My first cruise

Max49

We did it. My wife and I booked the Emerald for 7 nights from Houston to the western Caribean.

We booked a Balcony cabin as I have no idea ,for sure, if I will like being on a ship with 3 or 4 thousand other people for 7 days. At least with a balcony I can be out in the fresh air and have some quiet or solitude when I feel like it.

I feel like an alcoholic asking this but since booking I have started doing some research and found things I did'nt know before booking. I am hoping that I have found some bad info that is not correct.

1- I read we can only take 1 bottle of wine or champagne, at embarkation, PP to our cabin.

Can this be substituted for something else with the same alcohol content like pre made margarita or any thing else?

2- I read a list of the beers they sell on board, Bud Light nor no other Anheuser Busch product is listed, probably the only beer I enjoy. Is this a typo or and accidental omittance?

3- I have found so much info, I'm not positive just where I found it but it was some where on the princess site that you can order a pint (375 ML) of liquor by way of room service for about $25 or $35 + tip, to your cabin to enjoy on your balcony. However, this is a cruise to the Caribean and Mexico where Margaritas are very popular but Tequila is not on the list.

Vodka, Gin, Whiskey, Bourbon etc are all there but no Tequila or Magarita.

I hope some one can tell me this is all incorrect. It's like a $4000 trip and I have never been on a cruise ship before and I would love to sit on my balcony in middle of the ocean and sip on a Margarita. To me, that does'nt seem to be too much to ask for.

I'm beginning to see why "Rum Runners Smuggling Kit" , which I had never heard of before, is pretty well known on cruise forums.

One more question, Do many people buy their excursions independently, off the ship rather than from the cruise company? Like most things on the ship they seem to be pretty proud of them.

Thanks and I'd really appreciate some opinions on what I found and if they sound correct.

If any one is holier than me and wants to pound on me like they do when they ask about smuggling alcohol on board, well I can take that too.

Thanks for sharing your cruise experiences with me.

Max

Welcome and congrats on your first booking!!

1. Sorry no substituting.

Rum Runners - If you wish, you can take your chances. If caught, the smuggled booze and container is discarded. Hope you don't mind if I don't pound you for considering smuggling booze. That is up to you (and Princess)

We have not taken a Princess cruise in years. Check the Roll Call for your cruise. Often people plan a private tour and need others to fill the vehicle and split the cost.

You cannot substitute your allotment of 1 bottle of 750 ML wine for alcohol. If you bring alcohol with you and they see it then it's taken away and returned the last night of your cruise.

You can take independent tours. They are usually better then the ships excursions because they are small vans not 44 of your ship mates who have to take a long time to get on and off the bus at each "view spot"

I am unaware of the ability to buy bottles of alcohol on board at any cost to be delivered to your cabin.

If you paid $4000 for 2 people for a balcony cabin it seems a little excessive unless it's over spring break or other school holiday.

Edited by cruzsnooze

My only advice - having a husband who had many concerns about cruising prior to his "conversion" - is to perhaps change your sailing to a shorter one. Yes - there are some differences between short and longer voyages, but at the end of the day they are more alike than different - and gives you the chance to test the waters - pun intended. We have a short cruise coming up (4 nights) that years back would have been our "max" and now way too short, but fits work schedules - just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just returned from this same cruise last Sunday. You will enjoy it!! We enjoyed the crew and ports and had great weather also.

Sorry but the tequila is not on the list. We brought on wine, as well as pre-ordered 375 ml bottles as you mentioned (vodka, rum). We did visit the Wheelhouse Bar for Happy Hour 2-for-1 margaritas. 3-4pm daily. 😃

I'm not expert either, on excursions or otherwise, but am happy to share our version of experiences. We sailed this western itinerary twice and the first time we didn't book anything. We just wanted to check it all out without a rush in port. This time, we booked outside of Princess on private excursions, based upon what we wanted to do at each port.

The cruise line offers very good excursions. We have booked through Princess, on a Med cruise, and that was because we didn't want the ship leaving without us. That to me was important as a newbie.

This last cruise, we had two new-cruisers in our group. They have previously travelled extensively and both loved the experience at sea. Even though Emerald was at capacity, which yours may not be, it didn't feel too crowded in their opinion.

I feel like an alcoholic asking this but since booking I have started doing some research and found things I did'nt know before booking. I am hoping that I have found some bad info that is not correct.

