"HAL Cheerleaders" get unfair rap

summersigh

We have only cruised on HAL and subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. We enjoy HAL immensely and recommend it to friends. HAL is not perfect, but then what is perfect in life? I don't hesitate to sing their praises but I also don't have any hesitation about commenting on the shortfalls or a downright ridiculous way of doing something.

I think that sharing experiences may help others know what to expect.

If that makes me a cheerleader then mea culpa. :)

We have only cruised on HAL and subscribe to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. We enjoy HAL immensely and recommend it to friends. HAL is not perfect, but then what is perfect in life? I don't hesitate to sing their praises but I also don't have any hesitation about commenting on the shortfalls or a downright ridiculous way of doing something.

Like Sapper I have only cruised HAL. Don't consider myself a cheerleader. I like the product and in all my cruises have complained (in writing) to HAL ony once. I have two HA cruises booked for next year but I am looking at another cruise line for a 2016 cruise. Am I quitting HAL? No. But I am looking at a similar cruise line based on itinerary. RuthC once posted to me on another thread and I don't remember her exact words but the jist of it was would you eat the same meal every night? She is correct in her question. I need to get out of my comfort zone. The "cheerleaders" have provided me a lot of good information about cruising. Are they always correct? No. But they provide you a path where you can absorb the information and make a reasonable decision after some basic research. For that I thank them.

bob

I agree. We have only cruised HAL and enjoyed it. We are not as fortunate as others, and have only cruised 4 times. I have appreciated the information I have read on this forum.

Friends are thinking about taking their first cruise, and I have been sharing all that I can about HAL, the good and the bad.

Thank you to all who share your experiences.

I hate the term cheerleader, but then I am not a label fan. When you put a label to something, or worse, to someone, you effectively limit and minimize it/their potential. There is always someone waiting to turn the positive intent into a negative.

so I stayed away from this thread because of the word cheerleader. I am sorry I did when I read the OP. I fail to see why being positive is seen by some as being negative. The world can use some more rose coloured glasses.

We have been on a few cruise ships of various sizes and lines. We keep coming back to HAL because it works best for us. We can't always afford the very small exhibition boats nor do we enjoy the larger ships. We have gained invaluable advice from other's experience.

You ask a question and you get a variety of answers free of charge and much faster than waiting for a service agent at the airlines, the computer repair shop or any other customer service agent.

Cheer on people...please!

Edited by 1of4

I have often been flamed for suggesting that certain other cruise lines do some things better then HAL. And on other cruise line boards I have sometimes been flamed for suggesting that HAL might be a better fit. So at the risk of getting flamed on this board, we will suggest that each cruise line has it's pros and cons. And yes, HAL is far from perfect.

Hank, you make a great point. A lot of times, the "cheerleader" label is bantered about due to an unreasonable response to an opinion. I also cruise numerous lines and post on numerous boards, and I also have been flamed for making the simplest of complaints...like how I wish HAL had better entertainment.

In other words, HAL loyalists shouldn't get upset about being called cheerleaders if they feel it's ok to flame those who wish HAL would change certain things.

It would also be helpful for those who have cruised a lot on one line to understand that their experiences on that line can be different. Someone who has cruised a lot on one line and who is recognized by the crew may well be treated differently than the first-time or second-time cruiser.

While I appreciate the knowledge of those who have cruised a lot on one line, I'd also like to hear from those who can accurately and thoughtfully compare one line to another--using recent experiences, not the one cruise from the 1970s that made the poster leave that line and not look back.

LOL. Hi Barb, nice to "see" you. :) Too bad we're not on the same cruise.

Pia, the Noordam 11 day on March 9th is always an option for you. We did it the last 2 years, wonderful weather the entire trip. With it's embarkation and debarkation days being what they are the port in Lauderdale is a breeze, no massive crowds.

Whoops, read your "signature" too late. A World Cruise.... I'm green with envy. That ought to be a wonderful "live from".

Edited by larsen
added text

I don't think being positive is a "negative" -- but HAL, like all lines, has its good points and bad and it's wise to remember that. :)

In any balanced review you will get some of both.

We sail HAL exclusively - well, have sailed HAL exclusively, but we are open to other experiences.

I am thinking that the "cheerleader" label came about to describe people who think HAL can do nothing wrong - even in cases when the line clearly was at fault about something.

On most internet forums, the term "cheerleader" has connotations of someone who mindlessly supports a particular company, viewpoint, or issue without being willing to admit that it has any flaws or shortcomings.

I certainly have no complaint with those who have a positive opinion about HAL and love to share their knowledge and experiences.

