Elevator etiquette?

Wj420

My pet peave is the Elevators on S class, where people refuse to go all the way in to the back over the glass floor and fill in the corners back there.

Sometimes they are so busy, and they just stand mid elevator blocking the path not letting people on. I've given up being nice to them and just barge past and take those back spots myself.

Yes, I think we all know what you are talking about, but I'm not sure of the reason for the thread. Are you looking for stories - something else? :confused: Or just a spot for people to come and "vent"? There is plenty of that already around here. :)

Edited by gimletgal

1. When the elevator you have been waiting for opens its doors and folks are inside it, you don't always know if they are coming out. Sometimes they don't know themselves because they are unsure what floor they are on. So you might try to enter when the ocupants hesitate to leave.

2. Different cultures have different rules about who enters an eleavator first, men or women.

3. Some places, even in the US, don't have many elevators and folks may not have developed a smooth set of elevator etiquette procedures.

I forgot to mention what I beleive to be the very worst elevator manners..the big squeeze. That is what I call the situation in which folks insist on squeezing into an elevator when it is obviously already packed to capacity.

I tend to be claustrophobic anyway and when folks jam themselves into an already packed elevator I can hardly breathe. I have actually left an elevator when too many people selfishly pack in.

Edited by Gangway Style

Then there's the people exiting the elevator that step out but do not step aside thus preventing anyone from entering. The elevator door closes and I'm left standing there shaking my head wondering what would have been the polite way to ask the people to get out of the way, because they were clearly oblivious to anyone around them...:rolleyes:

I was with a friend on a cruise who lost consciousness. We summoned help and the ship's emergency staff placed her on a gurney to take to the med center.

They summoned an elevator, but when it came, the older couple on the elevator just stared at the medical team and didn't budge. Finally one of the guys gently moved them out of the elevator.

I think it was just slow reaction time; but I wonder if sometimes that's why we're uncooperative. Other times, it's cause we're 'entitled.'

I forgot to mention what I beleive to be the very worst elevator manners..the big squeeze. That is what I call the situation in which folks insist on squeezing into an elevator when it is obviously already packed to capacity.

I tend to be claustrophobic anyway and when folks jam themselves into an already packed elevator I can hardly breathe. I have actually left an elevator when too many people selfishly pack in.

Not a big deal unless one is used to empty elevators. Claustrophobia happens to be your problem that others cannot recognize.

Welcome to the city :). Is guess I've never noticed. I hold door open, let them leave then enter. I'm not buying there are rules. I hold door open for ladies and gents. Go first down stairs if they trip. I'm next to street for same reason. Logic dictates, not local. Same logic holds to let all off as there's more room. It ain't that hard.

Edited by blindrid

Pet peeve #1..

.Please do not bring on HOT coffee filled to the brim.without a secure top. I have been spilled on,, nearly spilled on, and was once spilled on on departure day so I smelled like coffee all the way home,,,

Also wish folks would not carry overly piled up plates of food ( often more than one) onto elevators

elevators are narrow and usually quite full...coffee and food are an accident waiting to happen!

#2 heavy perfume/cologne...

#3 obvious body odor....

Edited by hcat

Slightly off topic but what is the etiquette for walking down the internal corridors. I didn't think about this until I got a rude comment when I was walking down the left side and a lady was walking towards me on her right side so one of us had to move over. Her comment " they must be foreign if they are walking on this side".. Well in fact we where both "foreign", on a Med cruise I am Aussie and she was N American. I guess the "non-foreigners" would have been the Europeans.

Slightly off topic but what is the etiquette for walking down the internal corridors. I didn't think about this until I got a rude comment when I was walking down the left side and a lady was walking towards me on her right side so one of us had to move over. Her comment " they must be foreign if they are walking on this side".. Well in fact we where both "foreign", on a Med cruise I am Aussie and she was N American. I guess the "non-foreigners" would have been the Europeans.

I can understand the dilemma. As a youngster I have always been told when walking along a road with no designated footpath is to keep left. When travelling on an escalator we again keep to the left and those travelling quicker pass to the right. Americans and those who by nature drive on the right I assume use a similar doctrine but keep right.

Probably explains why so many tourists to our country who drive on the right have so many accidents.

I don't see a solution to this issue except to stop excuse oneself and allow the other to pass. Far more important things to worry about. If it keeps everyone happy I will apologise in advance for being wrong and move along.

Pet peeve #1..

.Please do not bring on HOT coffee filled to the brim.without a secure top. I have been spilled on,, nearly spilled on, and was once spilled on on departure day so I smelled like coffee all the way home,,,

Also wish folks would not carry overly piled up plates of food ( often more than one) onto elevators

elevators are narrow and usually quite full...coffee and food are an accident waiting to happen!

#2 heavy perfume/cologne...

#3 obvious body odor....

I guess I have never encountered #1.

#2 and 3. I've also never noticed. Too much attention paid to? Of course, I understand if that would happen. Different strokes for different folks.

I can understand the dilemma. As a youngster I have always been told when walking along a road with no designated footpath is to keep left. When travelling on an escalator we again keep to the left and those travelling quicker pass to the right. Americans and those who by nature drive on the right I assume use a similar doctrine but keep right.

Probably explains why so many tourists to our country who drive on the right have so many accidents.

I don't see a solution to this issue except to stop excuse oneself and allow the other to pass. Far more important things to worry about. If it keeps everyone happy I will apologise in advance for being wrong and move along.

This might well be the post of the day, it doesn't kill you to say sorry even if it's not your fault and just get on with enjoying your holiday.

On one cruise I was on, there was a particular time when I was on an elevator and the only other person there was a particularly buxom lady. My eyes were unfortunately distracted. ;)

As the elevator was going down she asked me to press "one"

I did

I don't remember too much of the rest of that cruise :eek: :D

The situation we encounter most is one of who goes first elevator doorways gangways the older folk will push past me then hesitate with my fit younger (29yr old husband) in a wheelchair. They freeze who goes first them being older or him with a disability it really throws them off guard age or disability first :) we have a giggle insist they go on and carry on our way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by dolcengabbana

On one cruise I was on, there was a particular time when I was on an elevator and the only other person there was a particularly buxom lady. My eyes were unfortunately distracted. ;)

As the elevator was going down she asked me to press "one"

I did

I don't remember too much of the rest of that cruise :eek: :D

lol

My pet peave is the Elevators on S class, where people refuse to go all the way in to the back over the glass floor and fill in the corners back there.

Clearly you do not have a fear of heights.

I will not go to the back, I am sure you do not want me parting with my previous meal suddenly - but I do stand to the side Sometimes there are reasons for behaviour so tolerance is the best virtue to pack when cruising