Concerned.....Adventure of the Seas

TMcGovey

Hello all,

I am a little concerned...I booked AOS in November out of San Juan, PR sailing Feb 8th-15th. I have cruised once before, but I was very young and it was a long longtime ago on The Song of America. We are very excited about our trip but with that excitement I am becoming concerned.

The problem is that I started reading AOS reviews from both Southhampton and San Juan. I know reviews can/are very subjective, But there must be some truth to these reviews, Right?

I have read many great reviews too, dont get me wrong. We are the kind of people who can make the best of most situations so nothing drastic is happening, just concerned. Apologies for the ramble. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hello all,

I am a little concerned...I booked AOS in November out of San Juan, PR sailing Feb 8th-15th. I have cruised once before, but I was very young and it was a long longtime ago on The Song of America. We are very excited about our trip but with that excitement I am becoming concerned.

The problem is that I started reading AOS reviews from both Southhampton and San Juan. I know reviews can/are very subjective, But there must be some truth to these reviews, Right?

I have read many great reviews too, dont get me wrong. We are the kind of people who can make the best of most situations so nothing drastic is happening, just concerned. Apologies for the ramble. Anyone have any thoughts?

What are your concerns?

I have sailed the AOS many times (see signature) and it is by far my favorite ship.

Hello all,

just be patient. Take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Enjoy your cruise

Im not really sure haha. Not as many dining options as other ships i guess. There have been so many post with people complaining about things that i would never think to complain about. I guess I am just over thinkin. Thank you for the confidence booster with your experiance on the AOS!

Hello all, ........

The problem is that I started reading AOS reviews from both Southhampton and San Juan. I know reviews can/are very subjective, But there must be some truth to these reviews, Right?......

Hi,

one o'clock in the middle of the night and I am on cruise critic ...... am I crazy or what ?

But I see that you are on cruise critic as well at this time too .... so here are my comments.

We just got off the Vision two weeks ago ..... I have read many, many reviews and comments ...... many of them were very negative.

Our cruise was as good as to be expected by us ...... not perfect and perhaps not great ...... but good ..... it is a mass market cruise line ....... thousands of people are on board ...... some nicer than others ..... some maybe a little pushy or rude ...... some things maybe will not be perfect for you ...... maybe the beef will be a little tough - so get something else .....

maybe your soup will not be as hot as you want , or other small thing will go wrong ...... so what ?

Do not compare with Song of America ( we sailed that one too) as well as the AOS. Some things will be different ...... many years went by ..... some things will be better.... and some you will miss - if you try to compare.

Just enjoy your ship and what it got to offer and make your vacation as good as you want .... and BTW it is a very nice ship.... forget them reviews.

Edited by wieslaw

I've read positive and negative reviews about every ship we've cruised on. As you mentioned, some people had posted complaints about things you would never think to complain about. That perspective is probably key to the kind of cruise you will have. Everyone has a different threshold about what gets under their skin.

One cruise we were on recently a cruiser complained profusely about everything on the ship. We had an absolutely great cruise. It does make one want to ask, "Are we on the same ship?".

Sounds like you will have a great time.

I have read a lot of negative things about different ships that make me feel a bit :confused: Then I remember that everyone is different and what matters to one person, won't matter to another; similarly, what matters to me won't matter to someone else. It doesn't mean anyone is wrong to feel that way, everyone is just wired differently.

I can understand you being concerned but when you go, with clearly the open mind that you have, you will form your own opinion.

Enjoy the ship and the destinations. Let us know how you got on when you get back :)

I havent cruised on AOS yet but I am in May and I am not worried about the reviews at all. I know its not going to be as new as some of the ships ive been on but I wont let that bother me. :D

When I read alot of the reviews on here I take them with a grain of salt as well

Given the newer, more opulent ships that been sailing since 2001 when AOS first sailed, I think many of the bad reviews stem from unrealistic expectations. And I hAve heard that some aspects of the ship a are showing their age, although many were addressed in dry dock this past spring.

That being said AOS is still my favorite ship. So much so that we will be getting married on her in April. For us, it is the perfect size, and as with many of "not new" ships you have all of the amenities without losing the sense of adventure of feeling like you are on a ship. Also, and maybe we were just lucky, but both times we were on AOS we have had absolutely the BEST crew we have ever had on any ship or on any line.

Finally, we're in the caribbean, how bad could it be?

Im not really sure haha. Not as many dining options as other ships i guess. There have been so many post with people complaining about things that i would never think to complain about.

