fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

I'm so grateful to Buggins for his report and so far I'm very impressed. I'll be interested in ongoing reports as people arrive home, but sounds like Oceania stepped up to the plate and did as best they could under the circumstances.

I'm relieved because reading the news report linked here it sounded horrifying. I'm more apt to listen to the passengers.

Such a horrifying emergency for the crew and I am so sad for the families of those who were lost in the fire. Given what could have happened, I suspect most of the passengers will just be happy to get home safe and sound. Oceania's 100% refund plus 1/2 off a future cruise sounds very fair to me.

Looking forward to future reports.

Though those affected may understandably not agree, I believe that both Oceania and those on the world cruise are relieved that this did not happen in a month or two from now while in the midst of the world cruise in a more remote port than those in the Caribbean (or at sea in the middle of one of the Oceans).

This is not meant to minimize the tragedy of this event in any way.

I agree Paul. As sad as it was to see the Insignia in distress on the evening news and hear of the crew deaths ... at the same time I realized that being just a few hours away from the US mainland was beneficial for the many complicated tasks for aid and recovery.

Edited by Noxequifans

We just disembarked this past Sunday in San Juan. Such a terrible tragedy. Insignia is a beautiful ship (our first sailing with O) and her crew is excellent in terms of both service and personal interaction with her guests. We thought so highly of our experience we booked a 2016 cruise on Insignia while on board. Deeply saddened.

Though those affected may understandably not agree, I believe that both Oceania and those on the world cruise are relieved that this did not happen in a month or two from now while in the midst of the world cruise in a more remote port than those in the Caribbean (or at sea in the middle of one of the Oceans).

This is not meant to minimize the tragedy of this event in any way.

Agree totally. All of us were mentioning how thankful we were that we were in port and thinking of the world cruise.

Thanks for the kind comments...but I must admit the lack of sleep and atmospherics got to me today at the hotel and I finally lost it.

We took a taxi to go to a Walmart to pick up some cheap warmer clothes. When we came back the key cards were oddly not working for the elevator. We learned from reception that they had given out our room.....O had mysteriously checked us out and put crew members in our room - we had only a few things in there some Meds and my junk jewelry that they had packaged in our bag from our safe (it had been near the safe, but we had cleared it out....whoever went into our cabin to clear it out played conservative and bagged my cheap Chico's crap.)

We were low on the O food chain so we are in the Doubletree.. No problem chocolate chip cookies are worth it! They have now gotten many of the crew to Miami and are putting them up here...but in our already used rooms. My guess that logistics planning was really optimistic and was running about 6 hours sooner than reality (accountant brain working here). So plan was to double use the rooms. We were independent air, but room got mixed in with rooms that had O air and was given out while we were shopping. Sorry to say I lost it on the poor cruise reps here at the hotel, until I gathered my senses and figured out how the mistake happened and apologized.

Crew seems to be doing well. The logistics issues for head office does NOT end with the passengers. It was clearly evident from the lobby in the Doubltree. I can attest that the Miami personnel worked some very long hours at this hotel.

Just arrived home.....10.50 pm EDT. Don't feel too bad with only 2 hours sleep since 7 am yesterday in St. Lucia. I agree with Buggins report on the O handling of this tragedy. Most of the passengers were supportive ... a few not so complementary. But they were drowned out with clapping from the many when updates were given.

Haven't read all of this thread...but has it been mentioned that one passenger fell into the sea between the Dock and the ship? I was only 20'/30' feet away but could not see who it was. Other passengers in the Maimi 4 Seasons reported that it was one of the strong complainers. They fished him out and he appeared to have some scrapes, but generally OK!

Thanks for the kind comments...but I must admit the lack of sleep and atmospherics got to me today at the hotel and I finally lost it.

We took a taxi to go to a Walmart to pick up some cheap warmer clothes. When we came back the key cards were oddly not working for the elevator. We learned from reception that they had given out our room.....O had mysteriously checked us out and put crew members in our room - we had only a few things in there some Meds and my junk jewelry that they had packaged in our bag from our safe (it had been near the safe, but we had cleared it out....whoever went into our cabin to clear it out played conservative and bagged my cheap Chico's crap.)

OMG :eek:

I would have lost it too

It has been a trying time for all I am sure

Hope you get a better sleep & things will be better tomorrow

Lyn

Haven't read all of this thread...but has it been mentioned that one passenger fell into the sea between the Dock and the ship? I was only 20'/30' feet away but could not see who it was. Other passengers in the Maimi 4 Seasons reported that it was one of the strong complainers. They fished him out and he appeared to have some scrapes, but generally OK!