Congratulations on the cruise! We did a similar cruise last year on the Caribbean Princess and loved it. First, you can find plenty of places on the ship where you can enjoy peace and quiet. Your balcony is a good start.

1- I read we can only take 1 bottle of wine or champagne, at embarkation, PP to our cabin.

Can this be substituted for something else with the same alcohol content like pre made margarita or any thing else?

As far as I know, no. Only wine is permitted.

2- I read a list of the beers they sell on board, Bud Light nor no other Anheuser Busch product is listed, probably the only beer I enjoy. Is this a typo or and accidental omittance?

I think it is. here a page listing one of their drink package. At the bottom you will see bud and bud light...http://www.princess.com/cruise_vacation_planning/groups/Group_Bar_&_Beverage_Packages.pdf

3- I have found so much info, I'm not positive just where I found it but it was some where on the princess site that you can order a pint (375 ML) of liquor by way of room service for about $25 or $35 + tip, to your cabin to enjoy on your balcony. However, this is a cruise to the Caribean and Mexico where Margaritas are very popular but Tequila is not on the list.

I hope some one can tell me this is all incorrect. It's like a $4000 trip and I have never been on a cruise ship before and I would love to sit on my balcony in middle of the ocean and sip on a Margarita. To me, that does'nt seem to be too much to ask for.

I have no doubt that tequila is available. See the website listed above.

One more question, Do many people buy their excursions independently, off the ship rather than from the cruise company? Like most things on the ship they seem to be pretty proud of them.

We always use the Princess excursions. I do know many people book their own tours as well. On big advantage of Princess excursions is that they will wait for you if you are late. No so for independent Tours. Last year we took a tour from Cozumel to the main land. We got back about an hour late. The ship was still there. There is noting more sickening than rushing back to port only to see the ship slowly pulling away.....

On thing I do recommend it whichever way you go on the excursions-Book as early as possible. Many of the most popular excursions will fill up and you may be shut out.

You can actually take as much wine/champagne as you like. It can only be 750ml bottles and any in excess of ONE bottle PER PERSON in the cabin (over 21 of course) will incur a corkage fee of $15 per bottle - regardless of where it is consumed on the ship. You can, of course, also purchase bottles of wine onboard and you can take them to your cabin.

Liquor to be consumed in your cabin can be purchased from Princess. You can order it onboard or pre-order it. The items that can be purchased in this manner are extremely limited (and disappointing). The following is taken directly from the Princess Gifts & Services Brochure which can be found on the Princess web site:

Spirits:

Bourbon:

Jim Beam (375ml bottle)

Item #2330 – $17

Crown Royal

(375ml bottle)

Item #2331 – $22

Jack Daniel’s

(375ml bottle)

Item #2332 – $26

Scotch:

Cutty Sark (375ml bottle)

Item #2338 – $17

Johnny Walker Red Label

(375ml bottle)

Item #2339 – $24

Cognac:

Courvoisier VSOP

(350ml bottle)

Item #2344 – $30

Vodka:

Skyy (375ml bottle)

Item #2350 – $17

Absolut (375ml bottle)

Item #2351 – $20

Rum:

Bacardi White (375ml bottle)

Item #2357 – $17

Cruzan Coconut Rum

(375ml bottle)

Item #2358 – $17

Gin:

Gordon’s (375ml bottle)

Item #2364 – $17

Bombay Sapphire

(375ml bottle)

Item #2365 – $22

Liqueur:

Irish Cream

(350ml bottle)

Item #2371 – $19

Edited by Thrak

We did it. My wife and I booked the Emerald for 7 nights from Houston to the western Caribean.

We booked a Balcony cabin as I have no idea ,for sure, if I will like being on a ship with 3 or 4 thousand other people for 7 days. At least with a balcony I can be out in the fresh air and have some quiet or solitude when I feel like it.

I'm beginning to see why "Rum Runners Smuggling Kit" , which I had never heard of before, is pretty well known on cruise forums.

Thanks and I'd really appreciate some opinions on what I found and if they sound correct.

If any one is holier than me and wants to pound on me like they do when they ask about smuggling alcohol on board, well I can take that too.

Thanks for sharing your cruise experiences with me.

