Luggage Sizes & Best ones to use and other packing tips

BentleyRadcliffe

I love rolling duffles and am amazed how well they pack. Anything larger than 28" and there's too much a chance you could pack over 50 lbs which usually calls for a surcharge from most airlines if you are flying. Make sure it has retractable handle and if there are straps to secure your items after packing, they are helpful.

The shortest answer is - whatever works for you. I am not the kind to try and get everything into a carry on, so I tend to pack what I want within the airline limits (and I like having choices). That said, what works for me...

• I don't use hard sided luggage, because its easier for me to shove the softer sided kind under the bed and out of the way.
  • I always have a carry on in addition to the larger suitcase because you put main luggage out the night before you disembark and need something to put your overnight and last minute items (chargers,etc) in.
  • I find the four wheel spinners are easiest to get around the port, aiport, but I wouldn't buy new suitcases - just use what you got.
  • I use packing cubes -- it makes it easy to put socks, undies, etc into drawers. I also have a mini pop up hamper to keep dirty items together (takes up next to nothing in space) but this is my own quirk and not a real 'must have'
  • I use small travel size shampoo, etc so that they can be thrown out and make room in my suitcase for souviners.
  • They do have laundry service and its fast and pretty cheap, so I packed 3 dining room outfits, and sent them out to clean and reuse.
  • Shoes are heavy, so I pack minimal amounts - flip flops, sneakers, dress shoes. The best advice I got for packing shoes is to remember that they aren't friends - they don't have to be together, use them to fill holes between your clothes, etc.

Pack as you would for any hotel based trip and you will be fine. Have fun, don't stress.

longer cruises we take a 26" hard sided case each... Heys brand

A 7 day cruise I take 21' carry -on each

last trip I tried the bundle method was surprised how much I got in them

I am now wondering if I can get away with small cases for a 3 week land/cruise trip...probably not but I can dream ;)

I changed my approach on this after talking to an experienced cruiser. Please note, we have to fly to every cruise, and that means no liquids in the carry-on. Which means the carry-on must act as the bag that we need to use the last night of the cruise - the toiletries we need that night are therefore in the carry-on - oops - a problem once we get to the airport

I used to take only a modest-size rolling duffle, plus the carry-on bag. But then, when I got to the airport before flying home, I had to open the carry-on and get all the toiletries out and into my checked bag before security. Major pain. Here's what my cruising friend does.

He brings a big rolling suitcase, and leaves it partly empty. Just because it's big doesn't mean you have to fill it. Then, at the airport before the flight home, he puts his carry-on bag right into the big suitcase and checks the one bag with everything in it.

This works for me. Just don't fill that big suitcase up with souvenirs!

Looking for info pertaining to what size luggage to use, what brands are the best, & other packing details would be most helpful:)

I have different luggage for different modes of travel.

• Road trips, I carry multiple small pieces of carry-ons that makes it easy to cram in my small sports car.
  • Flying? Medium sized suitcases so they are not too heavy on the 50lb average. I used to travel with large suitcases until I realized a significant percentage of the weight went to the suitcase itself (handles, wheels).
  • Cruising? Without a plane, I will get the largest suitcase to haul everything as there is no weight limit. But don't go to large... my medium suitcase could not fit under the bed of the Wonder's Oceanview cabin.

Some more tips...

• seriously get a digital luggage scale. Saved me so much money and stress to avoid weight surcharges.
  • is your suitcase black? So are countless others. Put some color tape to make your suitcase quickly identifyable.
  • hard sided cases don't last long, but do offer better crush protection compared to soft sided cases (I was transporting San Francisco fortune cookies--yum).
  • zippered suitcases are too easy to be compromised. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI
  • sometimes the best way to buy a suitcase is when you arrive at your destination... to bring back all your souveniors!

Edited by xlxo

xlxo, there is amazingly light large luggage available now. My huge purple suitcase weighs a little over 6 lbs. It is made of some fabric that is really tough - been to Europe and back with multiple plane changes, plus Halifax and back, with no damage.

