New Years on the MS Ryndam

rafinmd

Definitely invest in a bluetooth keyboard. We got a case with a built-in keyboard for my MIL when she got her iPad and I am extremely jealous if it. I am considering getting one for ours. It's so much easier!

Actually, I have a Bluetooth keyboard. I'm new to this IPAD thing and bought a regular IPAD for my last trip. I found it too big at times and got a mini a week or so ago, the only IPAD I have with me. The mini works with the big Bluetooth keyboard, and I didn't think getting a small keyboard was worth it. There was a lot of stuff in my carryon, so I packed the keyboard in my checked bag. The IPAD is really convenient for hooking up to wifi quickly and when I got it out I wasn't expecting to post. Once unpacked on the ship I'll use the big keyboard if I need to type on the IPAD, but will do my blog on my laptop. Everything has it's good and bad points. At some point I may try a stylus for quick and dirty jobs but mostly I'll either use the screen or the keyboard.

Father, I was on the Statendam last summer and I hope you find it as good as I did.

Mary Ann I've sailed with Jeff at least twice. Looking forward to the chance for a return visit.

Rich, it won't be long now. Melodie, sometimes we have to compromise.

Roy

The first day in Tampa was a good one despite some irritations with the hotel and rental car company. My plan was to spend much of the day at my favorite Florida attraction and I did although not everything went as planned. I put a little too much faith in my GPS leaving the airport and got trapped on I275 across Tampa Bay towards St. Petersburg. I had wanted to cross the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and decided to just go with the flow and continue south, a significant detour in my travels. I was surprised at how wide the bridge was and despite the great vistas over the bay there was not really a lot of feeling of crossing a major bridge. With the detour I arrived at my destination somewhat after 12:30.

Edward W Bok was an early 20th century immigrant and earned a fortune as editor of Ladies Home Journal magazine. He always appreciated the opportunities America gave him and responded with a major gift. He purchased a large as the centerpiece. The tower, the gardens, and a large endowment were his gifts to the American people. A 60-bell carillon rests at the top of the tower. I arrived just in time for the first of the day’s 30-minute concerts. The music carries throughout the grounds but there is a small seating area with a TV monitor showing the performer in action. At 1 and again at 3, Carillon Fellow Julie Zhu performed a variety of music including specific carillon compositions, pop and show tunes, and of course Christmas music. At the end of her second performance she slipped in a bonus, Bach’s prelude in A minor. The time between performances was a chance to walk the lovely grounds.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/btcprogram.pdf

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/tower.jpg

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/zhu.jpg

I started back to Tampa about 4, stopping at my parents graves outside of Lakeland, and at a Panera in Plant City for dinner. It was about 7 when I returned to the hotel for the evening.

I had a parting shot planned but will hold it for another day. On my return from Bok Tower I got the distressing news about the Ryndam crewman who fell/jumped overboard a week ago and just washed up on shore. A tragedy anytime, but especially so over Christmas, and especially sad for the loved ones he leaves behind. Clifford Minej, I’m sorry we won’t meet next week. Rest in peace.

Roy

Thanks, KK and erewhon.

It was a glorious day in Tampa Bay. I spent the morning in the St. Petersburg area. I got a recommendation to try a stylus for my IPAD, and though reluctant about how much use it would get found it very inexpensive and will give it a try. My last time in St. Petersburg was 2 years ago on the Grande Caribe. At that time the Pier in St. Pete was due to close, and the city web site is starting to talk about replacement of the pier. I was quite surprised on checking out the site that it is only partially closed, the Aquarium at the end is definitely closed and vehicles are not allowed but it still seems to be open for pedestrian use.

My sightseeing stop was at the Tampa Bay Automobile Museum. A fairly small museum, the vehicles obviously are mostly vintage, but were selected more for their unique characteristics. They are not always terribly old, an example is a Ford Mustang, generally not a rare car but not normally seen in a 4 wheel drive version. Some of the vehicles that most interested me were a collection of 3 expedition vehicles. One was a wartime Volkswagen in what was a precursor on the “Thing”. There was a 6 wheeled pickup with tandam rear wheels and a half track sedan. Other vehicles that particularly interested me were an early electric vehicle and a wartime vehicle designed to run on charcoal. I spent about an hour in the museum before heading back to Tampa. Sadly, while I was doing this there were Police funerals in New York and just North of Tampa in Tarpon Springs.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/collection.jpg

I stopped at the port in Tampa and looked around for about an hour. It’s a vibrant tourist area with 3 cruise terminals, an Aquarium, a Victory ship, and a lot of shops. I had planned to return in the evening to watch the Carnival Paradise and Vision of the Seas sail away but decided that parking was just a bit too much of a hassle to make it worth while. On the way back to the hotel I scouted out the exact location of the church I hope to visit tomorrow. I plan to take the bus to the 8:30 service, return to the hotel, and take an 11:30 shuttle to the Ryndam.

