Is Cats REALLY 2 1/2 hours long ???

Shippy

I know I'm in the minority, but my husband and I both thought it was fantastic. We've sen it before so we knew what to expect -- the cast does a wonderful job. That said, if Andrew Lloyd Weber won't let RCI tweak the show to be more cruise ship friendly, I'm afraid it will never be a success.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also thought it was fantastic. We saw in once before and then on Oasis. We would love to sit through it again on board.

Edited by chloe kitty

I agree, Drew Devine was not divine at all on this westbound TA. In his morning show he regularly made fun of the guests who wrote him about the glitches on this cruise. The cruise compass was a complete disaster on some days and the disembarkation information for Fort Lauderdale said: Upon our arrival in Rotterdam... :confused:

And about cats: Not for me. I fell asleep once I watched it on Broadway, I don't want to try it again :o.

We noticed all those mistake too. It seems like they were too lazy to proof read what was written.

You can't really proof your own work. There should be a second, fresh set of eyes to proofread before it goes to print.

Just saw somewhere where Cats on the Oasis is 2 1/2 hours long. That would be tough to sit through. I was able to persuade my husband to see HairSpray last year on Oasis & Chicago on Allure but do not remember them being that long.

Anyone see that show yet ? Worth staying the whole time ??

All of RCL's major production shows are excellent, and worth it!:)

Being I live so close to NYC I am lucky enough to go see a play whenever I'd like to. It's just like anything else-is it something I might like-if so, you go. Lucky thing about the cruise ship play is, you did not have to buy tickets-[which in NYC are not cheap] and yes, if you don't like it, walk out at intermission. Easy fix!! Don't have to deal with the ride home!!:D

I'm thinking if you are the type of person that can not sit too long, any play is not for you.:(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is so disheartening! I have seen many plays on Broadway, mostly musicals, and have loved most of them. The only reason why we booked Oasis instead of Allure is to see Cats because I never saw it on Broadway. I did see Chicago, and it was the worst I have seen. I hope to read many more good reviews before my cruise!

I had never seen the musical before and I really enjoyed it. Even so at the intermission, I got a little caffeine to make it through.

When I got home, I went and got the 1998 video production of Cats for comparison. It confirmed what I thought in that the cast onboard did a really great job.

A lot of people don't know this (I did not), but it's based on Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot (look at the license plate of the automobile on the stage set).

The Wikipedia entry has a really good summary and filled in a lot of pieces for me.

I see it was resurrected.

Anyway, all the answers were very interesting. We did go to the show & I am very sorry to say we barely made it to intermission.

The sad part for me was that the singers & dancers were great. They occasionally went up & down the aisles. So many people left at intermission, I did not want them to think it was a reflection on them.

We are sailing on the Oasis again in August. I am just going to see the second half this time. I hear that is when most of the songs that are more familiar are. You can get a great seat because so many people leave.

I do realize a lot of people say they like it but the reality is that it is way to long and a big percentage of the audience leaves in the middle. I am sure Royal has so much money invested that it will be the show there for a long time.

We were on the November 29th sailing and it was true quite a lot of people left during intermission, that being said we thoroughly enjoyed the entire 2 1/2 hour show. I'm glad we didn't take those negative reviews to heart. I guess it depends on whether you like that type of show or not. We thought it was superbly done.

• 1 month later...

Living on Long Island, I have been to many Broadway plays. Although musicals are definitely my favorite, I never managed to get to see CATS! The sole reason why my friend and I booked the Oasis over the Allure was to see that show! Reading all of these negative reviews (although we both tend to have very different opinions from the critics of most movies and shows) has been very disheartening. So I have ordered the book by T.S Elliott and the dvd version of the original Broadway play. I am sure that by familiarizing ourselves with the lesser known of the songs and the show itself, we will both love seeing it in person on the Oasis! At least I hope so! It couldn't possibly be as bad as these people are saying, knowing its award and longevity history!