Max

Max, there are several beer brands available on Princess ships. This link takes you to a post listing many of them - including Bud products:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34534899&postcount=3

And while you can't get the small bottles of tequila, you can go to any bar and get your margarita to take back to you cabin/balcony.

A word about bringing alcohol other than wine on board: if you do try to bring it, and it is discovered in your luggage, it is likely it will be confiscated and destroyed. If you buy it in a port, and turn it in when reboarding, they will likely hold it for you until the night before disembarcation.

I hope you have a great cruise.

Howard

Hi Max,

Don't forget that there's no "open container" law onboard these ships. It's perfectly acceptable to grab whatever you want from one of the many bars and take it back to your stateroom! ...Including your choice of several frozen drinks.

You can find the Emerald Princess bar menus here:

http://zydecocruiser.net/Princess/EmeraldPrincess/ep_bar.htm

I'll be on the EP next week doing the Western Caribbean itinerary (Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel).

I hope you enjoy your first cruise! Do some research and be ready to make the most of it -- whatever that might mean to you.

My biggest advice to any new cruiser is to get to your embarkation city at least a day ahead.

As stated above, no on bringing on alcohol other than wine. You can bring on water and soda, if you wish.

There are areas on board the ships that you can find quiet. We have never booked a balcony cabin, but we do study up on the deck plans (they're on the Princess website along with lots of other great info -- look for the "Cruise Answer Place." I'm not much of a drinker, but it seems the bars offer a great variety of mixed drinks. Check the Patter, the daily newsletter, for any drink specials.

As for ports, I'm the family researcher. I always get some guide books (your local library should have some you can check out, and if you find one you really like, you can get the latest edition in bookstores or on Amazon). I also google each port and find the tourism sites to get more info. I also look at the excursion offered through the ship, which will give me more ideas. Most of the ports we've been to, we've walked or taxi'ed into the town and done our own thing (my hubby long ago decided he's not going to be renting a car on any cruise...and he's stuck with that). When we do book an excursion, we've gone through the cruiseline and haven't been on a vehicle with "44 other passengers."

If you went to a resort, you'd be in a hotel with thousands.....so don't worry about "how many"...the ship is designed to handle the max number of passengers. No worries! You all will NOT be doing the same thing at the same time....that's a guarantee. It's all good!

Congratulations!

We booked all our excursions through Princess on our first cruise. If you end up late to port Princess will either wait for you or make arrangements to get to the next port. If you book an independent excursion and are late back to port you may find yourself looking for transportation to your next port. There is a lot of comfort in knowing you'll be taken care of :)

Have you been to both your Roll Call and the ports of call forums? You can get a lot of good information there. If you decide to book independent tours do your research (I use the ports of call forums and trip advisor). As mentioned earlier, the private excursions are usually much smaller and less expensive. We usually end up doing a combination of Princess/Private tours.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

For what's it's worth, I have smuggled alcohol aboard on numerous occasions, on the initial boarding and at various ports. I found you need to be discrete about it. Stuffing a bottle of vodka or tequila in your suitcase in a water bottle, or many, should be just fine, same for a port situation (in a backpack).

However - do NOT expect it to pass the security inspection - if it's discovered it will be tossed. It's a gamble, which may be worth it or not ...

Personally, I prefer microbrews which are not served onboard, so I choose to smuggle them.

In the end, simply enjoy the cruise....

Cheers!

...We booked a Balcony cabin as I have no idea ,for sure, if I will like being on a ship with 3 or 4 thousand other people for 7 days. At least with a balcony I can be out in the fresh air...

I think a balcony is a great choice for a first cruise. Cruise ship cabins tend to be smaller than hotel rooms, so you will get a better feeling after this cruise as to whether or not you want to be able to open a door and step outside for some fresh air. Some feel uncomfortable in a windowless inside cabin or even an ocean-view cabin, since their windows generally don't open, either. Others, including myself, don't mind insides when that is all my budget allows.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Ryndam2002

Unless you really like to sit alone, you may not spend as much time on your balcony as you may first think. There is so much going on all over the ship, and there are plenty of quiet areas on the decks in both the sun and shade, for example the Terrace Pool area.

The Emerald Princess carries 3,100 passengers double occupancy. That number swells during school holidays when there are lots of youth on board and cabins have a 3rd or 4th passenger in them. The ship does not feel crowded.

Join the roll call in the Princess Roll Call section of CC. There you may find some private tours being organized.