After dinner I returned my rental car to the airport. I got the feeling transit passengers are somewhat second class citizens in Tampa. The airport has extremely limited smoking areas, and the primary one is at the bus stop. It was so bad I was unable to wait at the bus stop and had to sit on a jersey wall a little down the street. My bus is the one that goes into downtown Tampa and in the morning I will reboard where I got off today and ride the rest of the way into town near the church.

I have a quiet evening in the hotel and I plan to retire soon after finishing this post. Today’s parting shot was inspired by my flight. A piece in the Southwest Magazine indicated that their acquisition of Airtran is just about complete and the final flight under the Airtran name will be December 28. Airtran, rest in peace.

Roy

The first day in Tampa was a good one despite some irritations with the hotel and rental car company. My plan was to spend much of the day at my favorite Florida attraction and I did although not everything went as planned. I put a little too much faith in my GPS leaving the airport and got trapped on I275 across Tampa Bay towards St. Petersburg. I had wanted to cross the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and decided to just go with the flow and continue south, a significant detour in my travels. I was surprised at how wide the bridge was and despite the great vistas over the bay there was not really a lot of feeling of crossing a major bridge. With the detour I arrived at my destination somewhat after 12:30.

Edward W Bok was an early 20th century immigrant and earned a fortune as editor of Ladies Home Journal magazine. He always appreciated the opportunities America gave him and responded with a major gift. He purchased a large as the centerpiece. The tower, the gardens, and a large endowment were his gifts to the American people. A 60-bell carillon rests at the top of the tower. I arrived just in time for the first of the day’s 30-minute concerts. The music carries throughout the grounds but there is a small seating area with a TV monitor showing the performer in action. At 1 and again at 3, Carillon Fellow Julie Zhu performed a variety of music including specific carillon compositions, pop and show tunes, and of course Christmas music. At the end of her second performance she slipped in a bonus, Bach’s prelude in A minor. The time between performances was a chance to walk the lovely grounds.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/btcprogram.pdf

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/tower.jpg

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/zhu.jpg

I started back to Tampa about 4, stopping at my parents graves outside of Lakeland, and at a Panera in Plant City for dinner. It was about 7 when I returned to the hotel for the evening.

I had a parting shot planned but will hold it for another day. On my return from Bok Tower I got the distressing news about the Ryndam crewman who fell/jumped overboard a week ago and just washed up on shore. A tragedy anytime, but especially so over Christmas, and especially sad for the loved ones he leaves behind. Clifford Minej, I’m sorry we won’t meet next week. Rest in peace.

Roy

I also add my condolences to Mr. Minej's family, loved ones and fellow crew members.

A full investigation regarding the circumstances of his death is expected. http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/body-washes-up-on-clearwater-beach/2211536

See you in a few hours, Roy. Socked in with fog up here in Central Florida so it's good to hear Ryndam is in on time.

You are right, TPA is not a hub airport but more of a destination airport, hence the few in-transit facilities.

Roy...

I am loving your posts. I was born and raised in the Lakeland area and spent my youth from Gainesville to Sebring so have visited Tampa many times. Great memories from your descriptions of Bok Tower and the Sunshine Skyway. My favorite restaurant in the whole world is the Columbia in Ybor City. Loved the Ryndam and regret she is going out of service.

Thanks for taking me along with you on this trip.

Himself, if you see this, please tell me which sailing of the Statendam you will be on. We are sailing on her for the 27 July trip to Alaska.

Happy New Year

See you in a few hours, Roy. Socked in with fog up here in Central Florida so it's good to hear Ryndam is in on time.

You are right, TPA is not a hub airport but more of a destination airport, hence the few in-transit facilities.

I hope the fog lifts soon. I assume you are driving, be careful.

Roy

I hope the fog lifts soon. I assume you are driving, be careful.

