QUANTUM is EPIC FAILURE—2½ STARS!!!

gkbiiii

Not only is the price tag ridiculous and so far off from the truth, but the fact is Meyer Werft in German who built QUANTUM, is renowned for their quality and attention to detail.

While it was their subcontractor's fault, the sink drain line in our cabin had a leak - obviously a shipyard issue that was not caught before the first revenue sailing.

Can any of you tell me what difference the cost of the ship makes?

If the OP typed "close to a billion" Would you have accepted the review with open arms?

The difference is that reading something so grossly inaccurate leads one to believe that perhaps there could be other embellishments & inaccuracies and the overall credibility may be questioned.

While it was their subcontractor's fault, the sink drain line in our cabin had a leak - obviously a shipyard issue that was not caught before the first revenue sailing.

The cabins are actually prefabricated off site by the shipyard and completely tested prior to installation on the ship. This is not to say that defects can't happen.

Also by no means in my previous post am I implying that Meyer Werft is perfect. They are not, but they are considered to be a superior ship builder compared to their competition.

Every new ship will have a long punch list of items that need attention even after it's delivered. Usually there is a group of shipyard workers that remain on the ship for a set time even after it's delivered to correct the punch list items. The ship is also under warranty for a specified time period similar to a car where the shipyard is responsible for defects.

The cabins are actually prefabricated off site by the shipyard and completely tested prior to installation on the ship.

That's why I said it was the subcontractor's fault and not Mayer's - they missed the leak on the cabin assembly line - it was simply a loose fitting and a very slow leak in a hard to see/reach spot. The Filipino mafia on board fixed it right away.

Edited by Biker19

There was quite a bit of construction repairs happening during our sailing.

For example part of the Windjammer ceiling came down and part of the ceiling along from the Bionic Bar had to be repaired. Also in the WJ there were men working with sheets of metal working on pipes just above the bread area (they didn't even cover up the food underneath).

Did anyone here get the letter from Guest Services that had the word Insidious on it above Dear Guest? What a shame they did not proof read the letter after printing it out.

Yup still a lot of work going on but pretty typical for a ship just delivered. I didn't receive that letter. On the maiden of CROWN PRINCESS they were still laying carpet around the atrium lobby as passengers were boarding. Same with the pool deck surface. Much of it was closed off the first sailing as they finished the job. The shipyards promise a handover date and usually it's cutting it way too close. In most cases the cruise lines still take delivery of the ship even though it's not quite complete because the alternative is canceling the cruise. It's a tough call. A financial penalty is imposed upon the shipyard and workers stay on to complete the work.

One of the biggest maiden voyage disasters in recent memory was NORWEGIAN EPIC. The ship was allegedly being sabotaged by yard workers in France and even some small fires were reported. NCL took delivery even though the ship was far from complete, I think in part just to get it away from the shipyard. The first cruises were plagued with problems and the press was especially bad. One huge problem were the bathroom sinks, which were actually in the cabin itself by design. They were so shallow that all the water literally splashed out of it and onto the bed or other parts of the cabin. All the sink fixtures on the entire ship had to be replaced. None the less all that is forgotten and the ship has settled in quite nicely. Most people have never heard of all the initial issues or have forgotten, and now the ship is doing very well as is NCL. The same will be true of RCI and QUANTUM and the level of unfinished work and issues were not remotely in the same league as EPIC.

Edited by eroller

The so called subcontractor is Meyer, they have their own cabin factory that is the sole supplier to the ship yrad, and both companies have the same Managing Director. That said even mass produced production line items can and do have faults in a small perecentage of finished units.

That's why I said it was the subcontractor's fault and not Mayer's - they missed the leak on the cabin assembly line - it was simply a loose fitting and a very slow leak in a hard to see/reach spot. The Filipino mafia on board fixed it right away.

There was NO ice cream at the buffet, as well as being without a Ben & Jerry's. This is the third-largest ship in the world, yet it is the ONLY ship in the fleet not to have one???