I changed my approach on this after talking to an experienced cruiser. Please note, we have to fly to every cruise, and that means no liquids in the carry-on. Which means the carry-on must act as the bag that we need to use the last night of the cruise - the toiletries we need that night are therefore in the carry-on - oops - a problem once we get to the airport

I used to take only a modest-size rolling duffle, plus the carry-on bag. But then, when I got to the airport before flying home, I had to open the carry-on and get all the toiletries out and into my checked bag before security. Major pain. Here's what my cruising friend does.

He brings a big rolling suitcase, and leaves it partly empty. Just because it's big doesn't mean you have to fill it. Then, at the airport before the flight home, he puts his carry-on bag right into the big suitcase and checks the one bag with everything in it.

This works for me. Just don't fill that big suitcase up with souvenirs!

That's a good idea for those who don't bring any cameras, netbooks/laptop/tablet, jewelry, valuables.........

Anything you check, you should count on losing. There is always the chance of theft and loss from checked luggage.

We have a room full of luggage we no longer use :(. The defining factor (for us) is the weight of luggage and we now buy the lightest weight luggage that we can find. With airlines limiting bags to 50 pounds, and charging high fees (often $50) for an extra piece....we choose to save weight. Our newer lightweight large bags weigh 4-6 pounds less then our older luggage...and this different is significant.

Hank

We will always be flying, regardless of it being a one week trip like we are on now, or a three or four month trip that has weather ranging from one extreme to the other.

We have very light weight Samsonite soft side luggage, and we choose what we take depending on the length and circumstances of the trip.

We have three 29". Two 26", and two 22".

Packing cubes make packing and living with what we packed much easier. We have a pretty good assortment of sizes. You can find them on eBags.

TravelPro 22" (short trips) and 29" (longer trips) soft bags work well for me. I've chosen to avoid spinners after observing a high number of newish bags with wheels snapped off discarded into trash. The spinners also seem difficult to push along uneven surfaces like city sidewalks. So I'm keeping with the pull-behinds as those have served me well.

That's a good idea for those who don't bring any cameras, netbooks/laptop/tablet, jewelry, valuables.........

Anything you check, you should count on losing. There is always the chance of theft and loss from checked luggage.

Hello, did I say we were putting our devices or money in the carry-on and checking it? Of course not. I said we were putting our carry-on bag, containing shampoo, toothpaste, etc., (not to mention, jammies, underwear, bathing suits, etc.,) that we need on the last evening of the cruise into our giant, lightweight, half-empty purple suitcase. That's so we don't have to open everything up on the airport floor and transfer stuff while people rush around us toward security.

As for jewelry, I don't bring any gems of any value on my travels. I'm not worried about people ripping off my suitcase. I don't want them ripping off an earlobe.

TravelPro 22" (short trips) and 29" (longer trips) soft bags work well for me. I've chosen to avoid spinners after observing a high number of newish bags with wheels snapped off discarded into trash. The spinners also seem difficult to push along uneven surfaces like city sidewalks. So I'm keeping with the pull-behinds as those have served me well.

Ditto! Travelpro, 22s and 29s, NO spinners. If they're good enough for the airline crews....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My 29" and bigger rollers are now relegated to duty as storage bags. I have a variety of 20", 22" and 25" bags, rolling and not, and a couple of combos (rollers with back straps). I pack a small bag inside of the bigger bag; it comes out when I buy things on the trip. I have status on my airline of choice, so I don't have to pay for excess bags. I haven't missed anything and I have plenty of choices with what I can pack in the bags. If I need larger toiletries than what I can get at the hotel or on the ship, I'll buy at a local store. I can pack my camera, iPad Mini, Bose QC-15s, etc. in the daypack or cross-body I carry.

Edited by slidergirl

Highly recommend the Ebags branded Mother Lode rolling duffles. Unless you need the suiter function of a "box" suitcase, these work quite well. Lots of thought in the design, including bright orange linings. Yes, it's not chic, but you don't misplace anything due to black on black. I've had to replace two of them, but that is after many years of hard travel. On a dollar per trip basis, they have been a good investment.

I also echo the suggestion about packing cubes/folders. Truly helps with organization, both in the suitcase and in your cabin/hotel room.

Finally, as to "spinners". Because of the external wheel design, these bags have smaller carrying capacity than "two-wheelers" of the same overall size. Also, the wheels are exposed, making them more susceptible to impact damage. Whether having those extra wheels is important is something only you can determine, but know that there are two big tradeoffs that you need to recognize.

