Self Assist Debarkation - Can I leave anytime?

twindaddy

Ok, so I am hooked on self-assist debarkation on other lines, love it. First time on RCCL, Oasis out of P.E.

On other lines, they suggest self-assist leave the ship first, but in reality you can walk off whenever you want after self-assist is called.

The Compass I found from a recent Oasis cruise asks self assist to leave between 630 and 730. Is there anything preventing me from walking off at 8:30 or 9 if I am self-assist?

Our group has two flights, noon and 2:30PM. To leave at 7:30 would seem to be too early.

Thanks!

Ok, so I am hooked on self-assist debarkation on other lines, love it. First time on RCCL, Oasis out of P.E.

On other lines, they suggest self-assist leave the ship first, but in reality you can walk off whenever you want after self-assist is called.

The Compass I found from a recent Oasis cruise asks self assist to leave between 630 and 730. Is there anything preventing me from walking off at 8:30 or 9 if I am self-assist?

Our group has two flights, noon and 2:30PM. To leave at 7:30 would seem to be too early.

Thanks!

Self assist can walk off at a later time if you choose....

Is there anything preventing me from walking off at 8:30 or 9 if I am self-assist?

We recently did self assist from Allure at 8:30 am without any problem. However, to get to floor level in the terminal, self assist guests are instructed to use the elevators instead of the moving stairway.

We recently did self assist from Allure at 8:30 am without any problem. However, to get to floor level in the terminal, self assist guests are instructed to use the elevators instead of the moving stairway.

Thanks everyone for the answers. Either one is fine, even regular stairs, we will get it down there.

Thanks!

I think the reasoning behind it is that they want to get the people with luggage off first.

There are lines to go through as you exit the ship and if you have luggage you are going to be holding things up. We had a large family in front of us with all their bags around 8:30 a.m. and they really created a bottle neck as we exited the ship.

If you don't want to leave until 8:30 or 9:00 why not just do the usual thing and pick up your bags after you leave. Self-embark is really intended for people in a hurry who want to get off the ship first.

I don't think there is anything to stop you from doing this, but it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I don't believe you will be assigned a "holding area" as other guests are as RC will assume you are off. You have to be out of your cabin anyway.

We were told that w/self assist, once in the terminal, you can use the escalators/moving stairways as long as you have one hand free to hold the rail, otherwise have to wait for an elevator.

Edited by 1ParticularHbr

I think the reasoning behind it is that they want to get the people with luggage off first.

There are lines to go through as you exit the ship and if you have luggage you are going to be holding things up. We had a large family in front of us with all their bags around 8:30 a.m. and they really created a bottle neck as we exited the ship.

If you don't want to leave until 8:30 or 9:00 why not just do the usual thing and pick up your bags after you leave. Self-embark is really intended for people in a hurry who want to get off the ship first.

I don't think there is anything to stop you from doing this, but it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I don't believe you will be assigned a "holding area" as other guests are as RC will assume you are off. You have to be out of your cabin anyway.

I appreciate your take on things, I just do not see the difference in me carrying my luggage that I am very maneuverable with vs. me hauling your average airport rolling carry on.

Granted I have never been through Port Everglades, my cruises have been out of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Europe.

Can you request a certain debark time? I guess another thing I am focused on is this will be my first cruise out of 10 or so that I will be going straight to a flight, usually its to my car or a cab to a hotel.

We were told that w/self assist, once in the terminal, you can use the escalators/moving stairways as long as you have one hand free to hold the rail, otherwise have to wait for an elevator.

That wont be a problem. Good to know, thanks.

Thanks!

Another solution you might consider is to use Luggage Valet. It's the best $20pp we spend when we cruise on the Allure. You set your luggage out the night before, and you will see it at your final destination. We keep our carry on and able to take it off the ship. We head to the taxi area and within about 10 min. we are at the airport. No luggage, no worry.

One exception to using Luggage Valet is if you have a change of airlines to get where you're going....Southwest to AirTran comes to mind as an example. This scenario makes passengers ineligible for using Luggage Valet.

One other snag with FLL is they won't accept your luggage for a set number of hours prior to your flight. You'll see many people waiting for the magic hour before flights to check in their luggage. Did that once, totally inconvenient, never again. So the 2:30 flight passengers in your group will be stuck the latest waiting until their magic hour to check in luggage.

Time we loved this the most was when traveling with bro and sil and her 80 something parents. Not having to get all that luggage in a taxi was great. We were all able to fit in a taxi van with no problem.

Another solution you might consider is to use Luggage Valet. It's the best $20pp we spend when we cruise on the Allure. You set your luggage out the night before, and you will see it at your final destination. We keep our carry on and able to take it off the ship. We head to the taxi area and within about 10 min. we are at the airport. No luggage, no worry.

One exception to using Luggage Valet is if you have a change of airlines to get where you're going....Southwest to AirTran comes to mind as an example. This scenario makes passengers ineligible for using Luggage Valet.

One other snag with FLL is they won't accept your luggage for a set number of hours prior to your flight. You'll see many people waiting for the magic hour before flights to check in their luggage. Did that once, totally inconvenient, never again. So the 2:30 flight passengers in your group will be stuck the latest waiting until their magic hour to check in luggage.