The fact is to me, that the 13 year+ Adventure of the Seas has 10X the WOW factor of this new build. I had the same feeling about the NCL Epic after sailing her (Maiden Voyage) a month after my very first transatlantic, on Adventure (Official Maiden Transatlantic Crossing), from San Juan.

The ship does not has the Royal sparkle and sense of wonderment, that other ships in the Navigator/Freedom/Oasis Class have. It is very bland inside (like the Epic) with odd adornments on deck (think Epic).

In fact this is the only ship in the RCCL fleet, other than Majesty, to have single story dining rooms. Gone is the grandeur of the two & three story Grand Dining rooms, that set Royal apart.

For a company know for Mega-Liners, this ship is a complete disappointment, inside & out!!!

I'm not sure if you've ever sailed on Celebrity, but out of the half dozen cruise lines I've sailed on they are the only one to "serve" ice cream inside the buffet. I think you might have expected it to be there, but only a very few RCCL ships have their self-service soft ice cream machines inside the WJ. I believe the Radiance did last March/April when we were on her.

Ice cream is just not a standard offering inside RCCL's Windjammer.

I believe the Quantum was just not to your liking, but it doesn't mean it wasn't appealing, even outstanding, to other cruisers. You're just not a Quantam kind of sailor: no harm/no foul. Other ships in the fleet might please you more, or other cruise lines.

We've heard from several other posters on this thread that actually loved their experience on the same cruise as you. That doesn't negate your opinion; it's just a different point of view from yours.

Happy sailing to you in the future, though! :D

The difference is that reading something so grossly inaccurate leads one to believe that perhaps there could be other embellishments & inaccuracies and the overall credibility may be questioned.
How about the cabin steward didn't put sheets on the bed, credibility gone with OP and honestly embellishments and inaccuracies is being generous IMHO. Again when the OP qouted the price to build the ship which we all know is sooo far off the mark, I discounted the whole post from the get-go....K.O. Edited by Thetrail

How about the cabin steward didn't put sheets on the bed, credibility gone with OP and honestly embellishments and inaccuracies is being generous IMHO. Again when the OP qouted the price to build the ship which we all know is sooo far off the mark, I discounted the whole post from the get-go....K.O.

Well, I'm not so sure about that one. We were also on the Quantum, in a SGS and we didn't have a top sheet, only a duvet cover. I thought that it was odd but I experienced the same thing last year on a princess ship.

As far as the ship goes, I think that it is a beautiful ship that wasn't quite ready for the 3400 passenger booked. There were issues, no toilet paper in the bathroom, no working phones, no literature telling of room service or suite benefits and no communication from the concierges, that I feel were Royals issues. One minor thing that really bugged me was the CDs daily report on the tv. Most days it wasn't there at all or it was the wrong day, ( like day two report on day five). I was depending on that because the daily planner was often wrong because of issues with the sea or the ship. That's something that I feel like they could have figured out since there were two CDs and plenty of video guys onboard.

We had a great time on the ship despite the problems and we felt that the compensation was adaquate. We received $900 back for being in a suite and the 25% future cruise credit. There were people on the ship the I believe just came on to complain about everything.

Right after we boarded the ship, we were treated to a lady wearing her pinnacle pin demanding to have reservations changed and being so ugly to crew members that we were embarrassed. She was saying " I am pinnacle and you will change it!" I felt so badly for them because this system was brand new to them too. We decided then that we would stay away from complainers during the cruise and enjoy our time, and we did.

We decided then that we would stay away from complainers during the cruise and enjoy our time, and we did.

Great advice and that is exactly what I did. Complaining seems to be contiguous and chronic complainers like to gather as many sympathizers as possible. It can turn into a bit of a mob mentality.

If I met someone new and the first thing they did was start complaining, I would end the conversation quickly and move on. Luckily I feel the vast majority of passengers even on this maiden crossing seemed to enjoy themselves. I know I did!

