Yikes!!

Ginnyjen

Trying Princess for the first time...........have cruised exclusively with HAL (****), but this cruise leaves out of SF to Mexico for 10 days, which is our home, so we're giving it a shot. Big ship, 2600, which we are not use to, but will be fun to try something new...........which us luck!!

Trying Princess for the first time...........have cruised exclusively with HAL (****), but this cruise leaves out of SF to Mexico for 10 days, which is our home, so we're giving it a shot. Big ship, 2600, which we are not use to, but will be fun to try something new...........which us luck!!

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Wow! sounds like a fun cruise! There was another thread earlier today where another person was considering a Princess cruise and other HAL loyalists commented positively about the line!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2123758

When are you sailing? let us know how it goes!!!! :D

Remember there are no bad days cruising! :p

We tried Princess on a short cruise but really liked it. I'm not sure if it depends on which ship but we really liked the variety of entertainment; found the food par with HAL; (actually found more open venues for food than HAL); room was smaller than what we are used to on HAL; staff was very good but not quite at par as HAL.

We would not hesitate to go Princess again and all in all we really enjoyed our short cruise. Hope you have a great time! Yes, it's fun to try something new:)

You'll enjoy your cruise on Princess.

The ships don't seem as clean as HAL Also, there are more announcements to play Bingo, go to the art auction, ect. The beds are better on HAL

I like the layout for the pools on Princess Grand class ships. The adult pool is forward by the gym. Then the nice size Lido pool. Followed by the covered pool. Then aft there is an assortment of smaller pools for different age groups. There are whirlpools at each location.

Have a great time! A cruise is what you make it. So they don't have Wang Wangs. Life goes on! I think Princess is similar to HAL.

We went sans grandchildren on Disney. Nice cruise, great food etc. Did get sick of crowded areas where princeses were signing though! Back to HAL!

Have a great time! A cruise is what you make it. So they don't have Wang Wangs. Life goes on! I think Princess is similar to HAL.

We went sans grandchildren on Disney. Nice cruise, great food etc. Did get sick of crowded areas where princeses were signing though! Back to HAL!

Did you see the thread a bit earlier this week? Apparently hal isn't serving wang wants anymore because people were getting way too drunk on 2 oz of booze:rolleyes:.

Sabatini's Italian restaurant is 'similar' like Canaletto. The similarity between the two restaurant ends right with the name! Sabatini's is a dedicated restaurant, the menu is excellent and the food is very good. (This was Caribbean Princess.)

There are many things that are less than what we know with HAL. Cabins are smaller etc.... room service is a flop compared with HAL. Crowds. Noise. But...I was very happy with Princess. It is a completely product.

If you want the same as HAL.... then stay with HAL. It you want to try a different style and a bit different ship... go Princess. Same goes with others cruise lines.... Carnival, Costa, RCI, NCL Cunard, Celebrity etc etc. Try any of them.. and have fun.

Stephen

I just sailed on the Star Princess out of San Francisco several weeks ago; it was my second Princess cruise but first since 2002. (I also booked my cruise very last minute.)

Your sailing should depart from the new cruise terminal in San Francisco at Pier 27 (a huge improvement over the old): here's pictures:http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/10/27/trying-out-san-franciscos-new-cruise-ship-terminal-at-pier-27/

It's terrific to sail out of San Francisco past Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Here's some views from around the ship http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/10/22/views-from-the-star-princess-cruise-ship/

Compared to Holland America, I enjoyed some of the more diverse food choices on Princess: the Pub Lunch, Sabatini's Italian ($25 per person)

and for a night of casual fun at the Crab Shack (only offered on select nights/$20 per person.) Photos of Crab Shack: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/11/06/dining-at-the-crab-shack-on-the-star-princess-cruise-ship/

Photos of menu favorites at Sabatini's: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/11/04/a-look-at-the-sabatinis-menu-on-princess-cruises-star-princess/

The pizza by the slice is always good, the international cafe offers pastries, salads and sandwiches 24 hours a day, and the wine bar serves sushi and/or tapas complimentary if you buy a glass of wine.

Food in the dinning room is also good, and if you like chocolate, don't miss any of the new Chocolate Journey's desserts.

Not so good compared to Holland America, my mattress was hard as a rock (many guest requested egg crate 'toppers') and loud banging noise from the ceiling of my interior stateroom on Deck 11 consistently woke me up around 3:15 am onward.

Service is okay but not as good as Holland America.

The ship was filled with many Princess Elite guests, and they love it, and are fun-loving well-traveled folks.

It will be interesting to hear your report; I hope you share it here and have a fantastic cruise.

I'll add to the chorus of those who think you'll like Princess. I've sailed a number of Princess ships and found them quite enjoyable. As has been pointed out above, dining on Princess is more varied and you don't want to miss the International Cafe' for an early morning or late night snack or cup of good coffee. Being open 24 hours here is very nice. If you buy a coffee card you can get all the brewed coffee by the cup you want; the card is punched only when you order a 'specialty coffee' and you'll have 15 punches that can be used across the fleet. Sabattini's is more expensive than Canaletto but well worth the cost.

The beds are rock solid and I find them very uncomfortable, sometimes even with an egg crate topper, but do ask for one ASAP once on board if you don't like concrete for a bed. The interior cabins are smaller than HALs but laid out better; be prepared for small bathrooms. You will have a small fridge in all rooms too.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

We are regular Princess cruisers who were on HAL in May.

I think you will find more similarities than differences.

I think the quality of food is about the same--but varies by ship/itinerary.

More nightlife on Princess than the HAL cruise we were on--but it was a very port intensive cruise and I think most, like us, weren't going to stay up late drinking and dancing to face 10 hours in port the next day.

HAL does have better mattresses!

Princess does have the International Cafe and a better tea.

Edited by PatriciaF

Sabatini's Italian restaurant is 'similar' like Canaletto. The similarity between the two restaurant ends right with the name! Sabatini's is a dedicated restaurant, the menu is excellent and the food is very good. (This was Caribbean Princess.)

Stephen

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. I think Sabatini's is way better. That said, it's more money.

@ cruz_chic

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this. I think Sabatini's is way better. That said, it's more money.

I think that was Stephen's point when he said "similarity ends with the names", i.e. the names are both Italian? Then he said Sabatini was very good (implying that Canaletto is so-so, by my reading). So you are actually *agreeing* with him.

Which is good to know, as I too am thinking about a particular Princess cruise in the future, for the itinerary.

@ cruz_chic

I think that was Stephen's point when he said "similarity ends with the names", i.e. the names are both Italian? Then he said Sabatini was very good (implying that Canaletto is so-so, by my reading). So you are actually *agreeing* with him.

Which is good to know, as I too am thinking about a particular Princess cruise in the future, for the itinerary.

You are correct. I need to stop speed reading and I have to apologize to Topsham as well. Thx for pointing that out.

I really didn't mean to offend anyone, its just that we have cruised exclusively with HAL for many years (just short of 5 stars) and I was a little apprehensive to try another line, but I thought it would be a fun experience and interesting to hear if other "HAL Devotees" had done the same. Sorry if I upset anyone.