fire onboard Insignia

LHT28

I saw this news early and tried to find out more information this morning but nothing was up yet (other than the first two or three posts on this thread). I was hoping that there would be no more fatalities after the first announced, but now I see there are three. So very sad for the crew and their families.

I'm wondering how serious the damage was to the engine room. Might this impact on the world cruise? (No, I'm not saying that is more important than the deaths and any other injuries!) I see that the current cruise has been cancelled, which is understandable.

What awful news for everyone. But better to have happened while in port, no?

My prayers go to all who have been affected by this tragedy.

Is this the first time something like this has happened to Oceania's ships? I can't remember any previous incidents like this. A very sad time for Oceania.

Mura

is there any more information at this time? Where are the passengers and crew now? Hope all are still safe. Quite sad. First time I can remember something like this on an Oceania ship.

Suspect they are trying to find accommodation for 1200 people

Heard through the jungle drums the crew is not allowed back onboard because of toxic fumes still in the crew areas

I do not recall anything like this either with Oceania

Lyn

Lynn, I was wondering about there you came up with the figure of 1200 people since Insignia carries 684 passengers, then it occurred to me that if people can't stay on board there is the crew to consider! Duh!

Toxic fumes are certainly not something to play with ...

Mura

ABC just reported this on their evening news. So so sad.

We just got off the Insignia Sunday. We had originally thought about doing this segment also. Our thoughts go out to all affected. I met one passenger that had planned on being on till the middle of Jan.

Obviously someone will have to be able to retrieve passports, clothing & personal belonging of pax.

So sorry to hear of loss of life.

Insignia was the R1, thus the first "R" ship. Azamara has two of the last three (I'm not sure which 3) -- but the last three were the R6, R7 and R8.

Mura

We were on the R2 Renaissance cruise right before the turn of the century. June 1999.

St. Lucia online:

Three people have been confirmed dead after a fire broke out on Ocean Cruises’ Insignia at Port Castries this morning. At a press conference at the Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) headquarters this afternoon, officials said the three crew members sustained severe burns. A 42-year-old male is also under observation at hospital for mild respiratory depression caused by smoke inhalation. The names and nationalities of the dead were not disclosed. According to the authorities, the fire started in one of the ship’s four engines. All 600 passengers were evacuated. The ship had 400 crew members. The cruise ship will be docked in Port Castries, until the engine is repaired. In the meantime, reservations are being made for the passengers at various hotels. The cruise ship came from Barbados and was heading to St. Vincent next. Fire officials told St. Lucia News Online (SNO) that they received a call at about 9:25 a.m. that a fire had broken out in the engine room of the cruise ship. SLASPA and the St. Lucia Fire Service had said in a joint statement that the situation is under control. In the meantime, both agencies said they are working with the local agent, the ship and local authorities. The incident was contained within Berth 5 at Port Castries, which has affected the operation of Shed 6. All other facilities are in full operation. - See more at: http://www.stlucianewsonline.com/breaking-news-fire-on-cruise-ship-contained/#sthash.Cw3WiruZ.dpuf

So very sad! My thoughts go out to families of those lost and to all the crew who lost "family" members. Thankfully the ship was docked so the tenders were not needed to get all off the ship and land based help, if needed, could easily board.

I remember several fire situations at sea (all easily dealt with) and one while docked. The difference in the feeling of concern and safety as a passenger were so very different.

So very sad to hear .thank God most people were ok but horribly sad for those who died .....and everyone on board who must be feeling very down over this

Good luck to everyone on that ship guests and crew ....it must not be easy ...our prayers are with you all.safe journeys home

Im sure details will come out soon but I suspect it had to be a doozy to kill 3people