Get rid of all your alcoholic and non alcoholic issues. Consider purchasing the all inclusive beverage package @$56.35/pp/day, total $394.45 for the cruise. Here are the details:

"Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value). Bottles of wine are NOT included in the package; however, when purchased in the bars, dining rooms, or in the stateroom, will be available at a 40% discount from the menu price. Applicable to all bottles below $100 retail. Note: This package is available for consumption at all bars, public areas and dining venues (not room service and excludes mini bar items). Price includes service charge."

Wow you guys are great. So helpful and quick too.

Thanks for all the well wishes , we are getting really excited, especially my wife, well me too, We are booked for the 2-15-15 cruise 12th floor, Aloha deck, A742 , I think. Am I allowed to fish from my balcony? :D Just Kiddin.

The cruise alone did'nt cost me $4000 but with the plane tickets, hotel, transfers excursions and drinks , I'm sure it will be around there.

You cannot substitute your allotment of 1 bottle of 750 ML wine for alcohol. If you bring alcohol with you and they see it then it's taken away and returned the last night of your cruise.

You can take independent tours. They are usually better then the ships excursions because they are small vans not 44 of your ship mates who have to take a long time to get on and off the bus at each "view spot"

I am unaware of the ability to buy bottles of alcohol on board at any cost to be delivered to your cabin.

If you paid $4000 for 2 people for a balcony cabin it seems a little excessive unless it's over spring break or other school holiday.

My only advice - having a husband who had many concerns about cruising prior to his "conversion" - is to perhaps change your sailing to a shorter one. Yes - there are some differences between short and longer voyages, but at the end of the day they are more alike than different - and gives you the chance to test the waters - pun intended. We have a short cruise coming up (4 nights) that years back would have been our "max" and now way too short, but fits work schedules - just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks but , too late now, we are booked for 2-15-15 on the aloha deck , 12 th floor cabin A742

We just returned from this same cruise last Sunday. You will enjoy it!! We enjoyed the crew and ports and had great weather also.

Sorry but the tequila is not on the list. We brought on wine, as well as pre-ordered 375 ml bottles as you mentioned (vodka, rum). We did visit the Wheelhouse Bar for Happy Hour 2-for-1 margaritas. 3-4pm daily. 😃

I'm not expert either, on excursions or otherwise, but am happy to share our version of experiences. We sailed this western itinerary twice and the first time we didn't book anything. We just wanted to check it all out without a rush in port. This time, we booked outside of Princess on private excursions, based upon what we wanted to do at each port.

The cruise line offers very good excursions. We have booked through Princess, on a Med cruise, and that was because we didn't want the ship leaving without us. That to me was important as a newbie.

This last cruise, we had two new-cruisers in our group. They have previously travelled extensively and both loved the experience at sea. Even though Emerald was at capacity, which yours may not be, it didn't feel too crowded in their opinion.

That's neat, and encouraging news. I hope we get good weather too but it sounds like the Emerald is pretty booked up for this cruise too.

We will be in A742 Aloha deck. Is that near where you were?

Unless you really like to sit alone, you may not spend as much time on your balcony as you may first think. There is so much going on all over the ship, and there are plenty of quiet areas on the decks in both the sun and shade, for example the Terrace Pool area.

The Emerald Princess carries 3,100 passengers double occupancy. That number swells during school holidays when there are lots of youth on board and cabins have a 3rd or 4th passenger in them. The ship does not feel crowded.

Join the roll call in the Princess Roll Call section of CC. There you may find some private tours being organized.

Get rid of all your alcoholic and non alcoholic issues. Consider purchasing the all inclusive beverage package @$56.35/pp/day, total $394.45 for the cruise. Here are the details:

"Take advantage of our All-Inclusive Beverage Package which includes any individual beverage item, such as soda, water, cocktails, spirits, wines, beers, coffee and tea, up to $10 (retail value). Bottles of wine are NOT included in the package; however, when purchased in the bars, dining rooms, or in the stateroom, will be available at a 40% discount from the menu price. Applicable to all bottles below $100 retail. Note: This package is available for consumption at all bars, public areas and dining venues (not room service and excludes mini bar items). Price includes service charge."

I looked at that,m but you have to buy it for every one in your cabin and my wife very seldom has one fancy girly drink and that;s all, so I would have to pay about $800, and that would really make me feel like an alkieholic.