That's the key, right there. Some people look for things to complain about. Everything could be perfect for 90% of the passengers but that other 10% will find things to complain about. You said you are the kind of people that can make the best of most situations. That attitude will be all you need to enjoy your vacation. If you go looking for a good time, you'll have one. If you go looking to find things wrong, you won't be able to enjoy your vacation.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

I echo on what has been posted thus far but as a rule of thumb, I throw out both the comments over the top best ever as well as the worst ever and settle for those in between. My DW and I are pretty happy just being on the cruise away from the cold and the drudgery of my job. We will be on the AOS in Mar 2106 and are really looking forward to it.

We just returned from a Christmas cruise aboard the Adventure. Sorry to report that we found the ship very dated. Without doubt it was clean, but the decor was shameful. The common areas while clean where dated, and the cabin was so ugly I couldn't believe the decor was ever in fashion. We were taken aback, but got used to it in a couple of days.

On a positive note, the size of the ship was just perfect - not too big, or too small. The southern caribbean has the most amazing ports. I am sure you will have an amazing time, just be forewarned that the ship is long due for a reno (fyi...a lady at the airport said she was given a renovated cabin without knowing so it looks like they might be slowing working on updating the cabins)

Hello all,

Im not really sure haha. Not as many dining options as other ships i guess. There have been so many post with people complaining about things that i would never think to complain about. I guess I am just over thinkin. Thank you for the confidence booster with your experiance on the AOS!

We just spent two weeks on AD (11/29 to 12/14). It was fantastic. Agree with only one specialty restaurant (Giovanni's) there aren't as many dining options. However, the MDR does a really nice job at dinner. We aren't crazy over a couple night's menus...but that is a fleet wide issue not ship specific. We did WJ a couple of nights for dinner and it was very nice. The CD and staff were fabulous. The officers were very visible. The entertainment certainly could be better. However, Love and Marriage and The Quest are fun night time events.

Any specific questions or concerns, we will try to answer. We love going in/out of SJU and had a great time on AD.

I think most people are going to post their worse experiences instead of their best experiences. I have seen some postings where people are going to complain about everything. That is just the way people are. They find the worse out of everything. Enjoy the ship and have a great time. I am going on AOS for the 1st time in Feb. and I am excited.

I sailed on the Adventure last March, just prior to dry dock. While the Adventure had a mechanical issue at the time and we did not sail until 3 days later, Royal made it all good in the end and we had a fantastic time.

The Adventure is a very nice ship, lots to do, plenty to eat! ENJOY your trip and don't fret the bad reviews.

You will have a great cruise on the Adventure. I recently posted an Oasis class / Adventure comparison as we had done 4 Oasis / Allure cruises and then did the Adventure a few weeks ago. Hope that did not make you feel bad about your upcoming cruise.

For us, the better on-board activities (especially the shows) on Oasis class fit our style better. I also trade options for a living and the high speed internet on the Oasis class allows me to do a few trades during the week to pay for the cruise.

We also sailed on the Song of America for our first cruise. A lot has changed since then.

The southern Caribbean routes on the Adventure have fewer days at sea so less time to worry about on board activities. You have some great destinations to explore.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also sailed out of PR on AOS when the prop system failed. Eventually we sailed; missed a few ports; had a great time in all ports except St. Croix - that place was a dump. RCCL gave us our money back and 50 percent off our upcoming cruise on QOS. It was late but fair. Stuff happens, it's how it's handled that tells the story. Go on your cruise with an open mind and no preconceived worries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sailed in the adventure and didn't like it at all

I'm emerald level and so for far the only ship that I won't see myself booking again is the adventure. Embarkation is a big mess since you have to wait outside the terminal for long hours. I won't say the ship is in bad condition that it doesn't have a wow factor. That's doesn't bother me at all since I'm on vacation anyways but might add to the bottle of water.

My waiter was not happy at all and of stateroom attendant was a mess.

At one point I was like " can anything else go wrong ". Port of call are amazing, I like the beaches and they are beautiful. I was traveling with friends and one of my friend luggages got broken and it was brand new.

I'm not saying you will get the same experience but indefinitely not trying that's ship ever again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We cruised on the Adventure 4 years ago and loved it. The ship is beautiful, the staff takes excellent care of you. I realize it's been a few years since we sailed on her, but we really had a great time. The only problem was a really long embarkation in Puerto Rico. Heck, I'm on vacation, we survived!

Enjoy your Cruise, you will have a blast!

Myra