What are Oceania's boarding procedures?

chrismch

We are also Oceania newbies, so this is great info on the boarding process. Does anyone have any experience with what time the concierge level cabins might be ready for occupancy? It looks like the suite guests can get into their cabins on the early side, with the other categories opened up later. We are hoping to be able to drop off our carry ons and leave the ship around 2:00 ish for a walking tour around Buenos Aires -- I may need to reschedule if we can't get into our cabin until 3:00. No big deal, just helps to be able to plan.

You can check your "carry-ons" at the same time that you check your other luggage at the dock. Then go where you want on and off the ship. Maybe keep essential meds with you. We see lots of people lugging stuff around on the ship for several hours and piling it up in corners while they are eating lunch. Unless you absolutely need it, just let the staff bring your carry-on to your cabin with the rest of your luggage. I've never heard of anyone losing luggage after it is turned over at check-in. But maybe somebody knows something I don't.

Mary

You can check your "carry-ons" at the same time that you check your other luggage at the dock. Then go where you want on and off the ship. Maybe keep essential meds with you. We see lots of people lugging stuff around on the ship for several hours and piling it up in corners while they are eating lunch. Unless you absolutely need it, just let the staff bring your carry-on to your cabin with the rest of your luggage. I've never heard of anyone losing luggage after it is turned over at check-in. But maybe somebody knows something I don't.

Mary

Sorry Mary, totally disagree with leaving "carry-ons" with the porter while checking in. If you carried them on, you didn't trust them to the airline people because they might be broken or stolen. While I do trust the ships crew, prior to what you check or rather give to the porter (not a check as you get nothing back to prove you gave them anything) goes from the porter who is a longshoreman who you will never see again before going in the container to be brought onto the ship.

Fragile items run the risk of being packed below larger items and broken and who knows what will be opened looking for valuables, camers, laptops, etc.

Highly recommend if you carried items onto the plane or are in small containers because they are valuable or fragile, DON"T even think of leaving them with the longshoremen. I bring some things packaged with lots of packing tape and several items were STOLEN from the box. The ship made good on what I lost but, still was annoying and thievery!!!!!

I think I pretty much agree with Dave. We always leave our main luggage with the porters, but take our carry on with us while we have lunch in Terrace. Our carry on is my computer (wheeled) case and my husband's tote. This isn't a problem to deal with when in public spaces.

Very occasionally we have boarded too late for lunch, in which case we just go to our cabin ... but I don't trust my computer to anybody! I'm sure it would be much safer with Oceania crew than with airline staff, but I still prefer to keep it with me.

As to the question abut when you can get access to your cabin, it can depend on general boarding times. Our usual experience is that the upper suites (OS to PH) can board at 11 am, lower suites somewhat later. We are usually in a PH, a few times we've been in higher suites, but I'm pretty sure we've always had access to our cabins by 1:00. Also it has seemed to me that once they start announcing availability for the top cabins, it doesn't take long for the next level to be available. (We've been on three Marina cruises since Oct '11 and one Regatta cruise in Aug '12.)

The best advice is to go with the flow ... boarding day is very difficult for the staff. They do their best to make your room available asap.

Mura

Mura

I agree with Dave - if you have anything breakable in your carry on do not give it to the porters outside the registration area. It might be OK - and it well might not.

Last time we boarded - in an Oceania suite - we were told at checkin that our suite was ready. (11am). We walked on board, straight to the suite. Left the carry ons there and went for lunch. When we returned to the suite at about 1230 the bags were on the bed.

Later when on deck I heard announcements being made about various levels of suites/cabins being available. They seem to "release" them in order of cost. I have to assume that the housekeeping staff works as a team to get the suites ready in that order. On Regent each stewardess/steward does their own suites and all are "released" together, usually at 1430. I have to say I prefer the Oceania way...

Like TravelCat I also unpack with a glass of champagne. Makes up for the fact that I get to do all the work!! Ken has the champagne too (so he can stay out of the way, or so he says!)

I also prefer when all cabins are released together as I find the constant announcements as to who can go to their cabin annoying. I guess when you pay 4 and 5 times what I paid you need to feel special. Its just marketing.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

IMHO--It seems to me more likely that it is impossible to finish all cabins at the same time on changeover day and that staggered announcements minimize the possibility of the "big rush". Also, not sure why people should be so put off that the larger suites get finished first. Also, this is why Oceania attempts to stagger the embarkation times. People who ignore this boarding process do so at their own risk related to when they can access their cabin.

Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have heard that even though O specifies different boarding times on the final documents that passengers receive..which IMHO is an excellent decision primarily to avoid an abundance of passengers all gathering and lining up to board at the same time....BUT I've been told by previous passengers, that in spite of the specified scattered embarkation times, many passengers ignore this guideline and board as soon as the ship allows boarding, regardless of their cabin category!! :mad:

My question: Does O acually enforce these boarding times by not allowing passegers to board unless it it their stated time? If they don't it defeats the entire purpose of staggered boarding times.

