Explorer- Port Canaveral Pier issues

rolloman

We were on the Nov 24th sailing of Explorer. My husband dropped me, our boys and our bags off at the port around 11:30 before proceeding to the Raddison lot. Traffic was backed up when he dropped us off and we noticed many people from the previous sailing still in the area. The boys and I were able to quickly check our luggage and nab a nice bench in the shade to wait for hubby. And wait we did. It was a few minutes after noon before he arrived at the lot. Then he waited in a long line in the sun for over an hour before the first shuttle bus arrived. Due to extreme traffic, it was after 2:30 before he arrived back at the port and we could begin the boarding process.

The shuttle driver and the captain both blamed the union that loads and unloads the luggage. The captain said that if they work 2 mins over, then they get paid for an entire second day. He said the members work very slow until they reach that over-time threshold, then things start moving.

We carried our baggage off. Took an hour and a half, but we figured it was probably way faster than waiting for luggage tag 27 to get called. :)

My 1/18/14 EX cruise says CT1 for embarkation. However the 1/9/14 embarks at CT10 and disembarks at CT1.

my sign and sail for both 1/18 and 1/24 says

Port Canaveral, Florida

Cruise Terminal #10

9005 Charles M. Rowland Drive

Cape Canaveral, Florida

don't have docs issued yet

Who knows RCCL is consistently inconsistent

Rick

my sign and sail for both 1/18 and 1/24 says

Port Canaveral, Florida

Cruise Terminal #10

9005 Charles M. Rowland Drive

Cape Canaveral, Florida

don't have docs issued yet

Who knows RCCL is consistently inconsistent

Rick

I think the Terminal 1 opening date is slipping and RCI is not sure when terminal is opening. Dec 27, 2014 opening is not going to happen. Hope it is ready for our 2-22-2015 FR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

February is probably ok, but it looks like it's a good thing FOS is going into dry dock for the month of January. They still have two sea walls and the dock wall to complete, ~160,000 square feet of concrete to pour, and they're still dredging:eek:

We were also on the Nov 24th sailing- horrible embarkation and debarkation. Porters were just standing around talking as luggage piled up. We finally just lugged our own bags. They also seemed to place luggage everywhere in the path of travel of passengers, getting in the doors was a nightmare. Debarkation was bad- probably because many did not trust that baggage would arrive in a timely fashion and used self assist. Rumor had it that the porters were supporting a strike in a different area with a slow down... not sure if that part is true, but the porters can not be accused of efficiency during embarkation. Maybe RCI will seriously rethink options when contract timel comes around.

We were also on the Nov 24th sailing- horrible embarkation and debarkation. Porters were just standing around talking as luggage piled up. We finally just lugged our own bags. They also seemed to place luggage everywhere in the path of travel of passengers, getting in the doors was a nightmare. Debarkation was bad- probably because many did not trust that baggage would arrive in a timely fashion and used self assist. Rumor had it that the porters were supporting a strike in a different area with a slow down... not sure if that part is true, but the porters can not be accused of efficiency during embarkation. Maybe RCI will seriously rethink options when contract timel comes around.

Had a long conversation with our porter when we got off Enchantment in October. They are definitely not happy with the design of the new terminal. Apparently there are no conveyor belts in the new terminal like they have in terminal 10, so all of the luggage has to be offloaded and sorted before passengers can get off the ship. This is the way terminal six was designed, and they hate that one as well. Delays the turnaround, and cuts down on the number of passengers they can churn. The way he described it, they do twice the work and half the tips.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think its just turned into an absolute worst case scenario. They planned on Terminal 1 being completed before Explorer relocated to Port Canaveral and with the continuous delays of its opening, it's like they're just "trying to get by."

Definitely dreading our December and January embarkation/disembarkations at Port Canaveral. Hopefully it will be worked out at least by our January cruise, but who knows.

February is probably ok, but it looks like it's a good thing FOS is going into dry dock for the month of January. They still have two sea walls and the dock wall to complete, ~160,000 square feet of concrete to pour, and they're still dredging:eek:

Agree about FR. -- lots to do in December . and January

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We today at least it is not Explore have an issue. There is a cruise ship sitting off shore because they are trying to launch a rocket. I left the beach 15 minutes ago where I could see a cruise ship sitting off shore. I checked the port cam and it seems to be a Disney ship. The window for the launch it to 9:44AM (i think)

We today at least it is not Explore have an issue. There is a cruise ship sitting off shore because they are trying to launch a rocket. I left the beach 15 minutes ago where I could see a cruise ship sitting off shore. I checked the port cam and it seems to be a Disney ship. The window for the launch it to 9:44AM (i think)

Launch scrubbed, trying for tomorrow

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

My boyfriend and I are cruising out on Dec 13. He is in a wheelchair. We were parking at the pier in the handicapped parking. How are we going to get where we need to be? Are shuttles accessible?

Call the port and see if any of their shuttle busses have wheelchair lifts. The port is very WC friendly (adaptive vans park free!) They should have accommodations for you. My DW has same issue but we're sailing on the 29th so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Please post what you find out. Enjoy your cruise.