Ocean Princess has been sold - joining the Oceania fleet as the Sirena

kazu

I don't know why Sammie didn't get service. The servers are quite intuitive...perhaps he gave off negative vibes!! They liked us!

I know I was very well taken care of on both my (longish) Prinsendam cruises. On the first full day I was being greeted by name. By the second evening they knew what drink to prepare. Food and food service were excellent---better than on other HAL ships, and much better than on Oceania. Yes: I was not terribly impressed by Oceania food, in spite of their reputation.

I would really like to try Oceania one of these days, but I have trouble finding an itinerary that interests me. I hope that with the addition of another small ship, they will continue to diversify their itineraries with some additional small treasures/hidden gems that are not on everyone else's itineraries. It would help justify the (much) higher cost of traveling as a solo versus some other lines.

When I travel on a small ship, I am willing to forgive a few things. Entertainment is necessarily more limited. Sometimes the smaller ships are not the newest and they may have a few dings or dents. As long as they are well maintained, they don't have to be "brand spanking new" to be fine with me.

I have a HAL credit for a significant amount and would like to try the Prinsendam. I think 2016 may be the year....

I would really like to try Oceania one of these days, but I have trouble finding an itinerary that interests me.....

Just curious ..where would you like to go??

Some people say they want new ports but when the cruise lines go there it is not what they expected

Some places there is no infrastructure for cruise ships so docking at a container port is the only options

Thanks for your two cents, Ruth!! That is why I "rambled" about comparing her to Regent. If I judged Prinsendam on two cabins (in need of work), I might be more negative. But, her public rooms and service, along with the food are up there.

I don't know why Sammie didn't get service. The servers are quite intuitive...perhaps he gave off negative vibes!! They liked us!

Well I was going to bow out of this thread but I do not appreciate this comment. We had no table service in the Lido because there were no tableside servers, they had a guy picking up dirty dishes. In 14 days, two meals a day in the Lido we did not see tableside servers. I think we were on the same sailing around Ireland but maybe we were in an alternate universe.

I am a most truthful person and I am a pleasant person. The highlighted comment is a very insulting thing to say. We did not lack Lido service because of negative vibes, there were no table servers in the Lido to provide service. I have read threads previously on the decline in Lido service, threads I did not start and threads I may not even have contributed to.

Well I was going to bow out of this thread but I do not appreciate this comment. We had no table service in the Lido because there were no tableside servers, they had a guy picking up dirty dishes. In 14 days, two meals a day in the Lido we did not see tableside servers. I think we were on the same sailing around Ireland but maybe we were in an alternate universe.

I am a most truthful person and I am a pleasant person. The highlighted comment is a very insulting thing to say. We did not lack Lido service because of negative vibes, there were no table servers in the Lido to provide service. I have read threads previously on the decline in Lido service, threads I did not start and threads I may not even have contributed to.

I have to come to sammiedawg's defense because I know her. She is not the kind of person that is demanding or causes problems or gives off "negative vibes". I sailed with her and her husband around South America for many days and enjoyed their company. I would sail with them again in a heartbeat.

If she is saying that they did not get table service in the Lido, I would believe her. She has no reason to lie and she is not the type of person who is so difficult that servers would avoid her. Please do not jump to conclusions about people's behavior when you do not know them.

From what I can figure out, she and her husband were not on a grand voyage. That may make a difference.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Just curious ..where would you like to go??

Some people say they want new ports but when the cruise lines go there it is not what they expected

Some places there is no infrastructure for cruise ships so docking at a container port is the only options

One of the good things about the smaller ships is that often there may be a smaller port closer to a town/city that they can visit and not have to dock at a container port. (This has been my experience on the small Aegean Odyssey, at any rate.)

I'm mainly interested in the Mediterranean -- I would like to see more cruises visiting ports like, for example, Zadar or Pula in Croatia; Ravenna, Portovenere and Trieste Italy; Sarande, Albania; Tarragona, Spain; Hyeres, France, and many more...

That's what I'm hoping for with additional small ships in O's inventory -- perhaps dedicating some itineraries to those not on their fist or second visit to the Med.

I have to come to sammiedawg's defense because I know her. She is not the kind of person that is demanding or causes problems or gives off "negative vibes". I sailed with her and her husband around South America for many days and enjoyed their company. I would sail with them again in a heartbeat.

If she is saying that they did not get table service in the Lido, I would believe her. She has no reason to lie and she is not the type of person who is so difficult that servers would avoid her. Please do not jump to conclusions about people's behavior when you do not know them.

From what I can figure out, she and her husband were not on a grand voyage. That may make a difference.

Terri

I didn't doubt sammie myself. Just was perplexed why the service varied from cruise to cruise. It shouldn't IMO. We have been on the Prinsendam now 3 times, none of them were grand voyages or portion of grand voyages.

