Out of control dog on the Amsterdam

Windsailer

Jeff hasn't commented because it is a non issue to me I am too busy having one of the best voyages I have ever been on. I will make a point of commenting on my blog even though I hate to be distracted by such irrelevant issues. Bottom line, for those wanting to enjoy a great voyage this was it!

sorry, but I am confused.....why is this an irrelevant issue to you???? are you not on the same ship? I have to assume not since I am sure seeing such abuse of an animal, other passengers, and making the value of legitimate service animals seem a sham would absolutely make anyone react appropriately.

Whenever I hear of a irritating dog I think of this bit from Mark Twain's The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson:

He [Wilson] had just made the acquaintance of a group of citizens when an invisible dog began to yelp and snarl and howl and make himself very comprehensively disagreeable, whereupon young Wilson said, much as one who is thinking aloud:

"I wish I owned half of that dog."

"Why?" somebody asked.

"Because I would kill my half."

"Wonder why Jeff has not commented on this in his blog."

He did comment today:

"Now, one more issue to talk about… It seems that someone on Cruise Critic questioned as to why I had not mentioned in my blog a woman onboard that has a service dog…. There is a post on Cruise Critic about an “out of control dog on the Amsterdam”. The whole issue just blows me away! We have choices in life, I choose to explore the world and make the most of each day. Just like it says on my card “Live like you’re dying”, make each moment count. I guess some would rather focus on their fellow travelers and the wild rumors and speculation that normally goes on during these long voyages. Well, for my part, the voyage has truly been Grand and the ships staff and crew have done a remarkable job. If someone couldn’t enjoy this voyage they must bear some of that responsibility…. The woman and her dog have had no impact on my daily activities or cruise. In fact, other than the other guests talking about it I normally wouldn’t even know the dog was onboard. No matter how anyone feels about it, the woman came on with legal documentation for having a service dog with her. The reality is it is not up to us guests or the crew as to whether or not the dog may be on board the ship. That issue is between the woman in question and her doctor. I believe the staff and crew have handled this situation extremely well. It is a shame that so many wild, unsupported allegations, rumors and assertions have to constantly fly around the ship. Life is too short to not enjoy every minute of every day!"

Edited by bcd2010

[b

"Now, one more issue to talk about… It seems that someone on Cruise Critic questioned as to why I had not mentioned in my blog a woman onboard that has a service dog…. There is a post on Cruise Critic about an “out of control dog on the Amsterdam”. The whole issue just blows me away! We have choices in life, I choose to explore the world and make the most of each day. Just like it says on my card “Live like you’re dying”, make each moment count. I guess some would rather focus on their fellow travelers and the wild rumors and speculation that normally goes on during these long voyages. Well, for my part, the voyage has truly been Grand and the ships staff and crew have done a remarkable job. If someone couldn’t enjoy this voyage they must bear some of that responsibility…. The woman and her dog have had no impact on my daily activities or cruise. In fact, other than the other guests talking about it I normally wouldn’t even know the dog was onboard. No matter how anyone feels about it, the woman came on with legal documentation for having a service dog with her. The reality is it is not up to us guests or the crew as to whether or not the dog may be on board the ship. That issue is between the woman in question and her doctor. I believe the staff and crew have handled this situation extremely well. It is a shame that so many wild, unsupported allegations, rumors and assertions have to constantly fly around the ship. Life is too short to not enjoy every minute of every day!"

Amen!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

" I believe the staff and crew have handled this situation extremely well. It is a shame that so many wild, unsupported allegations, rumors and assertions have to constantly fly around the ship."

If these allegations were unsupported, why did the staff and crew have to handle anything?

A number of passengers who were or are currently on the ship posted actual facts. That's good enough for me.

Edited by Windsailer

I guess it would be easy to say it didn't bother me if:

I hadn't seen the dog sitting at the Lido tables

I hadn't seen the dog defecating in public places and the owner walking away

I hadn't heard the dog barking during shows or generally being a pest

I hadn't seen the pet owner acting like she was entitled

etc. etc. etc.

It would bother me a lot, but maybe I'm wrong to expect better after paying for an expensive cruise. :rolleyes:

etc. etc. etc.

It would bother me a lot, but maybe I'm wrong to expect better after paying for an expensive cruise. :rolleyes:

I agree.

One point is whether or not the dog is a real "Service Animal"; the more important point is how it is allowed to behave on the ship.

Jeff got a lot of sympathy for his internet problems on the WC. I am sorry he cannot respond in kind with what others on this cruise see as bothersome, and possible a health hazard, to many.

Perhaps it would take the dog pooping right outside Jeff's cabin?

I agree.

One point is whether or not the dog is a real "Service Animal"; the more important point is how it is allowed to behave on the ship.

Jeff got a lot of sympathy for his internet problems on the WC. I am sorry he cannot respond in kind with what others on this cruise see as bothersome, and possible a health hazard, to many.

Perhaps it would take the dog pooping right outside Jeff's cabin?

