John and Diane's LAST Round the World Adventure

Johnny B

Thank you SO much for taking the time to post about your amazing adventures! It is truly a pleasure these days to find a couple who are so upbeat and happy. I wish you a safe trip home and many more wonderful voyages!

Thursday, April 30, 2015 - Day 115

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

It always ends where it has begun, so here we are back in warm, humid and rainy Ft. Lauderdale, sitting in our cabin waiting to have our number (Pink #1) called so that we can begin our journey home - Ft. Lauderdale to Houston to San Francisco to San Luis Obispo. We’ve said our goodbyes with kisses and hugs, given extra tips to several who have served us well, and we’re ready to head off.

Yesterday was a somewhat strange day, with no show last night and people pretty much just wandering around the ship wondering why we’ve had six days of rotten weather and when we were going to arrive in FLL. At 3:00 yesterday afternoon we finally had the finals of “Dancing with the Stars.” There were six finalists, two each in waltz, cha cha, and jive. It seems that people who dance the jive have a better chance of winning, since it’s a more flashy dance style and the winners for the last two years have been doing that particular dance. This year was no different; the winner was a young woman named Stephanie who danced easily as well as the professional dancer with whom she was paired. In three years of competition, she was the best we’ve seen. The prize, however, is worth the effort: it’s a gold-colored heart worth probably about $2.50. Oh well, it’s all in the fun of it.

Last evening all of our new and old friends gathered in the Crow’s Nest for a last hurrah, and we had a wonderful time. Our friend Ginny had painted the ship in perfect form, sitting in a blue sea, and then made copies of it, so we all now have a “signed and numbered Ginny lithograph.” It really is beautiful. Those of us who hadn’t exchanged cards did so, and we’re hoping to get together with some of our friends between cruises.

The big question going around was “2016?” The answer was primarily either “No” or “Just a segment.” However, when asked about 2017, the answer was almost always “Yes!” because it has a wonderful new itinerary, sailing west via Hawaii to many WWII battleground areas and then to Korea, Japan and China. We really aren’t sure, but if we go, I’ll make a liar of myself, won’t I?

So . . . it’s been a wonderful 4-1/2 months since the Caribbean pre-cruise and continuing on to our amazing world cruise. We’ve loved every moment of it and hope that all of you get this experience at least once.

Sigh. It's over. I hate when a cruise ends; I can only imagine how you must be feeling after all the time you've spent onboard. Thank you for taking the time to let the rest of us enjoy your adventures. I wish you a safe trip home, good health, and look forward to your next travels, whenever they may be.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

John & Diane have a safe trip home and thanks for taking us along on your journey. Please do make a liar of yourself and take that world cruise in 2017, as it sounds great.

Helen

Edited by hpf

Diane & John,

Many thanks for letting us enjoy the wonderful voyage with you. I really appreciate you taking time out of your holiday to keep us updated. Looking forward to your next voyage regardless of where it goes.

Larsen, thanks for that great quote about keeping yourself surrounded by the positive. One of the only negatives about a trip like this is that it can be a bit like high school: petty and just plain weird from time to time. We've had our share of being exposed to this but try to steer around it and surround ourselves with positive people - which has led to meeting some great new people.

Can I tell you about my "first world" problem? Not getting up and reading your daily report with a cup of coffee. I have so enjoyed "our" cruise, and like others, looked forward to the adventure of the day. I don't know why you were surprised at your seating for the Captain's dinner...you are positive, fun, and seem to treat social engagements as just that, an evening to socialize and not an opportunity to pepper your host with controversial issues of the cruise. I will miss your reports and Jeff's pictures on next year's world cruise. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for taking us along. Cherie

Edited by cccole

I too would like to extend my hearty thank you for letting us come along. I looked so forward to my evenings reading posts from afar...I know it's some effort and cost, but it was so fun to read of your adventures.

Thank you again, feel like I almost went myself!

The big question going around was “2016?” The answer was primarily either “No” or “Just a segment.” However, when asked about 2017, the answer was almost always “Yes!” because it has a wonderful new itinerary, sailing west via Hawaii to many WWII battleground areas and then to Korea, Japan and China. We really aren’t sure, but if we go, I’ll make a liar of myself, won’t I?

Not if you only do a segment of the 2017 World Cruise. :) The new itinerary west via Hawaii sounds wonderful.

Thank you once again for sharing your World Cruise experiences, which are such a joy to read. Thanks also for taking the time to list your top ten places.

Edited by MMDown Under

Loved the reports of your cruise. I also followed along with your husbands pictures on Facebook and the two together made me feel like I was almost on the ship with you . I will miss reading about all your adventures each morning. Enjoy being home !!

Thanks so much.

Thanks again for sharing your voyage with us. It was an honor and a pleasure. Your 'attitude of gratitude' was apparent at every turn, and it was a pleasure to read about the trip in that spirit.

Safe travels home!

Edited by localady

i have enjoyed your daily posts and thank you for sharing your adventures. it has been a pleasure.

I hope you reconsider and do the world cruise next year again. With you not doing it and Jeff not doing his blog, what will the winter be like?????

Terri

May 2, 2015 - Day (minus) 3

Arrived safely in San Luis Obispo after flying from

Ft. Lauderdale to Houston to San Francisco to SLO -

and living to tell the tale

Well, here we are at home, with no one to fix our meals, no one to make our bed, and no one to change our toilet paper. At home, whoever gets out of bed last is the one who makes it, and whoever takes the second shower (usually me) wipes it down. We have had the ultimate in spoiling for the last four and a half months, and to add to it, your wonderful comments have made me very happy to have written this blog, and I'll be continuing it whenever we're at sea.

It was a wonderful cruise with some sights that will never be forgotten, visits with old friends that made us feel good, and new friends who will no doubt become old friends over time.

You have given me warm and fuzzy feedback and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that and how much it makes me want to keep writing.

Our travel plans are pretty much up in the air right now (last year when we got home we had three trips already planned), but I'm sure we'll come up with something. Even thought we live in one of the world's most beautiful spots, we have itchy feet and always want to see other places. So . . . I'm sure you'll hear from me again - probably when you least expect it. Again, thanks for traveling with us.

i have enjoyed your daily posts and thank you for sharing your adventures. it has been a pleasure.

I hope you reconsider and do the world cruise next year again. With you not doing it and Jeff not doing his blog, what will the winter be like?????

Terri

My sentiments exactly!! Every morning I would get my IPAD with my coffee and look forward to the new journey and adventures you both were on for the day!

Sad to see it end!!

It has been such a joy every day reading your wonderful experiences and sometimes I felt I was there!

Thank you!

Denise😃