Wierd Fish on Princess

Jimbo59

I've decided never to see what a fish looks like when it is swimming. Some of them are quite ugly to our human eyes.

Kingclip is similar to Halibut in taste.

Barramundi is a type of seabass.

I have to chuckle at the term "weird." Years ago, I was on the Golden Princess sailing from Buenos Aires to Santiago. One day at lunch, I sat at a large table and a few other ladies joined me. We got to talking and one asked, "What do you think of all this weird South American food?" I asked, "What food do you mean? I haven't seen any." She said, "Lamb."

Just goes to show that food is often regional.

Because wild caught salmon, Florida grouper and swordfish prices start at about $13 a pound!

In the United States barramundi boneless and skinless filets are $6 a pound, much less than ribeyes or sirloin strips.

Princess' per diem per passenger is most likely well below $20 per day.

Edited by HUNKY
Updated info

Kingclip fish's official name is pink cusk-eel, genypterus blacodes. It is also called ling and rockling (Australia). From one website: The Kingklip has a mild, sweet flavor with firm and dense flesh resembling monkfish, but softer and with large loose flakes. Kingklip has long been the traditional ingredient in caldilo congrio a spicy, Chilean-style bouillabaisse.

What is kingclip? barramundi?

I've looked these up on google, but why does Princess offer these?

The great thing about dining on cruise ships is that you can order something that you are not quite sure of and when it comes to the table you can take one bite and either continue or push the plate aside and ask for something whose name registers with you. I imagine many people tried escargot for the first time on a ship by giving it a shot.

Both fish you mentioned taste great IMO.

Norris

Barramundi is a very popular fish in Italy and the Princess Executive chef is Italian which would make that a logical choice to work with. Kingclip is popular right now and quite available.

really? I live in italy on the sea, and don't know what a barramundi is...

There used to be a very small restaurant here in Chico by the name of Ruby's. A person I worked with a few years ago was talking about the old days and going there to eat. She had once asked her friend who was a waitress at Ruby's about the fish menu. She asked how such a small place had such a varied fish menu. They had 5 or 6 types of fish listed on different days.

The waitress gave her the following answer: "One fish. Many names." :D

Edited by Thrak

really? I live in italy on the sea, and don't know what a barramundi is...

Maybe they were referring to Branzino or Spigola (European Seabass). That fish is very good, usually served whole encrusted in salt. I think that the Barramundi that is served is an Asian Seabass.

Paul

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm sure many of you are not familiar with the fish called "slimehead" aka Orange Roughy? Some just might not even put a fork to it if the original name was on the menu.

The many varieties of fish served on board is one of my many reasons for sailing with Princess. I rarely eat beef or pork so they fish are always a welcomed choice.