"HAL Cheerleaders" get unfair rap

summersigh

Lately there have been some posters that just don’t seem to be able to help themselves from snidely referring to people they deem “the HAL Cheerleaders” in their posts on this Cruise Critic HAL board. Well, duh, this IS the HAL board – do they expect that the majority of posters would be anti-HAL?:confused:

This board is like ALL the other cruise line boards on Cruise Critic. The majority of folks who post under particular cruise line topics DO sail that line because they LIKE that line. Why would someone expect otherwise? There are way too many cruise lines out there, most with similar itineraries, to expect that one would be forced to sail a line they didn’t like much less post on that line’s CC boards. Sure, there are sometimes things that don’t go totally as expected but that’s true on every line and experienced cruisers understand that fact. They know it's not perfect but it fits their niche.

IMHO - Many times the deliberate flamers expectations are out of kilter with the demographics of the various cruise lines they choose. No, HAL probably won’t have a rockin’ disco at 2am – CCL might. HAL probably won’t have tons of kids running about – RCCL and CCL might. Yes, dinner on HAL or X may be a little dressier or take 1-1.5 hours. On CCL there were folks in the dining room in sweats on “formal night”.

Also, those scoffed at “Cheerleaders” are the very same folks who patiently and pleasantly answer many of the same old newbie questions over and over, week after week. They never say “if you bothered to read the FAQ’s on the HAL site you’d know”. They just give good solid information – most are more knowledgeable than a company rep you’d get if you called HAL. They’ve helped me numerous times and I’m grateful.:)

................ just my opinions about something that doesn’t feel quite fair..

Well said. My husband and I have been only on HAL ships since we were both in our 40's (we are 20 years + older now) So we could not say that HAL is ONLY for older people because we enjoyed the elegance and quiet atmosphere for years. But I am always amazed at how people don't know "what they are buying" and expect a party atmosphere and then blame HAL when they don't get it.....anyway what you said was my feelings exactly.

Lately there have been some posters that just don’t seem to be able to help themselves from snidely referring to people they deem “the HAL Cheerleaders” in their posts on this Cruise Critic HAL board. Well, duh, this IS the HAL board – do they expect that the majority of posters would be anti-HAL?:confused:

This board is like ALL the other cruise line boards on Cruise Critic. The majority of folks who post under particular cruise line topics DO sail that line because they LIKE that line. Why would someone expect otherwise? There are way too many cruise lines out there, most with similar itineraries, to expect that one would be forced to sail a line they didn’t like much less post on that line’s CC boards. Sure, there are sometimes things that don’t go totally as expected but that’s true on every line and experienced cruisers understand that fact. They know it's not perfect but it fits their niche.

IMHO - Many times the deliberate flamers expectations are out of kilter with the demographics of the various cruise lines they choose. No, HAL probably won’t have a rockin’ disco at 2am – CCL might. HAL probably won’t have tons of kids running about – RCCL and CCL might. Yes, dinner on HAL or X may be a little dressier or take 1-1.5 hours. On CCL there were folks in the dining room in sweats on “formal night”.

Also, those scoffed at “Cheerleaders” are the very same folks who patiently and pleasantly answer many of the same old newbie questions over and over, week after week. They never say “if you bothered to read the FAQ’s on the HAL site you’d know”. They just give good solid information – most are more knowledgeable than a company rep you’d get if you called HAL. They’ve helped me numerous times and I’m grateful.:)

................ just my opinions about something that doesn’t feel quite fair..

I agree with you. I have learned so much from just reading these forum posts. I have booked my Zuiderdam cruise specifically because of the more low key atmosphere and smaller ship. My first HAL trip was in July on a Cruise Tour of Alaska. Only 3 days on ship was not enough, so had to book a 10 day to get my cruise fix! I have found my niche. Now I am contemplating the Greek Isles...:D

Then equally annoying is the Hal basher. If you don't like Hal and aren't going to sail their ships,why come to these boards to bash?

There was a poster who had been on probably 50 Princess cruises and 3 Holland America transatlantic cruises. Well nothing was good enough for them.

They're going back to Princess. Who cares?

The only one that benefits is the crew on Holland for their prayers were answered:)

There's a FAQ sticky? :)...just kidding.

As a new CC reader and sometimes poster and rookie HAL cruiser I appreciate the patience and wisdom shared by longtime CC'rs and HAL cruisers.

Heheheeee ... a FAQ sticky here ,,, AND pages and pages of 'em on the HAL site. I'm a retired Science teacher .... I actually read those things :D:D

To those who said "thanks" ..... My heartfelt "Thanks" right back at ya :D

Then equally annoying is the Hal basher. If you don't like Hal and aren't going to sail their ships,why come to these boards to bash?

There was a poster who had been on probably 50 Princess cruises and 3 Holland America transatlantic cruises. Well nothing was good enough for them.

They're going back to Princess. Who cares?