Glad you are home safe & sound

How could someone fall into the sea ???

Was this during evacuation or later?

Lyn

Buggins.....interesting your hotel experience....we had a small issue at the 4 Seasons. On checking in the O reps spelled out in detail the process for getting to the airport. They were providing small coaches leaving the hotel every hour on the hour from mid day. We were requested to be in the lobby 15 to 30 minutes before bus departure. My wife and I turned up 32 minutes before the 2 pm departure to be told that a bus had left at 1.20 pm and they had decided to cut out the 2 pm bus. More passengers were now arriving in the lobby for the 2 pm bus. It took a very few words to have this issue rectified..... waiting until 3 pm would have put some passengers in jeopardy of missing their flights.

The impression left with us was that as there were no O Air booked passengers needing transport at 2 pm the 2 pm bus was not required. We were all independent air passengers and this had slipped someones mind.

To be fair I believe the reps were also getting very tired and somewhat stressed and were not thinking quite straight. Quickly rectified and all got to MIA in good time.

Glad you are home safe & sound

How could someone fall into the sea ???

Was this during evacuation or later?

Lyn

No this was about 9 pm when we were on buses next to the ship waiting for passports. Some passengers were getting on and off buses to stretch legs and go to the bathroom as we had been there between 1 and 2 hours depending which bus you were on. It was difficult to make passengers just sit there...remember this was about 9/10 hours of standing or sitting down in hot sticky weather.Our bus air did not work and we had windows open.

It was dark on the dockside and no lights on the ship. It is thought this passenger may have got too close to the dock edge when arguing with some crew person about his issue/s. (speculation)

One last bit of personal trivia before I hit the sack.

We left CMH on Sat 6th Dec to fly JFK then San Juan. At CMH plane had problems and was withdrawn from service. We were switched to CMH to MIA flight for connection MIA to SJU. Luggage was supposed to be switched.

Arrived in SJU 3 am 7th Dec with no luggage. Luggage was in JFK but eventually got to ship 1 hour before sailing. While the luggage was in JFK with no certainty it would get to the the ship my wife said to me "I hope this is not an omen for this trip".

Arrive home tonight...no luggage. I have traveled a lot for 45 years and never before have I lost luggage in both directions :cool:

We left CMH on Sat 6th Dec to fly JFK then San Juan. At CMH plane had problems and was withdrawn from service. We were switched to CMH to MIA flight for connection MIA to SJU. Luggage was supposed to be switched.

Arrived in SJU 3 am 7th Dec with no luggage. Luggage was in JFK but eventually got to ship 1 hour before sailing. While the luggage was in JFK with no certainty it would get to the the ship my wife said to me "I hope this is not an omen for this trip".

Arrive home tonight...no luggage. I have traveled a lot for 45 years and never before have I lost luggage in both directions :cool:

But you are home and safe, sometimes we don't need the extra baggage so to speak

Just arrived home.....10.50 pm EDT. Don't feel too bad with only 2 hours sleep since 7 am yesterday in St. Lucia. I agree with Buggins report on the O handling of this tragedy. Most of the passengers were supportive ... a few not so complementary. But they were drowned out with clapping from the many when updates were given.

We heard about that, there was a long wait between the second and third groups. Also heard it took a long time to fish him out.

As Globevest said there were some bad actors who didn't realize the cruise line had to switch to emergency mode from serve the passenger mode. Didn't know it was one of the vocal ones who went in. At the ferry port we stayed off to the side in the outside area with a pretty laid back group. There were two woman from Chicago that were just hoots!! They really set the tone in that area.

It's going to be another long night for me...DH had a seizure. He has had them in the past, but it's been a few years. He's resting now, but I'm keeping a watchful eye. They always seem to triggered with stress and lack of sleep. Miami Dade EMS rocks, as does the hotel security.

We heard about that, there was a long wait between the second and third groups. Also heard it took a long time to fish him out.

As Globevest said there were some bad actors who didn't realize the cruise line had to switch to emergency mode from serve the passenger mode. Didn't know it was one of the vocal ones who went in. At the ferry port we stayed off to the side in the outside area with a pretty laid back group. There were two woman from Chicago that were just hoots!! They really set the tone in that area.

It's going to be another long night for me...DH had a seizure. He has had them in the past, but it's been a few years. He's resting now, but I'm keeping a watchful eye. They always seem to triggered with stress and lack of sleep. Miami Dade EMS rocks, as does the hotel security.

Hope your DH will be OK ..