Living on Long Island, I have been to many Broadway plays. Although musicals are definitely my favorite, I never managed to get to see CATS! The sole reason why my friend and I booked the Oasis over the Allure was to see that show! Reading all of these negative reviews (although we both tend to have very different opinions from the critics of most movies and shows) has been very disheartening. So I have ordered the book by T.S Elliott and the dvd version of the original Broadway play. I am sure that by familiarizing ourselves with the lesser known of the songs and the show itself, we will both love seeing it in person on the Oasis! At least I hope so! It couldn't possibly be as bad as these people are saying, knowing its award and longevity history!

We saw the production while on the Oasis in December and found it to be great. It was 2 1/2 hours, including the intermission. Half the theatre did leave at intermission,but I am glad we stayed to see the entire production. Will go to see it again for sure. :)

We went to the production of CATS on the Oasis in February. We barely made it to intermission! All I can say is, to each their own! Some people loved it! But I have to say, more hated it. Too long and didn't make sense! Certaintly not for a cruise ship!! More than half the audience left at intermission, and we over heard several people joking about the production later that evening. When I go to a show--especially on a cruise--I want to be entertained--not put to sleep! And I definetly don't want to waste 2 1/2 hours of my cruise on something that doesn't entertain me! Royal made a BIG mistake pulling Hairspray for CATS!!

Good show or not my hyperactivity will never get through 2.5 hours of sitting in one place. Besides that I am not really sure I want to devote that much time to sitting in a theater while on a ship with so much more to do and such limited time to do it all.

Good show or not my hyperactivity will never get through 2.5 hours of sitting in one place. Besides that I am not really sure I want to devote that much time to sitting in a theater while on a ship with so much more to do and such limited time to do it all.

Well said! I do NOT want to waste valuable cruise time sitting that long in a theatre! What was Royal thinking????

Just saw somewhere where Cats on the Oasis is 2 1/2 hours long. That would be tough to sit through. I was able to persuade my husband to see HairSpray last year on Oasis & Chicago on Allure but do not remember them being that long.

Anyone see that show yet ? Worth staying the whole time ??

It is 2 hours plus long, there is an intermission, and its a great show!:D

We saw the production while on the Oasis in December and found it to be great. It was 2 1/2 hours, including the intermission. Half the theatre did leave at intermission,but I am glad we stayed to see the entire production. Will go to see it again for sure. :)

Agree totally with your comments!:)

It is a very long show for a cruise ship. Also, not really the type of entertainment I look for on a cruise. It always seems like an odd choice to me. Seems people either love it or hate it. We walked out of it on Broadway and there are reports lots of people on Oasis do the same.

We sail Oasis for the first time this holiday and I HOPE, it's replaced by then. If not, it is just one show I don't need to worry about making a reservation for!

It is a very long show for a cruise ship. Also, not really the type of entertainment I look for on a cruise. It always seems like an odd choice to me. Seems people either love it or hate it. We walked out of it on Broadway and there are reports lots of people on Oasis do the same.

We sail Oasis for the first time this holiday and I HOPE, it's replaced by then. If not, it is just one show I don't need to worry about making a reservation for!

You will LOVE the Oasis, but not CATS! LOL!! It is definetly NOT for a cruise ship! Way too long and boring--and did not make sense! I know there are some that say it is great, but they are in the minority. Not suited for a cruise. Hopefully, by the time you cruise, it will be replaced with something more upbeat and fun---and much shorter!!

You will LOVE the Oasis, but not CATS! LOL!! It is definetly NOT for a cruise ship! Way too long and boring--and did not make sense! I know there are some that say it is great, but they are in the minority. Not suited for a cruise. Hopefully, by the time you cruise, it will be replaced with something more upbeat and fun---and much shorter!!

Yes! Something more upbeat and a lot shorter is ideal for a cruise. What was Royal thinking???

People want legit Broadway shows. Shows on Broadway generally run AT LEAST 90 minutes with most musicals clocking in at over 2 hours.

I wasn't aware you are required to purchase tickets and attend...

And I wasn't aware that people could not post their thoughts without snarky comments like your being made.