It was inexcusable the way some people treated the crew who were trying their best under challenging circumstances.

Also, the OP had asked on another thread if it really cost over 6 billion to build and was told otherwise.

Also, the OP had asked on another thread if it really cost over 6 billion to build and was told otherwise.

Irregardless of the cost to build this ship. This OP is VERY accurate on several points. I'll be posting my opinion soon. I was very disappointed with RC on this Maiden Voyage. Just out of curiosity, were you on it?

The plot thickens.....

So the OP might not just have got the facts wrong but has some sort of devious hidden motives, Hmmmm.

Is the OP really Dr. Evil?

Is the OP just complaining here to get cash from RCL?

"Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?":rolleyes:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Seriously.

There has been so much misinformation going around, part of the problem.

I was on the ship, and I agree with most of what he said.

These are objective observations.

But, I still had a great time, even though lots of thing didn't meet expectations. And they didn't meet expectations.

But hey, I'm a big skier, and I don't always get the snow conditions I want either, and sometimes it exceeds my wildest dreams, but I always have a great time.

As eroller mentioned also, I thought it was great seeing all the little problems that arose! More fun for me watching technicians trying to fix bionic bar than watching it work properly!

Hilarious seeing the north star get stuck (and those that got stuck also enjoyed!), all these things I expected and most of them added to the sense of adventure on this new ship, made all the better by the great staff who fearlessly tried their best to cope while still smiling (even in the face of some rude and obnoxious passengers).

One of my cherished memories on this great ship, and appreciated the acknowledgment by Royal in the form of $300.

Great staff, great ship, great fun! How much more fun all the teething problems made it, and thrilled to have been part of it.

Great food, great cabin staff, great barmen in the music hall!

Edited by podgeandrodge

The only way that I would book a maiden voyage of a new vessel would be if it was free. There will always be technical and service glitches on a new Ship, and with some of the radical new technology that is being introduced on the Quantum, I would anticipate that glitches are going to occur.

If I had paid a premium fare for this cruise, I imagine that I would have been disappointed if these glitches did occur to the extent described by the OP. That is why I would definitely wait for the technical issues to be solved, and service issues from the staff to be corrected. Very few technologies or service processes work well during the first few trials.

Edited by ohiowilly

I have read the posts on this thread and it makes me smile.

It is well known in the cruise industry that the first cruise on a brand new cruise ship is a shake down cruise; what this means is that they are doing a test cruise really. This means they test everything from the logistics to the physical build of the ship to the training of the crew, staff and dining to the different processes it takes to put on a cruise. This way the cruise line finds out things that aren't working.

It appears that the OP can attest to this because they were not happy with any of their 3 maiden voyages because things weren't perfect. (Makes me wonder why the OP keeps taking maiden voyages?)

Also, it appears, RCI made the Quantum different on purpose. The differences from their previous ships seems to show they are moving forward with new innovations and not staying stagnant with the old ways. Offering new things is not a bad thing or wrong, it is just different.

For those of us who left RCI a few years ago, for a variety of reason, this appears to be something I would like to try. I am sure the kinks will be worked out as they are on the Epic and the Oasis.

Happy and safe cruising all!!!:)

Great advice and that is exactly what I did. Complaining seems to be contiguous and chronic complainers like to gather as many sympathizers as possible. It can turn into a bit of a mob mentality.

If I met someone new and the first thing they did was start complaining, I would end the conversation quickly and move on. Luckily I feel the vast majority of passengers even on this maiden crossing seemed to enjoy themselves. I know I did!

It was inexcusable the way some people treated the crew who were trying their best under challenging circumstances.

I find this to be extremely true. What I think is funny is that a lot of these chronic complainers are crown and anchor members, diamond and above, complaining in the diamond lounge. Many are probably CCers as well. Really?? I found this extremely uncomfortable on my most recent Explorer cruise.

Seriously.

There has been so much misinformation going around, part of the problem.

