Delta changed flight times

buggins0402

I probably should have left more time for the connection time in ATL in the first place - but at the time I made the reservation it was 80 degrees out. Now, winter reality has set in.

Originally we had 1:45 connecting time in ATL (flight is from DTW to SJU). DL has changed the times just a bit, giving us just 1:18. We have no physical difficulties - in fact we were pretty decent runners in our day :).

How worried should I be about making that connection? Only other time I recall going through ATL we had hours between flights. And, what are the chances that they would hold the flight to SJU a bit if the weather is crappy in another major DL hub and there are at least a few other scheduling idiots like me on the flight from DTW going to SJU?

Edited by buggins0402

I probably should have left more time for the connection time in ATL in the first place - but at the time I made the reservation it was 80 degrees out. Now, winter reality has set in.

Originally we had 1:45 connecting time in ATL (flight is from DTW to SJU). DL has changed the times just a bit, giving us just 1:18. We have no physical difficulties - in fact we were pretty decent runners in our day :).

How worried should I be about making that connection? Only other time I recall going through ATL we had hours between flights. And, what are the chances that they would hold the flight to SJU a bit if the weather is crappy in another major DL hub and there are at least a few other scheduling idiots like me on the flight from DTW going to SJU?

Dl has always been very accommodating when it comes to flight changes they have done...check their website and see what other connection times might be available and then call them.

I fly DL often and usually connect thru ATL but I opt for approx 2 hours as I have a favorite place to eat there..Your connection time may be alright but you never know...I have never been on a connecting flight where DL waited for an arrival.

Best of luck.

1:18 should be OK, especially if you already know the layout of ATL and how to get from gate to gate.

As for holding the flight....if there are 20 of you "idiots", then maybe. For 1 or 2, unlikely.

That seems a little harsh... especially since the OP originally had 1+45 and now 1+18 layover, which you yourself thinks should be ok. So what makes him/her an "idiot"?

That seems a little harsh... especially since the OP originally had 1+45 and now 1+18 layover, which you yourself thinks should be ok. So what makes him/her an "idiot"?

It was a play on the OP's use of the word "idiot" to refer to himself. As in the original post:

"...there are at least a few other scheduling idiots like me on the flight from DTW going to SJU?"

You must have missed it.

Dl has always been very accommodating when it comes to flight changes they have done...check their website and see what other connection times might be available and then call them.

I fly DL often and usually connect thru ATL but I opt for approx 2 hours as I have a favorite place to eat there..Your connection time may be alright but you never know...I have never been on a connecting flight where DL waited for an arrival.

Best of luck.

Thank you...called DL and they changed to earlier flight! I acknowledged that it was an legal connection, but that in winter it was tighter than I would have ever booked (told her that the flight attendant would have to administer oxygen when I started hyperventilating after hearing we're 6th in line for de-icing).

And yes, I was an idiot....I'll do under 75 minutes in AMS in good weather months (have done under 60) ..no issue, but should have known I was getting into the red zone for a winter flight into ATL. Particularly, that I don't know the airport.

Best news...this is a weekend December trip and the hotel connected to the terminal has awesome rates. With the new flight being so early, we'll book a room the night before and just walk into the terminal. Well worth the extra bucks.

And, since we'll have about 2 1/2 hours (hopefully) what is the favorite restaurant???

Thank you...called DL and they changed to earlier flight! I acknowledged that it was an legal connection, but that in winter it was tighter than I would have ever booked (told her that the flight attendant would have to administer oxygen when I started hyperventilating after hearing we're 6th in line for de-icing).

And yes, I was an idiot....I'll do under 75 minutes in AMS in good weather months (have done under 60) ..no issue, but should have known I was getting into the red zone for a winter flight into ATL. Particularly, that I don't know the airport.

Best news...this is a weekend December trip and the hotel connected to the terminal has awesome rates. With the new flight being so early, we'll book a room the night before and just walk into the terminal. Well worth the extra bucks.

And, since we'll have about 2 1/2 hours (hopefully) what is the favorite restaurant???

We eat simple and (JMHO) enjoy a great sandwich at the BoarsHead and amazing piece of carrot cake at A Piece of Cake both in Terminal A sharing the same space.

As I said DL has always easily changed flights for me even when it's still a legal connection flight time. Glad it worked out well for you.

We're Delta centric and in Atlanta's Hartsfield often, like 8 times in the last six weeks...

It's not just the DTW weather that can throw everything off. Monday there were huge storms from Florida all the way up the east coast. Saw more joggers in the terminals than on an average March day. Our flight from FLL was delayed almost an hour so I share your concern. And we almost always opt for 1:45 - 2 hrs for connections.

As for restaurants - definitely One Flew South in E. It will be to your left when you get off the escalator and at the corner of the food court and concourses....catty corner to the duty free shop. Their kobe burger is almost as good as the duck confit and the prices are only a pinch more than any of the sit down restaurants in the airport.

Intermezzo at Buckhead Books at the center of terminal B is good and a little bit quicker.

There is a better than average Chinese take away near gates 1/2 in terminal A. Can't remember the name and even thought there is little traffic there the food seems fresher than the Chinese available in any of the ATL food courts.

FYI, most of our many flights to SJU have left from T, A, or B. It is not an international flight. But with anything logical at Hartsfield-Jackson your flight could leave from almost any concourse.