The only one that benefits is the crew on Holland for their prayers were answered:)

LOL. We've been on 75 Princess cruises and 6 on HAL. And we're coming back!

:D

Great post, summersigh, and I completely agree. As a newbie that joined this year, I can honestly say I'm already a much more confident cruiser thanks to the HAL cheerleaders! I consistently read the forums relative to my interest and search within each as necessary. Those same "cheerleaders" are all over the place… not just in the HAL forum. There are a handful that I've come to regard as the experts… and I always try to zone in on their posts, "live from" reports, reviews, etc, knowing I can benefit from their wisdom. I've asked questions a few times and when I have a response from one of these "cheerleaders," their comments carry MUCH more weight than the mostly negative naysayers. It's like the teacher slipping the answer to the student. ;)

What a beautiful post!!! :):)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have learned so much from the "ole time Cheerleaders" too..

Today we were at a Barbershop Chorus Concert & I had tears in my eyes & tugs on my heart when both the Star Spangled Banner & God Bless America were sung..

Now again I have tears in my eyes reading your post! :):)

I also want to thank you for the much needed-to-be-said post. Of course we are HAL cheerleaders! Why else would we be on their webpage? Of course some people have had a problem now and then and we listen to them carefully. Many are things that aren't really HAL's fault. Some are and I appreciate knowing if there is a problem in a stateroom I might be in, or illness on the ship I'm about to take, or even the fact that they haven't opened the dive-in on the Oosterdam :D. I love this forum and read it daily.:)

I don't have enough cruises under my belt to be a bona-fide HAL "loyalist", but I expect to someday earn that description. I think those who flame HAL may have just read some comment on a HAL attribute(s) and it struck a nerve, the comparison (to the line they've spent their time and $ on) putting them on the defensive. I think there is a certain depth to the HAL experience that makes us less defensive and therefore milder in our criticism when comparing.

I've never been a cheerleader, but I've never been a basher, either. I sail HAL because I like it, though I miss the "old days". I've learned so much on here from everyone, even when I just lurked for a couple of years. I don't have a problem with the true cheerleaders, only with those who put down anyone who posts that something negative happened, and blame the person or doubt their word. It has been ugly at times. I think the OP's post is very well stated.

Here's another hearty thank you to the OP! Our 1st cruise was on NCL - a 7 day Easter break Mexican Riviera cruise with 900 kids under 18 (4 of whom were in our party). Friends had raved about HAL so our next cruise, Alaska on the Oosterdam, had plenty of kids, but what a difference! And now we will become 3 star Mariners on our next cruise, leaving in three weeks! I'm sure we will try another cruise line one of these days, if the right itinerary/price appeals to us.

I truly don't understand the vociferous bashing that some members feel comfortable with posting and truthfully it usually makes me feel sorry for them. It seems the anonymity of online forums gives license to lower the bar of acceptable language. I'll get off my soapbox now and start my packing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thank You to Summersigh for her post. I agree with her totally. Thank You also to those of you that are "The Cheerleaders". I have completed one cruise with another cruise line and am booked on a HAL cruise next August. I am an avid reader if the HAL forum and have enormous respect for those of you that share your experiences and knowledge of both cruising and HAL ships. Your comments are always positive, and full of information. I have also found, unfortunately, that there are the other type of posters that like to criticise or demean others. "The Cheerleaders" put them to shame and are a class above. Well done, and once again thank you.:)

I am thankful for the HAL cheerleaders who have stuck it out and still freely give their time and advise here on the Boards. :D

I've been a CC member for a long time and used to be involved daily on the board. So many times I found that my opinion was trivialized because I was a "cheerleader", that I gave up and became a lurker rather than a poster. :cool:

Of course I enjoy HAL, although our cruises are not always perfect. They are always MUCH better than a day on land and the line fits us nicely.

Edited by localady

I will try to tiptoe through the minefield. There is nothing wrong for being a "cheerleader" for one's favorite cruise line, as long as you are being realistic. Many cruise line Cheerleaders (for any line) have little to no recent experience on other lines and are really not in a position to compare. We do like HAL (over 300 days on the line) but also like many other lines. HAL has many great traits, but it also suffers from some pretty major negatives (as does all the other mass market lines). I have often been flamed for suggesting that certain other cruise lines do some things better then HAL. And on other cruise line boards I have sometimes been flamed for suggesting that HAL might be a better fit. So at the risk of getting flamed on this board, we will suggest that each cruise line has it's pros and cons. And yes, HAL is far from perfect. That being said, we recently (2 weeks ago) completed 38 days on the Oosterdam and it exceeded our expectations in many categories. In fact, we were so pleased that we booked another long HAL cruise. That being said, in a few weeks we will be cruising on a Celebrity ship...which does beat HAL in many areas....but certainly lags in others. For us, variety is fun (it is nice to have different menu items, wine lists, entertainers, etc).

Hank