Cuba Anyone?

keeponcruising

Something like that.

Briefly, injuries he sustained when he was free (some sort of attack) were permanent requiring monthly treatment by an avian vet while he is sedated. Complications are such that his health can turn on a dime at any time. We have to stay on top of it. No petsitter can deal with this.

Owing to a career which required we move to different countries every 2-4 years, it is not as if we haven't seen the world. This little guy flew into our lives at the only time we could have taken on a pet - when we were going home to retire. Clearly he needed us, and now we can't imagine losing him.

So we won't cruise as long as he is alive, and we are pulling out all the stops to give him the most optimal and longest life we can.

So we are grounded by a bird - an irony we are happy to live with.:)

Such lovely post - grounded by your bird. A truly inspiring story for all animal lovers everywhere. What kindness!

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us.

Something like that.

Briefly, injuries he sustained when he was free (some sort of attack) were permanent requiring monthly treatment by an avian vet while he is sedated. Complications are such that his health can turn on a dime at any time. We have to stay on top of it. No petsitter can deal with this.

Owing to a career which required we move to different countries every 2-4 years, it is not as if we haven't seen the world. This little guy flew into our lives at the only time we could have taken on a pet - when we were going home to retire. Clearly he needed us, and now we can't imagine losing him.

So we won't cruise as long as he is alive, and we are pulling out all the stops to give him the most optimal and longest life we can.

Oh My What a beautiful story! I'm sitting here crying.. Know how you can become attached to them..

Years ago we had a Cockatiel named "Holly".. Our children adopted her but their Kitty cat kept terrifying her, so she had to stay in her cage.. We decided to take her in & got a larger cage for her.. She used to sit on top of the cage & try to talk..

It still haunts me as it was my fault that she died!.. We had her for several years & kept her wings clipped... One day she climbed down her ladder & went looking for me in my computer room, so I could pick her up & put her on my shoulder.. I had just stepped outside for 5 minutes but "Brandy" my wire-haired dachshund puppy, got her when my back was turned, thinking she was a squeaky toy.. Sadly, Holly died.. We buried her in our back yard, but I sill mourn that little one 14 1/2 years later...

Edited by serendipity1499

Something like that.

Awww, what dedication - I do understand the love of animals and especially birds - and what special people you are to care so much about your little guy.

US Business interests have had a lot to do with the push to open up relations with Cuba -- and there is much to gain in some sectors (Internet providers, travel-related businesses, banks, medical supplies, etc.) Not to mention a new consumer base for other US products.

You do realize that Carnival stock (yes, HAL's parent company) saw a good-sized bump on the day the announcement was made, on the strength of future cruise possibilities:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12989148/1/carnival-ccl-stock-gains-following-easing-of-uscuba-tensions.html

I just hope places like MuckDonalds and StarMucks stay away.:cool: But I expect they'll be the first ones there.

US Business interests have had a lot to do with the push to open up relations with Cuba -- and there is much to gain in some sectors (Internet providers, travel-related businesses, banks, medical supplies, etc.) Not to mention a new consumer base for other US products.

You do realize that Carnival stock (yes, HAL's parent company) saw a good-sized bump on the day the announcement was made, on the strength of future cruise possibilities:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12989148/1/carnival-ccl-stock-gains-following-easing-of-uscuba-tensions.html

Why are we so sure Cuba wants U.S. mega chains to build there? They may well be denied. They likely don't really need Coca Cola et al

Something like that.

What a heart warming story. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

All us animal lovers melt at such loving pet parents.

Why are we so sure Cuba wants U.S. mega chains to build there? They may well be denied. They likely don't really need Coca Cola et al

The Spanish Hotel chains have already arrived! Melia alone has 27 hotels in Cuba. My friends are leaving tomorrow to spend Xmas at this hotel:)

http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/cuba/varadero/melia-las-americas/index.html

Edited by Christine Frances

The Spanish Hotel chains have already arrived! Melia alone has 27 hotels in Cuba. My friends are leaving tomorrow to spend Xmas at this hotel:)

http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/cuba/varadero/melia-las-americas/index.html

We stayed in some really lovely Melia Hotels in Spain, particularly Marbella. Wonderful experience. :)

Melia is very similar to Iberostar or Riu, Bleau, They all have many resorts there. They keep building more and more mega ones.