However, I have also repeatedly seen posters with legitimate issues (particularly regarding maintenance issues such as A/C and plumbing) who are belittled and mocked by regulars, simply because "they" didn't have the same experience.

Pia, the Noordam 11 day on March 9th is always an option for you. We did it the last 2 years, wonderful weather the entire trip. With it's embarkation and debarkation days being what they are the port in Lauderdale is a breeze, no massive crowds.

Whoops, read your "signature" too late. A World Cruise.... I'm green with envy. That ought to be a wonderful "live from".

Sig line will be changing shortly. Mike's health has had major impact. Might yet be available for Noordam.

So here is the other side of the equation.

Someone posts that they were on a HAL cruise and had no A/C for 10 days or perhaps no working toilet, or flood.

Others, who were not on the cruise and not in that stateroom comments that no, the A/C was working and that the issue is one of perception and clearly implies that the poster is either exaggerating or a plain liar. And the other posters seem to know because they were on the ship six months ago and it was perfect.

The poster simply perceived that it was 80 degrees in the cabin, even with the fan. Or that the poster must have left the verandah door open. Or the toilet did not work because the poster was putting things down that should not be put down or simply did not know how to operate a toilet. Or there was not really a flood because the original poster has not replied to the subsequent posts....no wonder. Others then go on to say HAL is wonderful, the wrap around decks, the wonderful staff, the library, etc. As though these have anything to do with the original report.

How do you think it makes the original poster feel who is simply trying to convey some data to others who might find it helpful??? I suspect this type of response is where the term cheerleader really came from.

Edited by iancal

I don't think that it is appropriate for anyone to use snide remarks when commenting on any post. It has generally been my experience that snide remarks are often used in response to an obnoxious and offensive post. Sometimes these posts are deliberate, sometimes the posts are just the result of a less than stellar writing style.

Let's keep in mind that the word "cheerleader" and the word "regular" as a poster on this board do not equate.

If "cheerleader" is used as a derogatory term for people who see no wrong, and only right with HAL (and it is), that is as often someone who does not post here, or even necessarily cruise HAL, often.

On the other hand, there are many, many who post here, and sail HAL, regularly who do see both positive and negative on HAL---and say so.

What struck me recently was the civilized tone of most of the thread on HAL vs Princess. I kept thinking such a thread would not have been possible on some of the other forums.

Of course, the tone may have been due to the fact that both cruise line demographics are similar and that many that have switched to one line or the other were past fans of one of the lines and are disappointed in what they perceive as downgrading of some part of the cruise experience.

Let's keep in mind that the word "cheerleader" and the word "regular" as a poster on this board do not equate.

If "cheerleader" is used as a derogatory term for people who see no wrong, and only right with HAL (and it is), that is as often someone who does not post here, or even necessarily cruise HAL, often.

On the other hand, there are many, many who post here, and sail HAL, regularly who do see both positive and negative on HAL---and say so.

As always, you are a voice of reason. I believe my post was unclear that "cheerleader" doesn't always equate to "regular" or vice versa.

What struck me recently was the civilized tone of most of the thread on HAL vs Princess. I kept thinking such a thread would not have been possible on some of the other forums.

Of course, the tone may have been due to the fact that both cruise line demographics are similar and that many that have switched to one line or the other were past fans of one of the lines and are disappointed in what they perceive as downgrading of some part of the cruise experience.

Also possibly that if anyone has sailed with HAL and Princess they might like BOTH cruise lines. Does not mean that one line is better or less.... it just mean that had good cruise was good for... many different reasons. I would always say that HAL is the better of the two, but I have had good cruises with Princess.

Stephen

Absolutely. Thanks for saying it so eloquently.:)

^^ Yes.

I don't think that it is appropriate for anyone to use snide remarks when commenting on any post. It has generally been my experience that snide remarks are often used in response to an obnoxious and offensive post. Sometimes these posts are deliberate, sometimes the posts are just the result of a less than stellar writing style.

And sometimes the remarks are perceived as offensive because we put our own emphasis on the words. That is human nature with the written word. Without seeing facial expressions and body language, I tend to give comments that I first perceive as snide the doubt. It is possible the poster had no intention of being snide, but I am the one who misinterpreted the comment.

Debbie

And sometimes the remarks are perceived as offensive because we put our own emphasis on the words. That is human nature with the written word. Without seeing facial expressions and body language, I tend to give comments that I first perceive as snide the doubt. It is possible the poster had no intention of being snide, but I am the one who misinterpreted the comment.

Debbie

That's an excellent observation and good suggestion how to respond to it. One also has to recognize they sometimes do not know a history or pattern between several posters. There are some who consistently have something unpleasant to say to one or more of the same posters. To my mind, it says more about them than what/who they seem to be slamming.