Bogus,Bogus,Bogus

lidojohnny

In the meantime you will just have to ... plan on getting the medallion on the following cruise..

My medallions have always been awarded on the cruise during which I reached the qualifying number of days. So long as I had the 110 (or 111, I forget which; original program), 300, or 500 days by the end of the current cruise, I received my medallion at the Mariners' party on that cruise.

This is another aspect where the rules are different from the Star program. On that program the benefits go into effect on the next cruise.

My medallions have always been awarded on the cruise during which I reached the qualifying number of days. So long as I had the 110 (or 111, I forget which; original program), 300, or 500 days by the end of the current cruise, I received my medallion at the Mariners' party on that cruise.

This is another aspect where the rules are different from the Star program. On that program the benefits go into effect on the next cruise.

The current Medallion Program was introduced in summer, 1998. This was a revamp of the preceding program which was:

Able Mariner 3 cruises completed

Cadet Mariner 5 cruises completed

Grand Mariner 10 cruises completed

A certificate was presented to all who achieved those levels.

In addition, there were Medallions as follows:

40,000 cruise miles (115 days) - Silver Medallion

100,000 cruise miles (285 days) - Gold Medallion

250,000 cruise miles (713 days) - Platinum Medallion

When the new program started, DH and I held 115 day Silver Medallions. At the first Mariners Party we attended after the start of the new Program, we were presented a Copper Medallion (100 days). We had been demoted. :D

They lowered us from being silver to then being a lower level.

Ruth,

I posted the terms of the 'old' Mariners Medallion Program above in post #20 of this thread.

Ruth,

I posted the terms of the 'old' Mariners Medallion Program above in post #20 of this thread.

I read it then.

I also know that I received my first medallion under the old program when I had 111 days, which is why I can't remember if it was 110 or 111 days to qualify. I knew I had made it barely.

That silver medallion was presented in September 1998, on the last cruise I took with my husband. It was sometime after that the medallion program was changed.

Originally Posted by doublebzz viewpost.gif

I heard the medallion and $2.00 gets you a ride on the New York City subway.

LOL!!! Too funny.

No, it won't get you on the subway in NYC... As I said before (without explanation) you need $2.50 and the fares may go up again soon ;)

Edited by Boytjie

I read it then.

I also know that I received my first medallion under the old program when I had 111 days, which is why I can't remember if it was 110 or 111 days to qualify. I knew I had made it barely.

That silver medallion was presented in September 1998, on the last cruise I took with my husband. It was sometime after that the medallion program was changed.

Interesting, Ruth.

I'm looking at a small pamphlet published by HAL, entitled 'Your Holland America Alumni Program" and on page 3, it says ...."Medallion and Grand Mariner Alumni who have not received a pin will be presented this award on cruises department after August 1, 1998. To receive your pin on a cruise after August 1, 1998, please note you have not yet been awarded..... ".

They must have published and planned that as the start date and perhaps delayed implementation. I happened to hold onto this pamphlet as it has telephone numbers etc that I found useful. I don't doubt your memory as to your experience. I'm quite sure you are remembering more than clearly.

hi Ruth - there is 1 exception to that statement: on Grand cruises, you are awarded your next star level on the day you qualify while on the cruise. We hit 4 stars in Hong Kong and we had laundry lined up for the next 4 days as it was now free.

I heard the medallion and $2.00 gets you a ride on the New York City subway.

it's $2.50 these days on NYC subway..

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

I remember growing up in Coney Island, Brooklyn when it was 10 cents

p.s. will be visiting Brooklyn next week for the Christmas Holiday

Edited by Stakeout

hi Ruth - there is 1 exception to that statement: on Grand cruises, you are awarded your next star level on the day you qualify while on the cruise. We hit 4 stars in Hong Kong and we had laundry lined up for the next 4 days as it was now free.

You're right, of course, and it's good that you added that info. I don't think about the Grand cruises all that often, since I haven't taken one in years, but there are people who qualify for increased perqs based on that, and they should know.

Isn't that "free" laundry great? :D I love coming in from a hot/humid port and tossing my clothes in the bag, and sending it out mostly empty. What a treat!.

Congratulations on reaching that status.

it's $2.50 these days on NYC subway..

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm

I remember growing up in Coney Island, Brooklyn when it was 10 cents

p.s. will be visiting Brooklyn next week for the Christmas Holiday

I can go back even further to the old 3rd Avenue El and 5 cents on the subway and Staten Island ferry. Of course, I think I was making only 60 cents an hour working after school.

On a serious vein, it was not my intention to mock the OP, but the dis-proportionality of the award for brand loyalty. 462 sea days probably equates to about $100,000 in revenue to HAL, if not more. And what do they give you - a worthless piece of metal. What about dinner at the Pinnacle, a bottle of wine, a discount on your next cruise, etc. Its almost like an employee retiring after 30 years service being presented with a Timex watch.