Of if he stepped in dog poop when he got off the elevator...

"Wonder why Jeff has not commented on this in his blog."

He did comment today:

Since rumors and allegations ARE flying through the ship this pretty much proves that this dog and owner are problems.

Most people are reasonable. If this dog acted like a service animal none of the above would be happening. In fact , most likely , the dog would be oohed and awed over .

Just because Jeff doesn't let it concern him doesn't mean that this animal and or owner has not disrupted others. I believe the passengers that came forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since rumors and allegations ARE flying through the ship this pretty much proves that this dog and owner are problems.

Most people are reasonable. If this dog acted like a service animal none of the above would be happening. In fact , most likely , the dog would be oohed and awed over .

Just because Jeff doesn't let it concern him doesn't mean that this animal and or owner has not disrupted others. I believe the passengers that came forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well put and a reasonable read of the situation.

I think we have got it! We can speculate that the dog somehow got inside the computer switching room and had fun "marking" the main switches and routers. This would explain the lousy internet service onboard.

Hank

I think we have got it! We can speculate that the dog somehow got inside the computer switching room and had fun "marking" the main switches and routers. This would explain the lousy internet service onboard.

Hank

If this cute little dressed up doggy were that smart, none of this would have happened.

Jeff's decision not to deal with the dog issue is his business. His blog features pictures (which I for one enjoy) and his comments on the Amsterdam's internet last year were really an extension of his blogging. He responded to a request to comment on the dog issue .... he gave his view... now let that subject drop whether you agree or disagree.

Susan

Jeff's decision not to deal with the dog issue is his business. His blog features pictures (which I for one enjoy) and his comments on the Amsterdam's internet last year were really an extension of his blogging. He responded to a request to comment on the dog issue .... he gave his view... now let that subject drop whether you agree or disagree.

Susan

Excellent idea!

Susan

I agree with you Susan. Well said.

Terri

" I believe the staff and crew have handled this situation extremely well. It is a shame that so many wild, unsupported allegations, rumors and assertions have to constantly fly around the ship."

If these allegations were unsupported, why did the staff and crew have to handle anything?

A number of passengers who were or are currently on the ship posted actual facts. That's good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

I Disagree, as have not found a number of Psgrs who posted actual facts which they personally observed..:confused:

I bolded your last sentence only because I've re-read all 12 pages (239 posts) of this thread which you started & not one of the Psgrs who is or was on this cruise have confirmed that they actually SAW the dog Defecate & never heard it Barking..

Post 1: you quoted an anonymous poster on Facebook about an out of control dog..

Post 12: AARZ stated she never saw the Dog Poop, heard it bark, or cause a disruption while she was on board..

Post 59 :Is a quote from HAL on Facebook to another person called Amy on Facebook.. Amy answers on Facebook..

Post 71: the poster was on board but never heard barking or saw the dog defecate, but did see the lady pushing the dog in the wheelchair..

AARZ & BCummin both confirmed they did not hear the dog bark or defecate..

AARZ is a respected member of Cruise Critic who has written about several of her cruises.. IMO she is extremely credible & would never say she witnessed something if she did not..

Eurolady saw the dog on the ladies lap & she was feeding it at the table..She did not say the dog was eating off the table..

Post 96 JB&JLG74 as well as post 139 Cruisin UKE: both on board but again did not witness barking or saw the dog Poop..

Post 162 JackWC & Post 204 Cruising in my Genes: saw the dog being wheeled about but did not witness barking or defecating

I could not find anyone on this thread that actually witnessed the dog Defecating & Barking on the Ship.. I'm not saying it's not true, but so far I haven't found a credible witness..

Therefore. have to agree with Jeff that it's a shame about the unsupported allegations & rumors which seem to be bouncing around.. Believe a lot is being blown out of proportion by the speculation that is going on in this thread..

Since we were not on board, maybe we should wait until the cruise is over & perhaps we will hear more from the additional Cruise Critic Psgrs who were on this ship when they are home.. Hope they would be willing to post what they actually observed![/SIZE]

Edited by serendipity1499

etc. etc. etc.

It would bother me too IF I saw it, but I am not on this cruise & did not see it..

Are you on this cruise & did you actually see all of the above?:rolleyes:[/

As mentioned I've re-read all 239 posts & have found no one on this thread who is or was on this cruise & can verify these unfounded allegations..

So if you are on this cruise & are willing to verify the above allegations, I stand corrected!;)

All we have on this thread is someone quoting a Facebook post which is against CC rules

Quote The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed. Unquote

SIZE]

Last night I also took the time to re-read the entire thread and could not find many facts - mostly allegations of third party talk and personal opinions. Even the original post was from someone copying another's post on Facebook.

There is little doubt that the passenger with the service animal has created lots of attention while on her cruise. Most passengers with service dogs do. On our NA cruise a couple with a service dog seemed to be the centre of attention wherever they went. Seemed many passengers had no trouble whatsoever approaching them and inquiring about the dog and the nature of the disability.

