Eating chicken on the islands

travlnblueberries

Just curious on people who eat chicken on the islands, not necessarily in restaurants, but where they are just grilling. When we went to Jamaica all I wanted was to try their jerk chicken, but didn't get the chance. For some reason I'm nervous at the thought. I just wonder how long it's been sitting around. Can anyone comment on having the chicken?

As I have gotten older I am more particular about where we eat and I would not just eat something that is cooked on the street. Even if others do it I still won't. Best to go to a restaurant in my opinion and even then to be particular about where you dine.

Keith

I've eaten at dozens of open air road side jerk stands and never had a problem with chicken or fish. If it is good jerk ... the peppers kill anything that might do you harm!

But if drinking from a bottle or can - wipe it off or even give it a wet wipe from bottled water . . . the cans and bottles can be a little nasty. Son got ill once after we ate .. but he didn't have any food, only a soda . . . go figure. (picky eater would not try jerk)

Edited by Capt_BJ

I'm not overboard cautious but don't often eat street food. I've rarely had a problem but as written above, as I get older I watch what I eat in unfamiliar places a little more carefully. I also keep a few straws in my bag when traveling. Rather than drink from the can or bottle, the straw gives me a (false ?) :)) sense of safety.

When I was younger I would have a hot dog on the street in Manhattan. I just won't do that anymore. And when you are traveling it is never fun to be sick. I really try to eat on the ship as much as possible but if I eat on shore it won't be street food no matter where we are. Just not worth a risk. And if you have not been sick consider yourself fortunate but that doesn't mean that eating street food is a wise move.

Keith

When I was younger I would have a hot dog on the street in Manhattan. I just won't do that anymore. And when you are traveling it is never fun to be sick. I really try to eat on the ship as much as possible but if I eat on shore it won't be street food no matter where we are. Just not worth a risk. And if you have not been sick consider yourself fortunate but that doesn't mean that eating street food is a wise move.

Keith

You reminded me of those great dirty water hot dogs from street vendors in NY. Just 20 cents plain with mustard, or a quarter loaded with sauerkraut or chili. (Yes, I'm that old - I suppose that's why I like HAL).

We have traveled to Jamaica maybe 20 times, and we always eat the jerk chicken on the streets. Neither of us have ever been sick from it. I suspect that they would pass a health inspection as well as some of our restaurants here at home.:)

But to each his own, you make your own choices.:)

Just curious on people who eat chicken on the islands, not necessarily in restaurants, but where they are just grilling. When we went to Jamaica all I wanted was to try their jerk chicken, but didn't get the chance. For some reason I'm nervous at the thought. I just wonder how long it's been sitting around. Can anyone comment on having the chicken?

It is easy to make jerk chicken at home as the seasoning can be bought online and there are also recipes that tell you how to make your own jerk seasoning. Some grocery stores even pre-prep jerk chicken which you can take home and grill.

The ones in Jamaica that people are just grilling on the street - I wouldn't chance it because you don't know if the chicken has been kept cold prior to cooking. It might be fine or you might get salmonella which would last 4 to 7 days and wreck your vacation.

so we have two camps

OP and others who won't eat at the local places

and others like me who will .....

when I was a ship Captain my port agent took me to many of the places I mention. If he wanted my business next time, he did not want me to have an unpleasant visit. Funny thing ... these road side places, because of limited storage, are usually using products MORE FRESH ....

You reminded me of those great dirty water hot dogs from street vendors in NY. Just 20 cents plain with mustard, or a quarter loaded with sauerkraut or chili. (Yes, I'm that old - I suppose that's why I like HAL).

When we were growing up we used to also buy large pickles in barrels in NYC. I don't even think they are allowed to sell it that way anymore. :)

We really enjoyed the "lolos" in St. Martin. They're so busy that the food doesn't have a chance to sit around.

I agree, my DH and I loved those Lolos in St Martin and had a few meals from there. We went to the busy ones the locals were frequenting for their takeaway and we never got sick.

We went to some of the top French restaurants in the evening, which we also enjoyed, but really loved the Lolo food.:)

Edited by frantic36

a repeat

get in a taxi

offer the driver to buy lunch if they take you to their favorite JERK spot .

This is so funny to read as that is exactly what we did. :D

Our taxi driver from the airport was so lovely we used her taxi services over the next three days. Our first day out, we got her to take us to her favourite Lolo and bought her lunch.

We eat in local places ... but not from street vendors. :o

LuLu

Ditto. :)

a repeat

get in a taxi

offer the driver to buy lunch if they take you to their favorite JERK spot .

Good idea. I like it. :)

I do eat street food but with caution. Locals eating, hot preparation, sanitation. I also apply the same observations to restaurants, but there you can't observe the preparation.

This is usually the approach I take. I've never been sick eating at the local stands and food carts and have had some of the finest meals of my life. That said, Capt BJ's suggestion to jump in a taxi and offer to buy the driver lunch is genius. I'll definitely have to try it next time.

:D