Melia also owns Trypp, and Paradisus. There is also a Sandals in Varadero.

We have been to Melia Caya Coco, and Paradisus Varadero Royal Service, Also owned by Melia. Nothing missing there, Private car to Airport, Golf cart shuttle on the grounds. Only thing was some items not available now and then as no Tomatoes for a day or so and strawberries are scarce, but will have some certain days. But the fresh fish was amazing. Beef so/so Brazilian or Argentina beef. Wines were great, Spanish, Argentine, Italian, French. They were not lacking many items, But more like a 4 star elsewhere I guess.

We loved it so much, will certainly return soon. In Varadero where we were some days lots of jellyfish and other days none. Depends on the winds or currents I guess.

The resorts are well developed, lots is imported by these mega chain hotels.

BUt Cuba does have some wonderful beer. Buckenero is quite good.

Its the regular folks that have trouble getting supplies in their home towns

Service was great, friendly, lots of activities. Had more fun there than in Jamaica, Dominican Republic, or Cancun. or dare I say a cruising, lol.

The horror stories of no hot water and bad food, are if you stay in 3 star resorts.

Which is the same in many other countries.

Many Brits, Italians, French, Canadians of course and Yeah Russian too, lol

Edited by wilsonqbc

What North American chains would you compare them to? I have never stayed in one but they all look lovely.

I think there may be a few varying standards for Melia Hotels. We stayed in one in Madrid we liked just fine and had everything we needed or wanted but the one in Marbella (deluxe resort area) was wonderful. It was a step above the one in Madrid and compared well to the Four Seasons in which we've stayed.

There is quite a difference between a GranMelia like in Marbella or in Tenerife, and a normal Melia, which is a typical 4 star Spanish chain hotel...so mostly very good value for money, but certainly not luxury.

To compare with familiar US hotel chains: A Melia is compareable to a Hilton or Sheraton ( two overrated chains really)

A Gran Melia is more like a Westin or Grand Hyatt.

Paradisus is compareable to Secrets or Excellence resorts

Sol Hoteles are budget resorts, mostly 3 stars and compareable to a Ramada.

hope this helps,

Despegue ( who has to spend around 250 days a year in hotels)

For those US folks that want to go to Cuba, it has been quite easy for several years. One needs to simply take a flight from places like Toronto or Cancun. While it has been technically illegal to spend US dollars in Cuba one can either ignore the law or simply change money to Canadian Dollars (or Mexican Pesos). While we hope that one day cruise ships will call at Havana, keep in mind that Cuba is a large island which can best be explored on a land-based trip as opposed to a short port day.

One wonders how many car collectors will quickly head to Cuba if all the embargos are lifted.

Hank

For those US folks that want to go to Cuba, it has been quite easy for several years. One needs to simply take a flight from places like Toronto or Cancun. While it has been technically illegal to spend US dollars in Cuba one can either ignore the law or simply change money to Canadian Dollars (or Mexican Pesos). While we hope that one day cruise ships will call at Havana, keep in mind that Cuba is a large island which can best be explored on a land-based trip as opposed to a short port day.

One wonders how many car collectors will quickly head to Cuba if all the embargos are lifted.

Hank

Americans do not have to break the law or ignore it in order to visit Cuba. They need only join any one of the great many group trips sponsored by universities, congregations, service clubs etc Many are granted waivers and those traveling with the group do so with the approval of U.S. Government. I prefer to stay on the right side of the law. :D

Americans do not have to break the law or ignore it in order to visit Cuba. They need only join any one of the great many group trips sponsored by universities, congregations, service clubs etc Many are granted waivers and those traveling with the group do so with the approval of U.S. Government. I prefer to stay on the right side of the law. :D

While I agree with you completely and also don't want to break the law, trips under the auspices of approved organizations are very expensive. Friends of ours took a 7 day educational trip last year and the cost exceeded $9,000 for the week. I wonder if these institutions are not exploiting the embargo to feather their own pockets. Surely, the Cuban government is.