I hope OP has returned to read all these posts and understands he wasn't 'cheated'. It was a misunderstanding of how the program operates. He was disturbed and hope he feels better about it now that the programs have been outlined here.

Edited by sail7seas

The current Medallion Program was introduced in summer, 1998. This was a revamp of the preceding program which was:

Able Mariner 3 cruises completed

Cadet Mariner 5 cruises completed

Grand Mariner 10 cruises completed

A certificate was presented to all who achieved those levels.

In addition, there were Medallions as follows:

40,000 cruise miles (115 days) - Silver Medallion

100,000 cruise miles (285 days) - Gold Medallion

250,000 cruise miles (713 days) - Platinum Medallion

When the new program started, DH and I held 115 day Silver Medallions. At the first Mariners Party we attended after the start of the new Program, we were presented a Copper Medallion (100 days). We had been demoted. :D

They lowered us from being silver to then being a lower level.

What is the current program? I mean what are the levels/awards? I can't find it on the HAL site.

From HAL website - you may have to login to get this page:

Star Mariner

Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:

champagne

Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch

A special collectible gift presented to you on board

A free subscription to the print or digital** version of Mariner magazine

Offers to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society

Special offers on select sailings

A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

2-Star Mariner

2-Star Mariner

Collect 30 Cruise Day credits and you’ll be elevated to a 2-Star Mariner, which entitles you to:

Server pouring drinks

Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch

A collectible gift presented to you on board

A complimentary photo of the ship

A 10% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard signature shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)

A 15% discount on merchandise from http://www.shophollandamerica.com

An annual cruise planner

A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

A special recognition lapel pin

3-Star Mariner

3-Star Mariner

When you collect 75 Cruise Day credits you become a 3-Star Mariner, which means you’ll receive:

thermal suite

A 25% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages*, beverages in the Explorations Café* and all mini-bar purchases*

A 10% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)

Discounts on select treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon

An annual cruise planner

Advance information on new itineraries**

A waiver of air deviation fees*

4-Star Mariner

4-Star Mariner

Collect 200 or more Cruise Day credits and become a 4-Star Mariner, which entitles you to the following benefits:

wine bottles

Complimentary laundry and pressing services*

Priority disembarkation*

Priority tender*

Priority check-in*

A 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages*, beverages in the Explorations Café* and all mini-bar purchases*

A complimentary wine tasting session

A 15% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)

Discounts on select spa treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon

Early notification of shore excursions available for prebooking**

A complimentary one-year subscription to Travel + Leisure or Food & Wine magazine (one per household)

An annual cruise planner

Advance notice of new itineraries**

Waiver of air deviation fees*

Complimentary cruise fare on 3rd/4th guest in your stateroom on select sailings

5-Star Mariner

5-Star Mariner

Guests who collect 500 or more Cruise Day credits join our elite group of 5-Star Mariners. These premier travelers will receive all the following benefits:

typing on computer

50% discount on a 100-minute Internet package (one time only per cruise)

Two complimentary dinners in the Pinnacle Grill (free surcharge only)

Complimentary Culinary Arts Center cooking class (1 per cruise)

Complimentary laundry and pressing services*

Priority disembarkation*

Priority tender*

Priority check-in*

A 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages*, beverages in the Explorations Café* and all mini-bar purchases*

A complimentary wine tasting session

A 15% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)

Discounts on select spa treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon

Complimentary day pass to the Greenhouse Spa & Salon Thermal Suite (1 per cruise)* Not available on ms Prinsendam, guest will receive additional Pinnacle Dinner

Early notification of shore excursions available for prebooking**

A complimentary one-year subscription to Travel + Leisure or Food & Wine magazine (one per household)

An annual cruise planner

Advance notice of new itineraries**

Waiver of air deviation fees*

Complimentary cruise fare on 3rd/4th guest in your stateroom on select sailings

Great of you to list it all here, Dave. :)

Shmoo Here: In the future, if you want to find the list, On the HAL site, Log in to your HAL account, click Mariners Society.

Edited by sail7seas

From HAL website - you may have to login to get this page:

Star Mariner

Great of you to list it all here, Dave. :)

Shmoo Here: In the future, if you want to find the list, On the HAL site, Log in to your HAL account, click Mariners Society.

I can find the Star Program. I was asking about the Medallion program. How many days/cruises = what?

I can find the Star Program. I was asking about the Medallion program. How many days/cruises = what?
Actual days aboard or on a HAL tour:

100 - Copper also sometimes called bronze here

300 - Silver

500 - Gold

700 - Platinum

Medallions will be presented to you during the cruise on which you reach the new level of days.

Star Mariner Benefits (with few exceptions) begin on the cruise following the one during which you reached the new level.

We enjoy cruising for the sake of cruising. If HAL wants to give us a little trinket to hang around our necks, thank you. It's also nice for bragging rights to recognize peoples loyalty to HAL. The Mariner program is nice that we now get free laundry & half off our wine package.

Allan & Marlane