Time we loved this the most was when traveling with bro and sil and her 80 something parents. Not having to get all that luggage in a taxi was great. We were all able to fit in a taxi van with no problem.

Great idea. We are five people on three different airlines, two of which qualify (Delta and Southwest), one that doesn't (Virgin America).

So the wife and kids heading to Los Angeles (Virgin) will need to carry their luggage (aka I do it), Grandma going to Chicago can luggage valet (Delta), and me going to San Francisco (Southwest) can luggage valet. I am the 230 flight, the others are at 1130 and noon. Sounds like it is worth every penny of twenty bucks per person.

Do they charge the luggage fees to your on board account?

Thanks everyone for the input!

...Do they charge the luggage fees to your on board account?

Thanks everyone for the input!

Yes, they charge the $20pp luggage valet fee and any airline baggage fees to your on board account.

Edited by clarea

I posted earlier and don't want you to think that I am anti self-disembarkation, but a couple of things to check out. Just going from memory and personal experience.

Absolutely love luggage valet - have used it extensively. Normally fly Delta or American. Almost certain flights have to be after 12:00 to use. I think one time we had an 11:35 flight and originally guest services said no. I pursued it politely and asked them to check with the airline. Airline said ok.

If you do luggage valet you are told which group to disembark with. Bags still have to clear customs and they could call you if there was was a question. I believe technically you are not supposed to leave the ship until you are called. So I am not sure you could leave with your self-disembarkation bags and group until luggage valet has been called. If that would work for you, good!

Always found Oasis and Allure clear quickly; not had such good luck with other ships.

You obviously have plenty of time so I would not bother with self-disembarkation, especially if others in your party are using luggage valet. Just my personal opinion!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks!

We did the self-assist option 2 years ago on the Oasis (1st time trying it). We had a late flight, so we went and relaxed in the Solarium area for a couple of hours with our luggage. It was a treat for the kids too since they were not permitted there for the entire week. We had the area to ourselves, relaxed in the clamshell loungers, read books, used our tablets, and just relaxed. Once they did the final call for guests to all leave, we did a leisurely stroll to the elevators, rode them to the correct level, and walked right off. Best disembarkation we have ever done since everyone else had basically left and the the terminal was empty.

I posted earlier and don't want you to think that I am anti self-disembarkation, but a couple of things to check out. Just going from memory and personal experience.

Absolutely love luggage valet - have used it extensively. Normally fly Delta or American. Almost certain flights have to be after 12:00 to use. I think one time we had an 11:35 flight and originally guest services said no. I pursued it politely and asked them to check with the airline. Airline said ok.

If you do luggage valet you are told which group to disembark with. Bags still have to clear customs and they could call you if there was was a question. I believe technically you are not supposed to leave the ship until you are called. So I am not sure you could leave with your self-disembarkation bags and group until luggage valet has been called. If that would work for you, good!

Always found Oasis and Allure clear quickly; not had such good luck with other ships.

You obviously have plenty of time so I would not bother with self-disembarkation, especially if others in your party are using luggage valet. Just my personal opinion!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I appreciate all the input, pro or con.

I am not trying to be too much of a crazy over planner, but with 5 people, 3 airlines, and 3 flight times, it is a bit of a mess!

The compass I just found from a recent Allure cruise said Luggage Valet can leave after 8AM. That would seem to imply anytime after 8AM.

Like you said, we could all just leave when luggage valet is called, say 830, which would not get everyone to the airport too early (other than me, but that is OK).

We did the self-assist option 2 years ago on the Oasis (1st time trying it). We had a late flight, so we went and relaxed in the Solarium area for a couple of hours with our luggage. It was a treat for the kids too since they were not permitted there for the entire week. We had the area to ourselves, relaxed in the clamshell loungers, read books, used our tablets, and just relaxed. Once they did the final call for guests to all leave, we did a leisurely stroll to the elevators, rode them to the correct level, and walked right off. Best disembarkation we have ever done since everyone else had basically left and the the terminal was empty.

Thanks! That sounds awesome. I would be all over that, since my flight is at 230, but I doubt the wife would let me relax up there while she rushes off to a flight.

I am typically the luggage sherpa for self assist. Next time if we all get a 230ish flight, I think doing exactly what you did is a GREAT idea!

I appreciate all the input, pro or con.

I am not trying to be too much of a crazy over planner, but with 5 people, 3 airlines, and 3 flight times, it is a bit of a mess!

The compass I just found from a recent Allure cruise said Luggage Valet can leave after 8AM. That would seem to imply anytime after 8AM.

Like you said, we could all just leave when luggage valet is called, say 830, which would not get everyone to the airport too early (other than me, but that is OK).

Ok - we have 9 people not all the same flights, need to get to Jacksonville mid day. How will they know if we are using Luggage Valet or not? Cant we just walk off early with everyone else? I know we will have to wait it out in customs - but whats the difference? thanks!

If you can manage your bag and still have one hand free you can use the escalator