Ocean Princess has been sold - joining the Oceania fleet as the Sirena

kazu

The showroom on those Renaissance ships is disappointing. The sight lines are very poor, but others may not mind. There aren't may places to hang out in during the evening, as well. I am sure Oceania will spruce her up...she wasn't in good shape. The stairwells are very narrow as well. To each his own...those R ships have no appeal for me!

Thanks Jacqui for the info. She is definitely one of our favorite ships....

Then you would LOVE Prinsendam. We had decent cruise on OP in Greece, but the ship doesn't compare. Who knows....maybe Prinsendam will go to another decent line when the time comes. This gives me hope! She is too nice to be put in the asian or other markets.

Interesting how Oceania, through its new owner NCL, is taking an opposite approach to HAL: adding a small (684 passenger) ship to their fleet rather than selling 2 somewhat-small ships (Ryndam and Statendam) and building a behemoth.

Then you would LOVE Prinsendam. We had decent cruise on OP in Greece, but the ship doesn't compare. Who knows....maybe Prinsendam will go to another decent line when the time comes. This gives me hope! She is too nice to be put in the asian or other markets.

We were underwhelmed by the Prinsendam for the price paid. Too old in the tooth with musty smells in several areas. I have not been on Ocean Princess so I cannot compare. However, the R ship experience on Oceania is outstanding with an astounding array of great food, service and pristinely maintained ships.

Interesting how Oceania, through its new owner NCL, is taking an opposite approach to HAL: adding a small (684 passenger) ship to their fleet rather than selling 2 somewhat-small ships (Ryndam and Statendam) and building a behemoth.

Cranival Corp. owns Seabourne (and therefor small ships), just like NCL owns Oceania and Regent Seven Seas.

Cranival Corp. owns Seabourne (and therefor small ships), just like NCL owns Oceania and Regent Seven Seas.

Yet bizarrely, no one ever seems to mention that. ;) I can't figure out if there's no overlap, or if the passenger progression toward the high end of Carnival's brands just isn't happening, or happening quietly.

To be fair I don't think you can call the Konsingdam a "behemoth". Certainly the largest ship thus far within HAL but when I think behemoth Oasis of the Seas comes to mind. Not my cup of tea but must be for some :rolleyes:

We avoided the smaller ships for years as DW thought they would roll and pitch more than the larger ones and encourage sea sickness. In 2012 we took the OP from Rome to Singapore for 27 days. Very much enjoyed the ship, crew and the cruise. It encouraged us to try the Prinsendam the next year which also proved to be a smooth sailing ship. Sorry to see the trend to larger and larger ships.

We avoided the smaller ships for years as DW thought they would roll and pitch more than the larger ones and encourage sea sickness. In 2012 we took the OP from Rome to Singapore for 27 days. Very much enjoyed the ship, crew and the cruise. It encouraged us to try the Prinsendam the next year which also proved to be a smooth sailing ship. Sorry to see the trend to larger and larger ships.

Even the "small" ships carry a good amount of weight, any seas that can toss them about will toss about any ship.

What always killed me about the "dinghy" sized floats is that it feels like 3 steps in either direction you are back where you started & the same 4 people who always were in your way ARE always in your way.

The showroom on those Renaissance ships is disappointing. The sight lines are very poor, but others may not mind. There aren't may places to hang out in during the evening, as well. I am sure Oceania will spruce her up...she wasn't in good shape. The stairwells are very narrow as well. To each his own...those R ships have no appeal for me!

We love that "R" class ship. Azamara has two of them, Quest and Journey. There are people disappointed that Azamara did not make the purchase. But information was she needs refurbishment.

Sorry to see her leave Princess but looks like she will be well cared for by Oceania. This just reinforces my thoughts that mainstream lines are not going to be attractive for me much longer....

She is now owned by NCL since they bought Oceania.

Azamara will be adding to their small sized fleet. It isn't clear what they plan to purchase (or build), but rumor has it is that they are looking for slightly larger 1,000 passenger ships.

I believe they had been considering OP, as someone reported her Captain was recently onboard Azamara (unless the Captain is looking for a new job).

Thanks for the information.

So the Ocean Princess is sold to Oceania which means she will be under the influence of NCL?

No she will be under the influence of Oceania :) NCL did buy Oceania, but they are operating separately (similar to Carnival Corp and HAL) and it certainly appears that NCL is willing to support their latest acquisition. The refurbishment of Ocean Princess is big $$$$

Yet bizarrely, no one ever seems to mention that. ;) I can't figure out if there's no overlap, or if the passenger progression toward the high end of Carnival's brands just isn't happening, or happening quietly.

It is worth remembering that Prinsendam came to HAL through Seabourn. HAL did not get her direct from Royal Viking.

If it's happening, it is definitely quiet. There's a lot of choice out there - Crystal, Silversea, Oceania, Regent are all competitors and depending upon what a person wants out of their cruising $ will help them decide what they will cruise on.

Prinsendam still has some fantastic itineraries so we sail her happily. For our first cruise out of mass market, it was Oceania that we chose.