I was on the ship, and I agree with most of what he said.

These are objective observations.

Objective observations? Seemed to me most of it was "opinion."

No central meeting place? I'm sure my group could decide on a place to meet that was central. Royal Esplanade, The Via, etc....

Bad service, mediocre food...opinion.

Outrageous drink prices...opinion.

Poor service throughout...again opinion. Just to point out a few.

The quantum is a better ship than Epic and Royal's handling of this whole affair, was far better than NCL. My best cruise on Royal would be Adventure's first transatlantic crossing (after 10 years in San Juan), the ship is stunning and the crew were outstanding!!

A few comments from the first page of this through to the end:

1. Is the food in the main dining room worse? Yes, sadly it is.

2. The lack of Ice Cream for purchase and the overall quality of deserts (through paid venues and otherwise) was disappointing.

3. The overall interior look of the ship, functionality, public spaces; are not even near to the level of the Navigator & Freedom Class Vessels in the RCCL Fleet!!!!

4. The time and attention to detail shown in the above mentioned is not shown with this vessel. Money/cost aside, the Quantum does not have the high caliber feel of these other vessel classes.

5. The quality of the meals, their offerings, and staff training in different dining venues was lacking.

6. It should be noted that the menus never change, in ANY venue; so the 45 day journey, will be a long one!!

7. Royal did a nice job expanding the Diamond Lounge to three rooms!!

8. My stateroom steward did not make my bed, with the proper sheets, which were on the bed originally. It was scratchy and nothing like before, I do know the difference.

9. Royal should invest in more ships like the Jewel: you know, ships people really like to travel on!

10. The Epic has not been a success for NCL, it never had a premium price, compared to ships like Oasis/Allure. Time will tell, if this occurs with Quantum.

:):)

The quantum is a better ship than Epic and Royal's handling of this whole affair, was far better than NCL. My best cruise on Royal would be Adventure's first transatlantic crossing (after 10 years in San Juan), the ship is stunning and the crew were outstanding!!

A few comments from the first page of this through to the end:

1. Is the food in the main dining room worse? Yes, sadly it is.

2. The lack of Ice Cream for purchase and the overall quality of deserts (through paid venues and otherwise) was disappointing.

3. The overall interior look of the ship, functionality, public spaces; are not even near to the level of the Navigator & Freedom Class Vessels in the RCCL Fleet!!!!

4. The time and attention to detail shown in the above mentioned is not shown with this vessel. Money/cost aside, the Quantum does not have the high caliber feel of these other vessel classes.

5. The quality of the meals, their offerings, and staff training in different dining venues was lacking.

6. It should be noted that the menus never change, in ANY venue; so the 45 day journey, will be a long one!!

7. Royal did a nice job expanding the Diamond Lounge to three rooms!!

8. My stateroom steward did not make my bed, with the proper sheets, which were on the bed originally. It was scratchy and nothing like before, I do know the difference.

9. Royal should invest in more ships like the Jewel: you know, ships people really like to travel on!

10. The Epic has not been a success for NCL, it never had a premium price, compared to ships like Oasis/Allure. Time will tell, if this occurs with Quantum.

I thank you for your opinion though I do not agree; your experience has not been mine or apparently others. :)

Apparently ice cream is important to you, to me it is not.

Also, you are assuming that the Jewel class ship is what 'people really like to travel on'. Who are these people? We are not necessarily in this group.

IMO the Epic is a great ship; we thoroughly enjoyed what she had to offer; everyone likes different things. It has been a success with NCL; though I do not know what you believe is a 'success'. I cruise on different cruise lines so there is no one cruise line here.

Lastly; these are all first word problems. I am for one, grateful for what I have been given. (how many times have you all slept on 'scratchy' sheets in a hotel'?). (Sorry for going there.)

I have traveled several cruises line in the past year and I must say cruising has changed no matter what cruise line you choose.

Happy and safe cruising to everyone!!!

Edited by Cruisercl