Eager to hear your input

I have heard that even though O specifies different boarding times on the final documents that passengers receive..which IMHO is an excellent decision primarily to avoid an abundance of passengers all gathering and lining up to board at the same time....BUT I've been told by previous passengers, that in spite of the specified scattered embarkation times, many passengers ignore this guideline and board as soon as the ship allows boarding, regardless of their cabin category!! :mad:

My question: Does O acually enforce these boarding times by not allowing passegers to board unless it it their stated time? If they don't it defeats the entire purpose of staggered boarding times.

Eager to hear your input

I would recommend reading this thread, or read it again if you've read it once. I do believe the answers you're looking for are already here.

Could that be related to you're being in a named suite? I myself, who tend to aspire to PH's but no higher, like the democratic way it's done on Regent.

No Wendy - I would be happy to come later and wait if I had an ordinary cabin or in the case of Regent an ordinary suite. And I am not sure I would use "democratic" as an adjective to describe the Regent process. I think it is more convenient for the staff, not the passengers. I don't see the advantage to anyone in getting everyone there at once and then having them mill about the ship waiting to get into their suites/cabins/staterooms. I just think that the Oceania way is more organised... and I like "organised"!!

No Wendy - I would be happy to come later and wait if I had an ordinary cabin or in the case of Regent an ordinary suite. And I am not sure I would use "democratic" as an adjective to describe the Regent process. I think it is more convenient for the staff, not the passengers. I don't see the advantage to anyone in getting everyone there at once and then having them mill about the ship waiting to get into their suites/cabins/staterooms. I just think that the Oceania way is more organised... and I like "organised"!!

Our experience with boarding on Regent has been different than yours. We tend to arrive at noon and have little to no wait. Regent picks passengers that are staying in the included hotels at specific times so that all passengers do not arrive at the ship at the same time. There can certainly be times where there are unavoidable issues such as you had and we will be having next Saturday when we cannot board the Riviera until 3:00 p.m.

In terms of milling about the ship, while we do not enjoy doing that, it is better than not knowing what to do once you have to check out of your hotel at noon and you are standing there with your luggage.

Not certain how it is easier on the staff on either cruise line. On Regent, everyone is going to their suite at the same time and need to be greeted by their steward(ess) and/or butler. They cannot be everywhere at once.

It seems that Regent (and other luxury lines) make a concerted effort to treat everyone the same. More and more I seem to compare Regent to an all business class airline. Not everyone pays the same but once you are in your seats, everyone is treated the same.

While I do not agree with all of the policies of Oceania, if we want to sail on their ships (which we do), we need to accept them with a smile. Actually, I'm wondering how the 3:00 p.m. boarding time will work with 1100 passengers at the same time???

when they had to clear after coming back from out of the country...that is what Travelcat is experiencing. They--the Coast Guard did not clear it until 3. There were literally hundreds of people waiting in the room that Crystal had paid for. The minute that the ship cleared it was complete havoc to get on the ship. That year, which was a Christmas cruise, there were a lot of more elderly than I am cruisers who were challenged with oxygen, etc. This made the boarding even worse. There is nothing a luxury line...or any line can do! If they want to hold the ship up...that is what is going to happen! Don't come early to those particular cruises.

As far as Oceania is concerned...I have never tried to get on at 11, but I frequently get there at 12. They DO NOT DISCRIMINATE...they take all the passengers. They would prefer that you come at the time they designate. All this hoop-la about discrimination makes me sick.

Bottom line, if you are on a cruise which comes to port from out of the country...come later. That is what is best.

As far as Oceania is concerned...I have never tried to get on at 11, but I frequently get there at 12. They DO NOT DISCRIMINATE...they take all the passengers. They would prefer that you come at the time they designate. All this hoop-la about discrimination makes me sick./QUOTE]

Not quite correct, Carol, but I wouldn't call it discrimination either. I have seen them hold back the lower cabin people (who came early) but that was because Terrace was full with diners. As soon as people left and they could bring others up, they did.

That only happened a very few times on cruises we were on. Usually you are right -- if there is space in the restaurant, you are welcome to board early. (Well, maybe not "welcome".) I never saw people being held back just so they could exert their authority.

Mura

I have been told that anyone who wants to board at 11 has a problem...they are just overcrowded. If everyone could just step back and think...most of the cabins are not free until 9. It can not be expected for people to just come flooding in. If the passengers who stay in hotels could just wait until 12, it would be really good. I have boarded at 12 at least 5 times with no difficulty. All windows were open. However, if everyone wants to get there at 11, that is not reasonable. About the restaurant--the Terrace, I have seen it REALLY FULL until late in the afternoon. Some cabins are not ready until 3, that is for sure.

I am really trying to understand how it could be crowded at 11:00 a.m. since only Owners Suites, Vista Suites and Oceania Suites can board (at least they can board first -- then others). There aren't enough people in those suites to cause a crowd - either in the boarding area or in the Terrace Café. Am I missing something?