Lido service has been consistent for us and good. Wondering if it comes down to the HM? I sure hope not.

One of the good things about the smaller ships is that often there may be a smaller port closer to a town/city that they can visit and not have to dock at a container port. (This has been my experience on the small Aegean Odyssey, at any rate.)

I'm mainly interested in the Mediterranean -- I would like to see more cruises visiting ports like, for example, Zadar or Pula in Croatia; Ravenna, Portovenere and Trieste Italy; Sarande, Albania; Tarragona, Spain; Hyeres, France, and many more...

That's what I'm hoping for with additional small ships in O's inventory -- perhaps dedicating some itineraries to those not on their fist or second visit to the Med.

Sounds good but Oceania ships are quite a bit larger than the Odyssey

They do hit some of the ports on your wish list but solo rates are a killer as you have said

Hope you get your wish

Lyn

Sounds good but Oceania ships are quite a bit larger than the Odyssey

They do hit some of the ports on your wish list but solo rates are a killer as you have said

Hope you get your wish

Lyn

cruisemom,

There are small and comfortable ships that go to small ports along the Croatian cost. I googled for them. Some are very new and look very nice.

Thanks -- I manage to keep finding itineraries. :D Just would like to try Oceania at some point. And Prinsendam. I just can't do long itineraries at this point while I'm still working.

It's our hope that Prinsendam continues for many more years. She is on our bucket list, more than once for good measure.

For those that like smaller ships, as we do, Viking Ocean Cruises is coming out with three small ships. 930 passengers, clean design and they look very nice:

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans

Terri

Terri, we would sail with you and Jim anytime. happy Holidays!

I think my post needs some clarification....when I said servers were "intuitive", I meant they generally know who is going to order. If a person doesn't order sodas or drinks on the first couple of days, the waiters will pass them by. In the DR, if you don't order wine every day, they are not going to bother you as well. I said they liked us, because they knew we were always going to order....because we had Explore4. I certainly didn't mean they could detect crabby passengers and avoid them. (That is kind of funny..) There are so many people in the Lido...they can't stop by every table. Sometimes people can be annoyed when the servers are overzealous. Servers get to know who is going to order, for the most part---thus being "intuitive". They even knew our order, in time---I think they have fun remembering.

Then how do you explain that she has the highest repeater rate of the fleet? Most people only post when they aren't happy. I have never posted when I 've loved a ship. But, I am sure to report my complaints---that is human nature. Personally, I don't need artwork on a ship. It's a ship--not a floating hotel! I don't notice the carpeting colors. I do notice if the seating in the public rooms and dining rooms are worn and shabby. I was disappointed in our cabin. Hal is going to have to make a decision, because no one is going to want to pay the premium price she commands for a shabby verandah cabin. Princess doesn't have table service in the Lido as well. I don't know what ships do, except for premium lines.[/QUOTE]

HAL used to, at least for dinner. You would order your main course (get your salad or sides on your own), and they would bring the entre to the table when it was ready. They used to have servers walking around to get you drinks too.

But with the cutbacks it sounds like they do not have the staff in the lido. We too question paying a premium for so so service. It doesn't have to be just the p-dam. There is a high premium for certain itineraries including VOV and the New England/Canada routes. Having great itineraries and great cabin stewards will only go so far.

Sad to see her go. Does this mean the two Panama Canal transits she was scheduled to do in March 2016 are dead? They are marked as not on sale on the Princess website. I am booked on the sailing before that, the around South America voyage RT Fort Lauderdale. I will be proud to ride her out of the fleet, but again, sad. I spent some good times on her.

The showroom on those Renaissance ships is disappointing. The sight lines are very poor, but others may not mind. There aren't may places to hang out in during the evening, as well. I am sure Oceania will spruce her up...she wasn't in good shape. The stairwells are very narrow as well. To each his own...those R ships have no appeal for me!

That's what makes the world go round especially in the cruising industry. There is something for everyone. I love the R ships, they are my favorite. The service is usually exceptional and I really like their Trivia ( it seems like it is around the clock). Because of the limited number of passengers you can really get to know people on a more personal level than you can on the mega ships. I was checking out the itineraries yesterday of the Ocean Princess because I want to book another cruise on one of the R ships. Azamara also has great cruises on their Quest and Journey.

Marion

To be fair I don't think you can call the Konsingdam a "behemoth". Certainly the largest ship thus far within HAL but when I think behemoth Oasis of the Seas comes to mind. Not my cup of tea but must be for some :rolleyes:

I didn't mean behemoth relative to RCCL; I meant behemoth relative to HAL but your point is valid and I should have used a different word.