We have used our old faithfuls, traditionally soft sided that have clips to attach carryons and wheels that work.

They are not that old, but look used from the wear and tear of flying and being thrown around.

The squish down nicely to fit under the bed.

I will hate when I have to retire these.

Got them at a super KOHLS sale, 60%off with an additional coupon for 25% off.

Should have bought two sets.

Sea ya

I think that you will fill a suitcase no matter what size you buy. And everything in it will seem essential to your trip. You may want to select a size that you are comfortable handling depending of course on where and how you travel. Going from home to airport to cruise ship is one thing. Shelping the damm bag in trains, cars, ferrys, what have you, is an entirely different proposition. We are down to a 20 and a 21 inch respectively. For a week or for three months. This what we are taking in two days for a three month trip to SE Asia that includes a cruise. Clearly, this approach is not for everyone but it works for us.

We have had the same luggage for quite some time. We shop for wheels, zipper, weight, and covering. Lots of luggage brands have low price product that is sold in the outlets and in the 70 percent off sales so shopping on 'regular price' can be very misleading. Like others, we have a storage locker with several pieces of luggage that we no longer use. It is too large and we cannot comfortably handle it on our own.

Like others, we have a storage locker with several pieces of luggage that we no longer use. It is too large and we cannot comfortably handle it on our own.

Sugggestion.....next time you are donating clothes to Salvation Army/Goodwill/insert your own charity, why not put them in one of those suitcases and make it a combined donation. If you don't use the suitcase, and won't use it, it serves as both a donation and as a container for the clothes you are giving.

;)

Edited by FlyerTalker

I'll agree with FlyerTalker on the eBags Motherlode series. I don't have one of their rollers, but I have the 20" and 22" bags. Can carry with handles or with the backpack straps (which are nicely hidden when not used). I learned about these from fellow road warriors back in the day… My other bags are from Osprey. Bullet-proof and they have a lifetime guarantee. I can handle any of these myself - on planes, trains, cobblestones, elevator-less buildings - one of the most important factors. Since I have a little sports car, the size of my luggage is also dependent on what can fit in there - the 25" is as big as it goes ;)

I use some packing cubes and folders, but I'm not wedded to them when I travel. I like the folder most of all when I'm not rolling clothes. It keeps everything a uniform size.

Re older suitcases. We have a daughter who flies in from the 'sticks' to shop. Well, at least more in the sticks than where we live. Typically one of our old suitcases goes back with her...filled with shopping. And we still have a few more for her future trips. They are becoming fewer and fewer thanks to on line shopping.

We have only one condition.....we do not want to see it again.

You are correct though. I have done volunteer work with the local food bank. It is not unusual to have a client come in with a large suitcase in which to take home their order.

Edited by iancal

I have five of the IT (International Traveller) suitcases. My least favorite is the one I thought would be my favorite. It has a hard sided bottom and a soft sided, expandable top. It is the heaviest piece (about nine pounds) and is difficult to pack because it zips in the middle (like fully hard sided luggage). I love all my other pieces. The carry-ons weigh less than four pounds and the large (29-30 inch) weigh between five and six pounds. I prefer the spinners to the two wheeled.

DW bought a Rick Steves 21 inch carry on. She loves it. I inherited her 20 inch red something with great wheels. Good to go, and good for carry on. Even if we check, we are never more than about 13kg/28LBS per back and usually more like 10kg.

Edited by iancal

longer cruises we take a 26" hard sided case each... Heys brand

A 7 day cruise I take 21' carry -on each

last trip I tried the bundle method was surprised how much I got in them

I am now wondering if I can get away with small cases for a 3 week land/cruise trip...probably not but I can dream ;)

If you can do it for 1 week, you can pack a 21" carry on for 3 weeks. Pack two tops for each pair of pants, bundling you should be able to fit at least 6 tops. There are quite a lot of threads about carryon packing with tons of great ideas for packing light.

I have travelled a lot in Europe by train, and having one carryon size bag of modest weight is practical. Especially if you have connections to make, the single bag approach takes a lot of the work our of the trip.