Yes stress will bring out many problems

Get some rest

Lyn

Oh you have had a rough week :eek:

Mercy, you have had more than anyone needs!! And you still sound graceful and kind. I'm impressed. I hope you and your husband have a peaceful sleep.

No this was about 9 pm when we were on buses next to the ship waiting for passports. Some passengers were getting on and off buses to stretch legs and go to the bathroom as we had been there between 1 and 2 hours depending which bus you were on. It was difficult to make passengers just sit there...remember this was about 9/10 hours of standing or sitting down in hot sticky weather.Our bus air did not work and we had windows open.

It was dark on the dockside and no lights on the ship. It is thought this passenger may have got too close to the dock edge when arguing with some crew person about his issue/s. (speculation)

Yes in the dark you can lose your bearings hope he is OK

I think as we age our tolerance for dealing with stress is greatly reduced ..I know I seem to be less able to deal with situations that would normally not bother me a few yrs ago

I can only imagine how much stress was in the ozone there

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I feel sorry for the families and friends of the crew and contractors who died.

buggins and globevest, Thank you for keeping us informed. You all get some well deserved rest. You have a great attitude!

As to people with a really bad attitude under such trying circumstances, I can picture quite a few passengers who would have totally flipped out. They almost did in minor 'accidents' like an insect bite and slightly choppy waters. I would not have liked to sit on the same bus for any length of time because they shared their 'plight' with everyone again and again and in a loud voice.

Buggins, "It's going to be another long night for me...DH had a seizure. He has had them in the past, but it's been a few years. He's resting now, but I'm keeping a watchful eye. They always seem to triggered with stress and lack of sleep. Miami Dade EMS rocks, as does the hotel security."

So very very sorry to read of your DH problem. I do hope he is improving this morning.

My very tired wife is up and running after a good nights rest. She is off to have lunch with her female friends who have been texting her for the last two days......'lunch with the girls'. She will probably be shopping this afternoon....plenty of excuse with luggage lost. ah! life is getting back to normal:rolleyes:

Our fervent prayers go out to those who lost their lives and their families. One has a hard time wrapping their head around what they must be going through.

I am so proud of the O CC members who have posted here and the tremendous outpouring of love and support. I recall a recent tragedy on a competitor's ship and some of the posts were less than supportive. Even some of the CC members arguing with CC members that lived through the disaster.

It's obvious to me, that all of you are a class act. Kudos to all of you that ask the important questions and remain supportive of the pax and even O.

About an hour after given the clearance to go ashore at St. Lucia, the power shut off, most remarkable as the ventilation fans went quiet. There was a call of "Code Bravo" over the PA system in our cabin. You know, the PA system that means something serious. A bit later, the Captain's calm voice reported a small fire, nothing serious. We took him at his word.

To get off the ship, they manually wrote down cabin numbers since computers require electricity.

We walked around St. Lucia for a bit, dodging cab drivers soliciting fares: in St. Lucia, the taxi hails you. Just before 11:00, came back to check for a status update to find an ambulance and EMTs furiously working on someone.

The update: we are working on the problem. Some passengers taking them at their word waited outside forward for the problem to be resolved. Meanwhile, aft, someone was dying.

Decided to leave and walk about as we waited. Returned at 4:00, where we took them up on what was being presented as an "option" to wait at the ferry terminal. The terminal is a big warehouse with two big rooms. Got there too late for the food, so we had bread sticks, cookie crumbs, and bottled water.

I mentioned the two big rooms, right? At first, announcements were made in the room on the left, so the right-roomers kind of missed a lot of information updates. Kudos to the General Manager and "blue shirts" who got things running more efficiently as the night went on.

After sitting on plastic lawn chairs in a warehouse for almost 10 hours, surviving on bread and water, we boarded busses to the main St. Lucia airport. Much like the warehouse experience, the airport food ran out before I got there.

Miami was pretty organized. We got a hotel room even though Oceania had already booked a same-day flight.

Arrived home in Ottawa, Canada at 9:00 p.m. on Friday, about 30 hours after being sent to the ferry terminal (warehouse) and about 36 hours after leaving the Insignia for the last time with the shirt on my back.

Lessons learned? If it's valuable, put it in the cabin safe since that's all you get back in a situation like this. If there's a problem and you can leave the ship before it's evacuated, take a bag with a few more things than you'd normally take. Always leave your room clean and like someone else might need to pack it. Fare categories have no meaning when selecting your plastic lawn chair and bread sticks at the warehouse.

--- JRW

What can I write? Totally inadequate words. My sincere condolences to the families who have suffered such terrible loss.

Bravo to the positive attitude of the CC posters who were there and particular get well wishes to the husband of poster Buggins.