I am guessing that most of the personal opinions about whether the dog is an actual service animal are just that - personal opinions as I am also guessing that very few of those expressing these opinions are properly qualified to assess whether any animal meets the training requirements for a particular disability.

The only behaviour that seems to have been noticed by several posters is the passenger having the animal on a chair in the Lido. We do not know though whether it was a one time or repeated occurrence that occurred throughout the entire cruise. A one time occurrence may indicate that the issue had been properly dealt with by HAL.

I suppose several of the previous posters think every comment should be prefaced with "I saw". And if not, then the statement isn't true or is merely third or fourth hand information. That's simply not how most people write or speak.

I do think these statements are clear.

"I, too, have been on this cruise since September 21 and can tell you all of these complaints are accurate."

"I am on the Amsterdam right now and can confirm the previous observations."

But I suppose at least one poster would say these are not credible witnesses.

Once the Amsterdam docks and the passengers have ready access to the internet I'm sure more facts will become available.

Windsailor..I can't find either of the two posts on this thread where the person said they saw the dog defecating & or he4ard it barking.. Can you please give us the post Number.. Are you quoting someone from Facebook

I, too, have been on this cruise since September 21 and can tell you all of these complaints are accurate. Why did it take so long to complain? Of course you mean why did it take so long to post here because my husband did speak to the Hotel Director while we were in China when the woman was on a 13 hour tour with us without the dog. We have since been told by other passengers that she went on an overnight tour to Beijing. There have been so many complaints that on day 42 a blurb was included in the daily program explaining that a service dog had the right to be anywhere the passenger can be and that the dog can be any breed, including toy breeds. I found that insulting and filled out a let us know card telling them that passengers may not be so quick to question the dog's legitimacy if HAL required the dog to wear identifying jacket instead of costumes. I got no response. As for these Boards, I generally don't spend Internet minutes while on ship to look at Cruise Critic. Hawaii is the first that I'm back on cell service.

In post 149 the above poster states this: Quote I can't remember when I heard about the poop. Definitely well past Hong Kong. I think it was around Sydney. Unquote

No where does this poster state she/he witnessed the dog defecating! She/he only heard[ about it! /SIZE]

I am on the Amsterdam right now and can confirm the previous observations. The dog is a cute little thing (Cockapoo?) and hasn't been terribly disruptive, but the owner is awful. She takes the dog into the Lido regularly and the situation is very unhygienic. We had a Q&A session with the Captain and Hotel Manager who basically said their hands were tied. After the session, I watched one of the passengers give Henk (the hotel manager) a loud tongue lashing that was quite uncomfortable to see.

We were given stuffed bears 2 nights ago as pillow gifts. There is currently a woman walking around the ship with the bear attached to a wire "leash" to mock the dog lady. It's pretty funny.

It's obvious that the dog is not a service animal. If anything, it's a comfort dog and a sham of the intent of the ADA. I guess she's given us something to talk about and I find the situation pretty annoying. I think she has alienated everyone on the ship.

Again I don't see where this poster stated she witnessed the dog defecating or barking.. She states the dog hasn't been disruptive but the owner is awful..

It is not up to Psgrs. to determine if a dog on a public conveyance is in compliance with the ADA.. HAL needs documentation in order to put the Psgr & dog off the ship..

I suppose several of the previous posters think every comment should be prefaced with "I saw". And if not, then the statement isn't true or is merely third or fourth hand information. That's simply not how most people write or speak.

I do think these statements are clear.

"I, too, have been on this cruise since September 21 and can tell you all of these complaints are accurate."

"I am on the Amsterdam right now and can confirm the previous observations."

But I suppose at least one poster would say these are not credible witnesses.

Once the Amsterdam docks and the passengers have ready access to the internet I'm sure more facts will become available.

I bolded your statement! I for one would never state these are not credible witnesses if they in fact stated they observed the dog defecating &/or barking.. Since Jeff is on the cruise he too will not give an opinion about this being a service dog since he has not witnessed the dog barking & /or defecating..

I too will wait for the Amsterdam to dock & hear from Passengers who have witnessed these acts, before I believe them..

It would bother me too IF I saw it, but I am not on this cruise & did not see it..

Are you on this cruise & did you actually see all of the above?:rolleyes:[/

As mentioned I've re-read all 239 posts & have found no one on this thread who is or was on this cruise & can verify these unfounded allegations..

So if you are on this cruise & are willing to verify the above allegations, I stand corrected!;)

All we have on this thread is someone quoting a Facebook post which is against CC rules

Quote The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed. Unquote

SIZE]

Wow. Feeling a bit attacked here or on trial.

Nowhere did I say I was on that cruise. I did say IF I saw those things it would bother me. Never did I claim to be a witness. Apologies if what I wrote was misleading and you misunderstood what I was saying. Just stating an opinion, my opinion only. I guess I should have added IMO, but I didn't know I was going to be on trial.

Edited by Cruising-along