I am really trying to understand how it could be crowded at 11:00 a.m. since only Owners Suites, Vista Suites and Oceania Suites can board (at least they can board first -- then others). There aren't enough people in those suites to cause a crowd - either in the boarding area or in the Terrace Café. Am I missing something?

Perhaps you're just being a titch disingenuous, since many have implied here that they just let people on, usually, as they arrive.

I myself, having been through this mill enough times, have no desire to get to most ships as early as possible--would rather wait until a civilized hour like 2 p.m. or so.

Perhaps you're just being a titch disingenuous, since many have implied here that they just let people on, usually, as they arrive.

I myself, having been through this mill enough times, have no desire to get to most ships as early as possible--would rather wait until a civilized hour like 2 p.m. or so.

I feel that I have been consistent. Regardless of how I feel about priority boarding, it is the policy of Oceania. However, once the "priority" people have boarded, IMO, there is no reason not to let others on. The issue of the Terrace Café being full is a bit puzzling. Regent is a smaller ship with a much smaller dining venue - La Veranda. Both ships also have the pool grill open. I'm wondering how Regent can accommodate an unlimited amount of passengers at any time (after noon), while Oceania seems to have limits.

Note: For clarification, I have been told by Hondorner that people are let on as they arrive. I have no clue if this is true and this has been disputed by some posters.

Oceania specifies a time so that they have a smooth process. They really do hope that everyone doesn't show up at 11, I am sure. As I said, I have never gone there at 11, but I have been there at 12 and people are all being let on. The moral of the story, go there when they have told you to go there. However, if you go earlier, I guess you take your chances. Mura has much more experience than I do, I am sure, but all I can say is that I have never seen anyone waiting on the bench, but then I don't try to board at 11.

On our Nov. 29 cruise on Riviera, all passengers were told not to arrive before 3:00. It seems as if the lines will be very long if most people show up at the same time. I was told that suites would still board first, but if you can't even get in to sign in, I can't see how the boarding will work. We've always come when our cabin cat. was told to arrive and all went smoothly. I totally understand why the boarding is late. What I don't get is how it will work. Oh, well, I guess I just have Thanksgiving dinner to prepare, houseguests arriving, and packing to do. I'm giving myself an excuse for my fogginess on this. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

Joan

As I understand it - and in fact as I did see it - there are three lines created to access the registration desks. One for the "top suites" I suppose Owners, Vista and Oceania. Maybe also PH suites Another for the balance of the "Concierge class" cabins and the third for the rest. When you arrive - at least at Miami which is all I know about! - you are asked to complete a Health form. And then are given a "group number" and asked to take a seat.

As desks free up groups are called up. And if there are no "top suites" waiting to be registered then others are called. It is all very orderly and well managed. I suppose if someone from an Oceania suite or higher shows up after the process has started they are sent to the head of the queue. And from the three lines it is very obvious if there are people waiting and from which category... So even if you have been told to show up at noon if you arrive early and the desks are not busy you will be asked to move ahead. And then you wait on the ship for your room to be ready. The 29 Nov sailing, with a previously-announced Coast Guard inspection is clearly going to be different and if I were on that sailing I certainly wouldn't show up before the "appointed hour" !!

Edited by Hambagahle

Actually, what I told Jackie was that at many ports the boarding times are not enforced. It depends on the port, Miami and others set the rules by which the cruise line must adhere. If there are waits at Miami, it's not the fault of the cruise line.

The description of different lines is accurate. However, at most ports (including Miami) if one of the upper suite lines is inactive, they take anyone in order to provide the best service.

Remember that all port-side activities are handled by third party organizations. The only time ship staff gets directly involved in check in is the rare occasions it is done on board.

Actually, what I told Jackie was that at many ports the boarding times are not enforced. It depends on the port, Miami and others set the rules by which the cruise line must adhere. If there are waits at Miami, it's not the fault of the cruise line.

The description of different lines is accurate. However, at most ports (including Miami) if one of the upper suite lines is inactive, they take anyone in order to provide the best service.

Remember that all port-side activities are handled by third party organizations. The only time ship staff gets directly involved in check in is the rare occasions it is done on board.

Hi -- what I am curious about is the post about the Terrace Café being crowded so they may not let people board early. It didn't make sense to me. Thanks:-)

Travelcat,

Remember that on the "R" ships the Terrace cafe is much smaller than on the "O" ships.

Perhaps that is the source of the confusion. The few occasions when I was aware that people were waiting to come on board until there was room for new passengers we were on one of the "R" ships.

I have ocasionally been in Terrace on the "O" ships when space was hard to find, but those were when there was bad weather and so no outside seating. If everyone literally arrives at the same time, sure there could be a problem. We usually arrive in time for lunch on boarding day, but on occasion we've been touring in town the whole day and so missed our lunch. We figured we wouldn't starve to death in an hour or two, however.

Mura

Mura