For what's it's worth, I have smuggled alcohol aboard on numerous occasions, on the initial boarding and at various ports. I found you need to be discrete about it. Stuffing a bottle of vodka or tequila in your suitcase in a water bottle, or many, should be just fine, same for a port situation (in a backpack).

However - do NOT expect it to pass the security inspection - if it's discovered it will be tossed. It's a gamble, which may be worth it or not ...

Personally, I prefer microbrews which are not served onboard, so I choose to smuggle them.

In the end, simply enjoy the cruise....

Cheers!

Do you carry it on or put it in your 'checked' luggage'?

"However - do NOT expect it to pass the security inspection - if it's discovered it will be tossed"

Where and when is the security inspection? I thought you would go through security every time you came on the ship?

Do you carry it on or put it in your 'checked' luggage'?

"However - do NOT expect it to pass the security inspection - if it's discovered it will be tossed"

Where and when is the security inspection? I thought you would go through security every time you came on the ship?

All luggage is scanned when you get on board. There are threads here about being called to the "naughty room" where you open up your luggage and they check and if its booze, you say "bye bye booze". So don't expect it to pass inspection. If it makes it thru, bonus!! They are very good at identifying booze packages on the xrays!

Hand luggage is also scanned and all drinks being carried on are closely inspected to look for tampering and booze. Some folks have made an art out of replacing water with vodka and "resealing" their water bottles.....

When getting back on at Every port all hand luggage is xrayed and any booze you purchase onshore is to be handed it at a desk just past security where they tag it and return it to you the last nite so you can pack it in your luggage. ( luggage has to be packed and put outside your cabin the evening before you get off so they can offload it in the morning and you pick it up in the terminal - don't forget to leave out everything you need for the morning - including clothes!! :eek: ).

Now, coming back from a port, if the elevator lobby just past security is very crowded, it is possible to walk past the booze drop off desk and forget :rolleyes: to hand in your purchases before you get on the elevator - especially if they are not in booze boxes from the stores and are instead in some less obvious packaging. But again, don't expect to make it thru - if you do, bonus!

Re the drinks packages - both passengers do not have to buy - only one of you can get.

Congrats and enjoy! Emerald is a beautiful ship!

Another cc member has an awesome picture review of her here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Princess/EmeraldPrincess/index.htm

You will find that some people won't travel without a balcony, and some have tried it and never use it. You will learn your own cruise travel style as you go.

We love having a balcony. We have breakfast out their in our jammies, and cocktail hour every evening before dinner. We bring two bottles of wine and gift ourselves with a bottle of scotch (you can pre-order on the website and it will be in your cabin when you board). You can order snacks from room service, or just run up to the buffet and grab some nachos or cheese and crackers. It's divine. It's also nice to have a balcony if one of you wants to nap in the room and the other doesn't feel like wandering the ship alone. You can hang out and read, and maybe see dolphins or flying fish. Pretty sweet.

On sea days we use our balcony a lot. I am not supposed to be in the sun so much, so we lounge out there rather than at the pool. On CB last year I thought the aft pool was a great place to hang out if you're looking for fairly quiet. The central pools seemed to be busier. Like you I was concerned about being with so many people, especially after some of the small ship cruising we've done. But, I think Princess does a good job of spreading folks out. Even when the weather is bad and EVERYONE is indoors, you can always find a spot somewhere to hang out.

As for excursions, we've done both kinds. When choosing to go independent (we are doing only independents on our next cruise), our rule of thumb is to tell the tour operator to be back at least one hour BEFORE the last tender. That gives us a two hour window before the ship actually departs. If you go with a reputable vendor (and we have found many through CC recommendations), they will be diligent about getting you back. Their business depends on it. Also be sure to check if there is a difference between ship time and local time. We always keep our watches at ship time so there's no confusion about when to be back.

I too recommend booking ship excursions early, because the popular ones will sell out. There are endless discussions about the excursions on CC's ports of call boards. The Cozumel one alone will keep you very busy reading for a long time. :) Princess excursions are very well organized and their descriptions on their website are fairly detailed so you know what you're getting.

Be sure to check the weather for Houston before you go. It was cool when we were there last March and a sweatshirt or jacket was needed for sail-away. Also, Texas has some weird alcohol rules and until the ship is out of Texas waters, there will be a limited selection of alcohol available.