Thanks for all the restaurant hints.

Interesting...had the flight been this morning rather than two weeks from today, we would have been up the creek...DTW is totally closed due to ice. But, there is only so much one can do. We're flying in a day early and have booked directly with the airline so that if a known incoming weather event does cause the airline to offer free changes we can try that route. In fact, opted out of the included air, took the air compensation, so that we control our own destiny.

should have known I was getting into the red zone for a winter flight into ATL. Particularly, that I don't know the airport.

While ATL is HUGE, you'll find it very easy to navigate. There are 7 concourses that all run parallel to one another, and are connected at their midpoints by the underground plane train. (T, A, B, C, D, E, and F) The plane train runs quickly and frequently, so if you arrive at the platform as it's leaving, another will be along within a minute or two, literally. The concourses are well marked with signage, so just follow the signs to the concourse you need and then to the specific gate. Gates can change though, so if you check the gate assignment of your next flight and then stop to eat, check your gate assignment again and allow a some extra time in case it changed and you need to backtrack.

There are food options in all concourses, but count me as one of the fans of One Flew South in concourse E. I particularly recommend the Concourse E Burger, the pork belly sliders, or the pulled duck sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, ATL is very big but you won't be walking through the entire airport, since there is the train between terminals. You could still have a bit of a walk within a terminal but nothing that should take too long (in most cases). DTW even easier, due to the size of the Delta terminal (and with a train), but ATL not bad. Look at the airport map in your Delta magazine (or on a Web site) beforehand, so when you know what gates you'll be landing at and taking off from (always subject to last-minute change), you can plan your connection route.

Edited by Fattony

A couple of FYI's

Once again the plane train was shut down for several hours Monday. It happens from time to time. I know when we were there a couple of weeks ago our train was more "jerky" than normal. It's a heck of a hike from A to F!!!!!!! That's just one more reason to plan a decent connection time.

For those with connecting flights, don't forget to check the overhead monitor as you exit the jet bridge. Your destination and gate will be listed there. IF you have a connection of over an hour check a monitor for gate changes. We had three in October!

A couple of FYI's

Once again the plane train was shut down for several hours Monday. It happens from time to time. I know when we were there a couple of weeks ago our train was more "jerky" than normal. It's a heck of a hike from A to F!!!!!!! That's just one more reason to plan a decent connection time.

For those with connecting flights, don't forget to check the overhead monitor as you exit the jet bridge. Your destination and gate will be listed there. IF you have a connection of over an hour check a monitor for gate changes. We had three in October!

what's worse is after you make the trek across the airport, they change your departure gate to halfway back where you came from...

Good advice.

One caveat....the monitor just outside the jetbridge lists specific connections for people leaving THAT FLIGHT. Don't go and look on a monitor in another gate area, as that's specifically tailored for those arriving at that gate, not your arrival.

If you want to double check, look for the banks of monitors along the main concourse "walkway". Those will display all flights - look for the one with your flight number/time.

Finally, consider getting the DL app for your phone. Or for whatever airline one might fly. Lots of useful info can be pulled up. For example, you can find out what incoming flight is your aircraft. If it's delayed, you now at least know which one to keep an eye on.

Another good use it to take advantage of the "Track My Bags" feature. Enter your name and scan the bag tag barcode - it will show the current status of your bag. I will ALWAYS do that sitting in my seat before departure to know if the bag is in the cargo hold. Personal story - one time my bags didn't get onboard, due to TSA backlog. Was heading to BCN via JFK, and the app showed the bags being rerouted to a later flight via AMS. When I got to BCN, rather than wait around the carousel, I headed straight to the baggage office and told them "I have these delayed bags that are being rerouted through AMS, and will arrive in about 3 hours". The lady was incredulous - "How can you know that?". But when she checked her own computer, that's what she saw. I knew it before leaving JFK. Great feature, IMO.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Personal story - one time my bags didn't get onboard,

Same here on Delta, forced to gate check them at EWR, even though our connection MSP was 5 hours late they did a short turn around (tyring to keep crew legal) so no transfer bags were loaded and when we arrived at BOI at 3am in the morning went straight to the baggage office.

They said they did not have the information yet in the computer and I showed them the phone that the bags were already loaded on the first morning flight out I just wanted to come pick them up instead of having them delivered.

Needed to rent a car, Car service already shut down so did a one day rental since returning the car would get the bags.

Agent just looked at me crossed eyed when I told him where the bags were.

One of the dumbest things I've ever done (or not done) had to do with a Delta flight change. One year, they changed my flight so that I had a 20 minute connection in Atlanta. I wasn't that experienced of a flier, so I thought "well, I don't think they would give me a 20 minute connection if that wouldn't work." I didn't notice the fact that I didn't have to accept the change. I actually made the connection because the second flight was slightly delayed. But, you talk about stress getting between gates! It took forever to get off the first plane, then the train was malfunctioning and we ended up walking (running!) between terminals. My 80-year old mom couldn't keep up so she had me go ahead, hoping they would wait for her. It was terrible. I learned an important lesson that day to always check and recheck my reservations looking for changes ahead of time.

Fast forward to last year's Delta reservation. They changed it to put me on a different flight for the second leg that actually left before the first flight arrived. No email, no phone call, nothing. Luckily, after my other experience, I learned to check my reservation frequently, and got this one fixed. Geez, some customer service, huh?