!! I wish I were going with you!!

I haven't been on the Reflection yet, so I'm looking forward to hearing all about it when you return. If you know anyone staying in AquaClass, could you please ask them about the service in Blu? They have more folks dining in Blu on Reflection, and reviews have been mixed, so I'm interested to hear any feedback.

Regarding your question...I had this staggered boarding on a cruise about a year ago...I can't remember which one.:p Celebrity had done the same thing on a cruise a few weeks previously, for a port where there was some kind of construction near the ship, and they wanted to spread the traffic out a bit. Celebrity continued to try the staggered boarding for a few more cruises...I don't think my cruise had any traffic issues in the vicinity, or any particular reason to control boarding times. I also remember that quite a few people on my Roll Call did not plan to follow the suggestions for staggered boarding times. I was in Aquaclass, so I think my suggested boarding time was at a time that I would normally arrive anyhow.

Have the best cruise ever, and I wish you perfect weather.

Fair winds, and following seas!!

Eileen.

Lois & hcat (and your other cruise mates), have a wonderful cruise on the Reflection, our favorite ship!

Kathy

Hi Kathy

Thanks for the good wishes.

I am sitting in our hotel room with a gorgeous view of the port and the few ships that are there today...

Weather is perfect, we had a great day at Bayside Marketplace and are looking forward to Sail Away on Reflection...

Hope any crowding or Boarding issues will quickly fade away once we leave port tom...!

(Also looking forward to sailing w/you in Jan on Connie)

Edited by hcat

As Curt said...best bet is Bayside Marketplace....it is a close taxi ride to the port from there and many will be avakable, We ate lunch at the Latin cafe...indoors with A/c...google Bayside for many ither choices... Many nice stores, and a park area..you can see the port area...

Luggage may be a thorny issue,, Can you drop it at the port? Will choice air take your luggage to the ship?...see what X can do for you...people who buy transfers to the ship have their luggage taken for them?????

see you on board.. I believe u are on Ref... W Carb...

good luck

Take taxi to pier, drop luggage (you can drop luggage at any time, no need to immediately board after dropping it), do some shipping, grab lunch etc. at the Bayside market place that is walkable for some, from the cruise terminal, or take taxi back there. Also the neighborhood outside bayside has lots of "local flavor" type restaurants to try out.

Could also take one of the busses (or taxi) to south beach and spend the afternoon there walking lincoln road, Collins Avenue, Ocean drive and the beach etc.

Ok. Great! That is much better than having to hang around. I wasn't sure they'd take the luggage until I was boarding. Thanks for the suggestions!

As Curt said...best bet is Bayside Marketplace....it is a close taxi ride to the port from there and many will be avakable, We ate lunch at the Latin cafe...indoors with A/c...google Bayside for many ither choices... Many nice stores, and a park area..you can see the port area...

Luggage may be a thorny issue,, Can you drop it at the port? Will choice air take your luggage to the ship?...see what X can do for you...people who buy transfers to the ship have their luggage taken for them?????

see you on board.. I believe u are on Ref... W Carb...

good luck

Hey, if they'll take it, I'll drop it as far as the luggage is concerned. I have no issue there. If it is a zoo, I'm definitely going to take the Bayside suggestion and check it out. Thanks!

We did the staggered boarding in May on the Summitt....It worked out beautifully! The Celebrity reps understood that some people would arrive outside their slotted time due to travel and other issues. But honestly if a third arrived at the scheduled time it eases up the lines and confusion. Personally I have a horrible time with the lines....haven't people ever heard of personal space! So, for me it was a great start to our trip.

This sounds like a whole lot of nothing to me....X is merely "attempting" to spread out the boarding process but they know a certain number of folks always show up at 11 and will always be allowed to board whenever boarding begins.....I don't see ANYTHING changing except for "newbies" who don't know any better will show up at their assigned times and that will help some which is all X is attempting to do IMO.

We like to start our cruise as soon as possible and have always arrived just before boarding began. Never had a problem with long lines or crowds, and usually are walking up the gangway in less than 1/2 hour. We want to get on and have lunch on board sooner than later so that we either don't have to pay for lunch on shore, or eat too late as to interfere with dinner. Plus, we are excited and enjoy wandering around the ship getting to know where everything is at.

I don't like this stepped boarding process. The only time we ever had to deal with it was our one and only Disney cruise. Because people were required to wait until their boarding number was called, that boarding process was the most congested, with the longest time waiting, and the most chaotic boarding experience we've ever endured.

Edited by boogs

Life is not fair.

It would be physically impossible to board everyone if everyone showed up at 11:00. There would be traffic snarls, horrendous lines, short tempers, yada, yada. This represents Celebrity's attempt to smooth out the boarding process. There are people who will not follow the suggested boarding times. Is that fair? See above.

But what if everyone shows up at 2:30?

I intend to be there at 11am as usual & not at 230 as suggested by celebrity I'm an elite member & I always boarded after elite plus members so why should I lose that perk? Not going to happen

The staggered boarding usually provides for captains club members to board at any time at their leisure. Same with Suites and Concierge, and maybe Aqua.