Roy

We are driving but leaving here around 10ish (depending on the DILs who are riding with us) so the fog should have mostly dissipated by then. Always careful though. :)

Gator, Columbia Restaurant is a landmark so far as I'm concerned. DW and I had our first married meal there on our honeymoon some 36+ years ago. We are happy they have a restaurant in Celebration so we don't have to drive so far....

Edited by 0bnxshs

Gator, Columbia Restaurant is a landmark so far as I'm concerned. DW and I had our first married meal there on our honeymoon some 36+ years ago. We are happy they have a restaurant in Celebration so we don't have to drive so far....

Amen to that. First ate in Ybor city in late 40s.

Honeymooned in St. Pete in '62 and ate there.

We used to RV and loved St. Augustine for having a Columbia.

Safe travels...

Posting from Starbucks Key West. I posted this morning but wen to subscribed threads and posted to my roll call instead of this thread.

When I rose at 5AM the Ryndam was already quite well up Tampa Bay and at the dock (along with the NCL Sun) a little after 6. Predicted fog affected much of the area but Tampa Bay was clear. The Carnival Pride was a couple of hours later (I learned from some Carnival passengers on the hotel shuttle that they were delayed by a medical evacuation and that boarding the Pride would be delayed).

I had made plans for church services in Tampa and left the hotel about 7:30. It was about a 1/3 mile walk to the bus stop, 20 minutes on the bus, and another quarter mile walk to Hyde Park United Methodist Church. In celebration of the holidays the choir and much of the staff had the day off, and a young man and lady from seminary took major parts of the service. They did an excellent job.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/hydepark.pdf

I got back to my hotel about 10 for breakfast and checked out a little after 11. My 11:30 shuttle carried a mix of Ryndam and Carnival Pride passengers for the roughly 20 minute ride to the port. Although the checkin clerk was very weak on how to process my NEXUS card I was still on board by 12:15, and soon thereafter enjoying the Mariner Luncheon (the buttermilk chicken). The ship is quite well decorated for the holidays, actually starting even before boarding with a couple of decorations painted on the hull framing the gangway, and quite an elaborate Santa and Sleigh in the atrium.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/embarkation.pdf

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/entry1.jpg

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/santa.jpg

Royal Caribbean cruisers frequently talk about the “naughty room”. It is less a topic among HAL cruisers but I encountered it today. I left 2 bags with the porters. One was in my room when I returned from lunch, the other wasn’t forthcoming. I mentioned it to my steward Dada along with a request to have the beds separated so I could look out the window. After muster drill the beds were fixed but still no bag. I got a call about 5 that the bag was in the Hudson room. When I went up they asked me if I had liquor in the bag. I had a six-pack of Diet Pepsi but nothing stronger. They looked and quickly said ok. A few minutes later Dada arrived with the no longer missing bag.

I first experienced the new HAL 3-stage muster system in August on the Statendam. At that time I liked the idea but thought communication with the passengers was lacking. Today muster was published at 3:15 and by that time our Cruise Director came on the PA and explained each of the 3 stages. Stage 1 was called at 3PM and stage 2 at 3:05, again with clear instructions on what was happening and our part in the process. The final bell came at 3:15, and again with quite clear and extensive instructions. Overall, the drill went quite well and I heard no mention of anybody failing to attend.

Captain Werner Timmers came on the PA at 4. We had finished bunkering fuel but the delivery barge had not left yet but would soon. The Sun left quite promptly at 4, the last of our lines was hauled in at 4:17 and we were soon on our way. On our way out we passed the American Victory, one of very few remaining Victory (second generation Liberty) ships and the Carnival Pride (returning to it’s Baltimore home in March) which was still bunkering fuel. Once we left the narrow channels I returned to my room and got the message about my bag’s location.

I have 5:30 dining and we were due to pass under the Sunshine Skyway bridge about 6:30. I made a brief visit to my table to inform my tablemates and steward about my plans. I went up to the lido for my main (Penne/Pancetta) course. As I was approaching a table on the pool deck the sun was just dropping below the horizon. I watched our approach to the bridge from the Crow’s

Nest, then up to the top deck for our passing under the bridge. It looked close but the Pride is significantly taller than us so it shouldn’t be that close.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/skyway1.jpg

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/skyway2.jpg

I returned to table 64 about 6:45. It is a 9-top with 2 vacancies last night. The other 3 couples are from around the country. They were just finishing their entrees so the timing worked out quite well.

There was one welcome aboard show, an introduction to the various musical groups. The Cruise Director is John, his surname was never mentioned. The CD and Captain are both people I don’t remember hearing anything about. The Piano Bar entertainer is Jeff, I thought he was probably about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. I thought the Adagio duo was one of the better ones. After the show I got a quick snack in the lido and returned to my room.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/john.jpg

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/jeff.jpg

As today’s parting shot I am composing this post about 9AM local time. I am watching the BBC news and learning that 2014 is ending tragically for a number of travelers. Godspeed to the families of the passengers on the Greek ferry and flight 8501.

Roy

Jacqui, it was certainly not expected.

Somehow I managed to sleep through my IPAD’s alarm and did not wake until 6:15. After a quick coffee I was out on the lower promenade deck for 12 laps, 3 miles of walking with the sun coming up behind clouds near the end of the walk. It was a bit of a strange day, half sea day and half port call.

The Cruise Critic Meet and Greet was at 10 in the Crow’s Nest. It was a bit confusing as it seemed to have been combined with the Veteran’s gathering. I believe David (luvtwotrvl) was there although primarily for the veterans group. Rich (0bnxshs) was part of both groups, which seemed to have formed 2 loosely organized circles.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/greet1.jpg

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/greet2.jpg

We could see Key West and the docked Serenade of the Seas from the Crows Nest and arrived a little before noon. I visited Key West in the 70's when my brother and parents lived in Florida, not returning for almost 40 years. I have been there in 2012 and 2013 on the Crystal Symphony and will return in January on the Maasdam and March on the Grandeur of the Seas. On this visit I just walked around town a bit, dodging a drizzle much of the time. I spent about an hour at Starbucks using fast internet and noted a Coast Guard cutter that I will visit on one of my future cruises. I returned to the Ryndam close to 4 for a late lunch at DiveIn.

All aboard was 5:30, as was dinner, and sunset was 5:48. Key West is famous for it’s sunsets. What I saw in person from the dining room was nice but not special, Cruise Critic member Scrapnana caught a lovely picture on the Ryndam leaving Key West amid lovely colors.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/kwscrapnana.jpg

We had the same 7 of us at dinner along with the same 2 empty chairs. I enjoyed the Oven Roasted Chicken along with coconut soup and mango-blueberry crisp.

We had Captain Werner Timmers welcome toast at 7:30 along with the Ryndam Singers and Dancers in Classique. After the show I was attacked by drowsiness and started falling asleep at my laptop, finally going to bed about 10 without actually doing anything after the show.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/captain.jpg

Today’s parting shot comes from my pre-cruise visit to Bok Tower Gardens, words to live by from Edward W Bok. “Make the world a bit better or more beautiful because you have lived in it.” Amen.

Roy

Thanks, all.

I finished my 5-mile walk on the lower promenade deck about 7:30. It was too dark to notice but we were then about 20 miles off the end of Cuba. I don’t think I am the only one wrestling with keeping awake on this cruise. I was surprised to see listings in “On Location” for Non-denominational services on a 7-day cruise. When I arrived in the Half Moon Room at 8 there was just one other person there. He was the Brother In Law of the Pastor, not a regular HAL chaplain, who had volunteered to lead some services. Sometimes the mind is willing but the body doesn’t cooperate and he never arrived. When the BIL’s wife arrived he led us in a few hymns and readings, a real “When 2 or 3 are gathered in His name.......” experience.

Later in the morning I attended a snippet of the 10AM shore excursion talk, leaving early for the 10:30 galley tour. We saw how the food is prepared and kept to a uniform appearance and exited through the Pinnacle Grill. Captain Timmers’ noon update indicated we were then near Cozumel. He expects a cloudy day in Santo Tomas which should keep the temperature moderate.

In the afternoon Steel Drummer Ravon provided a short lesson in playing the drums. While I demonstrated my complete lack of musical aptitude it was simple enough that even I could produce a more or less recognizable tune. Later in the afternoon came the Royal Dutch tea with

delightful refreshments.

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/steeldrum3.jpg

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/dutchtea.jpg

With the hour we gained leaving Key West sunset now comes before dinner but for today the clouds totally cancelled any chance to view it. There were 5 of us there tonight at table 64 enjoying the service of Gede and Aria. The evening entertainment was comedian Rich Aronovitch. He was not my cup of tea.

As today’s parting shot, when I post this it will be New Years Eve. Have a pleasant and SAFE New Years Eve.

Roy